• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...where's Shovel Knight in all of this?

If you're trying to spark some (more) discussion about Shovel Knight, okay cool, that's fine. The thread exists for that reason. Just explain why he's likely? Instead of referring to an article that more or less talks about him as an aside?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Let me explain. It's a bit different from what you thunk, what happened was that I asked for the characters he thinks may be likely and he gave me a list of 12 possible outcomes, I then preceded to edit the list and the result is what you see. Also, remember, it's more suggestion than popularity. And there's a reason I didn't include K. Rool.
Ah, so there is your own personal bias in there. People were right to question then.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Let me explain. It's a bit different from what you thunk, what happened was that I asked for the characters he thinks may be likely and he gave me a list of 12 possible outcomes, I then preceded to edit the list and the result is what you see. Also, remember, it's more suggestion than popularity. And there's a reason I didn't include K. Rool.
Could you at least give us the complete list?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ah, so there is your own personal bias in there. People were right to question then.
It wasn't personal bias, that was taken out of context.
...where's Shovel Knight in all of this?

If you're trying to spark some (more) discussion about Shovel Knight, okay cool, that's fine. The thread exists for that reason. Just explain why he's likely? Instead of referring to an article that more or less talks about him as an aside?

Smooth Criminal
Because @Tama is fairly confident about the rumor.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
This was discussed earlier. Konami's not out of the console market yet, at least not entirely.

And DLC for Snake or any other Konami rep could still happen. All Sakurai and co. needs is the company's blessing (not active involvement), little bit of legal red tape snipped here and there, and bam! Easy money/marketing in the form of one of the largest gaming franchises.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know, just gonna throw my two cents on the whole "Smash has gone advertisement fest."

In Smash 64, we got :pikachu64: and :jigglypuff64:. These were the only character to not exist during the SNES era, and only about two and a half years before the game was released. It was the massive popularity and success of the IP that warranted inclusions.

In Melee, we got a LOT of expanding to the series at hand (namely Mario and Zelda). The four "unrelated" characters to be introduced were our two retros :gawmelee::icsmelee:, and Fire Emblem. :marthmelee: who was the most recognizable character of the series after his starring in two games and high popularity and... :roymelee:, someone who was put in the game as advertisement for FE6 pretty blatantly.

In Brawl, we got some more series expansion with :warioc::diddy::dedede::metaknight::zerosuitsamus::wolf::pt::lucario::ike::lucas:, technically two retros at the time in :pit::rob:, one IP being added :olimar:, and our introduction into third parties :snake::sonic:. Largely similar to how Melee worked.

With Smash 4, namely Mario got its expansion as a previous series. But otherwise, we've looked at the popular, recent titles that have struck big for series. :4palutena: and :4robinm: from some of the biggest games on the 3DS period. Other than that, we've gotten our token retro :4duckhunt: and mostly new IPs (excluding the two newcomer clones) in :4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4littlemac: and to a lesser extent :4mii::4miif:alongside three BIG name third party additions. :4pacman::4ryu::4megaman:

Now, let's look at the big characters remaining of our current IPs missing. We have... who? K. Rool, Dixie, and Ridley are the "big three" for old characters, but you see people pushing for fairly recent characters in even old series because the long staples have largely already been included. That's where you see things like Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, Impa, Krystal. For new IPs represented, you look towards... Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Custom Robo, and.... that's normally when it ends for Non-Retro Nintendo IPs for sizable demand. (Excluding Splatoon, which would be more akin to the Pokemon case, but with a shorter time gap).

You may see it as a shift towards advertisement, I say it's focus on the recent stars because the large population of "Classic All-Stars" have already been added.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Could you at least give us the complete list?
Okay, here's the list quote on quote unedited.

Pre-Ballot (Pick two):
Wolf
Shovel Knight
Inkling

Post-Ballot (Pick up to four):
Shovel Knight
K. Rool (If only because he's so popular) if not, Dixie
Paper Mario or Waddle Dee
Layton
If Layton, Arle or Cloud
Edit: Inkling

So I did a little research and what you saw was the final version of the list. The reason why the results were strange was because the ballot is more suggestion than popularity, but popularity still matters. So what you saw was what I found through research, not to mention all of those rumors that were popping up. So what I added was what seemed the most logical and most realistic. Trust me when I say that I used my best judgement when I did this.

Last edited:

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
10 days to the Nintendo reveal the results of it's official ballot.
Also, do you have links of the fan results.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Now this is my personal opinion, but to be honest it kind of saddens me when you look at who are front runners that need to be added. Sure Shovel Knight, Inkling, Captain Toad, and Krystal have their fans, but personally I would really enjoy to see some more classic characters. Donbe and Hikari, Lip, Mach Rider, Excitebike, Ayumi Tachibana, King K Rool, pretty much anyone who was pre-N64. Guys like the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake should be back too, but of course a few of those aren't very likely to happen.

As for third parties, I believe that Layton, Wright, Ray Man, and Crono are the most logical, Layton and Wright for pushing the mystery/visual novel genre to America + their connection with Nintendo, Ray cause he's him, and Crono since his RPG on SNES is literally timeless, and will forever be hailed as one of the greatest RPGs ever.

Most of you will probably disagree with me, and maybe there are a few characters I'm forgetting, if so I'm sorry.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Now this is my personal opinion, but to be honest it kind of saddens me when you look at who are front runners that need to be added. Sure Shovel Knight, Inkling, Bandanna Dee, Captain Toad, and Krystal have their fans, but personally I would really enjoy to see some more classic characters. Donbe and Hikari, Lip, Mach Rider, Excitebike, Ayumi Tachibana, King K Rool, pretty much anyone who was pre-N64. Guys like the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake should be back too, but of course a few of those aren't very likely to happen.

As for third parties, I believe that Layton, Wright, Ray Man, and Crono are the most logical, Layton and Wright for pushing the mystery/visual novel genre to America + their connection with Nintendo, Ray cause he's him, and Crono since his RPG on SNES is literally timeless, and will forever be hailed as one of the greatest RPGs ever.

Most of you will probably disagree with me, and maybe there are a few characters I'm forgetting, if so I'm sorry.
Bandana Dee debuted on the Super Nintendo.

SonicMario

Smash Master
10 days to the Nintendo reveal the results of it's official ballot.
Also, do you have links of the fan results.
Er, how do we know for sure they'll reveal it exactly? Not trying to be pessimistic but especially if multiple characters are chosen. They may very well save the announcements of who won the ballot until a future Nintendo Direct or even as far as E3 (if they save it for E3 as much torture that would be to us, it'd probably soften the blow because the characters will probably be almost finished by then. Sakurai has said it takes a while to develop even one character). Maybe they'll at least announce the most popular choice of those managable to include. But we can't say for certain we'll know what characters won on the day the ballot ends.

Nintendo will show the results of the fighter ballot on the next Nintendo direct, as far that i know, Nintendo will continue to produce nintendo directs.
We will absolutely not be getting results. We will never know how the votes wound up being. We will just get characters that wil be from the ballot.

Dont go around spreading information without a source either. They never even said there will even be an announcement on that day let alone ballot results. . .

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Oh really? I had never heard of him until these past two years. I guess he would fit the mold of what I am talking about then.
He started out as the base enemy in Megaton Punch, he got expanded out into the proper character in Super Star Ultra and has been a firm staple as the "4th Protagonist" and has appeared more than Meta Knight since.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Let me explain why I rejected certain characters.
I rejected K. Rool, Inkling, Paper Mario and Cloud for logical reasons, K. Rool was rejected because I honestly have a bad feeling about the costume, Inklings because their game is a bit new for Smash, Paper Mario because of how many Mario reps there are, and Cloud because he's not very relevant to Nintendo consoles, only appearing in cameos and spin-offs. That's all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This was discussed earlier. Konami's not out of the console market yet, at least not entirely.

And DLC for Snake or any other Konami rep could still happen. All Sakurai and co. needs is the company's blessing (not active involvement), little bit of legal red tape snipped here and there, and bam! Easy money/marketing in the form of one of the largest gaming franchises.

Smooth Criminal
They aren't completely out of the console market because of PES, which sells them ****load of money each year. I doubt they would go back to their old IPs with most of the team's disappearance behind the IPs.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's...not a direct de-confirmation.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

I've read accounts that Konami was also recruiting staff for a new Metal Gear game unrelated to The Phantom Pain and MGO. This of course was prior to the release of TPP, so take it as you will. Things may have changed.

The only question is, if that's true, what the infrastructure of these two franchises is gonna look like? Since it was confirmed less than a week ago that the guy who helped develop the FOX Engine used by both of these games left the company.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They aren't completely out of the console market because of PES, which sells them ****load of money each year. I doubt they would go back to their old IPs with most of the team's disappearance behind the IPs.
Doesn't EA's FIFA outsell PES though? It seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

:231:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Annnnnnnd it's not hurting them, either. Your point is moot.

PES is critically acclaimed, Fal, but yeah FIFA kinda wrecks it in the sales department.

Thinking about it, I guess Konami could reverse engineer the FOX Engine or otherwise utilize it. If they were as anal to Kojima and the rights to his IP, I guess that it could extend to the underlying engine that these games were coded on? It's hard to say.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's...not a direct de-confirmation.

BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

I've read accounts that Konami was also recruiting staff for a new Metal Gear game unrelated to The Phantom Pain and MGO. This of course was prior to the release of TPP, so take it as you will. Things may have changed.

The only question is, if that's true, what the infrastructure of these two franchises is gonna look like? Since it was confirmed less than a week ago that the guy who developed the FOX Engine used by both of these games left the company.

Smooth Criminal
Do you have a source for this?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I wish I had a source to give for the former. I know it was from somewhere small-time like Gamenesia or something like that, and it was several months ago. Like I said, just take it for what you will. A lot could have changed in the time elapsed, since it's been pretty well documented since then that Konami's not interested in furthering Metal Gear beyond MGO at the moment.

As for Merceron, well...look no further than this and your local Google searchbar.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm sure Konami, with their current policies, wouldn't object to representation in SSB4.

But will Sakurai, a friend of Kojima, want to?

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Paper Mario because of how many Mario reps there are,
Mario is Nintendo's largest franchise. It's absolutely fine it it gets more reps.

But Paper Mario is a variation of Mario.....and I'm not OK with that. I would much prefer characters that we have never seen before like Daisy and Captain Toad/Toadette.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Mario is Nintendo's largest franchise. It's absolutely fine it it gets more reps.

But Paper Mario is a variation of Mario.....and I'm not OK with that. I would much prefer characters that we have never seen before like Daisy and Captain Toad/Toadette.
If they add another Mario character I'm breaking my controllers. Rosalina in my opinion was a horrible addition, and as much as I like Paper Mario, another rep will make me go crazy when Advance Wars, Chibi Robo, Ice Climber, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and many other series deserve representation/more representation.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Rosalina was one of the few new characters I really got hyped for. Her, Pac-Man, and Ryu with DLC.

This said Mario could have 20 characters and I would still find it less annoying than Fire Emblem having 5.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Rosalina was one of the few new characters I really got hyped for. Her, Pac-Man, and Ryu with DLC.

This said Mario could have 20 characters and I would still find it less annoying than Fire Emblem having 5.
Rosalina, Pac Man, and Miis are my least favorite characters haha. When it looked like Chrom was in, I didn't want the game hahaha.

But yeah I guess we are total opposites, because there are a few more FE characters I'd totally be cool with having.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Trying to put all bias aside, any content the Mario franchise receives is definitely earned. While I agree that there's a limit, I believe that it definitely merits more content than what it has now.

We've never seen Paper Mario in Smash either, as a character at least. I see what you're saying, but Paper Mario has established his own identity in the upcoming Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam. I agree with your first statement though.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Let me explain why I rejected certain characters.
I rejected K. Rool, Inkling, Paper Mario and Cloud for logical reasons, K. Rool was rejected because I honestly have a bad feeling about the costume, Inklings because their game is a bit new for Smash, Paper Mario because of how many Mario reps there are, and Cloud because he's not very relevant to Nintendo consoles, only appearing in cameos and spin-offs. That's all.
No offense, but I recall you once said it was "logical" to put trust in a fake text leak because "he typed in bad English therefore he's probably telling the truth about everything."

Logic is only what any given person makes of it, after all.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
She's a Japanese rep. Also, she does have moveset potential.
Third-party characters, of all characters, should never be in for the sake of repping something arbitrary, but because of their own merits. This is also why I have a problem with the whole "Shovel Knight can be used to represent all indies" argument. Shovel Knight cannot be used to represent indies in general unless his moveset is done like Pac-Man and it seems like a cop-out excuse to rationalize the fact that outside the niche context of indies, Shovel Knight isn't anything special. He may be the most iconic indie, but that doesn't mean anything when ever single indie is obscure including him and it's not as if his franchise is at all significant to video game history either.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No offense, but I recall you once said it was "logical" to put trust in a fake text leak because "he typed in bad English therefore he's probably telling the truth about everything."

Logic is only what any given person makes of it, after all.
Yeah, please ignore that, I had made a mistake, it happened, it's over. Please come up with something else as an example, I'll gladly listen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom