• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just curious, why are two of the three front-runners the most unlikely in the case where he stated that the character was popular, expected, and justified?
Its all due to the ballot statement. Supposedly someone else said that was irrelevant, though, and the ballot remark was only because the character is "ready to go" (doesn't mean they'll release immediately) two weeks after the ballot ended, so they weren't a "ballot winner" because they were chosen before the ballot ended (even though this notion itself is a fallacy since a character can easily have been chosen from early ballot data).

As for the leak, or I should say, rumor, I believe it because multiple sources are saying similar things that indicates something big is coming soon. It doesn't tell us who it will be, just that's its a Nintendo newcomer. Of course I figured something was coming soon anyway, so that's not too much of a surprise.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I always figured the big news would be playable Octolings in Splatoon with an added bonus of getting their side of the story mode.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Our savior against these heinous leaks:

Msb_glis14.png

"Prove it!"

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Couldn't the big news be Pikmin 4's first "real" official announcement/trailer? We already know the game's close to being finished so it only makes sense that they'd announce and/or give it a trailer soon.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Zelda U title anyone?

That would be a 10 though now wouldn't it.

A man can dream.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Couldn't the big news be Pikmin 4's first "real" official announcement/trailer? We already know the game's close to being finished so it only makes sense that they'd announce and/or give it a trailer soon.
That would be hype.

I can only imagine how good it'll look... :awesome:

That reminds me: in the future, more Pikmin reps/clones could be interesting.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I think that the character is either Bandana Dee or Splatoon (could be anyone from that tbh, Inklings, Callie and Marrie, Agent 3) as all of them seem to fit the critera mentioned.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Don't mind me, just watching all the DLC character threads getting driven crazy and into disappointment

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's be honest, some of you are making predictions based on a still questionable leak.

I'd say you lot exercise discretion since this could easily turn out fake, and thus incite disappointment.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let's be honest, some of you are making predictions based on a still questionable leak.

I'd say you lot exercise discretion since this could easily turn out fake, and thus incite disappointment.
Funny how 'salt' is refered to in the context of both skepticism and disappointment.

So if we don't take things with a grain of salt, there will be more salt. :laugh:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The rumour is so vague that who should be expected almost entirely depends on the person.

Any character character from the top 10-15 could be revealed and he could claim that he was saying the truth.

:231:

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
User was warned for this post
The Snake DLC thread is so toxic it's kind of funny.

GaroMaster said:
That said, I don't think these indie companies know what they're asking for. Seriously. Their characters? In Smash? Please.
The way I see it, Rayman and Snake are the last essential third parties that should be added. Unlike these indie characters, both Rayman and Snake are famous.
sigh

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Considering what Sakurai has said about third parties he has a point. He claims they need history and although Quote would fit the bill, I doubt his demand has that much of an impact
I'm not trying to say "Stop making fun of indie characters" I'm just surprised that they would throw other characters under the bus just to feel better about their own chances.

It's become a battleifield(:awesome:) here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The rumour is so vague that who should be expected almost entirely depends on the person.

Any character character from the top 10-15 could be revealed and he could claim that he was saying the truth.

:231:
At the same time, many don't really expect a character reveal at all. Just getting one is basically proof enough. Even if you argue "yeah, any character means he could be right", ever think that the idea isn't about being right? Any other leakers would spill the beans and outright say who the character is, true or false. The grand majority of leaks, true and false, tend to do this.

This is only to get people hyped up a bit while keeping the news still a surprise. If legit, these people in question are trying to avoid saying too much because they don't want to spoil the surprise (and get in trouble for leaking information like this).

The only reason I really believe it is because of multiple people citing having heard the information. And said people haven't attacked each other over it and said one person is making crap up or whatnot. That hasn't happened. In fact several of them have been liking each other's posts over the subjects in question (Roger and Stealth have been liking each other's posts).

So, yes, I do believe it. Does it matter that the information is vague? That's not the point.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Paper Mario then.
Well, I like your thinking. ;)
Our savior against these heinous leaks:

"Prove it!"
Smashboards takes a ride on the Magic School Bus. Make it happen.
I should probably get ready for disappointment. Most of the front runners that make sense I don't want at all really.
I'm somewhat in agreement. I mean just look at my signature. K. Rool and Bandana Dee have a decent shot though. I'm definitely not on the Inklings hype train though. I forgot my ticket I suppose.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
To those that I offended with my post (seriously, I already apologized in the Snake thread!), I'm sorry.
Jesus Christ, Supersmashbrothers. Supersmashbrothers. What is your problem? I was just saying good luck to the Snake thread and giving them a boost in confidence. I should've just wrote something different. But since I wrote something stupid, that's all people focus on.
I'm not saying it should be excused, but my initial intention wasn't to hurt their fans. I was just giving them a boost in confidence. That's all it was, man! Nothing more than that!
Sigh. Sometimes, I wonder if I should just shut up and not say anything.

Morbi

Scavenger
I should probably get ready for disappointment. Most of the front runners that make sense I don't want at all really.
In anticipation for that (not wanting any of the front-runners or "surprises"), six months ago, I began trying to support every plausible character. I wanted to discern the "good" of each and every possibility so that when the time came, I would be excited for all of the DLC characters. So far, it has worked! The only character that I would still be disappointed to see is Isaac. However, in the event of his announcement, I just need to convince myself that it will be easy enough to pretend that Isaac is Anduin Wrynn. They do share a vague resemblance if you ask me.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm somewhat in agreement. I mean just look at my signature. K. Rool and Bandana Dee have a decent shot though. I'm definitely not on the Inklings hype train though. I forgot my ticket I suppose.
I'm okay seeing many popular characters in the game... But I have a similar feel... They aren't exactly characters that I support or at least want (The only Frontrunners that I really want are K. Rool and BD, pretty much everyone else... I don't really care).

But in this time... any character annoucement could be good... unless his name is Young Link

My most wanted characters are usually popular characters in his/her own fanbases anyway :p

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There are going to be differences in opinion. Nobody supports every character ever for Smash. Differences in opinion should be cherished in my honest opinion.

Because of the censorship of others ideas, I sometimes seriously consider if our society is heading into that of George Orwell's 1984. But let's not get TOO deep now.

Anyway, if I'm being honest, I'm buying Shovel Knight for Wii U. I got hyped by the speculation around him. Honestly, I've played a game in every series in Smash. I like to be somewhat familiar with everything.

As a fan of a character, I understand what it's like to want a character, and have plenty of people challenge the merit of the character I want. I would honestly say that I have interest in Shovel Knight in Smash, but on the grounds of his impact on gamign history, I would say he simply doesn't compare to other characters. Luckily, I also support 3rd Parties that outrank Shovel Knight and Shantae, those being Snake and Rayman.

Does that mean Shantae and Shovel Knight would be bad choices? No. They could prove to be really fun characters. It also just means that they need to make a substantial impact. I don't doubt that by the next Smash, they will have more of a legacy. For all we know (despite Quote and other older games) Shovel Knight could kickstart something crazy for indies. But there's no way to know that now.

Moral of the story, because I want to know more about the different characters in Smash, I'll probably get a game from any new series added via DLC. I got Golden Sun to gain knowledge on Isaac, I plan on getting SFV because of Ryu, I played Earthbound because of Ness and Lucas. Same with Fire Emblem, Metal Gear and Metroid.

Don't turn away something new...give it a chance.

EDIT: I would also like to take this post to challenge those out there who don't trust Metal Gear Solid to get their hands on a game and try it. I can almost tell 100% of the time if somebody has played the series. The minute somebody says it's "Too realistic" or "violent", I'm just like, "yeah...you haven't played it". It's such a good series! TRY IT.

>cloning
>super soldiers
>guy who can float in the air/ guy who shoots electricity through his hands/ "The Man on Fire", distracting soldiers by running around in a cardboard box, etc...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't intend to derail the topic, but did anyone else know that Sonic, Ryu, and Megaman have all crossed-over before?

I love this!

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
There are going to be differences in opinion. Nobody supports every character ever for Smash. Differences in opinion should be cherished in my honest opinion.

Because of the censorship of others ideas, I sometimes seriously consider if our society is heading into that of George Orwell's 1984. But let's not get TOO deep now.

Anyway, if I'm being honest, I'm buying Shovel Knight for Wii U. I got hyped by the speculation around him. Honestly, I've played a game in every series in Smash. I like to be somewhat familiar with everything.

As a fan of a character, I understand what it's like to want a character, and have plenty of people challenge the merit of the character I want. I would honestly say that I have interest in Shovel Knight in Smash, but on the grounds of his impact on gamign history, I would say he simply doesn't compare to other characters. Luckily, I also support 3rd Parties that outrank Shovel Knight and Shantae, those being Snake and Rayman.

Does that mean Shantae and Shovel Knight would be bad choices? No. They could prove to be really fun characters. It also just means that they need to make a substantial impact. I don't doubt that by the next Smash, they will have more of a legacy. For all we know (despite Quote and other older games) Shovel Knight could kickstart something crazy for indies. But there's no way to know that now.

Moral of the story, because I want to know more about the different characters in Smash, I'll probably get a game from any new series added via DLC. I got Golden Sun to gain knowledge on Isaac, I plan on getting SFV because of Ryu, I played Earthbound because of Ness and Lucas. Same with Fire Emblem, Metal Gear and Metroid.

...Fine.
I'll give them a chance.
The reason why I throw characters like SK and Shantae under the bus is because not only am I afraid that they will take a slot away, but I've also never tried their games.
Inadvertently, that could lead to me looking like an ignorant troll to indie fans.
I don't want to be or act like that. I just have trouble expressing my dislikes in the most polite way possible due to my enthusiasm for other third parties.
That, and I have no experience with their games.
That's the thing about me. I get worried about other characters taking away slots and because of this, I put them down to reassure myself that they won't get in.
Phew. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
That's the thing about me. I get worried about other characters taking away slots and because of this, I put them down to reassure myself that they won't get in.
I don't mean this in a directly negative way, but I think you're the first individual out of hundreds of thousands to actually be willing to admit this.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
...Fine.
I'll give them a chance.
The reason why I throw characters like SK and Shantae under the bus is because not only am I afraid that they will take a slot away, but I've also never tried their games.
Inadvertently, that could lead to me looking like an ignorant troll to indie fans.
I don't want to be or act like that. I just have trouble expressing my dislikes in the most polite way possible due to my enthusiasm for other third parties.
That, and I have no experience with their games.
That's the thing about me. I get worry about other characters taking away slots and because of this, I put them down to reassure myself that they won't get in.
Phew. I'm glad I got that off my chest.
Don't worry, I'm sure many people feel that way. I would recommend, if you're interested, that you maybe look up some stuff on their games. You never know! you might just find something awesome.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799

Man, just... this, so hard. One of the most sensible things I've ever read. I used to not kare about King K.Rool, personally, but seeing how passionate the people who want him are really made me appreciate him a lot more. I was also really cynical about Roy at first, but I've warmed up so much that I really enjoy playing as him. I'll admit, though, that there are some characters that I just can't seem to get on board with, i.e. Bandana Dee, but I still want to try to be happy for the people who do want him if he is confirmed.

Also, hope you enjoy Shovel Knight! If you like the best things about Zelda 2, Castlevania, and Mega Man, I think you'll have a great time. :p

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
I agree wholeheartedly with Jones. Honestly the only characters I *really* don't want in are the troll characters like Shrek and Goku. While I have my favorite picks, and have my preferences, I'm sure Sakurai will make the right decision and give us Smash characters we'll enjoy playing as. After all is said and done, we're still going to play and enjoy Smash.

Having said that, I appreciate GaroMaster's honesty. What he describes is something we've probably all done, if we're honest with ourselves. :)

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't intend to derail the topic, but did anyone else know that Sonic, Ryu, and Megaman have all crossed-over before?

I love this!
That crossover was just one big mountain of disappointment imo. Not to mention its another reason Archie is bleeding money leading them to cancel the Mega Man comic.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't mean this in a directly negative way, but I think you're the first individual out of hundreds of thousands to actually be willing to admit this.
Why.... thank you.
I'm glad I could share this with you all, really. I just didn't want to be misunderstood.
Have you guys felt the same as me in that you put down other characters to make yourself feel better?
I'm just curious.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
That crossover was just one big mountain of disappointment imo. Not to mention its another reason Archie is bleeding money leading them to cancel the Mega Man comic.
I haven't read them so I have no idea if they're good or not. But I do like this page.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, I feel like everybody could attest to doing it.

The thing with me, is that I'm currently student teaching 7th grade English. I've learned something about my students and have noticed how different people can be. That's why I'm trying to understand different things with this. You're missing out on new things if you don't at least entertain different ideas.

Trying to think of what I've played to feed my interests because of Smash...Golden Sun (Isaac), Kirby Return to Dreamland (Bandanna Dee), Metal Gear Solid (Snake), Mega Man, Tales of Symphonia (Lloyd Irving), Shovel Knight (preordered), Metroid Prime 1-3 (Samus), Street Fighter V (ordered because of Ryu), Rayman Legends (cuz Rayman leak), Chibi-Robo Zip Lash on pre-order, and more!. Smash is easily my favorite game ever, so I love to give myself some background info on certain characters. It's a lot of fun to do this too! You start coming up with Smash ideas so easily sometimes.

I would definitely argue that this is what hurts the speculation community a bit. Some people are afraid to play a new series, and because they don't understand it or the fans, they hate it. That's something that humans do...for some reasons. We need to take a step back once in awhile, and learn about it. I used to hate the idea of Bandanna Dee...not so much anymore. He isn't my top pick, but I wouldn't necessarily HATE the idea. There are just other characters I would prefer.

Last edited:

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Why.... thank you.
I'm glad I could share this with you all, really. I just didn't want to be misunderstood.
Have you guys felt the same as me in that you put down other characters to make yourself feel better?
I'm just curious.
When Shulk was first revealed, I was pretty damn grumpy about it and not a fun person to be around. My general view on it was, "They're literally just doing this to promote the new Xenoblade. A character who actually has history deserved this slot more." Of course, my girlfriend is a huuuuge fan of the series, so she shut my stupid opinion down pretty quickly. And besides, if I still had this view, it would be very hypocritical with how I support Shovel Knight.

Polan

Smash Lord
Feels good to have all the characters I wanted in the base roster (+ Ryu, Mewtwo and Lucas) Only gunning for Shovel Knight as none of the top ballot newcomers interest me (except Bandanna Dee but that's only cause I like the Kirby series)
EDIT: Can't forget Snake. I NEED THAT BROKEN UPTILT IN SMASH 4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom