• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So I have a Few Questions I want to ask you guys, just an estimate

-Who do you think was the Most Expensive character to get in terms of Upfront Costs and Potential Royalties to have rights to the use of the character for Smash Ultimate?

-Do you think any of the Characters reached ONE Million U.S Dollars (Convert to Yen and such) in Licensing Costs in order to use them in Smash?

-If Ultimate were to have a Sequel and Bring back every single 3rd party present in this game, How much do you think the Total Licensing would cost in general?

We won't know the exact prices since Companies are very secretive about that, but it be fun to hear guesses and such.
Hmmm quite interesting. Probably sora or Steve.

I don’t really see sora being expensive but because he had the Micky keychain in the cgi trailer and it appears on the mural art and in game, I’d think he’d be the most, if not, the 2nd most expensive character.

I feel like it’s probably Steve though due to being from the most popular game in the world. That won’t come cheap and being owned by Microsoft doesn’t help it either even though Microsoft is buddy buddies with Nintendo.

you gotta factor in that banjo was probably apart of that deal as well so the price was also bumped up even more from what it was so I’m gonna guess Steve costed the most.

Price range I’d say sora and Steve were probably the only 2 that costed over 1 mill with Steve costing the most.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Financial support for a product is not the same thing as actively desiring all its things you dislike about it, EVEN IF it encourages companies to continue those practices.

Pokemon fans did not buy SwSh because of cuts, they buy in spite of them. Big difference. Certainly doesn't fit osby's statement about a fanbase that actively wants less content which wasn't even true to begin with and was just them passive-aggressively insulting people by attacking a strawman.
No, but it does mean you are complacent enough to support the company who gives you less for more.

If you want BETTER quality in your product, do you give a company who is abandoning quality for profit MORE of your money, or LESS?

Also, the amount of people on social media who claimed they would buy multiple copies to make up for those who wouldn't because they have standards was rather large. Not sure how many of them did, but when people act like that, I can see where someone might think they WANT poor quality content. I mean, how many comments I saw over the whole thing where people tried to justify GameFreak or openly admitted that they didn't care about the lower quality was massive and stunning. EDIT: In some ways, it felt like people were acting like addicts who were okay with paying more for lower quality trips and making excuses for their dealer giving them lower quality goods for a higher price, all out of some weird desperation and irrational attraction.

However, this is different from Smash fans, who I've seen both here and on other social media praising the fact that there is no more DLC. Like, genuinely being happy that massive support like this for the game is over, and it tends to boil down to them not being able to handle how the community acts about this game and tying that to Smash instead of separating it like they should.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Can we talk about smash 6 when the game actually exsists?
Hmm...

But what if...

Nah. People have been friendly to me here recently, I suppose I shouldn't mess with that, despite how I personally don't care.

Let's let people enjoy Sora and the relaxation that comes from speculation winding down for a while before stirring the pot again.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.

I’d probably go with:

Waluigi
Bandana Waddle Dee
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainee
Toxicrity
Jill Valentine
Chosen Undead
Dante
Yuri
Master Chief
Crash or Sans

I really like the idea of rounding out all of the biggest Japanese gaming IPs with playable characters. I don’t think the Monster Hunter team will budge on a fighter though. They have everything but the fighter already (even if the stage is lame & only in SP). They seem adamant on Hunters not being the focus of the series; I don’t think there’s any Hunters in TEPPEN either.
Honestly, I would focus on redoing a lot of the preexisting cast in this scenario. For Base Game that would be the biggest focus. That, Smash Run, and Rollback. As well as some new Stages. The DLC is when the New Fighters would kick in because that would be the Marketing Gimmick. You see, I split the DLC into 2 Passes. A 5 Character New Series Pass, and a Six Character Returning Series Pass. Both would be the same price, with the Returning Series Pass only guaranteeing everyone Music. Half get Stages. As for my choices:
Returning Series Pass:
Pokémon (Gen 9 or 10 lmao. Base Game would get a new stage so no Stage)
Julius (Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War). For a Series like Fire Emblem, the fact that we don’t have a Villain is confusing to me. Thracia River is the new Stage.
Chun-Li (Street Fighter) She brings in a GOOD Stage, a Good Selection of Music, and Smash’s First Charge Character. She comes with the Capcom Pro Tour. A Legal Stage with Street Fighter Characters in the Background.
Octolings (Splatoon) They bring in a Moveset inspired by games other than Splatoon 1. Same with Music. No Stage since they would get a Stage Base Game.
Isla (King of Fighters 15) No avoiding the new generation. She’s a major focus of KOFXV, and would help represent the 2020’s of Gaming. No Stage, since the Stage she uses is Fourside, as well as a KOFXV Reskin of KOF Stadium being added.
Waddle Dee (Kirby Series) The Fan Favorite of this Pass is a Waddle Dee. Japan’s Second Most Wanted and the Player 4 of the Kirby Series, the Waddle Dee gets in. They get a Stage, based off of probably either Forgotten Lands, or the most recent game at the time.
New Series Pass:
Euden (Dragalia Lost) No avoiding Nintendo. If I’m allowed to put Two Third Parties into the Returning Series Pass, then I’m allowed to put some First Parties into the New Series Pass. Euden would bring in content from Dragalia Lost, including a Stage, Music, and other stuff. The Stage would be the Halidrom. You fight in front of the Castle, as Adventurers pass by in the Background. It’s Basic, but nice.
Arle (Puyo Puyo) That moment when you’re bigger than Sonic in Japan yet don’t get anything in Ultimate. Yeah, let’s fix that. She uses Spells to build up her Combos that make her more powerful. He Stage is the Magic School. This is a Basic Stage, which is basically a Reverse Battle Field but with a Small Base Stage and LongSide Platforms on the Side. Various Puyo Puyo Characters will pass by in the Background. When Hazards are On, these Side Platforms are used for a Game of Puyo Puyo. Neat.
Master Chief (Halo) Otherwise known as You should be here already! He’s the FPS Character, extremely iconic, and the face of the Xbox. Also this Pass’ Fan Request. He uses his Weapons to be a Jack of All Trades Swordie Zoner, but also had an extremely exploitable recovery as a weakness. His Stage is the Opening Area of Halo Infinite. A Simple Legal Stage, and basically Northern Cave’s Omega Form. Neat.
Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure) No avoiding the new hit. Also a Charge Character, but more Wacky. With this game doing extremely well, they’re a shoe-in. Their Stage is Dragaux Stadium. A Stage is Smaller than Coliseum, but just as much of a Flat Walk Off. Except here with Hazards On, Dragaux attacks the Stage Occasionally alongside summoning the occasional platforms. There’s always one moving platform from side to side when Hazards are Off.
Imposter (Among Us) Imagine the Thing, but in Smash. Yeah. It can also summon other Crewmates. Polus is the Stage, and it gets Music from other Indie Games, such as FNF, Rivals, and Deltarune. Now, can we stop posting about Among Us?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since we are talking DX edition (I think it would more likely be called something like "fan edition")

1- Rollback netcode
Yes.
4- More character tweaks (DK barrel throw/ barrel blast jump, Mario with Cappy, more runes for Link)
5- All game modes available online
Yes.
8- Return of old modes (Coin Mode, Story Mode, Boss Rush, user generated Targets and Platforms, Smash Run...but not Smash Bros Party)
9- Return of all old stages
Yes.
items (all old ones returning, like the fan, including toggle for visuals, such as all options for the Bumper)
Yes.
13- All old ATs and Pokemon, with the ones who became characters being reallocated to new characters with same function)
Yes.
14- Slight updates to existing echoes (especially Dark Samus), with Alph becoming upgraded
Yes.
16- Twelve character alts per character
I don't need 12 per character, but I need them to no have a specific cap for every character. It's annoying that every time they have to add an alt, they have to remove one. Just let there be more than 8 when they have more than 8.
Two more rounds of DLC
Yes.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But by buying the game you are basically supporting the decision the devs made when they chose to put in less content. Why would devs ever change their formula if their games keep making bank? Pokemon fans are aware of this but continue to support GF.

But you bought Smash because you could play with your favorite characters, a core component in Smash. In SwSh, a lot of the Pokemon have been cut, it's the same formula from the past 25 years, animations are lazy, game is incredibly easy, etc.. Pokemon fans know this but continue to support GF.
I’ve been a Pokémon fan since the original games and it’s gotten to the point that I won’t buy any more remakes or third versions again. The fact that the developers don’t seem to care about the series anymore really kills my enthusiasm for the games. Raising Pokémon also feels pointless now since there’s no longer any guarantee I’ll be able to bring them forward. I’ll probably keep buying the first game of each region because I like discovering new monsters as I play but I’m definitely beginning to get burned out on the series. I’ve mostly moved on to other monster tamer games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Monster Hunter Stories, and Nexomon.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The next Smash game regardless of being Ultimate Deluxe or not, definitely needs rollback netcode. Ultimate I guess has kind of an excuse by timing, but by now more and more fighting game series are adding rollback netcode to their games after fan demand. Guilty Gear Strive, King of Fighters XV, Nickelodeon All Stars... and in the case of Arc System Works and SNK they've been also adding rollback to some of their older games that are on Steam, such as Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Garou: Mark of the Wolves or KOF 2002 UM.

If the next game doesn't have rollback that would definitely be a big problem in my opinion.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I wonder if Nintendo deliberately wouldn't want to add rollback net code.
There's no incentive to not adding it, unless they really want us to look at Smash more as a party game than a fighting game ro something. idek
I don't think that's the case at all, but I'm still curious.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The next Smash game regardless of being Ultimate Deluxe or not, definitely needs rollback netcode. Ultimate I guess has kind of an excuse by timing, but by now more and more fighting game series are adding rollback netcode to their games after fan demand. Guilty Gear Strive, King of Fighters XV, Nickelodeon All Stars... and in the case of Arc System Works and SNK they've been also adding rollback to some of their older games that are on Steam, such as Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Garou: Mark of the Wolves or KOF 2002 UM.

If the next game doesn't have rollback that would definitely be a big problem in my opinion.
Feel like the net code may be more a hardware issue. It’s not as bad as a few months ago but I still get lag when browsing the eshop

and lest we forget Splatoon 2 whenever a Splatfest was on. ESPECIALLY FINAL FEST

bruh you’d see disconnected teammates every three matches either on your side or the other’s. And God help you if your other three teammates all DC’d

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I think just like you that anything else extra lives or dies at the VGAs.
I completely agree. the big challenge is the SSBU mural would have to be expanded for us to get additional fighter(s)

it tends to boil down to them not being able to handle how the community acts about this game and tying that to Smash instead of separating it like they should.
A person of rationality what a refreshment.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Feel like the net code may be more a hardware issue. It’s not as bad as a few months ago but I still get lag when browsing the eshop

and lest we forget Splatoon 2 whenever a Splatfest was on. ESPECIALLY FINAL FEST

bruh you’d see disconnected teammates every three matches either on your side or the other’s. And God help you if your other three teammates all DC’d
Not a big expert on the subject but as far as I know adding rollback to an already existing game is quite hard. At least, if we talk about modern games.
The best and more efficient way to add rollback is to create your own rollback netcode while developing the game, not after the game is finished.

So while it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to put rollback into Ultimate, I assume that at this point, it would be a significant "waste" of resources and time from their perspective. The game is already out, has sold incredible well, and people still play online despite the problems with the online infrastructure. I hope that they will change their stance for the next Smash game though, and I want to think they will. At that point more and more fighting games are going to add rollback: I'm quite sure Street Fighter VI will have rollback, and the same goes for Tekken 8 or Soul Calibur VII.

After that, the pressure would be high for Nintendo. They could just not listen the demands and still sell a lot of games though, that's the problem. Smash is ****ing massive lol

TraaP

Smash Cadet
So do you think Nintendo will do another Fighter’s Ballot? I doubt it but it seems it was pretty influential for Ultimate: returning all veterans, Ridley, Simon, Chrom (kind of), King K Rool, Banjo & Kazooie (presumably as I believe it hasn’t been mentioned anywhere) & Sora

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Doesn't Arms have rollback netcode?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
cracks knuckles
Okay, Ultimate Deluxe wishlist:

Gameplay Features
-Rollback netcode.
-Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
-Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
-Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive play.
-Boss Rush mode.
-Bring back the Smash Run map as a Battle Royal. (64 players teleport in. Players run around killing creeps and collecting upgrades. Map shrinks over time. Last 4 surviving players have a Smash match.)
-Bring back all missing Stages, Items, ATs, etc.

Character Changes
-Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset based on Hyrule Warriors Trident Ganondorf. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
-Replace Mario's FLUDD with Cappy.
-Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate Fighter, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
-Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his Echo. Make Roy Marth's Echo.
-Make Mythra into Pyra’s Echo.
-Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
-Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
-Expand the definition of Echo to include Dr. Mario and Pichu.

New Content
First, hold new Smash Ballot

Base Game:
Mii Mages

DLC Pack 1:
1. New Pokemon
2. Ballot Winner #1
3. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
4. Ballot Winner #2
5. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]

DLC Pack 2:
6. Ballot Winner #3
7. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
8. Ballot Winner #4
9. Kunio/Riki [River City]
10. Ballot Winner #5
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
82e. Roxas [Kingdom Hearts]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Swordfighter:
Crono [Chrono Trigger]
Frog [Chrono Trigger]
Randi [Secret of Mana]
FF1 Fighter [Final Fantasy]
FF1 Ninja [Final Fantasy]
Majima [Yakuza]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Kuros [Wizards & Warriors]
The Knight [Hollow Knight]

Brawler:
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Kiryu [Yakuza]
Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
FF1 Monk [Final Fantasy]

Gunner:
Quote [Cave Story]
Jason [Blaster Master]

Mage:
Ashley [WarioWare] (converted from Swordfighter)
Viridi [Kid Icarus] (converted from Swordfighter)
Lip [Panel de Pon] (converted from Swordfighter)
Veronica [Dragon Quest] (converted from Swordfighter)
Aerith [Final Fantasy] (converted from Swordfighter)
Eggplant Wizard [Kid Icarus]
Kamek [Super Mario Bros.]
Reimu [Touhou]
FF1 Black Mage [Final Fantasy]
FF1 White Mage [Final Fantasy]
Magus [Chrono Trigger]
Chocobo [Final Fantasy]
Slimes/King Slime[Dragon Quest]
Majima [Yakuza]
Rygar [Rygar]
Abobo [Double Dragon]
Vic Viper [Gradius]
Mike Jones [Star Tropics]
Sophia 3rd [Blaster Master]
Bernard [Maniac Mansion]

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’ve been a Pokémon fan since the original games and it’s gotten to the point that I won’t buy any more remakes or third versions again.
I buy only what I need to in order to keep my Living Pokedex complete.

Also, Third versions aren't really a thing anymore. They've been replaced by DLC packs instead.

Not a big expert on the subject but as far as I know adding rollback to an already existing game is quite hard. At least, if we talk about modern games.
The best and more efficient way to add rollback is to create your own rollback netcode while developing the game, not after the game is finished.
It has less to do with building your own netcode, than it does building the game engine around rollback in the first place.

For example, Melee was actually quite easy to insert rollback into, because it just happens to be build in the way that works best for rollback(which has something to do with the way the game runs it's mechanics at a base level, then renders graphical stuff on top based on what's going on in on that base level, I don't understand the specifics). Whereas other games that weren't designed that way it's actually quite hard to add rollback to them.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So what mario character is making it in base roster next game. Think we can all agree that Mario is guaranteed a character in base roster since there’s been one every game. If I had to narrow things down I’d say the most likely choices to least likely choices are

captain toad
Toadette/captain toadette
King boo
Kamek
Paper Mario
Nabbit
Waluigi
M&L rpg rep (fawful, midbus etc)
Shy guy
Birdo

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So do you think Nintendo will do another Fighter’s Ballot? I doubt it but it seems it was pretty influential for Ultimate: returning all veterans, Ridley, Simon, Chrom (kind of), King K Rool, Banjo & Kazooie (presumably as I believe it hasn’t been mentioned anywhere) & Sora
Probably not for a while. While there have been massive gaming shifts since 2015 (several popular series were super close to a renaissance or astounding debut, and others widely considered joke picks and downplayed as possibilities at the time like Master Chief would benefit a lot from Cloud's inclusion and the long list of pattern breakers we got from Ultimate's DLC, while others such as Paper Mario and Lloyd Irving would fall off after a while, and most importantly of all the install base for Smash Bros. is far larger now than it was back then so somewhere around 3 million votes could happen at least, if not more), I think Nintendo won't do it to preserve the uniqueness of the ballot and to prevent raised expectations now that every known big ballot hitter has happened. There would be outrage if the number 1 ballot fighter once again didn't happen and they had to use somebody as a scapegoat.

But while I think it is unlikely, I do not think it is past the point of not happening. I just think we won't see another fan vote for a while. Until like, 2027. Even if we get another Smash before then I still wouldn't count on it, especially if Sakurai is directing again as there's probably more unfulfilled requests from the first ballot.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.
I'd pick:
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee
  2. Krystal
  3. Isaac
  4. Octoling
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Medusa or Viridi
  7. Runerigus
  8. Geno
  9. Reimu Hakurei
  10. Frisk or Papyrus
  11. Shovel Knight
Sub in Quote for one of them if you think Nintendo wouldn't be averse to working with Nicalis. (Probably one of the AT characters depending on how they'd be handled in a rerelease.)

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So what mario character is making it in base roster next game. Think we can all agree that Mario is guaranteed a character in base roster since there’s been one every game. If I had to narrow things down I’d say the most likely choices to least likely choices are

captain toad
Toadette/captain toadette
King boo
Kamek
Paper Mario
Nabbit
Waluigi
M&L rpg rep (fawful, midbus etc)
Shy guy
Birdo
The monkey climbing mini game from Mario party 8

Technomage

Smash Champion
What I would like to see in the next game:
• Spring Man gets promoted giving us 2 Arms reps.
• Alph breaks away from Olimar and becomes his own character with Rock Pikmin in him moveset.
• I’m torn on what new Zelda character I want to see in–either Linkle, Impa, Urbosa or promote either Midna or Ghirahim.
• Dixie Kong makes a lot of sense for the next game.
• Echos include: Ms. PAC-MAN (PAC-MAN), Tom Nook (Isabelle)
• New Kirby rep from the new game.
• Final boss in Metroid Dread, just shrink them down a bit.
• Whoever that male character was at the end of the Bayonetta 3 trailer.
• Capcom reps I torn between Chun-Li, Morrigan with a kid-friendly outfit modification, Phoenix Wright or Dante
• Any of the Assassin’s Creed protagonists.
• Akira from Astral Chain.
• Gen 9 Pokemon.
• NO NEW FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
• No cuts.
What I'd like:
1) More Western representation
2) Some FPS reps (including Master Chief)
3) No more Fire Emblem milking
4) More differences added to Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus (enough to give them different playstyle outlines from their clone templates)
5) Smash Run
6) More bosses, as well as a Boss Rush mode not limited to one character; also, give dialogue to Dracula akin to this video
7) Master Hand mode that can be played anytime after being unlocked
8) The next Pokemon fighter to not be another starter in a row (the Pokemon fighter after that, however, can be another starter and I'd be okay with that)
9) No cuts
10) Elder Scrolls character (whether it be the Elder Scrolls 6 protagonist or Skyrim's Dragonborn; maybe even Sheogorath)
11) Scorpion with Sub-Zero as an echo; also, a Mortal Kombat stage that involves Johnny Cage making comments from the peanut gallery (akin to Azurda on that Xenoblade 2 stage)
12) More representation from the other Final Fantasy games
13) Much better online

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd pick:
  1. Bandana Waddle Dee
  2. Krystal
  3. Isaac
  4. Octoling
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Medusa or Viridi
  7. Runerigus
  8. Geno
  9. Reimu Hakurei
  10. Frisk or Papyrus
  11. Shovel Knight
Sub in Quote for one of them if you think Nintendo wouldn't be averse to working with Nicalis. (Probably one of the AT characters depending on how they'd be handled in a rerelease.)
I can't see Nicalas being a big obstacle. Nintendo's worked with Microsoft, Disney, Konami, and Ubisoft. One ****ty company isn't gonna stop them if they really want someone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It doesn't.

It's just such a slow-paced game by nature of its gameplay that input delay is barely noticeable.
I'm not sure why you're spreading misinformation when ARMS does, indeed, have rollback netcode. Like that's been established for a good long while.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I’d probably go with:

Waluigi
Bandana Waddle Dee
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainee
Toxicrity
Jill Valentine
Chosen Undead
Dante
Yuri
Master Chief
Crash or Sans

I really like the idea of rounding out all of the biggest Japanese gaming IPs with playable characters. I don’t think the Monster Hunter team will budge on a fighter though. They have everything but the fighter already (even if the stage is lame & only in SP). They seem adamant on Hunters not being the focus of the series; I don’t think there’s any Hunters in TEPPEN either.
2B
Amaterasu
Black Shadow
Crash Bandicoot
Elma
Master Chief
Medusa
Nightmare
Phoenix Wright
Ryu Hayabusa
Scorpion

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since everyone's predicting either a Smash 6 or an Ultimate Deluxe (or a combination of both), I'd like to share a different possible outcome: A Marvel vs. Capcom-like crossover fighter between Nintendo and another company!

Now, what companies would Nintendo most likely do that with, and what characters would each of those possible scenarios have?

PS. It'd also be a spin-off, since it could convince many people to not complain about roster cuts.

Another PS. What if Nintendo were to do a crossover fighter with Nickelodeon, combining Smash Bros. with All Star Brawl?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since everyone's predicting either a Smash 6 or an Ultimate Deluxe (or a combination of both), I'd like to share a different possible outcome: A Marvel vs. Capcom-like crossover fighter between Nintendo and another company!

Now, what companies would Nintendo most likely do that with, and what characters would each of those possible scenarios have?

PS. It'd also be a spin-off, since it could convince many people to not complain about roster cuts.

Another PS. What if Nintendo were to do a crossover fighter with Nickelodeon, combining Smash Bros. with All Star Brawl?
This or an Ultimate being ported and adding new stuff is the best route.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What I'd like:
1) More Western representation
2) Some FPS reps (including Master Chief)
3) No more Fire Emblem milking
4) More differences added to Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus (enough to give them different playstyle outlines from their clone templates)
5) Smash Run
6) More bosses, as well as a Boss Rush mode not limited to one character; also, give dialogue to Dracula akin to this video
7) Master Hand mode that can be played anytime after being unlocked
8) The next Pokemon fighter to not be another starter in a row (the Pokemon fighter after that, however, can be another starter and I'd be okay with that)
9) No cuts
10) Elder Scrolls character (whether it be the Elder Scrolls 6 protagonist or Skyrim's Dragonborn; maybe even Sheogorath)
11) Scorpion with Sub-Zero as an echo; also, a Mortal Kombat stage that involves Johnny Cage making comments from the peanut gallery (akin to Azurda on that Xenoblade 2 stage)
12) More representation from the other Final Fantasy games
13) Much better online
I can agree with pretty much all of this. Ideally, I’d also like to keep everything we currently have.

SKX31

Smash Master

So while it wouldn't be impossible for Nintendo to put rollback into Ultimate, I assume that at this point, it would be a significant "waste" of resources and time from their perspective. The game is already out, has sold incredible well, and people still play online despite the problems with the online infrastructure. I hope that they will change their stance for the next Smash game though, and I want to think they will. At that point more and more fighting games are going to add rollback: I'm quite sure Street Fighter VI will have rollback, and the same goes for Tekken 8 or Soul Calibur VII.

After that, the pressure would be high for Nintendo. They could just not listen the demands and still sell a lot of games though, that's the problem. Smash is ****ing massive lol
TBF Nintendo did upgrade their general net infrastructure recently. And I have to imagine that the "FixUltimateOnline" uproar last year (and Slippi / Parsec gaining prominence - both of which can and do work with Dolphin) played at least some part in that.

Now they don't deserve all the blame - Bamco has apparently a history of mediocre-at-best netcode and this translated to 4 and Ultimate. Still, there's quite a bit of pressure on them to switch netcodes too for the same reasons; they also know which potential pitfalls to avoid (SFV for example).

So yeah, rollback might be one of the biggest priorities for at least future Smash games. It's not a silver bullet and requires consistent manpower presence (4-12 engineers can do it in 9-12 months, with additional support needed post-launch according to a certain GDQ talk (link to the PDF - page 3) but the delay-based netcode has been mostly leapfrogged by now.

I'm not sure why you're spreading misinformation when ARMS does, indeed, have rollback netcode. Like that's been established for a good long while.
Wait, it actually does?

Well, I learned something today, I guess.
That does give some hope re: Smash's future if they could do that with ARMS (sure, a smaller scale game and what looks like a budget implementation, but still). Especially if Sakurai now has a dev team close by that utilizes the technology.

I strongly doubt they'll do it for Ultimate for the reasons SNEKeater SNEKeater mentioned, but it's still worth noting.

I’d probably go with:

Waluigi
Bandana Waddle Dee
Officer Howard
Ring Fit Trainee
Toxicrity
Jill Valentine
Chosen Undead
Dante
Yuri
Master Chief
Crash or Sans
All right, I'll join for fun:

Waluigi
Ring Fit
Officer Howard
Ayumi Tachibana
Style Savvy
BWD
(If we're getting a Pokemon as one of the first party spots instead, Rillaboom so far.)

Master Chief
KOS-MOS
Dante
Adol or Reimu
Dota 2's Invoker. Would also happily take that game's Juggernaut, Morphling, Lina or Anti-Mage instead.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

If I had my pick, I’d love to see either Nintendo vs Square-Enix or Nintendo vs Microsoft. It’s too difficult to choose between my favorite SE and Rare characters.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know, in hindsight I'm kind of surprised Steve never got the Brawl Wario/Smash for Little Mac treatment. He had every reason to get a little extra in the alt department. The 8-alt standard is a bummer. Luckily, Ultimate modding is getting very close to eliminating it...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Y'know, in hindsight I'm kind of surprised Steve never got the Brawl Wario/Smash for Little Mac treatment. He had every reason to get a little extra in the alt department. The 8-alt standard is a bummer. Luckily, Ultimate modding is getting very close to eliminating it...
I’m really looking forward to trying out some mods but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about screwing something up and getting my account banned or Switch bricked.

On a related note, what are the current TOS for discussing mods on this site? I used to share a bunch I made for Brawl here years ago but I don’t know if the policy has changed since then.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I’m really looking forward to trying out some mods but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous about screwing something up and getting my account banned or Switch bricked.

On a related note, what are the current TOS for discussing mods on this site? I used to share a bunch I made for Brawl here years ago but I don’t know if the policy has changed since then.
1. It's very hard to get your account banned and even harder to get your Switch bricked. Piracy and online cheating will get you banned (obviously) but more innocuous things like, well, game mods, will not, so long as you don't play online with mods that alter gameplay (that means no Giga Bowser.) As for a brick... you'd pretty much have to try to brick it, honestly. There's no easy way to do it, let alone accidentally. Follow instructions - preferably a text guide and not a YouTube video - and there's hardly anything to worry about, assuming your specific unit can be modded.

2. I have no idea.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
It is unfortunate, since I would have loved to see DLC costumes for non-Miis; however, I've heard that would actually cause difficulties in loading and stuff (such as the delay with the character portrait appearing on the CSS when selecting an alternate costume). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom