• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK vs Ganon help please!

_V_

Smash Ace
I've been playing DK for a little while now...I had stopped playing melee, then when I started again I picked up playing DK.

I am having a lot of trouble vs my friends Ganondorf, I don't really know why. I also lost a tournament match to Phish-it's Ganon a few months back. There is just something about the match up that I cannot do.

I will try to get some videos up so people can give me more specific advice (maybe I rely on my shield too much, because I always seem to get hit through it vs Ganon), but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

GTOnizukadude

Smash Cadet
Ganon does a decent enough job of poking through shields already without adding in DK's craptastic one. Are you powershielding?

_V_

Smash Ace
@ DippinDots- Yeah DK can uair the crap out of Ganon for a good amount of time...I really don't know what my problem is.

@ GTO- I only really powershield lasers. I am not too good at powershielding melee attacks, though I get lucky sometimes.

I use lightshield pretty much 90% of the time, to try to cover more of my body, but Ganon still gets through my shield a lot of the time...I probably am shielding too much. Haha.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
And of course, you gotta remember that you're fully charged DK Punch is more effective to use than his warlock punch =P.

But seriously, as Gkryptonite said, it's all about spacing.

GTOnizukadude

Smash Cadet
Oh, doh. I mixed up light and power there.

But yeah, spacing. I love using short hopped donkey punches, personally.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
DK vs Ganon is a pretty unever match imo. i think ganon has the advantage of course. if they DI right they won't get uair ***** too bad. just space well and try and get the grab in of course. he shuoldn't be too hard to edgegaurd either since he can't sweetspot.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Don't prolong your UAir juggles. Get in about two, then just knock him off the stage. Edgeguarding Ganon is cake, so that is where you want him: off the stage.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
DK vs Ganon is a pretty unever match imo. i think ganon has the advantage of course. if they DI right they won't get uair ***** too bad. just space well and try and get the grab in of course. he shuoldn't be too hard to edgegaurd either since he can't sweetspot.
Wrong!

This is possibly DK's best match-up. (Roy doesn't count.)

B-air beats anything Ganon will do, which is f-air 90% of the time. If he shields, l-cancel into and u-b. This will sometimes beat out his jab and if he thinks he's hot **** and is gonna f-air you you get a free sweetspot.

Grab combos ****. Use all of the variations of the combo. They all work and work well depending on percents.

Edge-guard is too good.

I would say more but in all honesty that is all you need to beat Ganon.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Ganons are tough. They pound right through your shield and the back air is hard to deal with. It's not TOO bad considering that Ganon is slow and stupid and easy to combo.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
You'd be surprised at how often you can just run at a ganondorf and just shorthop u air and it'll hit them, starting the combo. Almost every ganondorf jumps when someone approaches. It won't work forever though. But ganondorf is easily juggled, and not just by the u air either. N air and B air juggle pretty well too.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
^ lawl@nair juggles.

Just don't get trapped in your shield. Because its so small, Ganon's aerials eat through it so easily. Cargo uair ***** him. Just link a few to a GP or w/e. :D

Top Bottom