• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@Burruni, we've found the gold mine my friend. Anyway, it's possible that retailers are only now giving out download codes, as for the Amiibo, I'm confused, he specifically told me that Shovel Knight was coming to Smash and that he'd get his own Amiibo, so wouldn't that mean that there'd be a Shovel Knight series Amiibo and a Smash one?
So the original article and video, both made by Tamaki, do not mention this. Why? That is fairly newsworthy. This is, again, where you sound alarm bells. Its very convenient that NOW retailers are selling Smash DLC after you post a rumor with "retail sector sources." This sound like damage control. The same can be said when the amiibo got leaked the morning of its reveal. Tamaki said it was not the final one, but it was. Again, its damage control and likely him hoping it was a mock-up. Keep in mind, this is someone who tweets about SK fairly often. He tweeted out again that Yacht Club games is covering it up (my words, not his).

Could the rumor be true? Maybe. You don't know until it actually happens. The reason I bring these up is there are some red flags. Why retail sources. Why then, later, you claim that stores are selling DLC? Why does he claim the real amiibo wasn't final? And all the while you have instances of (what appears to be) self indulgence and poor research (#GamerGate, Devils Third). Again, what is keeping the rumor going is Tamaki's own words and his constant reminder that it is going to happen. With Brawl, there was a greater amount of skepticism and nothing was taken at face value. With Smash 4, everyone forgot that which had made it easy for all these fakes to go on forever when they should up and die in a few days. Stay skeptical.
Tweet from roger

https://twitter.com/RogersBase/status/653110393481486336

Don't get why its weird but

Possiblity its connected with the rumor, and he could have posted this anyday after the k rool suit got released.

Why now?
Probably nothing. Its just funny.

Furret24

Smash Master
Since I found this discussion interesting to read (but completely irrelevant to the thread it was previously in), I thought I'd bring it here. Just don't get super aggressive about it.

If you had to choose one or the other, who do you think is more likely and/or deserving to get into Smash Toad (Captain Toad) or Daisy? I'd rather not see either, but I think Toad would be more deserving.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I wish that Zip Lash hadn't been... as it is. From what I've seen, it looks like a game completely centered around the plug as a whip, but is incredibly straightforward. If it took a Metroidvania style of gameplay, with more puzzles centering around the whip, and story-based progression instead of... whatever that spinner "mechanic" was... It could've been a fun game. He could have found upgrades or household items as new types of weapons, and side quests to get Happy Points in order to increase battery charge or health. But instead, it seems far too linear and kind of stale.

Either way, Chibi-Robo would be an interesting character in Smash, but Zip Lash kind of put it down to rest. A shame, really, considering he seems like he has a boatload of potential.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Since I found this discussion interesting to read (but completely irrelevant to the thread it was previously in), I thought I'd bring it here. Just don't get super aggressive about it.

If you had to choose one or the other, who do you think is more likely and/or deserving to get into Smash Toad (Captain Toad) or Daisy? I'd rather not see either, but I think Toad would be more deserving.
Waluigi

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm..... Do you guys think that the rumor that Rogers mentioned may pertain to Ridley in any form? I do remember reading about all the hints for the character he was talking about, and Ridley fits all that criteria (and before you say he can't be in due to Sakurai's view on him, he has taken back on his word many times, so you can never really tell. Also, they can use his fan favorite Super Metroid design since the Ridley in Smash right now is a clone).

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
There is nothing to this.
Because amiibo compatability is HORRENDOUSLY erroneous for the website.
1) Chibi Robo's was listed for Smash EARLIER THIS WEEK which was confirmed to be a full mistake.

2) Zero Suit Samus is compatable with Ducktales Remastered, according to the site.
I've been kind of disappointed in Nintendolife lately. They seem to just throw out whatever Smash rumours they want these days.

I wouldn't mind if there was actually some weight to the rumours.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Captain Toad, easy. He had his own game. The Daisy fanbase reminds me of the Ashley fanbase back in the day.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Not really. All he is saying is that he is excited for the next character. I could say the same thing with or without knowing who it is. The only thing he says that makes it seem like he knows is that he says he can't say any more. But I couldn't say anymore either if I didn't know who it was or when we would get him/her/it.
No. He said a reliable source of his told him who the next character would be in another Tweet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No. He said a reliable source of his told him who the next character would be in another Tweet.
This is his exact words: -breathes easy- Alright. Guys, all I can say is..just be excited..I'm really damn hyped about the next Smash character. Can't say anymore.

This tells us nothing unless you were referring to another post.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I really hope we get at least 1 really obscure out of left field pick of the 3 supposedly on the way. I'm just not as hype about the ones everyone sees as the most likely candidates, so I'd rather be blown away by at least one then not have someone I actually want in. I don't play Ryu, but I'm looking for something similar in that wow factor. That was definitely hype.

It kills me that we don't have the rights to a few... but that's a dead subject not worth worrying about. (rip Geno/Banjo) So my personal favorites aside... I just don't want it to be 3/3 what everyone is hyping as of late. I could be happy with King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, Isaac, inklings, Chibi robo and even Shantae... But I just don't want it to be a clean 3 sweep out of those. Or even 2+ Wolf even though I would be so pumped for Wolf's return.

Bring on the Wild Card Sakurai!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really hope we get at least 1 really obscure out of left field pick of the 3 supposedly on the way. I'm just not as hype about the ones everyone sees as the most likely candidates, so I'd rather be blown away by at least one then not have someone I actually want in. I don't play Ryu, but I'm looking for something similar in that wow factor. That was definitely hype.

It kills me that we don't have the rights to a few... but that's a dead subject not worth worrying about. (rip Geno/Banjo) So my personal favorites aside... I just don't want it to be 3/3 what everyone is hyping as of late. I could be happy with King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, Isaac, inklings, Chibi robo and even Shantae... But I just don't want it to be a clean 3 sweep out of those. Or even 2+ Wolf even though I would be so pumped for Wolf's return.

What if we get Black Mage?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Even though it's never going to be. In this dreamland "what if" question... I'd play the hell out of Black Mage. And yeah, that would fit the bill for crazy and out there that I want. But it's too far out there lol

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Making the popular characters DLC is perfect, fans get what they want and Sakurai gets a ****ton of money from it, using an obscure character is dumb as if the character's obscure, people wouldn't buy it. Before you go 'It's smash, of course they'll buy it' I still haven't bought some DLC stages, not to mention I'm certain not many people have bought every single DLC. If we get Adam Malkovich as DLC for the sake of a wild card, I'd sooner sell my Wii U than buy him

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Making the popular characters DLC is perfect, fans get what they want and Sakurai gets a ****ton of money from it, using an obscure character is dumb as if the character's obscure, people wouldn't buy it. Before you go 'It's smash, of course they'll buy it' I still haven't bought some DLC stages, not to mention I'm certain not many people have bought every single DLC. If we get Adam Malkovich as DLC for the sake of a wild card, I'd sooner sell my Wii U than buy him
Of course it would have to be within reason. Something like Ray MK III or Black Mage would count as a "good" wild card. Something people would like, but isn't exactly likely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Of course it would have to be within reason. Something like Ray MK III or Black Mage would count as a "good" wild card. Something people would like, but isn't exactly likely.
What makes a DLC character likely? Popularity, 'something people would like' is exactly this. Especially as there's the 'reason for inclusion' part so Sakurai knows why a character is justified or moveset potential

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
obscure I only mean as something we aren't thinking of as of late, like a hidden gem. I don't mean some side quest rando or anything. But for instance when Chorus men were mentioned in that leak, my mind went nuts with possibilities. I trust His judgement, I just want something fresh.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This is his exact words: -breathes easy- Alright. Guys, all I can say is..just be excited..I'm really damn hyped about the next Smash character. Can't say anymore.

This tells us nothing unless you were referring to another post.
I clearly said that he said that IN ANOTHER TWEET.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
obscure I only mean as something we aren't thinking of as of late, like a hidden gem. I don't mean some side quest rando or anything. But for instance when Chorus men were mentioned in that leak, my mind went nuts with possibilities. I trust His judgement, I just want something fresh.
In that case popularity is still a factor, something Chorus peeps lack due to literally being the best definition of bandwagon, he only got popular because he was in the Gematsu leak and then after they were confirmed to not be playable they faded

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Any type of 'Wild Card' character is already in the game by this point.

DLC is gonna be regulated to popular choices and fan favorites.

I could see maybe one happening but it has to be in the reason like say Wonder Red or Medusa who doesn't have the popularity of most requested characters but is someone that people can easily get behind.

But outside of that, it's mostly gonna be popular request and characters from currently popular games

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Wonder Red :c Whenever I see his name or picture I just think Viewtiful Joe and would rather him lol
Though I haven't played 101

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I clearly said that he said that IN ANOTHER TWEET.
Sorry. The way you worded the sentence made me think you were referring to a future post.

In that case popularity is still a factor, something Chorus peeps lack due to literally being the best definition of bandwagon, he only got popular because he was in the Gematsu leak and then after they were confirmed to not be playable they faded
Exept the Chorus Kids would be welcomed because for one thing it is the first Rhythm Heaven character, and for another, even though the Chorus Kids were only popular because of bandwagoning, it still means that people like the concept, but abandoned it because it no longer seemed likely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wonder Red :c Whenever I see his name or picture I just think Viewtiful Joe and would rather him lol
Although Joe would be neat, you are literally just looking at the character's design instead of abilities on that. There's a demo on the eshop. Granted, the demo's not a good example of the things to come, but it gives you an idea of how to play
Sorry. The way you worded the sentence made me think you were referring to a future post.

Exept the Chorus Kids would be welcomed because for one thing it is the first Rhythm Heaven character, and for another, even though the Chorus Kids were only popular because of bandwagoning, it still means that people like the concept, but abandoned it because it no longer seemed likely.
Nobody knew them until they got leaked, not to mention there are more iconic characters in RH. People likely didn't 'like the concept' but moreso went 'of course they'd get in, it's obvious!'. Besides, Chorus Kids are dumb and we don't know if they were considered, scrapped or planned

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Red and Joe are different types of characters despite the design

Red has the unite abilities that can give him a diverse style while Joe is more similar to Captain Falcon in the vein of super hero flashy moves.

Plus Viewtiful Joe is more like a Kamen Rider hero and Wonder Red is more Sentai/Power Rangers in design

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would be cheesed if their was an obscure character as DLC. Obscure Characters are for the vanilla roster. They should have absolutely no part of being paid DLC. Especially when you're trying to sell a character to a very broad audience.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I really dislike this notion that the Chorus Kids' fanbase is maintained because of bandwagoning.

Yes, the Kids became popular because they were in a well-known leak that was regarded as gospel by quite a few members of the Smash community. Yes, most of the "fans" who supported them just because they were "shoo-ins" departed when it became clear that the Gematsu doctrine had very big holes in it.

Even so, I know quite a few people who wanted a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash gravitated towards Gematsu because it:

A. Represented a chance for their favourite series to get the recognition they believed it deserved

and

B. Presented an idea that hadn't really been widely considered beforehand, but which fans realised was quite creative

I wasn't much of a Rhythm Heaven fan before Gematsu, but when I thought about how the Chorus Kids would work, I became quite interested in the idea. There's a difference between bandwagoning for the sake of being right when it happens and being converted to the idea because you'd never thought of it before it happened.

EDIT: To clarify, I didn't believe in Gematsu for a second. I had very stupid reasons for thinking that, but I never thought the Chorus Kids were going to happen because Sal Romano said so.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would be cheesed if their was an obscure character as DLC. Obscure Characters are for the vanilla roster. They should have absolutely no part of being paid DLC. Especially when you're trying to sell a character to a very broad audience.
Funny you say that as your the Roy guy. I feel like Roy's a good example of obscure DLC. People know him, was heavily requested for a while but faded out and the character himself didn't make any major appearances for a long time. However, people like him in Melee and that got him his popularity. Doesn't this fit the concept? Nope. Roy's popularity is because of his veteran status, had he not been a last minute character in Melee, then he'd be deader than Conker

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I don't know anything about wonder red other than the trailers for his game and I'm not interested in it, I was just stating my personal opinion that when I see red it reminds me of Joe. I'm aware they are completely different in play style and I'm aware I can play the demo and or buy the game. Yes I'm literally just looking at their picture... I was just explaining that it's a trigger, when I see Wonder red, I remember the fun I had with Viewtiful Joe, that is all...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'd probably boycott smash for life if Adam Malkovich becomes DLC...that ass-hat should not become a playable character when both Ridley and Dark Samus are still standing on the sidelines...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You guys have no idea how good it feels to be 'behind the scenes' like some of the people involved with the rumour. I know some things but not as much as them. #hype.

I'm not going to say anymore than I have...
You DO realize these posts get reported in this thread, right?
I was just explaining that it's a trigger, when I see Wonder red, I remember the fun I had with Viewtiful Joe, that is all...
TRIGGER?!

NONE OF THAT TUMBLR **** HERE
In all seriousness, although he's not in my want-list unlike Wonder Red, I'd buy Joe

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I really dislike this notion that the Chorus Kids' fanbase is maintained because of bandwagoning.

Yes, the Kids became popular because they were in a well-known leak that was regarded as gospel by quite a few members of the Smash community. Yes, most of the "fans" who supported them just because they were "shoo-ins" departed when it became clear that the Gematsu doctrine had very big holes in it.

Even so, I know quite a few people who wanted a Rhythm Heaven character in Smash gravitated towards Gematsu because it:

A. Represented a chance for their favourite series to get the recognition they believed it deserved

and

B. Presented an idea that hadn't really been widely considered beforehand, but which fans realised was quite creative

I wasn't much of a Rhythm Heaven fan before Gematsu, but when I thought about how the Chorus Kids would work, I became quite interested in the idea. There's a difference between bandwagoning for the sake of being right when it happens and being converted to the idea because you'd never thought of it before it happened.

EDIT: To clarify, I didn't believe in Gematsu for a second. I had very stupid reasons for thinking that, but I never thought the Chorus Kids were going to happen because Sal Romano said so.
I never heard of chrous kids in my life before that leak and I knew very little about Rhythm Heaven as well. After hearing about it though, I looked all of it up, and it was all amazing! I loved the idea of a Rhythm Heaven rep and one that fit it so well as the Chorus Kids. Even now, I still think they are the best choice for a Rhythm Heaven character.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I reckon Marshall is the ideal RH character, since he'd be a good "kitchen sink" character in the vein of G&W and Duck Hunt.

That said, the Chorus Kids are basically three Marshalls, so that's three times as good~ ;3

I don't know anything about wonder red other than the trailers for his game and I'm not interested in it, I was just stating my personal opinion that when I see red it reminds me of Joe. I'm aware they are completely different in play style and I'm aware I can play the demo and or buy the game. Yes I'm literally just looking at their picture... I was just explaining that it's a trigger, when I see Wonder red, I remember the fun I had with Viewtiful Joe, that is all...
I strongly recommend you try The Wonderful 101 if you get the chance, it's definitely one of the best games on the Wii U and is criminally under-appreciated.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

and

That's true and all. But, they kinda are an example of a bandwagon support. Their fans aren't all bandwagoners, but compare the support they had during last year at the height of Gemastu rumor running wild to the ESRB leak and Mewtwo being in the 50 facts Direct to Smash Ballot being announced.

The support has dropped significantly and while the Glee Club has their loyal fans the ones who were only with it because it HAS to be true went on to different places.

Funny you say that as your the Roy guy. I feel like Roy's a good example of obscure DLC. People know him, was heavily requested for a while but faded out and the character himself didn't make any major appearances for a long time. However, people like him in Melee and that got him his popularity. Doesn't this fit the concept? Nope. Roy's popularity is because of his veteran status, had he not been a last minute character in Melee, then he'd be deader than Conker
That's the thing, he isn't obscure BECAUSE of Melee. Lucas is same way

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's true and all. But, they kinda are an example of a bandwagon support. Their fans aren't all bandwagoners, but compare the support they had during last year at the height of Gemastu rumor running wild to the ESRB leak and Mewtwo being in the 50 facts Direct to Smash Ballot being announced.

The support has dropped significantly and while the Glee Club has their loyal fans the ones who were only with it because it HAS to be true went on to different places.
That's exactly what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom