• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do bombs blow up on contact?

-Whiplash-

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silva-Silva
3DS FC
4527-7465-9250
Seriously. They need too. It was terrible in brawl. (like everything else about her but that's besides the point.)

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
They do explode on contact with a player *but* they currently hit and damage a shield once and then disappear without creating the actual explosion... this is something we're working on addressing but realistically won't be fixed for 3.0. =/ Sorry it isn't perfect yet but the explode on contact + overall bomb jump physics + SWD are still massive improvements.

MVP

Smash Ace
They do explode on contact with a player *but* they currently hit and damage a shield once and then disappear without creating the actual explosion... this is something we're working on addressing but realistically won't be fixed for 3.0. =/ Sorry it isn't perfect yet but the explode on contact + overall bomb jump physics + SWD are still massive improvements.

that's totally ok :awesome:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

So, they act like they explode, but they don't explode at all, or I'm missing something here?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Even if they aren't perfect yet, having Samus's bombs explode on contact will at least warrant their use still like in Melee.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So, they act like they explode, but they don't explode at all, or I'm missing something here?
I believe he means they hit a shield kind of like if you dropped an item onto the shield, then disappear immediately without the explosion. Kind of like Peach's brawl turnips.
I could see PMBR temporarily working around this by giving the bombs damage on the initial hit equal to their explosion damage and vice versa, keeping their overall damage on successful hit the same while allowing the extra damage on the initial hit to cause a suitable amount of shield stun.

br8k

Coolkid
So no bomb > d-air on shield for P:M Samus then? That's one of my favorite things to do with Melee Samus, but ICE UPPERCUT and a host of other ridiculous things will more than make up for it if it's not there.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The bomb still locks the opponent in their shield for 5 frames on contact before disappearing so it's not totally useless in that regard, it just doesn't trigger the actual explosion at the moment.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Is 5 frames enough for Samus to finish the bomb animation without being punished? ...probably not... unless I can get the swd down...!

My question is, can Samus cancel her bomb jump (from the explosion) with anything? (like in melee)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Is 5 frames enough for Samus to finish the bomb animation without being punished? ...probably not... unless I can get the swd down...!

My question is, can Samus cancel her bomb jump (from the explosion) with anything? (like in melee)
SWD won't really be necessary in this situation. The way bomb jumps are useful is because bomb jumps are cancelable by anything--really it should always be a surprise to you that something in this game does not resemble Melee. If you can get a bomb to explode on an opponent's shield, you usually want to use that to get a bomb-jump so you can waveland/dair/some other shenanigan out of bomb jump and keep up the pressure. Bombs in Melee were either used to set up localized ground control, cover space below you while falling, or to initiate pressure strings and frame traps. SWD actually made most of those goals impossible.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If you can get a bomb to explode on an opponent's shield, you usually want to use that to get a bomb-jump so you can waveland/dair/some other shenanigan out of bomb jump and keep up the pressure.
That would be great if like... you know... bomb jumps worked on shields.

Here's hoping it does by December...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Oh, I misread Shell's post. With that in mind, though, SWD still won't help. SWD happens something like 25 frames after the bomb comes out. If you're dropping a bomb on someone's shield, they'll have twenty frames or so to swat you for trying it if you can't bomb jump to give yourself advantage. Bombs will be pretty much useless on block until they can get that fixed.

Top Bottom