• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC skins

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If my time playing Warframe is anything to go by, people are pretty willing to shell out money for fashion accessories

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can't see it, they need to make them for dozens of characters. I prefer if DLC focuses on Mii Fighter costumes, they can always use more customization.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We never got it before which leads me to think why for Ultimate. But we’ve learned “never say never” so who knows. Maybe we might get DLC outfits. It would be nice.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Possible.
Yet I still cannot tell a defined difference between Alt skins, echoes, and clones. So what can I say.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Can't see it, they need to make them for dozens of characters. I prefer if DLC focuses on Mii Fighter costumes, they can always use more customization.
As somebody who doesn't really enjoy using Mii Fighters (really mostly just used them in Smash 4 to have an excuse to play as Inklings), this really seems like a huge waste. Why only do this for one (set of) character(s), when there's so many fighters waiting to get wonderful alts for themselves? They don't even have to do this for every fighter in the game, just a handful once in a while would be nice. It'd suck if your favourite(s) wouldn't get this treatment, but at least it's better than just doing this for the Mii Fighters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As somebody who doesn't really enjoy using Mii Fighters (really mostly just used them in Smash 4 to have an excuse to play as Inklings), this really seems like a huge waste. Why only do this for one (set of) character(s), when there's so many fighters waiting to get wonderful alts for themselves? They don't even have to do this for every fighter in the game, just a handful once in a while would be nice. It'd suck if your favourite(s) wouldn't get this treatment, but at least it's better than just doing this for the Mii Fighters.
Yeah... that is why I always thought the Mii's made more sense as a character creation. They sort of feel like that, except the worst of all worlds.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Just like people buying skins on League of Legends, and other games like that sells like hotcakes, Nintendo would be stupid to not take advantage of this, they have so many options here...

Release them in sets, make $.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I'm almost willing to bet they'll have paid skins. I don't know if they'd do seasonal skins that might not suit the character, but I could definitely see lore based skins sold in packages.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Considering Miamoto recently said in an interview that game developers "don't need to be greedy to be successful," I can't see them adding DLC costumes to non-Miis.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see a couple of Echoes being DLC tho. Especially high-demanded ones as say, Shadow.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Considering Miamoto recently said in an interview that game developers "don't need to be greedy to be successful," I can't see them adding DLC costumes to non-Miis.
Not everything that can potentially make money is greedy. This would greatly enhance the game for me and probably thousands of others. I wouldn’t begrudge paying for that.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
We definitely need such a thing to happen this time around! And as of matter of fact! I've a list of alternate outfits I want to see included in the game itself! And here they are!

The Top #10 Alternate Costumes I Want To See In Super Smash Bros Ultimate (As Alternate Costumes And Not Included As Echo Fighters/Clone Characters) (Either Available From The Start Or, Unlockable Content, Or Future DLC)!

#1. Ness- Either Robot Ness Or Ness Wearing His Pajama's (Both Are From Earthbound/Mother 2)

#2. King K. Rool- Either Him Wearing His Boxing Outfit (From Donkey Kong 64) Or Baron K. Roolenstein (From Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!)

#3. Cloud Strife- Either His Appearance From Kingdom Hearts 1 Or Cloud Wearing A Shinra Guard/Soldier Outfit (From Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII)

#4. Chrom- Either Great Lord Chrom (From Fire Emblem: Awakening) Or Knight Exalt Chrom (From Fire Emblem Heroes)

#5. Simon Belmont- Either Him Wearing His Red Knight's Armor (From Castlevania II: Simon's Quest) Or His Appearance From Castlevania Chronicles (The 2001 Playstation 1 Video Game)

#6. Toon Link- Either Toon Link Wearing His Outset Island Clothing With Him Not Wearing A Hat (From The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker) Or Toon Link Wearing Engineer's Clothes (From The Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks)

#7. Sonic The Hedgehog- Either Sonic Wearing Link's Green Tunic (From The Sonic Lost World Zelda Zone DLC Map) Or Classic Sonic (From Sonic Generations)

#8. Captain Falcon- Either His Retro Appearance (From The F-Zero SNES Instruction Manual Comic Book) Or Captain Falcon Without His Helmet (From F-Zero X)

#9. Fox McCloud- Either His Outfit From Star Fox Adventures Or His Outfit From Star Fox Assault

#10. Samus Aran- Either Light Suit Samus (From Metroid Prime 2: Echoes) Or Fusion Suit Samus (From Metroid Fusion)

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas (If they are good choices or bad choices)!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I hope there are alt costumes. there really should be just to represent the characters from different games they come from just like wario

Last edited:

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
Honestly, it'd be a nice option to have.

I enjoyed the Mii's in 4, but I think people would like getting nice looking alts for their mains.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Why isn’t this more popular? I can’t be the only one who absolutely despises their favourite character’s designs in Ultimate?!

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Because we don't want Smash Bros. to be a money-factory, companies that do that kind of thing neglect their game for profit.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm doubtful they'll do it outside of for the Miis again since their whole shtick is being fully customizable.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
They made a whopping 36 Mii DLC costumes for Smash 4. I'm thinking they'll spend that same amount of effort working on post-release echo fighters, but skins aren't out of the question. Say it takes a third of the effort to make a mii costume compared to an echo. Then we'd be looking at 12 echo fighters. I can't even name 12 echo fighters that I think would represent that character well.

Skins, or at least Echo fighters that only have aesthetic differences, would be preferred, as it gives us less characters to buy for one Smash setup at tournament.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If my time playing Warframe is anything to go by, people are pretty willing to shell out money for fashion accessories
If my time playing Dragonball FighterZ is anything to go by, a game developed with Bandai Namco involved is pretty willing to not give the sheller-outers the costumes they obviously want.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If my time playing Dragonball FighterZ is anything to go by, a game developed with Bandai Namco involved is pretty willing to not give the sheller-outers the costumes they obviously want.
Doesn't even have to be costumes, give someone a bunch of color palettes (like a normal set, a saturated set, and holiday themed sets) and you can occupy them for days

Oddball

Smash Lord
Possible.
Yet I still cannot tell a defined difference between Alt skins, echoes, and clones. So what can I say.
Clones are almost the exact same character except for a few minor changes.
And Echoes are almost the exact same character except for a few minor differences.
and Alt skins are the exact same character except for a difference in how they look.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
And Echoes are almost the exact same character except for a few minor differences.
and Alt skins are the exact same character except for a difference in how they look.
No, Clones mean the same as echo fighters, it's just that "clones" was used by the community while "echo fighters" is the official term. Though, most of the past echo fighters are now called "semi-clones".

Alt skins = Costumes
Echo-fighters = Character based on another one with the same moveset but include minor changes (animations, sounds, model/texture, weight, attributes or hitbox modifier). = Clones
Semi-clones = Past "echo fighters" that are given enough changes in moveset to be defined as "half clones".

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
No, Clones mean the same as echo fighters, it's just that "clones" was used by the community while "echo fighters" is the official term. Though, most of the past echo fighters are now called "semi-clones".

Alt skins = Costumes
Echo-fighters = Character based on another one with the same moveset but include minor changes (animations, sounds, model/texture, weight, attributes or hitbox modifier). = Clones
Semi-clones = Past "echo fighters" that are given enough changes in moveset to be defined as "half clones".
... that's... pretty much what I said.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Alt skins = Costumes
Not really.
There seems to be as much of a difference from Chrom to Ike as there is from Mario to Dr Mario, or Young Link to Toon Link.
Hell, some of the Echoes seem to have more unique specials (compared to their 'base' characters off whom they were echoed) than characters who you list as semi clones of each other.

The echo argument stands in being as confusing as always, defined as minimally as necessary. It's just a marketing ploy that is working well.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
They could pull a CD Projekt and make the dlc skins free.

If anything that would increase sales of the base game. A fighting game what’s not nickel and dimming me of dlc

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would love to see alts for characters (not for whatever reasons you might have), but they’re not something I actually need to enjoy a character

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I really wish we got an MGS1 Snake.
It's my personal favorite, and comes from the game he is most famous for.

Not a fan of the body suit and straps of his MGS2 design.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I really wish we got an MGS1 Snake.
It's my personal favorite, and comes from the game he is most famous for.

Not a fan of the body suit and straps of his MGS2 design.
This isn’t just a vehicle for me to complain about Samus. EVERYONE has their own personal favourite version of a character they love. Imagine how happy everyone would be to have that incarnation in the “ultimate” smash bros! :D

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Love the little passive-aggressive touches there, real nice :p
A minor touch like that is needed every once in awhile, not as all in as...
can you like stop whining about samus every other post? its ****ing irritating.
...but yeah you do have a good idea on downloadable alts (without the use of mods of course), since a variety of characters could have costumes that might never be seen in the base game

Top Bottom