• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC, yes or no?

QWA

Smash Apprentice
I haven't had any experience with how Nintendo handles DLC but I am very against it due to my past experiences.
Wait... what? Even if your past experience is based on that of other companies and their mistakes, that doesn't really apply to this situation.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As I've seen these days how well Nintendo has done right with DLC, Nintendo wouldn't ever yank our chains with a game that is half-finished or has stuff on-disk (infact didn't they themselves they WON'T do that once?)

Anyway, if they made DLC, it'd just additional content that is optional and prolongs the game's lifespan. And it's not required to enjoy the game. I'd be pretty glad if we got some characters we couldn't get for the final game or even if, get some extra characters which might appeal to certain audiences (retro and so on)

Also I'm sure it'll be cheap as hell, so it's pointless to complain the game eating your money like a glutton. (Also Super Luigi U)

finalark

SNORLAX
Let's say that's $75 for fun.

If you take away inflation, that's about the same cost as a game worth $50 about 10 years ago.

And given that games used to be a lot more expensive (I remember buying DKC2 for like $80 after it was 2 years old! YIKES!), that's not the big of a deal for this quality of a game and this kind of game that rarely comes around (like 1 per every 3 years).

Now if we're talking about Call of Booty or the Sims, then that crap is ridiculous, and it should die forever.
PlayStation 1 games were $40, not $80. That was only an issue if you had a Nintendo 64 back then.

But regardless, I guess I'm just wary that Nintendo will abuse DLC the way I've seen other companies do it.

I'll just stick to what I've said before with "we'll see."

BlixtG

Smash Rookie
If there is no DLC to balance and fix the game after it has been released, we will have a metagame that once again is focused around just a few characters.
IMO they could do it as a lot of other games do it. Have cosmetics that you can buy, and in that way finance free patches that include fixes, stages and characters.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
PlayStation 1 games were $40, not $80. That was only an issue if you had a Nintendo 64 back then.

But regardless, I guess I'm just wary that Nintendo will abuse DLC the way I've seen other companies do it.

I'll just stick to what I've said before with "we'll see."
PS1 games were sometimes $60, especially in the case they took multiple discs (like MGS1 and FFVII-IX), at least where I live. And $60 back then means a heck of a lot more than $75 now, and $40 then would equal around $60 now, due to US currency inflation.

And like I said, games before the 5th generation of gaming were expensive. My grandfather bought his first NES for well over $500 (more twice what the Wii cost at release), and the games for that were no less than $80 for a long time. Back then, and even up to parts of the Super Nintendo era buying games was a huge investment. With paid-for-DLC for a game as jam-packed with content as smash, it certainly looks to be a bargain compared to that.

Also, like I said, not all DLC is paid-for-DLC. Brawl had (outdated) free DLC, but DLC. I think we can expect stuff like that for frame rate fixes, online fixes, some new content here and there, bug fixes, and just overall stuff to make the general games better, and make these 2 games connect to each other very well.

Paid-for-DLC is a specific issue, and quite frankly, I don't see it being used, aside from maybe once or twice for a reasonable price (no more than $5 per any kind of DLC) for something like a lot of stages, items, extra content, or heck, even characters (perhaps we could get the version of these 2 games' "Forbidden 6/7" post-release; I certainly would be willing to pay a big sum of money for Roy, Mewtwo, and Dixie in Brawl).

Sakurai seems to go light on the DLC when he chooses to use it. He tends to be the type that wants something done, and then do minimal work on it later. He also wouldn't make a cheap cash in for something stupid like "Horse Armor" or $5 for 1 map (I would pay the $5 if it was Dreamland 64!) :facepalm: after making us buy 2 games for about $100. Plus, as it is, Smash WiiU should cost a heck of a lot more than $60, given how it's going to somehow have way more content than Melee or Brawl (which blows my mind).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
They'll be able to fit everything onto the disc without DLC...unless you're wanting 1000000 chars, 100000000 stages, etc. Cutting chars and stages out, making the player pay to play those chars and stages, if that's what you're saying, is kind of a silly decision...
You're really looking at it the wrong way. They will include what they can ultimately include but time will always be the issue in what is cut and what is not. Brawl had some unexpected inclusions that in all likely hood excluded Mewtwo to make a deadline.

After the main portion of the game is done they release it. There will always be things on the cutting room floor or an idea to keep thet game interesting months and years after release. DLC that doesn't take advantage of the consumer is the way to do it. And you know what? That's exactly how Nintendo has done it so far. Not to mention Sakurai and all his philosophies about game design, Iwata will certainly want DLC and some of you think Sakurai will just allow us to be nickel and dimed? Absolutely no way.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To add on to what RomanceDawn said, imagine if we got the bulk of the Forbidden Seven in Brawl via DLC.

We could have had Mewtwo, Roy, Dixie Kong, and Plusle & Minun (as a team) playable, making the roster have 43 characters. I would have easily paid whatever the asking price would be for that, but I doubt Sakurai and co would ask for about $6-$10 for all 4 characters (which is a reasonable price IMO).

I'm sorry, but if you don't want content like that (which wouldn't be included in the game any other way), then quite frankly, it's not up to you to say we shouldn't have post-release DLC, but up to the people willing to pay for it.

That's like someone telling a baseball team they want to watch basketball; it makes no sense as to why the company should fold to your opinions.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't mind about having DLC as long as it is done in the correct procedure.
But what is the correct procedure=???

-Lots of free "game fixing" updates=???
-Everything is free=???
-Characters, stages, modes and items sold as DLC (if sold at all) for the right price=???

What's your opinion on it=???

Personally, I'll pay anything and everything for DLC, but that's because smash is my favorite franchise ever, and I never can get enough of it.

D

Deleted member

I just hope Nintendo don't do the same thing like Capcom did in Street Fighter X Tekken. If that happens again, I'll go nuts.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Have I already said I hope we get alt costumes and characters with DLC? If not characters, we HAVE to get some alt costumes. They already experimented with that in Brawl, so now is the perfect time to expand. Come on Nintendo, Awakening's DLC's been a success. Learn from that!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Have I already said I hope we get alt costumes and characters with DLC? If not characters, we HAVE to get some alt costumes. They already experimented with that in Brawl, so now is the perfect time to expand. Come on Nintendo, Awakening's DLC's been a success. Learn from that!
I want Alt.Costumes sooo bad it would be sooo good !

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We already got Alternate Costumes via the Brawl Vault (google it, live it, love it, especially if you haven't already!).

But yeah, each character should have no less than 8 alternate outfits IMO. Quite frankly, having items and stuff to put on characters (ie: for Link, different swords and shields, for Mario, different outfits) would also make the alternate outfits much more fun. Seriously, making this kind of graphical stuff isn't that hard, and making some additional DLC (or the ability for players to make their own outfits without going over in game outfits) is a totally reasonable idea.

The same thing goes with Custom Stages (built outside the Custom Stage feature, and for Custom Stages having the ability to play multiple songs), and uploadable songs as well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
We already got Alternate Costumes via the Brawl Vault (google it, live it, love it, especially if you haven't already!).
Brawl Vault and I are very well acquainted! I tricked out P:M with it a few months ago, and plan to re-do everything once 3.0 comes out. I've been using K. Rool over Bowser and Dry Bowser for a while now. I'd just like to have costumes as official. Alternate items are a fantastic idea too! (Pills for Mario with a Doc costume, or not if you want to use Fire, etc.)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl Vault and I are very well acquainted! I tricked out P:M with it a few months ago, and plan to re-do everything once 3.0 comes out. I've been using K. Rool over Bowser and Dry Bowser for a while now. I'd just like to have costumes as official. Alternate items are a fantastic idea too! (Pills for Mario with a Doc costume, or not if you want to use Fire, etc.)
Trust me, I know bro. And with my idea, we could potentially have Mario dress up as a doctor, and if actual "alternate appearances" is a real thing for more than a handful of characters, hopefully Dry Bowser could be a thing as well.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Trust me, I know bro. And with my idea, we could potentially have Mario dress up as a doctor, and if actual "alternate appearances" is a real thing for more than a handful of characters, hopefully Dry Bowser could be a thing as well.
I dont know...do you need project m for this?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I does not have project m....
1. Buy/get/create a 1 or 2 GB SD card.
2. Google Project M.
3. Download Project M.
4. Download Project M onto your SD card.
5. Put the SD card into your Wii.
6. Start up your Wii and launch Brawl (don't do anything).
7. Go to stage builder and wait for the loader (then click start).
8. PROJECT M IS A GO! :cool:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
But what is the correct procedure=???

-Lots of free "game fixing" updates=???
-Everything is free=???
-Characters, stages, modes and items sold as DLC (if sold at all) for the right price=???

What's your opinion on it=???

Personally, I'll pay anything and everything for DLC, but that's because smash is my favorite franchise ever, and I never can get enough of it.
I would say a mixture of the two bolded above would be my opinion of the correct procedure for DLC and its also like you've just stated, that I too will be happy to pay for the DLC.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
If they want to patch the game then great, however as a general rule I despise DLC unless it provides some obscenely substantial content. I don't know if I will ever be able to fathom people's newfound adoration of being charged for things that could have been included in the initial release or polished and added later free of charge (ie. How **** used to be done). Blatent scams are in style these days I suppose.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yes.

DLC to balance movesets and fix bugs should be free.

DLC to aquire new content (characters, stages, events) should cost a small fee each time.
It's the only way they are going to have incentive to keep giving us new content for when we get bored.
Yes. This would give the other characters to have a chance to join. I.E, Shulk, Skull Kid, Mallo.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
In regards to paying for patches and the like, I'm positive Nintendo knows better than to even consider that.

DLC provides a huge amount of potential for the series. Just think of how many characters were cut or turned into clones due to a deadline. If they were in development prior to release and not finished, they could release them afterwards for free. Of course though, there is the possibility of having to pay for characters, which could make a lot of people angry. It's a mixed bag, but if they do go through with it, I doubt they'll make that many dumb decisions.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yes DLC. I made a few packs, here's one.

Majora's Mask Pack

Includes:
Young Link costume for Toon Link
Character Wearable Majora's Mask
Clock Town Music
Stone Tower Temple Music
Majora's Wrath Music
Special Stage Builder Parts (Clock, Deku Flower)
========================================
Skull Kid Trophy
Majora Trophy
Fierce Deity Costume for Link
Fierce Deity Trophy

Price: $4.99

And another, because I have no life.

Fire Emblem Pack
Includes:

Chrom/Ephraim Costume for Ike
Lyn/Eirika Costume for Marth
Tiki Trophy
Anna Trophy
Grima Trophy
Levin Sword Item
"Destiny Hogwash" Music
Barracks Theme Music
Special Stage Builder Parts (Event Tile, Lava Tile)

Price: $3.99

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
You'll have to excuse me for being lazy and not reading everyone's posts, but I think DLC would be an interesting idea for the 3DS. Sakurai wants the 3DS Smash to be more of an "individual" and "customizable" experience, so why not let people customize their games through downloads? People are inevitably going to complain when the game comes out and their wishes weren't granted, so why not give players some room to decide what they want?
I think costumes in combination with customizable moves are a great way to satisfy consumer demands for characters. If you want Roy back, you can download him as a costume for Marth and just change the moves from Marth's to Roy's. If you want Dr.Mario back, again, you can just download him as a costume for Mario and change the moves to be like Doc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty efficient.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Black Knight costume for Ganondorf is probably the worst thing I've read on this board in a long time.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Yes DLC. I made a few packs, here's one.
I'd assume they'd want to keep a similar amount of content in each pack/ keep them the same price. Why would the Majora's Mask pack be dearer than the Fire Emblem one?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Black Knight costume for Ganondorf is probably the worst thing I've read on this board in a long time.
I know :p

And @Jimmymebob

The MM pack has overall more, and unlike FE, has more costumes and time consuming things. That, and I really don't know why.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You'll have to excuse me for being lazy and not reading everyone's posts, but I think DLC would be an interesting idea for the 3DS. Sakurai wants the 3DS Smash to be more of an "individual" and "customizable" experience, so why not let people customize their games through downloads? People are inevitably going to complain when the game comes out and their wishes weren't granted, so why not give players some room to decide what they want?
I think costumes in combination with customizable moves are a great way to satisfy consumer demands for characters. If you want Roy back, you can download him as a costume for Marth and just change the moves from Marth's to Roy's. If you want Dr.Mario back, again, you can just download him as a costume for Mario and change the moves to be like Doc.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty efficient.
Sorry but Hellllllllll No....

D

Deleted member

They'll be able to fit everything onto the disc without DLC...unless you're wanting 1000000 chars, 100000000 stages, etc. Cutting chars and stages out, making the player pay to play those chars and stages, if that's what you're saying, is kind of a silly decision...
A million playable characters? Heck no.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
To be fair, I'm using a Black Knight model over one of Ganondorf's alt colors and it fits pretty well. It would be a lot better if Ganondorf had used a sword of course, but oh well.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Yeas there should be DLC.

No it should not all be free,I think there should be a small fee for acquiring certain types of DLC.

DLC Matches would be cool.

I think there should be some downloadable fighters.

I think patches should be free.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I oppose DLC characters. Little trinkets and trophies I can support because I won't really have to buy to practice for tourney or facing competitive players.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I strongly aid DLC because it will basically refresh the game and not make casual players quit a couple of months into the game. However, for competition, characters/stages added via DLC should be bann and competitive play should stick to the non-DLC characters/stages.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Some free patches to balance things out would be nice, but DLCs containing stages/characters? No thanks.

Top Bottom