• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do I fit in?

Avid Smasher

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=631]Do I fit in?[/drupal]

Smash Bros...it's a love hate thing for me as of late. Yes, the games are fun and all, but I never could be good enough to tangle with better players. Growing up during school, I was always the 2nd fiddle or worse when it came to smash bros. I'd mostly lose more than win, even though I tried everything and practiced.

Zoom ahead to Brawl and now, I even lose to the computer quite a bit. people always say how easy it is to learn their patterns and beat them, yet it seems i'm the only one who has trouble regardless. I hardly win online too, anyone or friends. Now I'm afraid to make challenges or accept because I'm thinking "Is this just going to be another horrible match where I lose 1-4?" I try, I really do, but it doesn't seem to be good enough and I don't know what else to do. I see everyone make big rooms for games and tournaments, and I feel left out because I'm not good enough to join in.

On top of that, I feel alone when it comes to this game, mostly because of how I want to play. I always want to have a few items on, play 5 minutes, free for alls, and all that. Yet, it seems every smash player in the world only cares about Final Destination, 3 stock, no items. Am I forced to play alone forever since no one likes my way of play?

I know you're all probably thinking how silly this all is. Maybe it is, I dunno. I just feel helpless with a game I kind of like to play, yet I can't even do something simple as coming close to winning or have fun.

strangely mundane

Smash Journeyman
Umm.. on this site you are a minority, but elsewhere playing brawl with items is the norm so don't feel left out. I doubt you'll have much trouble finding people who play like this. On the matter of getting better the best advice I can give you is to practice, sorry if this doesn't help much but some people don't seem to understand the importance of practice and experience.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
An off-topic Melee dis? As long as we're making off topic disses...

Brawl is a worthless piece of trash...*points to avi* the disc had it coming...smashing it was a proud moment for me...
Bah, I can't see your avi.

But you smashed the disc?!?!

YOU ARE AWESOME.

In response to the thread, you're not really a minority. As was said, you are here, but everywhere else no items on Final Destination has a negative connotation and people who play like that are called tourney***s or some other insult.

BladeRadio0

Smash Apprentice
If it's items you're looking for then just don't get into competive brawling. I host brawl tourneys and I'm not that good at brawl compared to most people. Try the freind finder www.smashboards.com/ff and you'll have a good chance of finding people that wanna practice or just have fun and have the same problem as you.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Casual Smashers are just as large (if not, WAAAY larger) in number than competitive smashers.

Don't worry about it.

Items aren't for everyone. But they are a whole lot of fun.

james452

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=631]Do I fit in?[/drupal]

Smash Bros...it's a love hate thing for me as of late. Yes, the games are fun and all, but I never could be good enough to tangle with better players. Growing up during school, I was always the 2nd fiddle or worse when it came to smash bros. I'd mostly lose more than win, even though I tried everything and practiced.

Zoom ahead to Brawl and now, I even lose to the computer quite a bit. people always say how easy it is to learn their patterns and beat them, yet it seems i'm the only one who has trouble regardless. I hardly win online too, anyone or friends. Now I'm afraid to make challenges or accept because I'm thinking "Is this just going to be another horrible match where I lose 1-4?" I try, I really do, but it doesn't seem to be good enough and I don't know what else to do. I see everyone make big rooms for games and tournaments, and I feel left out because I'm not good enough to join in.

On top of that, I feel alone when it comes to this game, mostly because of how I want to play. I always want to have a few items on, play 5 minutes, free for alls, and all that. Yet, it seems every smash player in the world only cares about Final Destination, 3 stock, no items. Am I forced to play alone forever since no one likes my way of play?

I know you're all probably thinking how silly this all is. Maybe it is, I dunno. I just feel helpless with a game I kind of like to play, yet I can't even do something simple as coming close to winning or have fun.
i fell the exact sme way except it only people online who i'm having trouble with the comp's
to me seem impossible to trick i'm lucky to get two stocks of a lv 8 :(

Cease Tick

Smash Ace
@ TC:
Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Getting better can be hard to do alone. I would get the help of a friend. As for the way you play, it may change as you get better, but really you can play however you want :)
P.S: So your username means you're overcompersating? lol jk :laugh:

Avid Smasher

Smash Rookie
The thing is, I rarely find people around my skill level. Either I get people who are too hard or too easy. As said before, I feel that I don't "fit" in because of lack of skill. I seen how good people can get and I got served many times myself, which is why I feel afraid to play anyone else now. Not only that, but most of my friend matches are nothing but lag fests, which makes playing almost impossible. I just feel lost with all this.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
melee is really stupid
That's what she said. And by she I mean.... V V V V V V V V V

Now what do you say=???

@ Avid Smasher (nice name by the way; I'm surprised it wasn't already taken! >_<)

Tell whoever you are playing to stop playing Final Destination so much (in moderation it's okay). Tell them all the cool players don't like it (just look at what crazy legal [but not nuetral] stages all the "pros" pick), except in moderation. Play a better stage....like Dream Land 64, Hyrule Castle, Mute City, Fountain of Dreams, Delfino Plaza, or Smashville (yes I had to throw my favorites out there! :chuckle:).

Other then that if you want to get better (at any smash bros. game) just look no further then the forums you are on. That is, unless you are happy with the level of play or the way you play (which is totally fine). Other then that....just have fun. ;)

On a different note, you know what the funny thing is about this? People who play "your way" are generally the overwhelming majority, and this situation is usually the opposite of the one you are explaining (with competitive players being few versus a ton of casuals), lol! :chuckle:

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm ashamed to say I'm probably taking this worse than you are. If I ever get into the mood to pick Brawl back up again, we should trade FCs. Seriously, though, check my last blog (if it's still up) to see how bad a deal I've made this into.

Avid Smasher

Smash Rookie
I'm still trying as everyone told me, but gah....I still get beaten badly. Hell I even came in last place a few times. It's like, I try to be competitive, I fail. I play around, I still fail.

And I really don't see how my "kind" (non tourney players) are the majority. Everywhere I go, it's always tourney play. I always thought that's just how things are.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i still think the game should be first and foremost fun even in competition, so try not to get down on urself

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
I'm still trying as everyone told me, but gah....I still get beaten badly. Hell I even came in last place a few times. It's like, I try to be competitive, I fail. I play around, I still fail.

And I really don't see how my "kind" (non tourney players) are the majority. Everywhere I go, it's always tourney play. I always thought that's just how things are.
JackieRabbit has the best idea; first you find a way to enjoy what you're doing. Don't make every brawl fight a chore; see it as a good way to enjoy yourself or play with your friends or anyone who wants to fight. Be willing to accept defeat as much as victory. Only when you look at it that way can you then begin to think on how to play well.

My own advice is to look for a different playstyle. If this means playing your characters differently, then fine. If this means picking a different character, then see how it goes first. Think about how you want to win, even if it's only for a second, and be ready to let your instinct guide you. If one tactic doesn't work well, try another until you find one that works.

Brawl's not meant to be given up on, after all.

Cinder

Smash Master
Wel, nothing's meant to be given up on...but yeah, it's a good idea to adapt your own playstyle...I tend to get some ideas for my Doc from different Doc users (i.e. Bob$, SmashMac, 18Spikes), but in the end, I'm not an exact copy of anyone I know...Smash is meant to be a game where you can develop your own style...

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
If you want to get better, losing > winning.
Although you want to win as proof of your efforts, it
benefits a lot more to lose than to win. Back in the days
of melee (when I had no track to the competitive scene)
I was the absolute best of my circle.

(trying not to sound arrogant. I was trash, but not among my peers)

I rarely ever lost matches, but I wasn't getting better. My brother
eventually surpassed me near the end of Melee's life, and now
all of his losses against me are paying off. Now that he's better than I am
I'm improving too, and we're both much better than we used to be.

Nowadays, I'm in the Dallas community getting it handed to me in 19 out of every 20 matches. I try to see each loss as an opportunity to look at what went wrong.

Try not to get discouraged swimming in the bigger pond. It WILL make you better, as determined as you are.

And, if you are looking for casual play w/ items and on spear pillar (YESS!!!) then it shouldn't matter what skill level the players are at, as long as you both want to just chill and use items.

Sorry for the wall. I just don't like to see people getting discouraged XD.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think that's because casual smashers don't have to go out looking for other casual smashers.
It's just a matter of getting a few friends around and playing :)

Avid Smasher

Smash Rookie
I just got back from a few rounds from a friend who wanted to play and I came in dead last in every single one. I feel really horrible. I know losing is supposed to make you learn etc, but come on this is killing me.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I really suggest you look at character guides if you want to get better on the Brawl character boards. O, and ban Meta Knight. That should fix a lot of your problems. :laugh:

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, I went to an on-campus event to watch a few Brawl matches (presumably casual, since I saw items). To be honest, I stayed for a while, but left after the match that was Marth-Samus-Snake-MK. I think I've been scarred for life.

Anyway, I guess I'll turn Brawl on tomorrow and see if I can tackle this problem myself.

Oh, and Avid Smasher, I'm in the same boat as you are about losing. Sure, it's inevitable, and sure everyone is gonna have a streak, but when I lose about 10 or so times to the same group of people, I kinda begin to question where I'm going wrong with this whole thing.

Anyway, if I get time to tomorrow, I'll send a PM. Or you could just add me here and I'll add you and then I guess the PM won't be necessary.

Top Bottom