• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC, yes or no?

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
For the most part I don't want to see DLC at all in Smash, I want to pay for my game and be done right there, I do not want locked or cut content, that **** is ********. I want every character that they plan on adding in to be there from the start, **** paying for more characters as they come out, it'll only make it harder for other people to start playing because not everyone has money to dump into a game because if they did they would probably just be playing LoL or something.

I wouldn't mind seeing patches/bug fixes though, balance is always nice. With the 3DS they do have the power to do this, as they have with Mario Kart 7.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I want every character that they plan on adding in to be there from the start
Yeah don't we all but we're talking Sakurai here, it's just not realistic. He always plans to have everything known to man only to leave everything known to monkeys. Judging by the first 3 games, every character that is planned will not be getting in and that's why DLC is a good thing. Characters and features that get cut because of deadlines have a way to still be included.

You don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that.

Also I want to say to all DLC downers out there, paid DLC has been doing great for Nintendo financially. You all better prepare yourselves mentally because in all likelihood Iwata will want Sakuri to have paid DLC whether he wants to or not. Not saying it will happen, but the chances are very high.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Yeah don't we all but we're talking Sakurai here, it's just not realistic. He always plans to have everything known to man only to leave everything known to monkeys. Judging by the first 3 games, every character that is planned will not be getting in and that's why DLC is a good thing. Characters and features that get cut because of deadlines have a way to still be included.

You don't want it, don't buy it, simple as that.

Also I want to say to all DLC downers out there, paid DLC has been doing great for Nintendo financially. You all better prepare yourselves mentally because in all likelihood Iwata will want Sakuri to have paid DLC whether he wants to or not. Not saying it will happen, but the chances are very high.
From what I've researched about the making of each Smash Game Sakurai does love to try and get EVERYTHING in there and then scrap some of it. My real problem is what will happen if Player X and someone Player Y and want to fight? X didn't buy the character that Y mains, so will they not be able to fight? If they can fight, does that mean X has the content on his game but can't use it? If they can't fight, that means X is being Locked out of content that he payed for.
A good example of what I'm talking about would be Call of Duty (World at War? Not sure which one) on the 360. On one of the more previous games if you wanted to hook up two systems for system link and play with more people, unless each box has the same updates and DLC, they won't be able to play because they "have a different version". Which is BS because if they wanted to play they could just make it so that the extra content wouldn't show up on the other one. The real problem with this is because player X didn't buy the DLC he's getting locked out of the content on his disc that he payed for simply because he didn't keep up with his DLC subscription.

I also want a game that will last for years, I mean look at Melee! It's been going for YEARS and it's still going strong. I personally believe that it wouldn't be like this now if they had made the game with the intention of selling DLC with it because everyone would have different versions. And at some point in the future when people want to play it years after it's release, they won't be able to buy the content that they want because the game will be too old, thus shutting them out of content because they didn't get it while they could (or they lost it).

Overall, DLC is just a bad idea in my opinion. Granted, there are ways to fix some of the issues that I've brought up but they just bring more problems than they solve. Most DLC (imo) is just a tactic for developers to jew more money out of consumers.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
In fighting games, DLC is always available for free. You have to pay if you want to actually PLAY the DLC.
Like Playstation All-Stars did: when you connect online after a new DLC is out, you download a patch which is basically the new content, and then you have to buy it from the Store to actually use it. But if you don't want, you can still play online against people who do.

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
I think that downloadable content would be a great way to give the players more, and help the game's developers with their infamous time constraint problems. Instead of totally scrapping characters/stages/features that were planned, they could just be released later. Whether you have to pay for it or not, getting fun new things that we otherwise wouldn't is pretty nice.

"Saving" some less important things for DLC could shave some time off of the development wait, and it would be a great way to renew interest in the game later on. Especially if characters/stages from totally new series were introduced - some rather improbable characters from series like Naruto could attract people from totally different fan bases and result in more people buying the game; earning more money for Nintendo even if the DLC itself doesn't cost a cent. That seems like a win-win.

So I think DLC is a sweet idea overall. It would be awesome if the content were free to everyone, but I would probably buy everything anyway if it weren't. I love the series to death and more ways to play would be wonderful.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
As for me, DLC would be good for adding music, character costumes & balancing, stages & possibly new single player modes along w/ fixing any bugs or glitches in the game.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm usually against DLC but for the Smash Bros series it's a different story because adding DLC to the Smash Bros series would be incredibly fun and having character DLC wouldn't be to bad depending on how long it took Sakurai to create a character's unique move set.

I think all DLC should come with the game and shouldn't follow in other gaming companies/Capcom's foot steps.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm not too keen on the idea of paid DLC. But I suppose my main issues with DLC come down to the specific circumstances of releases in another series and wouldn't really apply to Super Smash Bros.

The thought of continuous releases of new characters after the release of the game would actually make me very happy. Because unlike in Brawl where all of my hopes were permanently crushed for the game, even if my top character and beyond didn't make it, I could still have hope that they'll be added on a later date.

But I DON'T want them held back for me to be charged more for on a later date.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
This is my stance on DLC:

This could very well be the last Super Smash Bros. game. What better reason to release the characters and stages that so many people want, right? It's like in Rock Band. They couldn't have all the songs that everybody wanted in the game on the disc, so they did about 5 years of downloadable songs to get those songs so that they didn't have to release a new game every year.

That could be the same for this Smash Bros. game. They could gauge the popularity of what the fans want for stuff that's not already in the game or had to be cut or couldn't be added due to over-representation or time, and release it later as DLC. That way, they can take as long as they need to make sure the characters are balanced, so when we pay for this extra content we are getting our money's worth.

And like Vintage Creep said, (And yes, Blazblue DOES DO THIS) if somebody does not want to buy a particular DLC Character, they would release a free patch that at least adds the character data to the game so you can still play against that character. The same can't really be said for stages though. Stage DLC would have to be on a separate play list, so that everyone has to have it in order to play on it. It would be pointless to release it if you could just play on it for free if one person you play against online has it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Here are my thoughts.

Patches = NEEDED
The user created content. (Basically what Brawl did)
An option to upload replays to YouTube. (I would love this)
Stages and Characters must be cheap. (At least cheaper then the DLC from PSASBR)
Trophies and Stickers should be free.
Music packs would probably be at least half the price of a character or stage.
Stage builder props packs. (Background and foreground props and NPCs, new stage backgrounds, etc.)
Characters and stages cut during development should be patched in latter. (So they would be free like they should be) Or offered the same way Mario Tennis DLC characters were offered via QR codes. (For 3DS users)

Now, heres a list of characters i think would make it as DLC. (Below are my thoughts. So don't take these ideas seriously)

1. Zael (The Last Story)
2. Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
3. Another Kirby character. (Knuckle Joe or Bandana Dee)
4. A new Mario character. (Bowser Jr. or Toad or Waluigi)
5. One new third party. (Layton or Slime or Bomberman or Simon Belmont. Just some examples)
6. Shulk (If he isn't in the full game)
7. A new Kid Icarus rep. (Medusa or Magnus or Palutena if she doesn't make it into the full game)

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Does no one in the world understand the good parts of dlc? Everyone complains about getting a half-finished game, but would you rather just wait for the game to be released years later and then ignored? I don't recall anyone complaining about "expansion packs" for older games, and there is no difference between the two.

And yes people there is a grace period between when the game is done and when it is released. It only makes sense. The games have to be continuously tested, approved, and then produced. So the day 1 dlc comes from developers working during that time period. Would you rather they just release the game and then ignore it, or have the developer continuously support the game?

Now with the pricing. Should it be free? Yes, that would be amazing. Is it realistic to be free? Not at all. People put time and effort into making this content, so shouldn't they be compensated for it.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Yes.

Please have DLC

And please use the NFC Reader. I'd love to order trophies from Amazon or any retailer of new characters to unlock them in Smash Bros. And please have dem AR cards or have these figurines be compatible with 3DS.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want them to hold anything back in development with the intent of later making it DLC. But like Ridley said we're talking about a series averaging one game every 4 years. If it means getting a few extra things after a year or so with the game then conceptually I'm all for it.

But of course not everybody in the world has wireless internet coming out of their ears to be constantly updating things (myself included), so I'd prefer it to work more as occasional expansion packs rather than regular patching. If possible, maybe make it downloadable on a regular PC and then transferrable via memory card for installation on the console. That way people without an adequate internet connection could still get the new content by downloading it at a friend's house or whatever.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yes please to DLC.

-Free patches, of course.
-Free things like trophies, stickers, and items
-They could do daily or weekly Event Matches or challenges (free, of course)
-Cheap/free music
-Cheap/free costume packs/stage textures
-Paid stages
-Paid characters

They'd start with things they couldn't get in the final game due to time constraints, and possibly move on to things the fans want. If there was day one DLC I can only imagine it would be free with the game.

Didn't Sakurai say he woulda done DLC in Brawl if he could've?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
The game should be completed right when it launches. DLC should be done something similar to Fire Emblem Awakening, like maybe DLC for events, stages, items and even characters.

Although I heard that Sakurai isn't a fan of paid DLC, which is why Kid Icarus: Uprising never had one since we've been asking for an online trading system.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
The game should be completed right when it launches. DLC should be done something similar to Fire Emblem Awakening, like maybe DLC for events, stages, items and even characters.

Although I heard that Sakurai isn't a fan of paid DLC, which is why Kid Icarus: Uprising never had one since we've been asking for an online trading system.

In a Nintendo Power interview he said he likes DLC when it's done right. And Nintendo didn't really push forward with DLC until NSMB2, which came out several months after KI:U.

x kharmah x

Smash Cadet
yea i think there should be DLC because there is lots of possibilities of thing they can add like new characters costumes stages and music. and i belive that some of the stuff should be free we should understand if we do get DLC we would have to pay anyway

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If Nintendo would turn around and use the excess profit to sponsor Smash 4 then yes.... If it handles the profit like it would any normal game then no. In other words... No.
You're high, right? Where can I get some?
Fire Emblem: Awakening and New Super Mario Bros. 2 have DLC that are simply extra stages.

FE's DLC is basically new chapters where you get characters from previous FE games. It's not essential to the story and you can enjoy the game without buying DLC.
intelligence!

Not everyone has the money to afford the internet; no DLC (except new character costumes, since it's not game breaking or anything)
this is a terrible argument

I'm not going to pay $60 for a half-finished game and then fork over additional more for **** that should have been on the disk in the first place.
"Hi, I know nothing about game development. Watch me as I look ignorant."

As long as they don't go the Capcom route then DLC would be acceptable to say the least.
I like you.

Also I say yes. Seeing how Super Luigi U worked as well, it'll be fine. Be minded, I'm not 100% for DLC or anything. Marvel vs Capcom 3 had a bit of money grubbing over it's costumes and not doing characters (YOU CHARGE FOR AMATERASU WITH A JON TALBAIN OUTFIT??!?! BWHAHAHA... REALLY?!) I think however it can be done well. Also be minded I wasn't going to buy Super Luigi U until they released it to the crowd

As for posting more about it and how game development works, after the game goes into it's final phases, there isn't really much for artists to do. Would you rather a bunch of artists get laid off or a bunch of those same good artists be making more additional content, even if you have to fork more money for it? Don't even deny that if it was all reasonable, you would buy into it. I saw people packed for Brawl's release: I literally was the first of a hundred people to get my copy of Brawl and play it all night. There's a lot more I can say, but it gives the art staff more to do and adds more replayability plus longevity and aging well

Here's more specifics though, for all you worry warriors:

-Costumes should be completely free or a dollar more at most.
-Characters five at most.
-Stages in a pack. 5 is good as long as they're original stages.
-Balances should be free
-Event Matches and additional content sound good to me.
-Don't do something stupid like release only the first month or year or so. Spread it out.
-Don't overdo it but don't underdo it.

In a Nintendo Power interview he said he likes DLC when it's done right. And Nintendo didn't really push forward with DLC until NSMB2, which came out several months after KI:U.
More facts for you to drill your heads on: From the beginning to the end of Brawl's development, Brawl had three other producers and Melee (and 64) had four who worked at least as much as Sakurai did. To top that off, while Producers (Or Producers who are Lead Producers, aka Director's) do... much different things than people actually think. I'm studying to be one, so I know.

While they'll have some input on it, there's still a lot more to consider. I'm hoping if it's done well it's all done right. I like this over here:
Here are my thoughts.

Patches = NEEDED
The user created content. (Basically what Brawl did)
An option to upload replays to YouTube. (I would love this)
Stages and Characters must be cheap. (At least cheaper then the DLC from PSASBR)
Trophies and Stickers should be free.
Music packs would probably be at least half the price of a character or stage.
Stage builder props packs. (Background and foreground props and NPCs, new stage backgrounds, etc.)
Characters and stages cut during development should be patched in latter. (So they would be free like they should be) Or offered the same way Mario Tennis DLC characters were offered via QR codes. (For 3DS users)

Now, heres a list of characters i think would make it as DLC. (Below are my thoughts. So don't take these ideas seriously)

1. Zael (The Last Story)
2. Aeron (Pandora's Tower)
3. Another Kirby character. (Knuckle Joe or Bandana Dee)
4. A new Mario character. (Bowser Jr. or Toad or Waluigi)
5. One new third party. (Layton or Slime or Bomberman or Simon Belmont. Just some examples)
6. Shulk (If he isn't in the full game)
7. A new Kid Icarus rep. (Medusa or Magnus or Palutena if she doesn't make it into the full game)
Mostly reasonable right here. Also don't go patch crazy. While we want to balance the game, I don't want to re-learn the game meta every two months.

finalark

SNORLAX
"Hi, I know nothing about game development. Watch me as I look ignorant."
Capcom does this **** all the time, as does EA. Hell, Dragon Age Origins and ME3 had entire party members, who were completely functionally and already fully programmed into the game, cut so they could be DLC.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Capcom does this **** all the time, as does EA. Hell, Dragon Age Origins and ME3 had entire party members, who were completely functionally and already fully programmed into the game, cut so they could be DLC.
...Your point being? The on-disc with SFxT wasn't that bad (some weren't even completed) and I do remember hearing a bit differently about ME3.

Granted, I'll agree with you that for the most part on-disc DLC and stuff like that is stupid, and charging for say costumes is just greed, but sometimes it really does help keep most (if not all) of the studio alive. Despite Brawl's sales, Sora LTD had a bunch of cuts.

And there's still companies that do it well.

Donghae

Smash Apprentice
im ok whit dlc.... i would love to see dlc costumes for free ofc .-. X3 keke

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Just going to throw this out there......any characters that were cut from Brawl could potentially be re-added as DLC. (Snake and Sonic included if Sakurai feels like going after them again)

EpicChiefBob

Smash Rookie
Yes 4 DLC.

New Characters, Stages & Costumes are what i would hope for if the game got DLC, idm paying a few £'s for it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd absolutely love DLC characters. DLC characters would be a great way to cater to dedicated fanbases that aren't big enough to warrant the character's inclusion in the base game.

So long as the pricing is done right and not gouging, of course (looking at you, MvC3)

I trust Nintendo enough not to screw us over by cutting content with the intent of saving it for DLC just to earn more money. If it was Capcom, I probably wouldn't want DLC, but Nintendo? They've still got my trust. If Brawl had character DLC, we might not have needed to lose Mewtwo and Roy.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
If it means patches to clear up and major imbalance, then yes.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
As long as they don't do something stupid like cutting stuff to make it DLC, than absolutely. Free balance updates would be awesome, and even more awesome is the prospect of Fawful as a character.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Good. Anyone who plans DLC is cheating the consumers. I like his mentality.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Good. Anyone who plans DLC is cheating the consumers. I like his mentality.
You realize that Sakurai can get more content in the game if he uses DLC right? If he uses DLC theoretically, there were be more space as the extra content would be stored on the console and not the game. It's not like he's gonna purposely cut content out just so it could be DLC. He would probably just use it to include veterans who were cut for what ever reason back into the game.

Besides, he only said he had no plans at this time. He didn't rule it out. Don't get too hasty.

Spire

III
BRoomer
You realize that Sakurai can get more content in the game if he uses DLC right? If he uses DLC theoretically, there were be more space as the extra content would be stored on the console and not the game. It's not like he's gonna purposely cut content out just so it could be DLC. He would probably just use it to include veterans who were cut for what ever reason back into the game.

Besides, he only said he had no plans at this time. He didn't rule it out. Don't get too hasty.
Uh, that's not what I said at all. I would rather get a game Sakurai feels is 100% complete, even if some veterans were cut for space's sake. I am excited to see the "final product", with cuts and all; it comes down to my interest in human decision. If we get cut veterans as post-release DLC, that's just bonus and I'm a-okay with that.

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
DLC is one of those things i'm always picky about. while i think for certain Balance patches are a must, because some of us don't want another meta knight tier character forever now do we?

When it comes to DLC characters, i'm all up for such a thing, provided they handle it properly. say if the DLC characters were free, or they cost maybe $1/2 (totally would be fine with that) and I doubt entirely that they would be dumb enough to make this DLC then lock out everyone who doesn't have the DLC from playing. that's a huge slap to the face that nintendo doesn't do.

Top Bottom