• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, I had a head full of steam when I made that previous post. Sorry, I just deal with this j*zz so frequently that I lose tolerance for this.

Also, getting Roy to 20 isn't hard at all. I did it in my first playthrough of the game and it was a very easy, casual thing to do. He's good VS a number of units and the ones were he struggles against can be taken out by other units. Lord characters don't have to be OHKO'ing machines. The game gives you additional units for a reason. So yeah, I would say that while he might not be as strong as some of the other lords in the series, he's most definitely not a "terrible lord" because it's not true at all. Espically in my playthrough he wasn't.
I meant that once Roy's 20 you have nothing to do for his promotion, not that getting to 20 is difficult, Arena Abuse is fun. RNG giveth, RNG taketh. Seriously, in FE8 Joshua leveled up without getting any boosts twice in a row, then he never got more than 12 strength. Blah blah blah, Roy's one of the worst lords and western fans made him a Tier-Induced Scrappy, the end.

Speaking of FE, I'm surprised the Black Knight wasn't an AT, especially with the costume

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, not going to bother with this because it's the same old routine that's probably not going to stop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I outta get my mind off this stuff. Here's my updated DLC roster that I made post 7/31 update.

- Wolf I believe is very likely and will probably be the last vet to return to the game.
- K. Rool is also likely contrary to what some might think. The Mii costume business doesn't mean jack really.
- Isaac and BD are likely to also win the ballot.
- The question mark at the end depends on whether or not were getting 5 additional characters in the game. If yes, then it can potentially be either Rayman, Paper Mario, Bomberman, or someone else that's really requested.
- I do believe were going to get a couple of Melee stages as well as maybe another Brawl one. I also think we could potentially get another 64 stage.
- The 2 question marks at the bottom are Suzaku Castle and a Golden Sun stage respectively.

Also, just saw this.

Saying Roy is a Melee rep is stupid as he's inferior there too.
Keep sippin that Haterade.

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Does anyone think that Wolf is coming later because of his own codecs from Lylat Cruise? Maybe getting a new voice actor and maybe some animation tweeks?

D

Deleted member

Roy is Fire Emblem's Jigglypuff, no matter how much you bash it, it will comeback once again to haunt your dreams.
Anyway:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why is Bandanna Dee likely again? People keep saying that but I haven't seen anything to back that up.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Why is Bandanna Dee likely again? People keep saying that but I haven't seen anything to back that up.
Being playable in Rainbow Curse over a second Kirby, over Meta Knight and over King DeDeDe.
That, and being playable alongside those in Return to Dreamland make him a plausible candidate.

Just fyi, those are the last two main 2D platformer Kirby games released since Crystal Shards.

He's also a side character in Triple Deluxe, whereas Meta Knight is absent.

Tl;dr, he's the fourth Kirby hero, his only competition are the villains.

He seems to be one of the most supported non-veteran Nintendo characters. Only K. Rool, Isaac, and occasionally Paper Mario and Inkling rank higher than him in polls (I know that they could be unreliable, but there isn't really any other way to gauge character's popularity).

EDIT: Also, he ranked #9 on a Reddit poll (from June), and if we discount indies (Shantae, Shovel Knight), Banjo and Ice Climbers, he was #5, behind Isaac, K. Rool, Snake and Wolf.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pk3WiRq88jPitrDGMJJKAT-1pHJdjTy3fG99FC7rBNA/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Because he appears in all the new Kirby games, he is relevant (unlike some requested characters).
He is popular in both America and Japan (unlike a lot of characters).
He would add something new (spear user).
A lot of his competition are third parties/indies and characters with popularity just in America.
Kirby is a pretty big franchise and it's extremely popular in Japan.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Because he appears in all the new Kirby games, he is relevant (unlike some requested characters).
He is popular in both America and Japan (unlike a lot of characters).
He would add something new (spear user).
A lot of his competition are third parties/indies and characters with popularity just in America.
Kirby is a pretty big franchise and it's extremely popular in Japan.
You forgot Europe.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He seems to be one of the most supported non-veteran Nintendo characters. Only K. Rool, Isaac, occasionally Paper Mario and maybe Dixie and Inkling (not sure about those two) rank higher than him in polls (I know that they could be unreliable, but there isn't really any other way to gauge character's popularity).
Inkling is definitely higher than Bandana Dee, and Dixie would be were it not for K. Rool. He is surprisingly high, though.

Inkling is definitely higher than Bandana Dee, and Dixie would be were it not for K. Rool. He is surprisingly high, though.
In some polls, yes, but not in all of them (unlike K. Rool and Isaac, who are always higher than Dee). And yes, K. Rool probably somewhat hinders Dixie's popularity.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
He seems to be one of the most supported non-veteran Nintendo characters. Only K. Rool, Isaac, occasionally Paper Mario and maybe Dixie and Inkling (not sure about those two) rank higher than him in polls (I know that they could be unreliable, but there isn't really any other way to gauge character's popularity).

EDIT: Also, he ranked #9 on a Reddit poll (from June), and if we discount indies (Shantae, Shovel Knight), Banjo and Ice Climbers, he was #5, behind Isaac, K. Rool, Snake and Wolf.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pk3WiRq88jPitrDGMJJKAT-1pHJdjTy3fG99FC7rBNA/edit?pli=1#gid=0
tbh, you could call them reliable on paper mario because pretty much on every poll I saw it was the case.

But I do question the one you JUST posted, there;s another reddit one that shows results that were much different with I think a month or 2 between them.

I would use this for more reliability:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

it;s a lot of poll merged including the JP one from SG.

tbh, you could call them reliable on paper mario because pretty much on every poll I saw it was the case.

But I do question the one you JUST posted, there;s another reddit one that shows results that were much different with I think a month or 2 between them.

I would use this for more reliability:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

it;s a lot of poll merged including the JP one from SG.
Yes, Dee isn't so high in that poll, but he is still #9 among newcomers, #7 if we discount Ridley and Waluigi.

EDIT: And if we discount deconfirmed ones (Ridley, Waluigi), almost impossible ones (Banjo, Ice Climbers) and non-iconic third-parties (Bayonetta, Shovel Knight), he would #10 in the poll with all characters.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
All those polls are garbage.
They change every month and you can vote more than one time.
They also totally Japan, who is probably much more important for the popularity of the characters.
.....I just said it has the one from SG about JP....

And I do know that the reddit one had a clean of bot and actually, if it wasn;t for the clean, paper mario would have been top 3 raw which is completely unrealistic :)

(no, I didn't botted the poll :) )

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
They also totally Japan, who is probably much more important for the popularity of the characters.
And you can put whoever you want in the poll as well.
lol at Roman Bellic.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
.....I just said it has the one from SG about JP....

And I do know that the reddit one had a clean of bot and actually, if it wasn;t for the clean, paper mario would have been top 3 raw which is completely unrealistic :)

(no, I didn't botted the poll :) )
I edited my post when I realized about the japanese part (1/3, not much).
Still, those polls are not reliable at all.
They have bots, lack votes and have a stupid joke characters.

I edited my post when I realized about the japanese part (1/3, not much).
Still, those polls are not reliable at all.
They have bots, lack votes and have a stupid joke characters.
This. I don't understand why so many polls have to include characters like Goku, Shrek and Reckless Safety Man.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Only thing that is consistent in the polls is that K. Rool and Isaac are always high. Even the popularity of Wolf and Snake usually varies (they're almost always in Top 10 though).
Yeah, that's true.

Another thing I would like to say, is that the ballot is a suggestion box, not all the popular characters are going to be in the game just because they are popular, Sakurai will probably look at moveset potential, if the character is relevant and if it's DLC material (casuals need to know about the character, not just the hardcore fans).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This. I don't understand why so many polls have to include characters like Goku, Shrek and Reckless Safety Man.
that;s because I never take them raw.

never, it;s just not how I think these should be taken. Because I feel msot third party and others like ridley, it;s just not going to matter even if on top much.

Thus I jsut remove them and do relative comparison with the rest, if I notice a certain consistency, than I can draw some reliability here.....

And as for the 1/3, I could take all of them separately and it would still feel similar.....

Yeah, that's true.

Another thing I would like to say, is that the ballot is a suggestion box, not all the popular characters are going to be in the game just because they are popular, Sakurai will probably look at moveset potential, if the character is relevant and if it's DLC material (casuals need to know about the character, not just the hardcore fans).
Agree again, though relevancy won't probably matter as much as when deciding base game's roster (especially when characters like K. Rool and Isaac are likely very high).

Also, many polls seem to have many third-parties on Top 10 (usually Snake, Rayman, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Bayonetta and Banjo), but I don't see us getting more than one third-party, considering that we already got Ryu.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Also, limited options. The Ballot isn't a straightforward poll. What if your favourite fighter isn't a choice?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Agree again, though relevancy won't probably matter as much as when deciding base game's roster (especially when characters like K. Rool and Isaac are likely very high).

Also, many polls seem to have many third-parties on Top 10 (usually Snake, Rayman, Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Bayonetta and Banjo), but I don't see us getting more than one third-party, considering that we already got Ryu.
again, i just remove them because raw data is pretty much not telling everything.

It has to do with in the character's case, if popularity can substantially help, then I keep it, but if not, then I just remove it because it;s pretty mcuh not that relevant to count anyway.

Like when I say the popularity of characters, I give raw and cleaned position because I trust more the later than the former. for example, this includes the JP polls, but to me, I saw paper mario top 10 raw, some time VERY CLOSE to top 10, and almost always top 5 after clean up, sometime top 3, but mostly top 5.

I jsut do relative comparison with this.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Bandana Dee is very popular and is becoming a staple Kirby character. You could also easily justify his addition from the success of the Kirby series (it honestly surprises me)
That being said...perhaps my imagination is weak but I struggle to see the Bandana Dee's appeal. At all. It just seems like a Waddle Dee with a spear...

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee is very popular and is becoming a staple Kirby character. You could also easily justify his addition from the success of the Kirby series (it honestly surprises me)
That being said...perhaps my imagination is weak but I struggle to see the Bandana Dee's appeal. At all. It just seems like a Waddle Dee with a spear...
Because you are not a fan of the Kirby series, probably.
I personally think all the Zelda newcomer possibilities are incredibly boring or undeserving, but that's probably because I'm not a Zelda fan.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You want a dude with a motorcycle. Then again, so do I

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not a dedicated fan of Kirby, no.
But I'm a fan of any character I find at least remotely interesting. My support for Excitebike and Inkling come ENTIRELY from how interesting I think they'd be.
Of all the popular newcomer requests, Bandana Dee interests me the least. I don't hate him, I just don't get the hype for him.

again, i just remove them because raw data is pretty much not telling everything.

It has to do with in the character's case, if popularity can substantially help, then I keep it, but if not, then I just remove it because it;s pretty mcuh not that relevant to count anyway.

Like when I say the popularity of characters, I give raw and cleaned position because I trust more the later than the former. for example, this includes the JP polls, but to me, I saw paper mario top 10 raw, some time VERY CLOSE to top 10, and almost always top 5 after clean up, sometime top 3, but mostly top 5.

I jsut do relative comparison with this.
I assume that "them" means third-parties. Yeah, I'd exclude most of them as well, as they have to be iconic, and only third-parties that are both popular and iconic and who have a realistic chance to get in are Snake, Bomberman (however Konami's situation hinders both) and maybe Rayman (not as iconic as others, but already has content in Smash).

Yes, Paper Mario seems to be consistently high on the polls, though not as high as K. Rool and Isaac. I actually think he is one of the most likely newcomers alongside K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee and maybe Inkling, the latter could be too recent for Smash 4 but is almost shoe-in for Smash 5. Characters like Dixie and Krystal, while being popular, are hindered by more popular characters from same series (K. Rool and Wolf), and the same could be applied to Captain Toad, who seems to be less popular than Paper Mario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom