• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseppo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yosemite_JIT
Just saying.
If we were to get any 4th Party character, I stand that it should be Mickey himself.
One of few characters on Mario-tier common knowledge and popularity, had a specific Game & Watch made FOR him, famous SNES titles, and.... it's Mickey Mouse.
I would use him if he was in his Kingdom Hearts form, with the hood and the keyblade.

H0mew0rk

Smash Rookie
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
Welcome to the DLC Character Discussion Thread.

Keeping in view the incidents that took place in the previous thread in the span of the last few days, some measures have to taken to ensure that the thread remains civil.
  • Posting anything which can derail the thread is not allowed, as usual.
  • Stay civil and respectful in your discussions. Flaming, trolling, etc. will not be tolerated.
  • Posting bait as well as falling for bait will both be infracted.
  • If you feel a user is not following the rules, do not reply to him/her. Simply report it to the mods using the 'Report' button below the post, and it will be dealt with as necessary.
  • This is not a social thread, so anything not pertaining to Smash DLC does not belong here. Please use the Smash 4 Social in the Wii U general discussion.
  • Please try to limit talk to Smash 4. We realize this ballot may effect future games, but this game has not even finished development. For now, Smash 5 discussion should be taken to the NintenZone board.
  • If you have questions regarding the Staff policy towards certain character threads being created please PM a Staff member first and foremost.
Please keep these rules in mind when posting in this thread. Have fun.

:231:
Can I bash Ryu? Cause hot damn that's shield break.

D

Deleted member

Ehh.....that's debatable
No it is not.

I don't care how much of a Transformers fan you are. Learn common sense.
Optimus Prime is in the same exact boat as Goku, Shrek, and SpongeBob.
The only difference is that he isn't memetic in relation to Smash.

"B-b-but MUH SPLATOON"
But nothing. It got a theme for a Splatfest exclusive to North America.
When Squid Girl got actual gear for the Inklings to use.

SQUID GIRL FOR SMASH?!?

Or how about the fact that Nintendo owns (or owned; not sure if those rights expired or not) the rights for Hamtaro when it comes to video games?
HAMTARO FOR SMASH?!?

Hell, even Popeye has more reason to be in Smash than any other character of non-gaming origin, yet no one seems to go POPEYE FOR SMASH?!?!

EDIT: I'm not saying you can't want Optimus Prime. Anybody can want whatever they want no matter how ridiculous.
But don't act like he has reasonable odds just because you're biased for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, Mickey is the only non-video game character that I'd be okay with. Aside from having numerous games on Nintendo platforms from that Game and Watch to more recent titles such as the Epic Mickey series, seeing someone as iconic as him battling against the likes of Mario and Pac-Man would be hype.
I would use him if he was in his Kingdom Hearts form, with the hood and the keyblade.
I'd prefer a moveset inspired by his classic cartoons.

If Mickey somehow made it into Smash, he should have moves from his classic cartoons, Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Clubhouse (okay, not sure about this one) and Epic Mickey, instead of having his moveset based on only one of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It'd probably lean more towards the classic cartoons and Epic Mickey in the hypothetical that Mickey somehow made it in.

With the obvious Final Smash:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
No it is not.

"B-b-but MUH SPLATOON"

SQUID GIRL FOR SMASH?!?

Or how about the fact that Nintendo owns (or owned; not sure if those rights expired or not) the rights for Hamtaro when it comes to video games?
HAMTARO FOR SMASH?!?

Hell, even Popeye has more reason to be in Smash than any other character of non-gaming origin, yet no one seems to go POPEYE FOR SMASH?!?!

EDIT: I'm not saying you can't want Optimus Prime. Anybody can want whatever they want no matter how ridiculous.
I think the voice of Mario himself already gave us the best option for a non video game character.
:troll:
It'd probably lean more towards the classic cartoons and Epic Mickey in the hypothetical that Mickey somehow made it in.

With the obvious Final Smash:
Just saw this, lol.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Besides the fact Shovel Knight himself is a great character, originated from one of the best games I ever played, posts like this are what makes me want him to be DLC in Smash. I just want to see the meltdowns from the "muh relevance" and "muh iconicness" folks.
Posts like this make me facepalm....

Do not ask for a character just to piss off the haters...I see this a lot for characters like Pichu and Tingle...it may be funny at first to see people ***** about it, but they'll get over it, and if you don't really care for the character yourself then you're stuck with it...

I don't really see Shovel Knight in this way as he could be interesting...but you're selling the character short if you just want them for troll purposes...

D

Deleted member

Do not ask for a character just to piss off the haters...I see this a lot for characters like Pichu and Tingle...it may be funny at first to see people ***** about it, but they'll get over it, and if you don't really care for the character yourself then you're stuck with it...

I don't really see Shovel Knight in this way as he could be interesting...but you're selling the character short if you just want them for troll purposes...
Green Greens gave other reasons for why they want Shovel Knight.
-He's a great character.
-Is from one of the best games they've played.

Causing meltdowns from detractors was only icing on the cake for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

SQUID GIRL FOR SMASH?!?
i cri evritiem.

That's actually the only reason I'm partial towards Inklings. I'm rather grateful to Nintendo and Splatoon for all the cross-promotion and making the hitherto obscure anime pretty well known.

There is a certain potential for amusement in beating your opponent as Waluigi or Tingle, to be fair.

:231:

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Green Greens gave other reasons for why they wants Shovel Knight.
-He's a great character.
-Is from one of the best games they've played.

Causing meltdowns from detractors was only icing on the cake for them.
Not to mention that Shovel Knight represents a niche of gaming that's on the up and up, whether you wanna believe it or not. I imagine he'd be like how Shulk is represented in Smash outside of his own franchise---a kinda figurehead for all of those other Project Rainfall games---only for the indie variety.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I just don't find Butt Butt to be all that interesting. Mii Costume is all I'll be fine with, anything else...no. Give me someone with significance to Nintendo, please.

Though to be fair, I'd take him over Geno. :p

(Also, thanks to @Wintropy , I can't stop calling him Butt Butt. :p)

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
StarTropics comes out on the Virtual Console this week. Anyone want to start hoping for Mike Jones? This week is probably the only time it will make sense.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Honestly, I just don't find Butt Butt to be all that interesting. Mii Costume is all I'll be fine with, anything else...no. Give me someone with significance to Nintendo, please.

Though to be fair, I'd take him over Geno. :p

(Also, thanks to @Wintropy , I can't stop calling him Butt Butt. :p)

If smash ballot had happened during brawl we'd have probably gotten geno :( (sad it didn't happen)

eh' i'm over it... still it makes me want more iconic characters than flavor of the months, i know people HATE hearing that term for characters they like but honestly I'd rather see someone who has proven they can last in popularity like K Rool and Isaac over others who haven't...I'll leave out any names as not to piss anyone off.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If smash ballot had happened during brawl we'd have probably gotten geno :( (sad it didn't happen)

eh' i'm over it... still it makes me want more iconic characters than flavor of the months, i know people HATE hearing that term for characters they like but honestly I'd rather see someone who has proven they can last in popularity like K Rool and Isaac over others who haven't...I'll leave out any names as not to piss anyone off.
There WAS a Ballot for Brawl. There was a ballot for /Melee/.
This is the first one that went international.

Bakkus

Smash Rookie
That 438 character list, is that the leaked results of the ballout? Or is it restimated results of the ballout based on....?

TheMagpie6006

Smash Rookie
NNID
magpie6006woof7
I hope snake comes to the dlc. i played him in brawl. but i don't think alot of people are voting. but i dunno

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Shovel Knight's...not a dumb choice, though.

Smooth Criminal
The game has not even been released in Japan, and a majority of Japanese fans as far as I've heard don't even know who he is. The fans of Shovel Knight are a subset of a subset akin to Quote's support a years back when Cave Story was released.

But we'll see what happens in the next week.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
There WAS a Ballot for Brawl. There was a ballot for /Melee/.
This is the first one that went international.
True, and I know thats where we got sonic from and even part of why geno seemed feasible.

I guess I meant an international ballot done after the games release that we will definitely be getting DLC characters out of, not a Japanese poll that sakurai will take into consideration with no guaranteed results.

as in when i said "smash ballot" for brawl i literally meant "smash ballot" exactly what we are dealing with here.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The game has not even been released in Japan, and a majority of Japanese fans as far as I've heard don't even know who he is. The fans of Shovel Knight are a subset of a subset akin to Quote's support a years back when Cave Story was released.

But we'll see what happens in the next week.
I'm not saying he's got a shot or anything. All I'm saying is that he isn't a dumb choice like you're making him out to be.

Smooth Criminal

Freduardo

Smash Champion
No it is not.

"B-b-but MUH SPLATOON"

SQUID GIRL FOR SMASH?!?

HAMTARO FOR SMASH?!?

I've gone Popeye for smash. Numerous times. For the reason you said.

Also cause Popeye's horrible/awesome.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
StarTropics comes out on the Virtual Console this week. Anyone want to start hoping for Mike Jones? This week is probably the only time it will make sense.
Wow, really? That's great! (Can't believe it took Nintendo all this time to do it, but you know, whatever!)

TheMagpie6006

Smash Rookie
NNID
magpie6006woof7
It would also be nice if they added more pokemon or just 3rd party characters with different move sets that we never seen before. that would be awesome.

D

Deleted member

The game has not even been released in Japan, and a majority of Japanese fans as far as I've heard don't even know who he is.
Excluding Steam (if it doesn't count for Shantae, it shouldn't count for Shovel Knight either), a localized Japan release is in the works (Yacht Club finally got a Publisher for it back in April, the first hurdle that was stalling it).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I just want to see the meltdowns from the "muh relevance" and "muh iconicness" folks.
Shovel Knight would only fuel the "muh relevance" posts because that basically what would get him in. We don't know where Shovel Knight will be in the next 6 years by the next Smash game. People could easily forget about him if nothing else is done with him.

Also, there is a reason people want iconicness is because without it, there is nothing special about the character getting in. Not to mention, believe it or not, a lot of people don't care about indie stuff. So if we just starting getting characters for no special reason, people are going to be furious. Way more furious then Dark Pit ever made people. Trust me, you actually don't want to see the meltdown.

Not to mention that Shovel Knight represents a niche of gaming that's on the up and up, whether you wanna believe it or not. I imagine he'd be like how Shulk is represented in Smash outside of his own franchise---a kinda figurehead for all of those other Project Rainfall games---only for the indie variety.

Smooth Criminal
I don't like this reasoning. Especially when both Quote and Commander Video do it better to me. I could say Cave Story and the Bit Trip games have some legacy. (Bit.Trip did get a trophy in smash). Cave Story is also more inspiring if thats what you are going for. One, single guy made Cave Story as oppose to a team that made Shovel Knight that was also originally a part of another team with lots of gaming experience.

I will not deny Shovel Knight COULD be legendary. But Shovel Knight really only just started. Maybe his next game bombs really hard for example, then what? I mean, it can always happen. How about that Mighty No. 9, People were really excited about it and it was from what was now considered an amazing developer and now look what is going on. A large chunk of people are now angry.

I would also like to say I'm not saying Quote or Commander Video should be in smash bros. But if we are talking in terms of importance only, I feel Quote and/or Commander Video outrank them.

I would also like to say I never played a bit trip game so I don't even know if they are good or not. I'm purely saying Commander Video should be in if we are talking in terms of iconicness by the fact he got a trophy. That has to mean something special if we are talking indie importance.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...why on Earth would you bring up Mighty No. 9 to reinforce your point? That's Inafune and his team being a buncha exploitative jackasses to their fanbase. Yacht Club hasn't done anything like that, and so far, with Plague of Shadows and Amiibo support expanding the core game itself (with co-op), I'd say they have a good track record AND commercial success.

Beyond that, I can kinda see what you're saying about Cave Story and Commander Video. Only kind of because, well, it's a combination of factors. Just like you said. For example, Rayman has a trophy; does that mean he needs to be in the game now? Is he that iconic for that reason?

This is why I hate speculation.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
...why on Earth would you bring up Mighty No. 9 to reinforce your point? That's Inafune and his team being a buncha exploitative jackasses to their fanbase. Yacht Club hasn't done anything like that, and so far, with Plague of Shadows and Amiibo support expanding the core game itself (with co-op), I'd say they have a good track record AND commercial success.

Beyond that, I can kinda see what you're saying about Cave Story and Commander Video. Only kind of.

Smooth Criminal
Technically yes, technically no. As Yacht Club, they have done great things for the games they love to make. So was wayforward. Wayforward also puts great effort in the games they want to make. I don't know what percentage of Yacht Club did this when they with Wayforward, but Wayforward was notorious for making horrible licensed games just to make enough money to make the games they actually care about. Wayforward wasn't above doing unethical things to make money.

I'm giving Yacht Club the benefit of doubt on this. They haven't done anything wrong so far. But they are still a new company. We don't know what they will do now that Shovel Knight is popular. I trust in them so far though.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That's called doing work to live, bro. There's nothing unethical about being contracted to make something. That's part of what the gaming industry is about.

Sometimes you gotta wade through **** to get to what you wanna do.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are we going to see tons of debates of Shovel Knight until the next character reveal?
Well, at least this is better than the Chorus Ki-OH WHY DID I HAVE TO BRING THEM UP AGAIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom