• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Worst matchup (TOP 3).

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Don't shield too much against the G-Dorf... it hurts :(

Shield piercing FTL.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I main five people(including IC's and DK) and DK is the second easiest matchup for the IC's next to Bowser. If DK decides to camp, go after him then if he jumps, roll dodge(assuming he d-airs) then get a grab on him and a good combo equals the stock. If he comes after you when you camp, run toward him to and dodge his first attack, and do whatever kll combo there is, if you get hit, counter his suposed combo and recover quickly then repeat comboing him

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
kackamee....you obviously don't seem to know much about the matchup nor the individual characters themselves. The information you provided is both lacking and ineffective.
Roll dodge and get the grab? Dodge his first attack an do whatever kill combo?
Umm, wow? That's a joke, right?

Please take the time to play some experienced DK players instead of lvl 9's, your little sister,... what have you.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I main five people(including IC's and DK) and DK is the second easiest matchup for the IC's next to Bowser. If DK decides to camp, go after him then if he jumps, roll dodge(assuming he d-airs) then get a grab on him and a good combo equals the stock. If he comes after you when you camp, run toward him to and dodge his first attack, and do whatever kll combo there is, if you get hit, counter his suposed combo and recover quickly then repeat comboing him
lol, i'd love to play you in a MM if those are your strategies. Sounds like easy money to me. :) I think that you've never played a good DK...Any DK that gets beat by those strategies isn't even mediocre

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
1. falco
2. sheik
3. fox

in that order, i think thats the idea that almost all good dk players will share

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
1. falco
2. sheik
3. fox

in that order, i think thats the idea that almost all good dk players will share
lol, well..according to my tournament results, i guess you could say that my worst matchups are...

1. Falco
2. Captain Falcon
3. umm....maybe...ganon? lol, i dunno

I've beaten every fox i've played in forever. I haven't played a whole lot of sheiks, but i've beaten the best sheiks in norcal and all the others i've played...so...yeah...lol

DRGN

Technowizard
eh, like i said, everyone's gonna have their own opinions. I try to make my list based off of fighting these characters when the user has DK experience. I **** tons of falco's, foxes, sheiks, marths, etc that are pretty good, but they don't have dk experience, so i try to omit those matches when i'm considering worst matchups
This is an excellent/important point. Obviously if the players don't fully know the reasons for a supposed counter, then most often it don't mean ****. It needs to be known why said counter exists in order for traits/tactics to come forward as advantages.

lol, well..according to my tournament results, i guess you could say that my worst matchups are...

1. Falco
2. Captain Falcon

I've beaten every fox i've played in forever. I haven't played a whole lot of sheiks, but i've beaten the best sheiks in norcal and all the others i've played...so...yeah...lol
Aww, :(, I wish I could play you sometime Mexican, we haven't played in forever!

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman

1. Falco
2. Captain Falcon

i actually consider ganon and captain falcon harder than people think too but i dunno dk is horrible and i'm sure you've beaten alot of foxes but i dunno foxes are a dime and dozen and not usually THAT good and don't have dk experience. the fox that i play regularly and have lost to in tournament several times knows exactly HOW to **** dk and its just awful so ya i dunno my 2 cents

James Sparrow

Smash Master
1. Falco
2. Jiggly
3. Fox

Pikachu is up there too. A good pika will **** you with up air and dsmash. It's like they automatically hit you no matter where you are.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
l
Lol k, i'm glad that i'm not the only that feels DK has hard problems with Ganon

And I try to omit people who are really good just haven't played excellent DK players. I have a good DK, but if I were to go against another nice DK i'd prolly lose cause i've only had 1 match against a really nice DK and I got 1 stocked with my Mario and I haven't played one since.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
1. Falco
2. Jiggly
3. Fox

Pikachu is up there too. A good pika will **** you with up air and dsmash. It's like they automatically hit you no matter where you are.
Explain jiggly.

Pikachu? It's the opposite. DK **** him. I have yet to lose to any pikachu, and i've beaten (read: *****) chu's.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
DK is too easy to rest in my experience... but maybe it's different if you're good.

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
DK is too easy to rest in my experience... but maybe it's different if you're good.
remarks like this are ****ing ********. yes you are an experienced and respected smasher but everytime you post you throw in a sarcastic comment at the end like, "i wish i had a good dk :(" but whatever. if you wanna say you think jiggs isn't easy than just say it, but i'm not gonna drop everything and agree with you just because at one point you were considered one of the best dk's

James Sparrow

Smash Master
DK is easy to rest, and can't do any throw combos, i think cargo uthrow uair works at like 0% and then not after that. You have to be really creative to get kills, and I just don't like the matchup. I got owned by zig zag's pikachu when i played him at a low tier tournament in the finals, and switched to pichu and did way better. it was sad.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
remarks like this are ****ing ********. yes you are an experienced and respected smasher but everytime you post you throw in a sarcastic comment at the end like, "i wish i had a good dk :(" but whatever. if you wanna say you think jiggs isn't easy than just say it, but i'm not gonna drop everything and agree with you just because at one point you were considered one of the best dk's
Slow down there, cowboy. What I meant was "pkm is good, so maybe it's different for him. After all, he doesn't seem to think that Jiggly is so difficult." I really didn't mean that the way you interpreted it.

I know if I were up against a Jiggly I wouldn't pick DK. I'd probably ditto him.

N64

Smash Champion
Mmm, wish I got around to playing you at VLS pkm, but you guys left so unexpectedly. I play kwan (decent dk from upstate new york) about every other day, so I feel fairly farmiliar with the matchup.

I wouldn't say it's one of DK's worst, but DK doesn't **** chu. That is to say, both have pretty **** combos on eachother, so it's usually whoever starts the combo first does substantial damage to the other. If pika gets grabbed, he takes like 40-50% or dies if he starts over 80%. Pikachu actually has some throw combos on DK (for once) as well though. With platforms, uthrow fair regrab uthrow dair is possible (or techchase usmash or a few other options). Without platforms, uthrow dair regrab uthrow dair usmash thunder works like a charm, seemingly regardless of DI (if you can DI the usmash off the stage, the thunder is no longer worth it, but still). Otherwise pika has too many options to pressure DK's crummy shield. Rising and falling uairs are pretty safe as long as pika remains far enough to the side to just graze DK's shield. If it shieldstabs, combo go, if not then DK doesn't have anything to punish with. Pika can also duck shbairs from DK, a common approach, and usmash/dsmash/grab DK after it. Jolts, while not nearly as good as lasers, can shieldstab and turn DK around, and are also almost always a free grab or usmash if they hit. Uair raaapes DK's poor vertical recovery. When recovering, if DK relies on distancing himself from the edge, pika can do downangle ftilts forever. If DK relies on teching, pika can just jab (untechable), or jolt (also untechable) as it follows the stage and will hit DKs that wallhug with their upB. Also, Pika doesn't have much need to pressure DK from directly above ever, so his upB doesn't help him much as an attack in this matchup.

I really think it's one of DK's harder matchups, and one of pika's easier ones. Not in DK's top 3 though. As long as pika doesn't get grabbed much, he's fairly safe. And since DK doesn't have anything that leads into grabs (except like low percent dairs, which are rare at best) and he can't rely on speed or great grab range or quick turning ability or a good wavedash (for wdgrabs from shield), he has to rely on mindgames and the pika screwing up to catch him.

Also I don't like chu's pika. It seems too limited and misses too many opportunities.

Kips

Smash Ace
His worst matchup is Fox/Falco. They can bog him down with laser spam and then abuse him in close physical combat with their speedy attacks. On top of that they have a strong aerial game that can seriously hurt DKs chances of winning.

His second worst matchup is, in my humble opinion, Link. Link and DK are similar in that they're medium/heavyweights with powerful strikes. Unsimilar is that Link has many disjointed hitboxes, a wide variety of projectiles can abuse them to the max.

His third worst matchup is Sheik, personally. Sheik can outpower and outspeed him on the ground and beat him to the punch in the air, delivering powerful strikes. On top of this is the fact that she has a projectile, her recovery is harder to abuse then a normal one and that her combos can absolutely wreck DK.

Just my two cents there.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
Mmm, wish I got around to playing you at VLS pkm, but you guys left so unexpectedly. I play kwan (decent dk from upstate new york) about every other day, so I feel fairly farmiliar with the matchup.

I wouldn't say it's one of DK's worst, but DK doesn't **** chu. That is to say, both have pretty **** combos on eachother, so it's usually whoever starts the combo first does substantial damage to the other. If pika gets grabbed, he takes like 40-50% or dies if he starts over 80%. Pikachu actually has some throw combos on DK (for once) as well though. With platforms, uthrow fair regrab uthrow dair is possible (or techchase usmash or a few other options). Without platforms, uthrow dair regrab uthrow dair usmash thunder works like a charm, seemingly regardless of DI (if you can DI the usmash off the stage, the thunder is no longer worth it, but still). Otherwise pika has too many options to pressure DK's crummy shield. Rising and falling uairs are pretty safe as long as pika remains far enough to the side to just graze DK's shield. If it shieldstabs, combo go, if not then DK doesn't have anything to punish with. Pika can also duck shbairs from DK, a common approach, and usmash/dsmash/grab DK after it. Jolts, while not nearly as good as lasers, can shieldstab and turn DK around, and are also almost always a free grab or usmash if they hit. Uair raaapes DK's poor vertical recovery. When recovering, if DK relies on distancing himself from the edge, pika can do downangle ftilts forever. If DK relies on teching, pika can just jab (untechable), or jolt (also untechable) as it follows the stage and will hit DKs that wallhug with their upB. Also, Pika doesn't have much need to pressure DK from directly above ever, so his upB doesn't help him much as an attack in this matchup.

I really think it's one of DK's harder matchups, and one of pika's easier ones. Not in DK's top 3 though. As long as pika doesn't get grabbed much, he's fairly safe. And since DK doesn't have anything that leads into grabs (except like low percent dairs, which are rare at best) and he can't rely on speed or great grab range or quick turning ability or a good wavedash (for wdgrabs from shield), he has to rely on mindgames and the pika screwing up to catch him.

Also I don't like chu's pika. It seems too limited and misses too many opportunities.
We should have played, it kinda sucks we had to leave earlier. I wanted to do my single match with chillin :(

I understand what you say, but I disagree when you say DK has nothing that leads to grab. CC grab, dashdance to pivot grab works very well. DK's grab range is much better than pikachu, if you intend on grabbing me, i'll grab you even more.

Up throw giant punch @ 60-70% is a stock. Charging a punch against pikachu isn't incredibly hard either.

Bair eats through everything pika has when approaching, and duking doesn't help either. I don't know about kwan, but I always bair on the way down, so no problem hitting pika.

You need to up smash to KO me or get a gimp ko with up air, other than that, DK survives more than pikachu does.

This little argument is pretty futile, i'll just leave it at that and say it's a shame we didn't get to play. Maybe in the future, pound 3?

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
PKM we should have played at VLS too =(

Like a lot and stuff =( hah

It was nice meeting you at least
I wanted to play you too. You were one of the only guy over there to actually ask for games, that's always fun to hear!

Too bad the whole tournament was hmm.. well... you know yeah. Not much time or TVs for hardcore bowser dittos :(

N64

Smash Champion
Pound 3 sounds good. I'll look forward to it :)

Edit: and yeah, I see what you're saying. Maybe I just think it's one of pika's easier matchups because pika is a terrible character and doesn't have good matchups otherwise heh. Hopefully we'll get to play and, even if I get owned, I'll get to learn more about the matchup.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
I think you ***** my dk at FC in friendlies n64. Iirc, I told you how much I loathed the matchup and you gave me some tips. I really haven't had a chance to play the matchup since then too much.

RobertSunx

Smash Rookie
Uh, personally, I think that these are DK's worsts matchups.

1. Falco, DK's Size is one of his biggest cons and that pesky Dair can lead into some devastating combos. (The Laser FTW)
2. Captain Falco , Once Again, DK's Size makes him very vulnerable to the AWED knee. (Lulz)
3. Sheik, she's just way too fast for most of us and those needles can be very annoying when trying to recover.

Top Bottom