• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
So in honor of the new DLC Character Discussion Thread, I'm going to do something I don't normally do.
I think I've finally narrowed down the characters that I feel have a solid chance at being DLC from this point onward.

The Mario Franchise: I'm a little iffy on this happening, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo shoehorned another Mario character onto the roster as DLC just because it's their flagship franchise. I feel that Paper Mario has the best chance, but we could always get surprised with a different Mario character.

The Legend of Zelda Franchise: It would either be Tetra or Toon Zelda. They're the most generally recognizable Zelda characters at this point with the Zelda game starring them on the Wii U. Not sure if this means anything, but it appears that WW content is going to be the biggest selling point for the new HW port coming soon.

The Donkey Kong Franchise: I would honestly be pretty surprised if Donkey Kong didn't get a DLC character. It's so highly requested. Of course it would either be King K. Rool or Dixie Kong. I'm not really sure which has the better chance (I don't think we'll get both), but I definitely think a new Donkey Kong character is on the table.

The Star Fox Franchise: If we're to get another veteran, it will more than likely be Wolf. It can go either way at this point. We might be done with veterans, or Sakurai might still have another up his sleeve.

New Franchises: This one was tricky for me since most, if not all, of the notable Nintendo franchises are already represented with playable characters. The main ones that I thought might get DLC characters are Splatoon and Rhythm Heaven. Splatoon because Nintendo is pushing the franchise, and Rhythm Heaven due to the unused content in the game (plus it seems quirky enough for Sakurai to do).

Now I could be totally wrong, and that's fine. These are just my personal predictions that I wanted to throw out there so I could compare how close or far I was when all of the remaining DLC characters get released. I'm definitely curious to see what Sakurai has left to reveal to us.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan Wonder Momo and no Bravoman love? Kinda wish Namco would use both characters again sometime
The good news is that Namco is going to give the rights of Wonder Momo and 12 other 80's IP's (including Pac-Man) to a few third party developers for new games. But the sad news is poor Bravo Man being left out of the bunch.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
I see everyone was doing this and I feel like contributing

:4mario:-Daisy
:4link:-Impa or Midna
:4yoshi:-Kamek
:4wario2:-Captain Syrup or Ashley
:4kirby:-Bandana Dee or Dark Matter
:4villager:-Tom Nook (God please)
:4dk:-King K.Rool
:4pit:-Medusa

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mario: Captain Toad/Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi
Wario: Kat & Ana, Captain Syrup
Yoshi: Kamek, Shy Guy
Donkey Kong: King K. Rool, Dixie Kong
Zelda: Ganon, Impa
Pokemon: Pichu, Sceptile
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Metroid: Ridley
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Star Fox: Wolf, Krystal
Fire Emblem: Hector, Lyn
Sega: Anyone fun from Shining Force or Phantasy Star Online
Konami: Snake, Simon Belmont
Bandai-Namco: Nightmare, Agumon, Lloyd Irving
Capcom: Has enough
Others: Isaac(Golden Sun), Brian(Quest 64)
Rareware: Fulgore, Banjo & Kazooie

All I can think of of characters I'd like to see in. Or at least franchises in some cases.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think if King K. Rool makes the cut, he will be heavier than Bowser.

How do you offset this? Maybe he is extraordinarily heavy, but has no tradition third Up B jump and has less KO than the other Super Heavies.
Nah, I think K Rool would probably be 2nd heaviest. I'm also unsure as to how fast he'd fall; certain things such as the way he ground pounds in DK64 makes me think they might make him almost floaty.

Either way, he'd have so much in his moveset advantageous over Bowser that I expect him to be both lighter and with less KO power. No need to take away his recovery especially if it is the Kopter which is likely easier to gimp than Bowser.

Regarding Franchise Newcomers:

Mario - Dry Bowser (as an alt)
DK - King K Rool, Dixie Kong
Zelda - Ganon
Other - Isaac, Simon Belmont

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I guess I'll contribute to this discussion of wanted newcomers for each franchise too!
:4mario:: Waluigi :4link:: Ghirahim/Impa:4dk:: King K. Rool :4fox:: Krystal :4kirby:: Bandanna Dee
:4samus:: Ridley, Sylux
New CAPCOM character: Phoenix Wright
Inklings (Splatoon)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Square Enix character: Black Mage/Cloud Strife

That's about as many as I can think of for now. -And a thousand posts and almost an entire year since I joined SmashBoards!

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Two questions for you lot:

First off; What do you expect we'll be getting next patch that includes DLC?
How many characters? What characters? What Mii costumes? What stages? That sorta stuff.

Secondly; What do you guys think of the prospect of costume DLC for regular characters?
Maybe how PM handles it. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of PM, but I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat:
I'd expect Wolf and Hyrule Castle to come along with tournament mode.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Two questions for you lot:

First off; What do you expect we'll be getting next patch that includes DLC?
How many characters? What characters? What Mii costumes? What stages? That sorta stuff.

Secondly; What do you guys think of the prospect of costume DLC for regular characters?
Maybe how PM handles it. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of PM, but I'd buy something like this in a heartbeat:
Modes?
Tournament

How many characters?
None

What characters?
N/A

What Mii Costumes?
Metroid Prime Federation Force Mii Gunner Costumes
More Bamco (Armor King or whateverelse)
Fire Emblem (Azura or Corrin)

Those are my guesses.

What Stages?
Based Peach's Castle
Hyrule Castle
Magicant Wii U Port

DLC Costumes?
They could print more money that way, however, I think the immediate and primary focus is going to be character development. I wouldn't be surprised to see these at the very end, if at all.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So I guess we can bring this up again....

DLC Stage picks, anyone?

Phendrana Drifts!
and/or
Sanctuary Fortress!
and/or
Skytown!
and/or
Anything from Metroid Prime that doesn't involve the Frigate Orpheon and Lava!

Clock Town with a 3 day cycle with different events happening in the background that resets!
and/or
Lorule Castle vertical scrolling

Sky Pillar with Mega Rayquaza possibly...but not as a stage boss...no thanks...(unless featured in an adventure mode or boss rush)

Rhythm Heaven Stage could be cool

Tetris Stage would be frikkin awesome! Most iconic video game not featured in Smash atm and a Stage is the best way to pay homage to such a notable franchise

Mario Strikers Stage

As for returning stages...

Brinstar Depths
Poke Floats
Fourside
Fountain of Dreams
Big Blue
Saffron City
The Pirate Ship

:pirateship:

Last edited:

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
I'm shocked at how many people still want Ridley. He's a boss, get over it.

Anyways, I'd love to have Quote from Cave Story, but his chances are really low. I also want Anna from Fire Emblem, but I don't like Fire Emblem having 6 reps. Inkling would be cool, but I don't know how he would work. Hawlucha would be awesome though.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm shocked at how many people still want Ridley. He's a boss, get over it.
Being a boss in game isn't going to stop people from wanting a character...you don't have to want him but don't tell others not to if they do...
#RIDLEY4SMASH!

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Nah, I think K Rool would probably be 2nd heaviest. I'm also unsure as to how fast he'd fall; certain things such as the way he ground pounds in DK64 makes me think they might make him almost floaty.

Either way, he'd have so much in his moveset advantageous over Bowser that I expect him to be both lighter and with less KO power. No need to take away his recovery especially if it is the Kopter which is likely easier to gimp than Bowser.
King K. Rool is bigger than DK and seems bigger than Bowser in Sluggers. If his model is bigger, I think they would make him heavier.

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
10 characters I want in DLC
We need more sidekicks.
The 2 sidekicks I want as DLC is Tails and Zero.
One character that they going think I am crazy on putting here is Jackie Chan.
More characters:
Chibi Robo
Strider
AVGN
Travis Touchdown
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Any left type pokemon because there is only water and fire. Not including lightning and aura.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
> Implying the characters people want are actually realistic or has a halfway decent chance of happening

More than half of my characters have no chance. I still want 'em regardless. I just don't expect anyone but Wolf at most at this point.

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
Being a boss in game isn't going to stop people from wanting a character...you don't have to want him but don't tell others not to if they do...
#RIDLEY4SMASH!
I'm not saying you can't want him in a Smash game, I'm saying he won't get in as DLC and wanting him isn't going to change anything.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm not saying you can't want him in a Smash game, I'm saying he won't get in as DLC and wanting him isn't going to change anything.
By saying 'get over it' implies that you are suggesting people to move on rather than continue their support...and giving up their support for the character will guarantee that it won't happen...do not speak in absolutes when it comes to DLC when Sakurai's intentions are to 'make the fans happy'...Tell me would Ridley DLC not make many fans happy? whether it'll actually happen or not isn't the point I'm making here...
I have to deal with this a lot...I bring up other characters like Midna and Dark Samus and people say, 'No they are Assists they won't happen'....so because they have predetermined roles, I'm not allowed to want them to be playable? This is the kind of message you are communicating, whether it is your intentions or not...

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Franchise and its characters:

:4mario: - Daisy, Paper Mario
:4link: - Groose, Tetra, or Impa
:4dk: - K. Rool, Dixie
:4fox: - Krystal
:4wario: - Mona
:4olimar: - Charlie, Brittany, President, Louie, and Olimar's children as alts, Plasma Wraith

New Franchises:
Inklings
Rhythm Heaven rep/group
Balloon Fighter
Savvy Stylist
Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
> Implying the characters people want are actually realistic or has a halfway decent chance of happening

More than half of my characters have no chance. I still want 'em regardless. I just don't expect anyone but Wolf at most at this point.
Well, Jackie Chan has his own games in NES and there is a rumor that the NES game Kung Fu could be Jackie Chan. From my understanding. Will he make it? I doubt it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yarne? That's an interesting choice, could you tell me what you like? Not judging you, just surprised
Ha, I wondered if someone would ask me about Yarne.

Okay so; Yarne is a completely optional character in Fire Emblem Awakening. Not a particularly popular one either amongst the fanbase being voted the second least popular Awakening male in Japan. Not a great start, sure.
He's a Taguel; a humanoid who can transform into a rabbit beast. Now if it were simply for a transforming character who could turn into a beast; Tiki would be the superior choice being a well established character that has made multiple appearances.

However; Yarne I feel truly captures the feel of Fire Emblem better than any other character in the series. Particularly due to his fearful personality.
It's here that Yarne embodies the average Fire Emblem player as he is desperately trying to fight whilst fearful he'll get a permenant game over(thus ending his species existence), a very real possibility for every single non-lord character in this series.

It's a bit off the wall, sure, but Yarne is probably the character I associated most with mine and my friend's mindsets whilst playing through Awakening. The fact he's a killer rabbit, and a ridiculously powerful coward are bonuses.

Hope that explains the unusual choice.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Heyo, Donkey Kong lets go LETS GO! HERE HE COMES BANANA SLAMMER, KONGO BONGO'S HERRROOO! HHHEEEYYYYO! LOOK OUT DOWN BELLOOWW! :dk:

Now that I have your attention, might as well throw my opinions out there for the world to see!

:4mario:: No one, its has enough already in my opinion

:4dk:: King K Rool

:4link:: Impa (HW)

:4zss:: Dark Samus, Ridley (Big if on the last one)

:4marth:: LYN!, Hector, Tiki, Anna, Corrin

:4fox:: Wolf

:4pikachu:: Hawlucha, Sceptile, Milotic

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Jackie Chan has his own games in NES and there is a rumor that the NES game Kung Fu could be Jackie Chan. From my understanding. Will he make it? I doubt it.
There's no logic in using clearly poor examples of non-video game characters. That's an extremely poor argument. Many of us are at least talking about video game characters we like to see, ones who have a ghost of a chance. Some clearly higher than others.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
:4mario: - Toad OR Waluigi
:4tlink: - Skull Kid
:4villager: - Isabelle
:4pikachu: - Sceptile
:4kirby: - Bandana Dee

NEWCOMERS:
Chibi-Robo
Rhythm Heaven Character
Banjo-Kazooie
Inkling (Just got Splatoon, now a supporter!)

But most importantly :popo:

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Remember, there are tons of Nintendo franchises that don't have characters yet. There's so much more that begs to be seen.

I love it when Smash gives the spotlight to lesser known franchises here and there.

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Franchises will be in order of what I would like to see a newcomer from most to least and the characters that would interest me will also be from most wanted to least:
:4dk: - King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong
:4samus: - Ridley, Dark Samus, Sylux
:4link: - Midna, Impa, Vaati, Tetra
:substitute: - Isaac
:4fox: - Wolf, Krystal
:4olimar: - As mentioned above, alt costumes of the other commanders and Plasm Wraith [On the topic of this, what might its moveset be, if anyone knows of the Plasm Wraith and its various forms].
:4kirby: - Bandanna Dee
:4villager: - Isabelle
:4marth: - Anna, Tiki
:4mario: - King Boo, Toad, Paper Mario
:4pikachu: - Meowth
:4pit: - Medusa

Other miscellaneous characters I would like to see: Inkling, Takamaru, and Excitebiker.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Remember, there are tons of Nintendo franchises that don't have characters yet. There's so much more that begs to be seen.

I love it when Smash gives the spotlight to lesser known franchises here and there.
Valid.

From non represented franchises I'd like to see at some point:

Chibi Robo
Isaac(Golden Sun)
Inklings(Splatoon)
Doshin the Giant
T-Rex w/ Fossil Fighter(Fossil Fighter)
Dillon(Rolling Western)
Saki(Sin and Punishment)
Andy OR Sami(Advance Wars)
Starfy
Bubbles(Clu Clu Land)
Prince Sable
Tamagon(Devil's World. Unlikely due to America censorship)

Anyone else have any lesser known franchise wants?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've noticed that if we were to get another FE character, Anna's the most popular choice. Yus. Money-Waifu being in smash will be considered fan service right?*cries that Anna has to wait a game*
As Anna's been in from the start of the franchise, and has now been playable TWICE, I think she's going to become a good candidate in the future. The fact that she could potentially wield just about any weapon (since there's so many Anna's) is another factor in her favor.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As Anna's been in from the start of the franchise, and has now been playable TWICE, I think she's going to become a good candidate in the future. The fact that she could potentially wield just about any weapon (since there's so many Anna's) is another factor in her favor.
Fun fact: Anna can wield almost every type of weapon, axes being the only exception. This means she's got more than enough moveset potential.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I wondered if someone would ask me about Yarne.

Okay so; Yarne is a completely optional character in Fire Emblem Awakening. Not a particularly popular one either amongst the fanbase being voted the second least popular Awakening male in Japan. Not a great start, sure.
He's a Taguel; a humanoid who can transform into a rabbit beast. Now if it were simply for a transforming character who could turn into a beast; Tiki would be the superior choice being a well established character that has made multiple appearances.

However; Yarne I feel truly captures the feel of Fire Emblem better than any other character in the series. Particularly due to his fearful personality.
It's here that Yarne embodies the average Fire Emblem player as he is desperately trying to fight whilst fearful he'll get a permenant game over(thus ending his species existence), a very real possibility for every single non-lord character in this series.

It's a bit off the wall, sure, but Yarne is probably the character I associated most with mine and my friend's mindsets whilst playing through Awakening. The fact he's a killer rabbit, and a ridiculously powerful coward are bonuses.

Hope that explains the unusual choice.
I would prefer Panne myself. Does he really get powerful? I haven't done much with the kids outside of Owain. But he's the son of my juggernaut Donny. Who is your Yarne's dad? Mine's Frederick.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I would prefer Panne myself. Does he really get powerful? I haven't done much with the kids outside of Owain. But he's the son of my juggernaut Donny. Who is your Yarne's dad? Mine's Frederick.
Robin.
I decided to marry him to the strongest woman in the army at that time which happened to be Panne(who is also very cool and doesn't get enough love from Awakening fans. Probably due to fear of furry labeling. Or lack of Galeforce possibly).

Don't quote me on this because I didn't do much with most the kids, but I believe they're all meant to be stronger and get better perks than their parents. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
If I had to choose one newcomer from all the represented series, I'd choose these:

Mario: Captain Toad
Legend of Zelda: Darunia
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Yoshi: Stork
Warioware: Cricket
Metroid: Blast Ball character w/ Mech
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokemon: Delphox
Fire Emblem: Azura
F-Zero: Kate Alen
Mother: Poo
Kid Icarus: Pyrrhon
Ice Climbers: Ice Climbers
Pikmin: Bulborb
Punch-Out: Great Tiger
Animal Crossing: KK Slider
Xenoblade: Elma
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man as an alt?

I intentionally excluded some series because I think they don't need any more reps, but if I forgot a big series, feel free to let me know. For now, here's some characters I want from unrepresented franchises thus far.

Inkling (Splatoon)
Spyke (Splatoon)
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Vince (Art Academy)
Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)
Takamaru (Muramase Castle)
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western)
Excitebike Racer (Excitebike)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley and Ice Climber supporters should duke it out to see who has the more uphill battle for Smash 4 DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom