• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Vs. Kirby... can I have some advice please?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I have a huge DK vs Kirby MM on Saturday, so the sooner I get advice, the better! I'm pretty unfamiliar with playing against Kirby, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

(Things I'm most concerned about)
-How to edgeguard effectively
-What attacks to watch out for
-Which throw combos work well?
-What attacks/combos work well?

Thanks alot. ^_^

Tujex

Smash Ace
I don't play with DK, but when I need advice on a certain character I normally go prod around their board to gather information. It's helped so far....

Gea

Smash Master
Dtilt is your friend. Basically if Kirby approaches on the ground... annoy him with dtilts, ftilts and the occasional fsmash. If it is a large stage take that time to move away and charge some punch.

You want kirby in the air. He has slow horizontal speed and pretty much all of your aerials **** his/him. It might be more difficult to grab (I'm not sure if he can duck your grabs) but waiting for the right moment to dair the puff off of the ground does the trick of getting him into the air, ready for uairs and whatnot.

All of your smashes work great in this match (Kirby's range sucks) and you can edgeguard with bair/edgehogging.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I don't paly dk but I KNOW how to beat $a kirby, he's floaty as gea said you want him int he air, if you use the up air on him while he's at a decent percentage then he dies,Kirby dies fast when being hit up, especially on stages like ys that have a low ceiling. But watch out for Kriby's dair meteor, you can cancel its more awkwardly timed than the other meteors.

I doubt he will try this but if he's desperate and your at high damage and he's at the edge he'll use the back throw taking you both of the ledge and most likely, with him surviving.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Kirby ***** DK, that's not a joke lol.

For KOs generally just choose your spots and plant your giant punch. Otherwise, spam low backairs quickly and watch out for CC dtilt or worse, CC uptilt or even worse, getting outprioritized by the uptilt. F-air is good to throw in for a mindgame, because Kirbs is generally bad at dodging things.

Kirbies are going to play gay spacing games and occasionally eat you and grab you. Their grab range is goot. Back air has the priorities but you want to be FAST with it and hit with it lots. Don't worry about missing Kirby doesn't punish you lols.

Oh and spot upairs if he goes to high, they kill at relatively good percents.

Why is this matchup bad? Play a Kirby that knows how to spotdodge. You really can't do anything amazing, that spotdodge is too good. It's like playing monkey vs. Peach, only without ... all the other gay stuff that peach does. Also, weirdly enough, all of Kirby's B moves are good against you (down b for edgeguarding, up b as a projectile, side b combos into uptilt kinda, neutral be eats you until you quit smash)

^^Ed: Above note on kirbycides, generally they don't go for the backthrow because it's too easy to wiggle, they'll use the upthrow.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I have a huge DK vs Kirby MM on Saturday, so the sooner I get advice, the better! I'm pretty unfamiliar with playing against Kirby, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks alot. ^_^
Ok, so I don't play DK very much at all. Just a rare friendly here and there. However, I am probably the most knowlegeable person on earth on how to fight a Kirby, considering my brother is argued to be the best Kirby player in the world. So, I'll give you some advice:

How to edgeguard effectively
Put your back towards Kirby. If he comes near you, B-air him. Watch out for when he grabs the edge, he can Final Cutter to D-air to F/D-tilt you and follow through. Also watch for his Swallow when he comes back, he might grab you and bring you down with him. Be swift with your B-airs and you should be good.

What attacks to watch out for?
Watch out for his leads. That would be B-air, F-air, and D-air. Occassionally he'll try to mindgames you into a grab and frustrate you with D-tilt or F-tilt. Counter the B-airs with proper spacing and follow through with your own B-air or tilt. Counter the tilts with your tilts.

Which throw combos work well?
This is more appropriate for the DK players. Just get someone to play Kirby with you. Ask them to let you practice some throw combos. I am going to suggest a forward throw to put him on your back and then throw him up and try an U-air. You might not be able to get a hit on him after you throw him, but maybe you can get an U-air on him. Remember, you can always Kongacide him and laugh because he's supposed to be Kirbyciding you ;^)

What attacks/combos work well?
I would suggest to try to just get taps in on him. B-air him and see where that goes. Keep on tilting from a distance, it should be safe. When he has enough damage on him try to get a strong hit on him, he's light so he should die fairly quickly. Even though he is floaty and light he is still easy to combo, however DK isn't that great at combos and I don't know the character well, so it's up to you and the other DK players to figure this one out. But I would just try to get tilts and B-airs on him and then use my awesome mindgames to Giant Punch him or get a strong U-air or something to finish him off. When I've taken enough damage I'd go for a grab and fall off with him on my back.

I don't paly dk but I KNOW how to beat $a kirby.

I doubt he will try this but if he's desperate and your at high damage and he's at the edge he'll use the back throw taking you both of the ledge and most likely, with him surviving.
You know how to beat a Kirby? Come down to Eugene and play t!mmy, I want to see how much you know ;^D
Just to clear something up, though, if the Kirby player knows his stuff he won't Back Throw unless you've got a decent amount of damage on you so you can't wiggle out so easily. And Kirby will only survive if it is your last stock (the game ends before Kirby loses a stock). Otherwise both characters will lose a stock. I believe there are exceptions to this, it may end in a Sudden Death with some characters/stages, but I am not sure on the specifics.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT KIRBY MATCHUPS GO TO THE KIRBY BOARDS AND TALK TO t!mmY!

dude against kirby just go all out use a lot of bair attacks and if u play a cheap kirby who tries to suck u up and jump off the edge just simply get a giant super punch.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
t0mmy knows the Kirby match-up too well. -.-;

To add to his advice, I have this to say: use safe, quick attacks against Kirby. DK has the range and power to take out Kirby, so play on the defensive to rack up some damage. Once you land a hit that causes Kirby problems such as launching him in the air or getting him off the stage, go more offensive.

Once Kirby is hit into the air, he's much less of a threat, since he's slow and floaty. Once Kirby is off the ledge, his recovery is ***** almost as easily as Falcon's... or maybe moreso. Just get a hit on him as he slowly floats at you, such as with B-air, D-tilt, or F-tilt. He dies.

The one thing that can foil you is Kirby's... weirdness. He can do things you just don't know what they do or didn't expect unless you've played against a skilled Kirby.

Who's the Kirby player, and will these vids be recorded? ^__^

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
*insert cool title*

Huge is a scary word.

-How to edgeguard effectively?
Kirby is lame at getting back on a stage. You shouldn't worry about that. It's like a random nerd hitting on a celebrity. Not gonna happen....
Down tilt or Back air are your best choices.

-What attacks to watch out for?
B-air, This will knock you back so far you would cry. Not really. It's a fast and strong move so, move away.
U-air, Possibly Kirby's best aerial attack. If you ever get hit by one, you should surely know how to DI.
Hammer, This move is linked up to other faster moves...... like up tilt or smashes.
Swallow, Kirby is mad and wants to punch you back, run off a cliff with you in your mouth, or poots you out and then attacks you with a B-air or U-air
Up Tilt A fast and annoying move. Linked to B-airs or U-airs
All His Smashes?A little slow but if you get hit. DOOOONKEY KOOOOONG come back!!!

-Which throw combos work well?
The best throw combo is a Konga-cide (Thanks T0mmy)
Other than that throws that just rack up damage. Maybe back throws to bair or up throw from the forward tap to U-air.

I don't really know how to combo with lighties.... but fast fallers, W00T!!!

-What attacks/combos work well?
Down Tilt, Forward Tilt, and uhm taunting. Kirby's range crys in comparison of DK's. Just swing a F-tilt and slap him over and over. Me as a Kirby play has gotten ***** once that way (Good old days....).

Thanks alot. ^_^
You're welcome?

El HP

Smash Ace
Against small characters like kirby the d-air is useful use it as a launcher to u-air for the kill, use DI it will be hard for kirby to KO you, don't try to rely on u-air combos they don't work on light characters and try to keep your distance with f-tilts and d-tilts.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
YoshiKongBarkley said:
i'm actually learning better tactics on here on how to beat kirby players.
That’s the point of the thread though, isn’t it? :chuckle:

I guess it’s easy to underestimate Kirby … but seriously: if your opponent does try to back-throw suicide, wiggle out of it!

Nashun

Smash Ace
From the Kirby forums.

Donkey Kong is actually a pretty touch matchup =/ He has a long-ranged grab that can get a crouching Kirby, powerful finishers to throws at pretty much any %, and Bair range that Kirby has trouble getting past. It doesn't help that DK is heavy and that almost all of Kirby's killing moves have extremely lenient DI options. You can try a lot of the standard bair utilt ftilt uair combos that work on all of the huge characters in this game, but DK will still build up damage like a mofo with his throw combos and bairs.

=/ And you gotta watch out for his punch, too.

Who knows, though. Maybe my knowledge on the matchup (where to DI, best way to edgeguard, best approach) is limited, but it seems this way to me.
Forward throw -> Up throw gets Kirby at basically any percentage. If you have the reaction speed, you can almost always follow up DK's up throw with at least one hit, whether it's an up air, back air, or forward air.

Your grab outranges almost all of kirby's attacks.
Your back air outranges almost all of kirby's attacks.

What you need to do is approach with well-spaced back airs. Try not to get in range of his grab. Kirby's grabs kinda suck, but if you're not that good he can tech-chase you. You want to play a safe, defensive game. Put a lot of pressure on his shield and use your back air to interrupt anything Kirby throws at you. Once the Kirby gets frustrated and starts to approach you, start shieldgrabbing the CRAP out of him. He can space his back airs so that you can't grab him, but it's extremely tough and more often than not you'll get the grab. Make sure to stay out of range and make sure every time you grab, you do a lot of damage.

Most important moves here are Bair and fthrow -> uthrow. Bair is your main approach, shield grabbing with DK's insane grab range is your main defensive option.

DK can grab a crouching Kirby. This matchup is broken in DK's favor.

Top Bottom