• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Right... After all, the ballot isn't a popularity contest.
The ballot isn't an election, but popularity will be a vital factor if Sakurai is a man of his word. This poll does a great job at looking at who is most universally liked, but since there's no anti-vote option on the Smash ballot (unless you waste a vote writing in why a character shouldn't be in, which lol), it isn't as clean a measurement of support as a regular poll. It is certainly more thorough, however, and it's interesting to see where the lesser-knowns have ended up.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers at #3 and Snake at #5.

Do I even need to say any more? The best vets are here to rep. Pretty pleased with this.
destroyed.gif

Also very amused at the poll's file name being "ridleypoll."

So my "most wanted" list goes like this:

1. :snake: #5, my man! Hopefully his toned gluteus maximus will sneak back into Smash to inspire us all to work out more... oh, and to screw everyone over with C4s.
2. :popo: #3! Wow, so good! I know they won't make it, but they've got a pretty good shot at the next game. Stay strong, snowy settlers.
3. Inkling, #2. Well well well! Now that's some support. You keep it at it.
4. King K. Rool, #6. Surprised he's not #1. But it's still good.
5. Ivysaur at #28... below Squirtle...
lana wtf.png
You disappoint me sometimes.
6. Ridley, #22. Also surprised he's not doing as hot.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
...Not sure what you tried to prove here? I mean she has a different hairstyle, and she is a tiny bit shorter, but ok? I mean, technically Wii fit trainer Female was shorter than her male counterpart, but they were adjusted to be the same height. Heck, the koopalings are totally different, and they still managed to work. Even Daisy looked a tiny bit noticeably different from peach, they could still make her hurtboxes/hitboxes exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, I think a majority of people think she would probably have a sports moveset if not a clone...but thats also a problem. Do people really care about sports all that much here? Like would it be interesting? Sure, it's unique, but do people care about it?

I think the overall problem with Daisy is that she doesn't have anything really going for her.

Rosalina beat her out in terms of character with her whole backstory business. Waluigi beats her out in terms of hilarity. What does Daisy have? She's a tomboy? A whole bunch of other characters in gaming are as well.

The only main series game she appeared in was Mario Land, which she didn't do anything in other than exist. Even then, the only reason she did was to help build the brand new world Mario was in...which hasn't been brought back since. Characters like Rosalina were at least more involved in the plot.

Overall, why would people who don't care about Daisy, want her? Thats the main problem I feel. I mean sure, I'm a tiny bit hypocritical when I say that involving Bandana Dee who is in a similar boat, but at least people want a new Kirby character and/or could be interested in the idea of a spear based moveset. And thats another thing, Daisy is in a majorly populated series.

Daisy has everything against her I'm sorry to say.
I'm pretty neutral on Daisy but I would like to take issue with one of your points. Sports video games are historically one of the biggest genres around and Nintendo specifically has a long history of developing them dating back to the NES, I've always thought a sports-themed character would be a pretty wonderful addition.

(That said, when you need to point out the number of eyelashes when looking for differences between two characters you know you may be reaching just a bit)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I swear, if Shovel Knight turns out to be a DLC character I will unleash a Smashchu-esque tirade on this board. Not even joking.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm pretty neutral on Daisy but I would like to take issue with one of your points. Sports video games are historically one of the biggest genres around and Nintendo specifically has a long history of developing them dating back to the NES, I've always thought a sports-themed character would be a pretty wonderful addition.

(That said, when you need to point out the number of eyelashes when looking for differences between two characters you know you may be reaching just a bit)
Yeah, sports games are usually popular. Though two things. One, the Mario sports gams I'm not sure qualify as those sports games and two, is Daisy the best representative of them?

I mean people mention DISHO, does that mean she will only use moves from the Striker games? Meaning only soccer? Don't we already have a soccer item anyway? Heck, what ARE the sports stuff she uses? Would it even be the best representative of the sport? Mario has never been in an American football based game, so an incredibly popular sport is out of her moveset.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I swear, if Shovel Knight turns out to be a DLC character I will unleash a Smashchu-esque tirade on this board. Not even joking.
Don't.

The moment you go on a tirade is the moment you lose all sympathy. It will only look foolish.

Star. You're a bud. I know you're better than that.

D

Deleted member

Making a rant will not make Shovel Knight dissapear from the game.

If he is indeed in the game as we speak, then no hate will get in his way.

EDIT: sorry if i sound rude, im just throwing my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, sports games are usually popular. Though two things. One, the Mario sports gams I'm not sure qualify as those sports games and two, is Daisy the best representative of them?

I mean people mention DISHO, does that mean she will only use moves from the Striker games? Meaning only soccer? Don't we already have a soccer item anyway? Heck, what ARE the sports stuff she uses? Would it even be the best representative of the sport? Mario has never been in an American football based game, so an incredibly popular sport is out of her moveset.
Well then there's only one Nintendo-published sports game series to fill the gap

Ken Griffey Jr. 4 Smash

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Don't.

The moment you go on a tirade is the moment you lose all sympathy. It will only look foolish.

Star. You're a bud. I know you're better than that.
I will go full Skip Bayless.

I'm too lazy and bust to go on a legitimate tirade.

Making a rant will not make Shovel Knight dissapear from the game.

If he is indeed in the game as we speak, then no hate will get in his way.

EDIT: sorry if i sound rude, im just throwing my 2 cents.
The whimsical side of me would say that hatred does not inherently need be logical.

The serious side of me would say that the selection is so jarring even by Sakurai's standard that I, literally, would be shocked.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Listen.
If Shovel Knight was, say, a 3-game series which always had a strong push on Nintendo content before others (like the WiiU getting the first version, the entire Amiibo matter), I'd be a lot more accepting to the idea. He'd then be a more successful Shantae, more or less.

It's the fact that his game currently is a one-title "series" with the recent DLC which, while fun and reinvents the way you play through the game... is still a new "mode" for the first game, if that makes sense.

We'll see what Yacht Club has managed in the early-mid 2020's when we're talking about 5mash. For now, I just don't see him in Smash. I feel like they especially would've held back on the Amiibo production if he had enough of a strong standing and consideration/choosing in the ballot.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
So, what does that make WFT?

D

Deleted member

You're being a bit obsessive here. Every post has been about Daisy even if the topic has nothing to do with her. You don't need to bring her up in every conversation. You don't see me bringing up Viridi in every post.
Best to ignore it.
He spams Gamefaqs with it too.

So, what does that make WFT?
A yoga-themed character.
Only one move is sports-like, and that's Header.

Would venting such tirade be worth an old-school, no-holds-barred rant from me?

Last edited by a moderator:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Don't get me wrong, I think a majority of people think she would probably have a sports moveset if not a clone...but thats also a problem. Do people really care about sports all that much here? Like would it be interesting? Sure, it's unique, but do people care about it?
She doesn't have to strictly use sports. A lot of the moves of Mario characters have aren't canon at all. They just have an overall theme to them.

Daisy's good with flowers right? Then give her some moves that take advantage of this. Since no one bothers to use Piranha Plants, maybe Daisy can use them for special attacks. Give her a Flower Glider for recovery that can snap to do all sorts of things. Flowerbed Return could be a defensive side B that plants flowers beneath the ground to slow opponents. A few sports based moves for her standard attacks and we are golden.

I feel like people say Daisy has a lack of personality because she never really got the opportunity to show her personality besides a select few games. In Mario Party for example, EVERYONE has to play the same, and it's as dull as dishwater. Smash Bros on the other hand - gives the characters the opportunity to show their true colours. It's probably why Captain Falcon became so popular.

Burruni

Smash Hero
She doesn't have to strictly use sports. A lot of the moves of Mario characters have aren't canon at all. They just have an overall theme to them.

Daisy's good with flowers right? Then give her some moves that take advantage of this. Since no one bothers to use Piranha Plants, maybe Daisy can use them for special attacks. Give her a Flower Glider for recovery that can snap to do all sorts of things. Flowerbed Return could be a defensive side B that plants flowers beneath the ground to slow opponents. A few sports based moves for her standard attacks and we are golden.

I feel like people say Daisy has a lack of personality because she never really got the opportunity to show her personality besides a select few games. In Mario Party for example, EVERYONE has to play the same, and it's as dull as dishwater. Smash Bros on the other hand - gives the characters the opportunity to show their true colours. It's probably why Captain Falcon became so popular.
A character limited to just the sports games and other small spin-offs has no character because everyone has to play the same?

I'd argue that the spin-offs give MORE room for character to be shown off than most of the main-series games. You wanna talk about playing the same? Look at New Super Mario Bros. or even 3D Land.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is the exact kind of stuff I fear would happen if a non-iconic third-party got in. I get the iconic mindset and all, but It's best to warm up to the idea while you can.
Shovel Knight isn't inevitable, so he doesn't have do to anything, especially if it turnhs out to be false in the end.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This is the exact kind of stuff I fear would happen if a non-iconic third-party got in. I get the iconic mindset and all, but It's best to warm up to the idea while you can.
It's a dumb choice, no question, but outside my hyperbolic jesting it doesn't have much effect on me. The only thing TRULY worth ranting about is the fumbling of stages.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
There's a difference between a character not in the league of Pac-Man/Mega Man (Say, Professor Layton) and a character that happens to have his single game released recently (Shovel Knight)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
We're exactly one week from the stage release. Anyone have predictions on what day, if any, we'll be receiving info? I'm predicting we wouldn't get anything big till the 29th because of how the Lucas patch went. But I also think Mii Costumes and things like that could be revealed any time now.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
This is something I 100% agree with; the gestalt of the character should be taken into consideration just as much as his/her "canon" abilities. The parts need to contribute to a unified whole.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Besides the fact Shovel Knight himself is a great character, originated from one of the best games I ever played, posts like this are what makes me want him to be DLC in Smash. I just want to see the meltdowns from the "muh relevance" and "muh iconicness" folks.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Man, if Butt Butt would cause a ****storm, imagine the utter hell that'd be unleashed if we got a character like Optimus Prime instead of a veteran or any of the popular newcomers. :p

Man, if Butt Butt would cause a ****storm, imagine the utter hell that'd be unleashed if we got a character like Optimus Prime instead of a veteran or any of the popular newcomers. :p
All Goku/Shrek/other non-video game character fans would start thinking that their characters are now possible. Yes, it would indeed be a hell...

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
All Goku/Shrek/other non-video game character fans would start thinking that their characters are now possible. Yes, it would indeed be a hell...
To be honest, I think it'd be slightly easier to swallow getting Prime as opposed to Goku, since at the very least there's precedent for Nintendo to work with Hasbro on the IP directly through Splatoon, a luxury not many other fourth-parties have. Since that's a thing, the prospect of maybe seeing a Hasbro character in Smash as a guest fighter is a little more reasonable, if not much. It'd still not be King K.Rool or Ridley, but at least he's a classic character in some manner.

Besides that, it's not like he'd sell horribly; so there's no financial risks, either. If the rules allowed for it, I'd probably already have made a support thread for him. :p

EDIT: I looked over the rules, and I'm not seeing anything that says we can't make support threads for fourth parties (the closest I can find is the rule where third-parties have to have some relationship to Nintendo)...hrm. Considering the recent thing with Splatoon, it's entirely possible for me to do this, unless we're going strictly by Ballot rules, too.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well Optimus Prime has at least been in a Crossover fighting game before at least (Even if it was Japan only)

Also notable for having a few of Konami's owned franchises that have been supported for Smash in the past. Solid Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont.

But still, no way he would have any chance in Smash.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
But still, no way he would have any chance in Smash.
Ehh.....that's debatable, because what qualifies someone as having a chance for Smash is if Sakurai could feasibly create a moveset that he likes for the character, mostly, which is why we've been denied Ridley so much (though that's still kind of debatable).

If he's given the rights to Optimus Prime and told "Try to think of a creative moveset for this character", he'll do it regardless of who that character is, because hey if he can do it that's more money for the company, even if he'd normally be against it. Sakurai always tries things before giving up on them, so it'd be no different in this scenario. Remember how he'd said Villager was "too peaceful" for Smash when Brawl was out? Same principle; he'll try something before scrapping it, and maybe come back to it at a later date.

It doesn't mean it will happen, but regardless the fact remains that he'd try to make it work. And the benefits would outweigh the complaints in this scenario anyways, financially. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well then there's only one Nintendo-published sports game series to fill the gap

Ken Griffey Jr. 4 Smash
No love for Mahjong? After all, it was popular enough to be be a costume in Mario Maker and have Toadsworth appear as an opponent in Yakuman DS.

And forget Butt Butt, a mahjong character or tile alone would cause more of a ****storm in the end. Just look at the number of Wolf and Daisy fans that blame it for stealing their slot. :troll:

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Of all the characters who are possible that II DON'T want, Butt Butt actually wouldn't be awful. At least his game is fun. Not saying g he's earned a playable status yet, but I think I could get over it. Possibly even play him. I think he'd be a better Swordfighter Costume though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, it was. Someone pointed out that the Shovel Knight model was a borrowed model from someone else, and that the font on the trophy description was off.
Damn shame for the Shovel Knight fans out there. It's probably for the best, though.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Is it ok to admit that as far as 4th party fighters go, that I would rather have Popeye, and Scrooge McDuck rather than Optimus Prime? After all, unlike Goku, they actually had history with Nintendo. Matter of fact, Popeye's actually somewhat responsible for Mario and Donkey Kong!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Is it ok to admit that as far as 4th party fighters go, that I would rather have Popeye, and Scrooge McDuck rather than Optimus Prime? After all, unlike Goku, they actually had history with Nintendo. Matter of fact, Popeye's actually somewhat responsible for Mario and Donkey Kong!
Just saying.
If we were to get any 4th Party character, I stand that it should be Mickey himself.
One of few characters on Mario-tier common knowledge and popularity, had a specific Game & Watch made FOR him, famous SNES titles, and.... it's Mickey Mouse.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Just saying.
If we were to get any 4th Party character, I stand that it should be Mickey himself.
One of few characters on Mario-tier common knowledge and popularity, had a specific Game & Watch made FOR him, famous SNES titles, and.... it's Mickey Mouse.
The Dutchman in me sees Donald Duck to join the fray before Mickey but Mickey is the Disney mascot in the rest of the world (except maybe Brazil where it's a casanova parrot called Joe Carioca)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom