• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do corrupt politicans even know fear or suppression?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mean, whether it be republicans or democrats, even though I will mainly but not fully talk about the republicans who support Trump and Russia (yes, there are those who do), I wish to say something and then ask;

It seems not enough of such corrupt politicians know fear or suppression well. They may suppress other groups like other races and the LGBT+, but I do not think these people suppressing them have experiences the hardships that can come from life, especially, but not limited to what these politicians can put people through. Now, this is not the only factor that may determine how a politician becomes corrupt, but it is something I think I have noticed, nonetheless. I mean, some politicians already fear losing their power, as power can be like a drug that can overcome a person, or some may not care, but in the latter case, those people are just being ignorant, not knowing that actions have consequences; just like Donald Trump himself, who caused an insurrection on January 6, 2021 and even though he has a lot of cases going on against him right now, some dealing with an insurrection itself, he is trying to delay them and saying that many of the charges against him should not apply to him at all, even though he is no longer president...for now, that is. I cannot say for certain, but I do not think he is one who has gone through the same hardships and the same suppression and fear that he would life to impose on others.

Now, let me bring up an analogy from a video game: Guzma, who you may know from Pokemon Sun and Moon, was a bad guy, the leader of Team Skull and all. However, after trying to capture the Pokemon, Nihilego from Ultra Space, which lead to him being controlled, he felt fear for the first time, and that lead to him disbanding Team Skull later on. Now, another example is the alternate universe of The Transformers multiverse where the show, Transformers Prime, fits in. Megatron, the leader of the Decepticons and a bad guy, dies at the end of that show, but is revived in a sequel movie where he is possessed by another bad guy, the planet eater, Unicron. That said, while possessing him, Unicron apparently suppresses Megatron himself in a big way, so when Megatron is freed from Unicron's control, and his henchmen ask for him to lead the Decepticons again, he declines, saying that he now knows what is like to be suppressed.

Now, I am aware that both cases are of fiction, and not real life. Still, fiction often reflects on things that happen in real life, including emotional things. Whether or not what I just described that occurs in real life here, I still think that most corrupt politicians who suppress people of any group do not seem to go through the same kind of hardships, suppression and fear of those they try to suppress, and they may not understand the consequences of their actions. The same can probably be said for those politicians' supporters, if for different reasons whether it be of ignorance or just being a bad person. I mean, suppression has lead to overthrowing of governments before outside the United States. In the case of the United States, though, people, if they do not like such politicians, can just choose to not re-elect them. Trump apparently did not see or care why he was not re-elected, and that lead to him causing that insurrection.

In other words, I don't think that those politicians are well developed in character and as leaders without knowing and facing hardships, consequences and suppression as well as fear. I am not saying though that they would be better people and leaders if they did, though, far from it, actually; it is just that I don't think they have the right to suppress others if they have no experience in or know of being suppressed themselves. Suppression can work both ways, and to me, power only serves to delay the inevitable. These politicians do not seem to be well balanced in terms of bad and good things happening to them, if you know what I mean, and while bad things are usually frowned upon in life, learning from them and developing from them to become stronger is what makes a good leader, and I do think the strength that good leaders are supposed to have is something that these corrupt politicians lack, for it is possible (though not the only factor) that they are not as well developed.

But enough of my rambling; if you did not want to read this whole thing, at least please answer this (even though I know that, again, this is not the sole factor of why corrupt politicians are the way they are): Do you all think politicians that are corrupt do not understand or have not experienced suppression, hate, fear and hardships well enough?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It used to be but after Reagan survived it's been very uncommon for a political figure/pundit in America to even face backlash let alone fear for their safety. Stuff like when Nancy's husband got Got it's like woah guess your private detail in retirement isn't exactly Arnold sitting outside. Maybe they took the night off because her detail is a subcontractor of the defense department (perk?) and she wasnt there so... That's where a divided country usually ends up anyway I saw that incident specifically as an after tremor from Jan 6.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It used to be but after Reagan survived it's been very uncommon for a political figure/pundit in America to even face backlash let alone fear for their safety. Stuff like when Nancy's husband got Got it's like woah guess your private detail in retirement isn't exactly Arnold sitting outside. Maybe they took the night off because her detail is a subcontractor of the defense department (perk?) and she wasnt there so... That's where a divided country usually ends up anyway I saw that incident specifically as an after tremor from Jan 6.
If you don't mind me asking, could you explain more as to what you meant by the first sentence here?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sorry I'm referring to this.

After that security got very tight and it would be years before Fox News became the "voice of America."
Yeah, but...

I am pretty sure I meant before those people became political figures.

Sorry, I did not make it clear, but I am sure I was not talking about during their political career. I meant bad things happening to them long before them, from being bullied, denied rights and things, etc. The thing is, these people tend to be Caucasian, rich, poorly raised by parents and other environmental factors, whatever, so they don't develop into what makes a good reader often and probably do not understand the pain and suffering of those they suppress, like the poor, other racial groups, people like the LGBT+, etc. And with that, they end up becoming political leaders who are not even qualified to lead. Also, It doesn't help that this society in the United States is prone and biased for Caucasians, especially the "normal" ones without things like different disabilities or sexual orientation, among other things.

I mean, yet, those people who become political leaders and are corrupt are still seen as heroes by some. Honestly, to be a hero, one has to be shaped, and I don't think these kinds of leaders are shaped that well. I have seen people who have gone through worse who could have become better leaders.

In other words, our society is messed up.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ohhh I gotcha.. um I think yes to an extent especially with alpha prone men in particular who tend to bully their way ... Trump for instance is a large loud man and if you're within earshot you're a yesperson anyway so ... But why is he like that? That's what privilege looks like. I have no doubt he was probably bullied himself lol but hey maybe reason will win out in the end?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ohhh I gotcha.. um I think yes to an extent especially with alpha prone men in particular who tend to bully their way ... Trump for instance is a large loud man and if you're within earshot you're a yesperson anyway so ... But why is he like that? That's what privilege looks like. I have no doubt he was probably bullied himself lol but hey maybe reason will win out in the end?
I have no doubt he was bullied, too.

But yeah, I do think reason will win out in the end. It may not always win out against humans, but to me, logic is a force of nature; one that can't be changed by those such as Trump. Whatever happens, reason and logic will always give us the means to fight back.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I would say they probably fear the minorities they hate to some degree!
For example ever since White People became a casual insult i started going slightly into that direction too (obviously i try despratly not to become awful or bad) But fear can lead top hate! Obviously that doesnt apply everytimeand obviously that fear doesnt have to be for your live but perhaps your culture or something!

And no just for context that going into that direction is just some intrusive thoughts!

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I would say they probably fear the minorities they hate to some degree!
For example ever since White People became a casual insult i started going slightly into that direction too (obviously i try despratly not to become awful or bad) But fear can lead top hate! Obviously that doesnt apply everytimeand obviously that fear doesnt have to be for your live but perhaps your culture or something!

And no just for context that going into that direction is just some intrusive thoughts!
White people have not to my knowledge been used as a casual insult. Context is important to determine if its an insult or not.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Context is like giving an example of a sentance in which the insult is used.

I agree with you that using White to refer to negative behavior is bad.
From what I gathered from consuming political media. When the term "White people" are used. Its used to point out how society particularly American society seems to over value Whiteness. Its more of a criticism of a racial power structure than an actual insult.

Top Bottom