• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I personally think all the Zelda newcomer possibilities are incredibly boring or undeserving, but that's probably because I'm not a Zelda fan.
As a huge Zelda fan... the problem is that there are no viable Zelda candidates except Impa (who has nothing going for her except appearances) because there's only a select few recurring Zelda characters. It'd be better if they had more recurring character's, because there's a lot of potential in some of the one-off characters from past titles.

I'm not a dedicated fan of Kirby, no.
But I'm a fan of any character I find at least remotely interesting. My support for Excitebike and Inkling come ENTIRELY from how interesting I think they'd be.
Of all the popular newcomer requests, Bandana Dee interests me the least. I don't hate him, I just don't get the hype for him.
Bandana Dee overall seems to be the most "uninteresting" highly voted character to people who aren't fans of the series. In general, it just seems to me that he attracts the LEAST amount of people who aren't already massive Kirby fans, especially since the only real argument for what makes him interesting is "he uses a spear." I have to admit his popularity is surprising and he's a potential candidate, but at the same time, he does seem to get more flack from non-supporters.

Because you are not a fan of the Kirby series, probably.
This isn't a clear-cut statement. There's tons of characters who attract the attention of people who aren't fans of the series. Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac are some pretty big ones who have attracted a huge audience outside of fans of their respective franchises. (I was very interested in Isaac long before I became a fan of Golden Sun.)

There's some highly requrested characters who simply don't stand out as much to other people. Bandana Dee seems to be one of, if not the biggest.

There's always people who outright hate a suggestion, or simply don't get the appeal. I see it all the time for K. Rool. At the same time, I see tons of people who know nothing about the character really enjoy the possibilities for him. Bandana Dee, by comparison, seems to have a much larger set of onlookers who just don't get it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I assume that "them" means third-parties. Yeah, I'd exclude most of them as well, as they have to be iconic, and only third-parties that are both popular and iconic and who have a realistic chance to get in are Snake, Bomberman (however Konami's situation hinders both) and maybe Rayman (not as iconic as others, but already has content in Smash).

Yes, Paper Mario seems to be consistently high on the polls, though not as high as K. Rool and Isaac. I actually think he is one of the most likely newcomers alongside K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee and maybe Inkling, the latter could be too recent for Smash 4 but is almost shoe-in for Smash 5. Characters like Dixie and Krystal, while being popular, are hindered by more popular characters from same series (K. Rool and Wolf), and the same could be applied to Captain Toad, who seems to be less popular than Paper Mario.
you assumed correctly :)

but i just don;t think they are that likely at all because the limited slots remaining just doesn't help, I do think only 3 remains btw.

and I usually don;t mention shoo-in because it;s just not really the case. Even kkr is very far from confirmed and I do consider it would mean that it is sort of close to that.

The problem however is that you rerally should consider depending on the character. for example, captina toad has one con that is shared with paper mario: Sakurai might felt it would overkill the mario franchise (he does mention on his GDC slides that franchise representations are considered and even wario was something he was worried to overkill the mario franchise).

The point is this: it doesn;t mean they are both unlikely, but they both affects them. The problem here is that is is actually a case when popularity DOES matter because even if Sakurai is worried, it;s not going to change that if people want the character, it could be overturned to have him in. So when you say captian toad is less popular, this is actually a bad thing, he has to deal with the same con in a more harder way than paper mario does.

So, it;s not just popularity, but also other things. Like for example, I do think you could have a playstyle with captain toad, but I still worry about the potential to do it, it just feels (subjective) harder to make it work without being overkill.

And actually, same for bandanna dee, I actually just checked his OP of the support thread as I was concerned with his potential and playstyle, and I am actually more concerned about it because of the chrom situation.

Doesn't mean they won't happen, just is something that should be considered with popularity.

you assumed correctly :)

but i just don;t think they are that likely at all because the limited slots remaining just doesn't help, I do think only 3 remains btw.

and I usually don;t mention shoo-in because it;s just not really the case. Even kkr is very far from confirmed and I do consider it would mean that it is sort of close to that.

The problem however is that you rerally should consider depending on the character. for example, captina toad has one con that is shared with paper mario: Sakurai might felt it would overkill the mario franchise (he does mention on his GDC slides that franchise representations are considered and even wario was something he was worried to overkill the mario franchise).

The point is this: it doesn;t mean they are both unlikely, but they both affects them. The problem here is that is is actually a case when popularity DOES matter because even if Sakurai is worried, it;s not going to change that if people want the character, it could be overturned to have him in. So when you say captian toad is less popular, this is actually a bad thing, he has to deal with the same con in a more harder way than paper mario does.

So, it;s not just popularity, but also other things. Like for example, I do think you could have a playstyle with captain toad, but I still worry about the potential to do it, it just feels (subjective) harder to make it work without being overkill.

And actually, same for bandanna dee, I actually just checked his OP of the support thread as I was concerned with his potential and playstyle, and I am actually more concerned about it because of the chrom situation.

Doesn't mean they won't happen, just is something that should be considered with popularity.
Yeah, I don't see more than one, if any, third-party becoming DLC. Also I meant that Captain Toad is in the same situation as Dixie and Krystal, as all of them have to compete with more popular character from same series. And yes, Mario already having 7 reps hinders Paper Mario, but if Mario gets a DLC character, Paper Mario is the most likely one. Also, could you tell me why are you concerned about Dee because of Chrom's situation?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
As a huge Zelda fan... the problem is that there are no viable Zelda candidates except Impa (who has nothing going for her except appearances) because there's only a select few recurring Zelda characters. It'd be better if they had more recurring character's, because there's a lot of potential in some of the one-off characters from past titles.

Bandana Dee overall seems to be the most "uninteresting" highly voted character to people who aren't fans of the series. In general, it just seems to me that he attracts the LEAST amount of people who aren't already massive Kirby fans, especially since the only real argument for what makes him interesting is "he uses a spear." I have to admit his popularity is surprising and he's a potential candidate, but at the same time, he does seem to get more flack from non-supporters.

This isn't a clear-cut statement. There's tons of characters who attract the attention of people who aren't fans of the series. Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac are some pretty big ones who have attracted a huge audience outside of fans of their respective franchises. (I was very interested in Isaac long before I became a fan of Golden Sun.)

There's some highly requrested characters who simply don't stand out as much to other people. Bandana Dee seems to be one of, if not the biggest.

There's always people who outright hate a suggestion, or simply don't get the appeal. I see it all the time for K. Rool. At the same time, I see tons of people who know nothing about the character really enjoy the possibilities for him. Bandana Dee, by comparison, seems to have a much larger set of onlookers who just don't get it.
I'm pretty sure the most "uninteresting" and hated highly voted characters is Dixie.
Everytime someone mentions Dixie, the comments are: K.Rool is much better, Diddy clone, boring.
Dixie doesn't really have much, not even the DK fans.
She is just the "support in case of no K.Rool DLC" character.
Maybe Krystal too, now she is the same, just replace K.Rool for Wolf and add furry hate or whatever that is.

But yeah, Bandana Dee has a lot of people who don't understand why he is popular.
The most common arguments used for the detractors are "Kirby doesn't deserve another character" or "Sakurai bias, I don't want another Kirby character", because people ignore how big Kirby is, they think it's just another KI or something.
And the most used one, and the one Kenith used, "He is just a Waddle Dee with a spear", "generic enemy", etc.
That's because like I said before, he is not a Kirby fan, he doesn't understand that Waddle Dees are really important to the Kirby franchise and that Bandana Dee has a personality and he is not just a generic enemy with a hat.

The Kirby franchise is popular, but not as popular as DK, for example.
Bandana Dee's popularity is also pretty new (2012-2013), and his competition's is not (K.Rool, Isaac, etc.)
That's probably why he is not that interesting for the people who aren't Kirby fans.

I'm also surprised about his popularity, it's pretty cool, I remember that when I joined Smashboards, his thread was extremely small, it had like 60 posts and 50% of them were "unnecessary" or "why?".
It's a good thing HAL is using Bandana Dee in the new games (even more than Dedede and Meta Knight), that really helped.

That was hard to write in english XD

I'm not a dedicated fan of Kirby, no.
But I'm a fan of any character I find at least remotely interesting. My support for Excitebike and Inkling come ENTIRELY from how interesting I think they'd be.
Of all the popular newcomer requests, Bandana Dee interests me the least. I don't hate him, I just don't get the hype for him.
People want him for a lot of different reasons:
-He was really fun in Return to Dream Land
-With his recent appearances and roles in the Kirby games, he now "deserves" to be in
-We still don't have a spear user in the game, it would add a totally different style of combat
-Kirby is a pretty big franchise and has a lot of fans
-Waddle Dees are really cute
-Etc

Just opinions, everybody has different opinions.
Mains Lucina, wants Excitebiker, hehehe.
JK

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, I don't see more than one, if any, third-party becoming DLC. Also I meant that Captain Toad is in the same situation as Dixie and Krystal, as all of them have to compete with more popular character from same series. And yes, Mario already having 7 reps hinders Paper Mario, but if Mario gets a DLC character, Paper Mario is the most likely one. Also, could you tell me why are you concerned about Dee because of Chrom's situation?
well it might be the OP of the thread not being up to date, but I checked it since I wanted to know what people had in mind for movesets.

and I pretty much realsied they all had a playstyle suited on the spear at around 90% of the time while tbh, I didn't find it attracting.

Like, it is a thing to use a spear, but the way it;s used is more important. Sure, he may be a really important character, but to me, the playstyle doesn't go far enough. I do compare this situation to chrom because he was important, but because of playstyles issues, robin got in instead. Actually, if you're stretching it, you could compare it to marth's tipper, but that;s subjective.

This is just why I am concerned about him for that more than his importance.....

Like, i did saw a lot of paper mario movesets for instances and I can tell you, some REALLY could be better because I didn't felt a playstyle going on while others had one and was very clear to grasp.

For me, if you can at least explain a playstyle and how it could be acheived and it does sounds like it could bring something, then I think it;s fine. If I do feel I saw this somewhere.....than i start to worry. It is true it is the last thing I consider when checking chances, but it is still important nonetheless.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why do people keep taking jabs at the characters I like? I didn't say I hated Bandana Dee or anything, just that I didn't see the appeal.
And for the record, Dixie Kong is extremely popular and has potential. I'm not a fan of Donkey Kong Country at ALL and have just as little experience with the series as Kirby, and I know that.

well it might be the OP of the thread not being up to date, but I checked it since I wanted to know what people had in mind for movesets.

and I pretty much realsied they all had a playstyle suited on the spear at around 90% of the time while tbh, I didn't find it attracting.

Like, it is a thing to use a spear, but the way it;s used is more important. Sure, he may be a really important character, but to me, the playstyle doesn't go far enough. I do compare this situation to chrom because he was important, but because of playstyles issues, robin got in instead. Actually, if you're stretching it, you could compare it to marth's tipper, but that;s subjective.

This is just why I am concerned about him for that more than his importance.....

Like, i did saw a lot of paper mario movesets for instances and I can tell you, some REALLY could be better because I didn't felt a playstyle going on while others had one and was very clear to grasp.

For me, if you can at least explain a playstyle and how it could be acheived and it does sounds like it could bring something, then I think it;s fine. If I do feel I saw this somewhere.....than i start to worry. It is true it is the last thing I consider when checking chances, but it is still important nonetheless.
@ Chandeelure Chandeelure , you are the OP of Bandana Dee thread, do you have any comment on this?

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Defend. Dixie. . .

We have enough arguments here as is. . .
That's not necessary, I didn't say I hate Dixie, I just said what I see when some people talk about her.
I support her.

@ Chandeelure Chandeelure , you are the OP of Bandana Dee thread, do you have any comment on this?
More walls of text? aaaah.
OK, Bandana Dee and Chrom are not really comparable.
Chrom was removed because he was too similar to Ike and because Robin is a character from the same franchise, but with more potential.
Bandana Dee would not be similar to another character, no character has a spear at the moment, and he doesn't really have competition from the Kirby series.
He could use the spear in different ways, poke, spin it like a staff, vole pault, use it as a naginata, etc.
Having a sweetspot at the tip of the weapon doesn't make the character uninteresting just because another character has that, that's ridiculous.
Most of the movesets in the OP of the thread are 90% spear because that's Bandana Dee's main weapon, some of them use the abilities of other Waddle Dees, like parasols, bombs, Waddle Dee Tank, etc.
I don't think all the characters need to have an unnecessary gimmick.
We are not Sakurai, we can't just add a totally random thing to the moveset of the character, like Pac-Man's fire hydrant, for example. People will say it's a random idea.

Again, the interesting/uninteresting thing is just an opinion, the same OP is the reason we have more than 800 supporters.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, Bandana Dee would be similar to another character.
His spear is a bladed weapon that's swung, occasionally thrusted, and has a powerful tip. In other words, Bandana Dee uses a blade that is more powerful at the tip.
There is another character who fills this archetype already. :4marth:

Starting the argument is more worse than getting involved in it in the first place. I mean, You can just ignore them.
I agree with you that starting the argument is worse than getting involved and that ignoring them is the best option, but only if the arguments against the character are clearly flawed/stupid.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
His spear is a bladed weapon that's swung, occasionally thrusted, and has a powerful tip. In other words, Bandana Dee uses a blade that is more powerful at the tip.
Lets not forget the other Fire Emblem character who swings around a spear and is rather popular with the fire emblem fanbase....*cough*Ephriham*cough*

And, in all honesty, If they wanted to Keep Lucina around and De-clone her then she could fill in the Spear/Lance user role on the roster without having to add in another fire emblem character.

Thought what do I know, I'm just a guy who likes sharp, pointy things :3

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
That's not necessary, I didn't say I hate Dixie, I just said what I see when some people talk about her.
I support her.

More walls of text? aaaah.
OK, Bandana Dee and Chrom are not really comparable.
Chrom was removed because he was too similar to Ike and because Robin is a character from the same franchise, but with more potential.
Bandana Dee would not be similar to another character, no character has a spear at the moment, and he doesn't really have competition from the Kirby series.
He could use the spear in different ways, poke, spin it like a staff, vole pault, use it as a naginata, etc.
Having a sweetspot at the tip of the weapon doesn't make the character uninteresting just because another character has that, that's ridiculous.
Most of the movesets in the OP of the thread are 90% spear because that's Bandana Dee's main weapon, some of them use the abilities of other Waddle Dees, like parasols, bombs, Waddle Dee Tank, etc.
I don't think all the characters need to have an unnecessary gimmick.
We are not Sakurai, we can't just add a totally random thing to the moveset of the character, like Pac-Man's fire hydrant, for example. People will say it's a random idea.

Again, the interesting/uninteresting thing is just an opinion, the same OP is the reason we have more than 800 supporters.
I already implied it;s purely subjective because of the amount of time I say "I feel like" or even explicitly said it;s subjective.

and it;s not really a matter of that actually, it's more a matter of what it brings that FEELS (again, subjective) refreshing.

For me, the description I got to me, just doesn't do it. Like, he could do stuff, but what actually matters more is the meaning of all the moves into a playstyle.

Basically, he has a spear, ok that actually is the bare minimum I would expect to have potential, but making this potential go in one direction is completely different.

Like, it';s not just "it;s spear based", there;s just more to it. You also have to consider how he would FEEL like. I actually think Sakurai emphasized a lot on this and pretty much said that even if the interpretations can varies, there;s some consistencies to them.

So my main concern is not how varied it is, but it;s more if it FEELS something that is clearly defined.

And btw, the pacman thing is ONE move, the moveset I usually don;t like is those that are mostly that without any reasoning so when I'm done reading, I;m like....."what exactly is the point of playing that moveset?".

TL;DR: I might not worry if you could add more depth to it than just the spear....it;s more related to how it feels rather than the moves which I don;t really have a problem.....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm pretty sure the most "uninteresting" and hated highly voted characters is Dixie.
Everytime someone mentions Dixie, the comments are: K.Rool is much better, Diddy clone, boring.
Dixie doesn't really have much, not even the DK fans.
She is just the "support in case of no K.Rool DLC" character.
Maybe Krystal too, now she is the same, just replace K.Rool for Wolf and add furry hate or whatever that is.
I don't really see this about Dixie at all. Dixie has massive support from people who think she'd be more viable than K. Rool, and tons of K. Rool fans who are openly supportive of Dixie, just that they feel K. Rool is more interesting and should get in first, but after he's in they'd immediately jump over to Dixie. She's not -as- interesting as K. Rool to most people, not that she isn't interesting (largely revolved around her hair).

Krystal is... eh. She's still got decent support, but its not nearly so big right now. She's got a significant hate base not through Smash requests, but from people who think she ruined Star Fox.

I already implied it;s purely subjective because of the amount of time I say "I feel like" or even explicitly said it;s subjective.

and it;s not really a matter of that actually, it's more a matter of what it brings that FEELS (again, subjective) refreshing.

For me, the description I got to me, just doesn't do it. Like, he could do stuff, but what actually matters more is the meaning of all the moves into a playstyle.

Basically, he has a spear, ok that actually is the bare minimum I would expect to have potential, but making this potential go in one direction is completely different.

Like, it';s not just "it;s spear based", there;s just more to it. You also have to consider how he would FEEL like. I actually think Sakurai emphasized a lot on this and pretty much said that even if the interpretations can varies, there;s some consistencies to them.

So my main concern is not how varied it is, but it;s more if it FEELS something that is clearly defined.

And btw, the pacman thing is ONE move, the moveset I usually don;t like is those that are mostly that without any reasoning so when I'm done reading, I;m like....."what exactly is the point of playing that moveset?".

TL;DR: I might not worry if you could add more depth to it than just the spear....it;s more related to how it feels rather than the moves which I don;t really have a problem.....
I have to agree with this remark. The spear is the bare minimum, I just don't see what else comes of it.

Right now, for example, the general consensus for K. Rool is "trap-based heavyweight." He's a very tricky character, and does not play fair in his boss battles. He's all about trying to trick his opponents and have them falling into his traps. He's got a large variety of gadgets he can use from DKC1-3, but even the blunderbuss alone could handle most of his moveset, such as planting kannonballs he can knock opponents into, move kannonballs around by sucking them in one direction to get them into place, and using gases to temporarily freeze or confuse opponents.

There's plenty of potential that can be developed from these concepts, depending on where Sakurai could take it, but the general consensus is: heavy trap and projectile character.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Lets not forget the other Fire Emblem character who swings around a spear and is rather popular with the fire emblem fanbase....*cough*Ephriham*cough*

And, in all honesty, If they wanted to Keep Lucina around and De-clone her then she could fill in the Spear/Lance user role on the roster without having to add in another fire emblem character.

Thought what do I know, I'm just a guy who likes sharp, pointy things :3
I hope this is a joke.

Oh, I didn't know Marth could fly spinning his sword, or use it as a staff.
Also, I'm pretty sure Bandana Dee would have a different speed, air speed, size and weight.

:4samus: OMG! A floaty, tall character with a powerful projectile.
Sorry :4mewtwo:

A ninja that uses acrobatic abilities for lot of combos and has fast projectile
:4sheik::4greninja:

No, wait a moment, ARM CANNONMMZ!!!!WS1
:4megaman::4samus::4miigun:

Please, ask that in the BD thread, I don't really understand.
Are you talking about the personality of the character?
Like how Rosalina's moveset is "calm"? If we ignore that she screams woooh! every two seconds.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
You just called a spear a sword

Well unlike swords spears don't do as much damage at the base (which I'm surprised you didn't think about) comparing Bandana Dee to Marth because he uses a sharp bladed object is completely illogical..The only reason you even thought about comparing Bandana Dee to Marth is because the mention of a possible tip mechanic. The way Marth uses his sword and the way Bandana Dee would use his spear would be different hence them being completely different weapons

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Speaking of Lucina...
I think she should get a Great Lord outfit. Originally I didn't care, but I'd really like to see it.
I saw a thread somewhere that said that Lucina should have a final smash were she turns into a great lord, dual wielding a lance and her sword.

And side noting this, why is there no Masked Lucina Costume? There should be one!

I hope this is a joke.
Knock Knock

"Whos there?"

Opinions!

"Opinions Who?"

Thats the joke !

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I have to agree with this remark. The spear is the bare minimum, I just don't see what else comes of it.

Right now, for example, the general consensus for K. Rool is "trap-based heavyweight." He's a very tricky character, and does not play fair in his boss battles. He's all about trying to trick his opponents and have them falling into his traps. He's got a large variety of gadgets he can use from DKC1-3, but even the blunderbuss alone could handle most of his moveset, such as planting kannonballs he can knock opponents into, move kannonballs around by sucking them in one direction to get them into place, and using gases to temporarily freeze or confuse opponents.

There's plenty of potential that can be developed from these concepts, depending on where Sakurai could take it, but the general consensus is: heavy trap and projectile character.
So you are talking about the type of character, I think Bandana Dee would be a "long ranged glass canon".
He is a Waddle Dee, that makes him very fragile, but the spear is also very powerful and versatile.
He is the character with more range in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and the one that scares the Grab Hands in Rainbow Curse with his spear.
Is that OK? xd
I saw a thread somewhere that said that Lucina should have a final smash were she turns into a great lord, dual wielding a lance and her sword.

And side noting this, why is there no Masked Lucina Costume? There should be one!

Knock Knock

"Whos there?"

Opinions!

"Opinions Who?"

Thats the joke !
I don't get it :awesome:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
How is Roy strictly a Melee rep? Oh wait, lemme guess. FE fans don't like him and only Smash Bros fans want him despite his game selling more than both of Ike's games combined in Japan.

Just lay off the Haterade why don't you.
Huh? I said
Roy is strictly a Melee rep(Nah, but he is optional DLC that no one is forced to buy)
and I say that when people say Fire Emblem fans are entitled enough as it is, thinking that newcomers from the series should be de-confirmed. Roy is my tertiary fighter and I played as him more than Marth in Melee. He has my favorite moveset out of all the sword users in this game, with Meta Knight in second place. I do not hate him.

You shouldn't lose your cool like that. What if somebody really intended to offend you for real?
Why is Bandanna Dee likely again? People keep saying that but I haven't seen anything to back that up.
Well... Miiverse. There was a time when he had campaign posts going for him there. He's a favorite, being a newer playable hero from a big series. He's alright since the games were fun to play, especially when playing multiplayer. Oddly enough, Kirby is the only major Nintendo series that people seem to want only one newcomer from (*insert "No way! I don't believe it!" :wolf:* here). I don't see support for characters like Galacta Knight or Knuckle Joe. Bandanna Dee probably should have been part of the vanilla roster in my opinion. I just don't really see myself paying $3.99 + sales tax for him alone. Don't have that much money anyways, so I have to prioritize when it comes to purchasing DLC. I'm such a stingy person.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I hope this is a joke.
Oh, I didn't know Marth could fly spinning his sword, or use it as a staff.
Also, I'm pretty sure Bandana Dee would have a different speed, air speed, size and weight.

:4samus: OMG! A floaty, tall character with a powerful projectile.
Sorry :4mewtwo:

A ninja that uses acrobatic abilities for lot of combos and has fast projectile
:4sheik::4greninja:

No, wait a moment, ARM CANNONMMZ!!!!WS1
:4megaman::4samus::4miigun:
All of those characters have many other things that set them apart.
Samus and Mega Man have arm cannons, but Mega Man has a dozen other weapons in his arsenal as well as being a completely different style of fighter from Samus.

Mewtwo and Samus aren't similar at all, so I don't know what that's about.

Sheik and Greninja share a lot of traits, but Greninja fights using water (water swords, shurikens, etc) while Sheik uses practical ninja moves.

Meanwhile, Bandanna Dee has one defining trait, a spear, a weapon that is stronger at the tip, and Marth already fully encapsulates this mechanic.

And please calm down. For your own sake.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Samus and Mega Man have arm cannons, but Mega Man has a dozen other weapons in his arsenal as well as being a completely different style of fighter from Samus.

Sheik and Greninja share a lot of traits, but Greninja fights using water (water swords, shurikens, etc) while Sheik uses practical ninja moves.

Meanwhile, Bandanna Dee has one defining trait, a spear, a weapon that is stronger at the tip, and Marth already fully encapsulates this mechanic.

Why can't two fighters have a similar gimmick?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So you are talking about the type of character, I think Bandana Dee would be a "long ranged glass canon".
He is a Waddle Dee, that makes him very fragile, but the spear is also very powerful and versatile.
He is the character with more range in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and the one that scares the Grab Hands in Rainbow Curse with his spear.
Is that OK? xd

I don't get it :awesome:
Would Bandana Dee not be a close range fighter primarily though? Unless his main way of attacking is chucking his spear I'm not sure how we can class him as a long range character like we do the projectile characters.

Could be worse, the hate for that character could be a godforskaen meme
Captain Toad Can't Jump.
You're not the only group with a hatebase meme. You're just the bigge-err...most well known group with one.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Huh? I said and I say that when people say Fire Emblem fans are entitled enough as it is, thinking that newcomers from the series should be de-confirmed. Roy is my tertiary fighter and I played as him more than Marth in Melee. He has my favorite moveset out of all the sword users in this game, with Meta Knight in second place. I do not hate him.

You shouldn't lose your cool like that. What if somebody really intended to offend you for real?
Well... Miiverse. There was a time when he had campaign posts going for him there. He's a favorite, being a newer playable hero from a big series. He's alright since the games were fun to play, especially when playing multiplayer. Oddly enough, Kirby is the only major Nintendo series that people seem to want only one newcomer from (*insert "No way! I don't believe it!" :wolf:* here). I don't see support for characters like Galacta Knight or Knuckle Joe. Bandanna Dee probably should have been part of the vanilla roster in my opinion. I just don't really see myself paying $3.99 + sales tax for him alone. Don't have that much money anyways, so I have to prioritize when it comes to purchasing DLC. I'm such a stingy person.
I'm pretty sure Miiverse is not the reason xd

And Bandana Dee also has things that set him apart.
First, he could use abilities of other Waddle Dees.
Second, he can use his weapon as a projectile.
Third, a spear is not a sword.

The tipper mechanic is one of the most weird and bad arguments I've seen.
This game included a lot of zoners :4villager::4pacman::4duckhunt:
They basically spam projectiles the entire match, are their movesets rebundant? no.

And I'm calm.
Would Bandana Dee not be a close range fighter primarily though? Unless his main way of attacking is chucking his spear I'm not sure how we can class him as a long range character like we do the projectile characters.
I don't know, the spear is very long, like Shulk's monado.
Also, Bandana Dee has a very spammy projectile, at least in Return to Dream Land.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
You know, while I'd love to explain why bandana Dee is unique to me personally, I have to go in a few minutes and don't have any time right now, so I'll just link to this lovely editorial about Bandana Dee.
https://bandanaballot.wordpress.com...na-waddle-dee-has-amazing-gameplay-potential/
and if you don't have the time to read it, please at least try to read this. Thanks.
"Historically, some spears–specifically those made for hunting–are specially designed to keep its victim stuck after the initial penetration, effectively “wedging” prey to make it harder to escape in the scenario that they’re still alive. If we were to treat Bandana Dee’s spear with similar qualities, this “wedging” ability would prove to be a very beneficial quality. Say we were to stab Sonic through the chest. If the hitbox of the spear’s shaft were to be the final piece of damage Sonic receives, this would do well in pulling him towards Bandana Dee at the end of the attack. However, if he were to only strike Sonic with the tip of the spear–as in, the primary spike at the end of the stick–this could inversely do more damage and perform increased knockback away from Bandana Waddle Dee. In having both of these qualities, Bandana Waddle Dee can initiate the start of a combo, being able to space the opponent at his discretion if proficient enough at striking with just the right part of the spear for the situation. Unlike Marth, who merely does increased damage and knockback at his sword’s tip, Bandana Waddle Dee would be a character that focuses on controlling his opponent’s spacing, not merely capitalizing on his own.

But what if we took this a step further? Bandana Waddle Dee’s primary attributes, as described in the previous section, would make him much more grounded than the other Kirby characters. So between being able to control the opponent’s spacing and not faring well in aerial combat, why not focus on pulling characters out of their aerial element instead? Bandana Waddle Dee’s spear could not only bring opponents towards him, but also downwards, which would make him effective at crippling aerial characters due to being able to keep them out of the air. From there, Bandana Dee could best his opponents not from being an amazing ground-fighter in of himself, but rather, by forcing them into the unfavorable position of fighting where their quickest and most powerful moves are much more difficult to utilize. Strategy that takes advantage of this spacing control. In other words, something of an inverted Jigglypuff that forces opponents onto the ground rather than juggling them into the air. Bandana Waddle Dee, the first aerial-character slayer. It has a nice ring to it."

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi

Correction he has one defining weapon, a spear. Having a similar mechanic doesn't make him pointless, I love how you completely ignored the first part of his paragraph "Oh, I didn't know Marth could fly spinning his sword, or use it as a staff.
Also, I'm pretty sure Bandana Dee would have a different speed, air speed, size and weight."

While I agree that the Arm cannon argument was weak

At the core

Whats Greninja's trait?

He is a ninja..

What's Shiek's?

She is a ninja..

Well I guess we need to remove Greninja because he is copying the Shiek style

Their is nothing else that is Greninja's defining trait

The water attacks can be easily re-skinned to swords

Shuriken could be a normal shuriken

Water effects would make you think he is unique..

When you forget their is an article to do the work for you.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

What no, that Final Smash sounds like a lot of work, here's what they SHOULD have done;

You have Lucina raise her sword to the sky They take this fancy image from the Awakening Future of Despair DLC and flash it on Screen for a sec

and give Lucina a POWER-UP final Smash and you call it "Awakened Falchion" or the "Exalted Falchion" first one is a better reference to the game but the second one is what the actual Upgraded Falchion is called

In short, Just give her Wario's Final Smash

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
The water attacks can be easily re-skinned to swords

Shuriken could be a normal shuriken

Water effects would make you think he is unique..
Now all I want to see is a giant. Metal Shuriken growing out of an android Greninja's arm cannon...yyyaaa...thats the life...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why can't two fighters have a similar gimmick?
This is true, I've thought of this as well. Its not necessarily a requirement, but largely has been the case for the most part with Smash 4. I mean, Greninja and Palutena don't really have this, but pretty much every other character has something.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
What no, that Final Smash sounds like a lot of work, here's what they SHOULD have done;

You have Lucina raise her sword to the sky They take this fancy image from the Awakening Future of Despair DLC and flash it on Screen for a sec

and give Lucina a POWER-UP final Smash and you call it "Awakened Falchion" or the "Exalted Falchion" first one is a better reference to the game but the second one is what the actual Upgraded Falchion is called

I bet alot of people would love to see Lucina's Panties on her head :troll:

But, really, that does sound like a cool final smash to give her. I would still like to see some sort of visual upgrade for her besides the glowing sword thing. Maybe they could give her a sort of "Super Sayaman" glow OR maybe make her marked eye glow brighter than the other one.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

That and her base play form should be her appearance as a Great Lord where she has a shield which can be utilised like:4link::4tlink:. Then change Shield Breaker or Dancing Blade to her version of Aether.
It doesn't change much but it keeps her relatively similar to how she currently is.
Just my preference for minimal changes beyond even damage across the blade.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
But, really, that does sound like a cool final smash to give her. I would still like to see some sort of visual upgrade for her besides the glowing sword thing. Maybe they could give her a sort of "Super Sayaman" glow OR maybe make her marked eye glow brighter than the other one.
Glowy eye PLUS, throw in some glowy butterflies surrounding her, those are her Motif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom