• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK [Fake] Chain Grab Technique?

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
NOTE: This move can be gotten out of, but is much more effective that DK's D-throw chain grab (which is also not a true chain grab) and may actually make your opponent believe there is nothing he can do and that this technique is actually a chain grab. I have never seen any mention of this technique, and I have found it useful so far, so I have decided to share it with out all despite the fact that it is not a true chain grab.

NOTE 2: This may have been something so obvious that it has never been posted just due to everyone already knowing about it. If so, my apologies

NOTE 3: Jigglypuff seems to be too light for this technique to work on her. I could be wrong though.

Now, on to the more important things, the actually technique. It all started when I was playing with my brother yesterday (5/9/08) and he escaped out of DK's Cargo Grab. For those who don't know, DK's Cargo Grab is his forward throw, which lifts him onto his back and offers DK players an additional 4 more throws on top of there original 3 (no forward throw due to that being DK's cargo). When a player escapes out of DK's normal grab, or any other characters grab, they are sent a good distance away from his opponent, usually out of the reach of each other's Smash Attacks, Grabs, or anything else they would normally do to each other.

However, these rules do not apply to breaking free from a Cargo Grab. Once free, DK's opponent is directly in front of him (except Jigglypuff, whose size and weight seem to send her just a bit farther than everyone else). DK also recovers from the lag resulting from his opponent breaking free of the cargo grab faster than his opponent does. This allows DK to grab him, hit a couple of times (depending on the percentages), walk forward, and repeat the process. The things this can allow DK to do are:

-Walk his opponent to the KO zone (I do not know the official term) and then cargo D Throw them for an easy KO on stages with walk-off edges. (Example- Bridge of Eldin)
-Walk his opponent to the ledge of stages that allow DK (or any character really) to stage spike them, put damage on them, and when ready, stage spike them for a free KO.
-Do up to around 110% on most characters (at that point, they are knocked far enough away to escape the chain. I may be wrong though, the grab may last longer. However, it is definitely not infinite).
-Trick your opponent into actually thinking DK has a chain grab, which can lead to some pretty epic mind games.
**ADDITIONAL PROPERTY**- Your opponent will always fall in the direction you originally grabbed him in. If you grabbed him to the left of you and walked to the left, he would fall to the left (in front of you). If you grabbed him to the right of you and walked to the left, he would fall to the right (behind you). In both situations, you can still grab your opponent, except, when your opponent is behind you, you have to pivot grab (a longer grab). This may be preferable to some people, I don't know.

What opponents CANNOT do to get out of the "Chain Grab"

NOTE: all of this could potentially be wrong, but from what I've tested, these things seem to be true.

-They cannot grab (Maybe another DK can?)
-They cannot attack or smash
-They cannot standing dodge
-They cannot roll dodge

What opponents CAN do to get out of the "Chain Grab"

-Play as Jigglypuff
-Something else

I suggest you all try this move out in your next match against somebody and see if you have the same results. If you all deem this technique useful and wish to give it a name, can I suggest "Jingo Walking" or "Jingo Grabbing" or really anything that has my name in it, assuming I am the original person who discovered this technique? Also, I would like to add that none of the opponents I faced were from these boards, but all of them considered themselves good players and generally do pretty well against me. If somebody could make a video of this technique in action (assuming you all find a use for it), I would appreciate it very much since I cannot myself. If you actually read this all, thanks because I know it was pretty long.

TO LONG DIDN'T READ VERSION: Pick up, cargo, wait until the break out, and then grab again. Can be gotten out of

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Now that someone has posted, I have removed how to get out of it from the original post. I was planning on doing this anyways, not because of what he said in his post.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I guess ill try it, who knows maybe itll be useful at first. But when it gets popular, everyone will know to DI out. And no matter how much you try, i doubt it will be named jingo walkinhg

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
It's still common sense to try to DI out. The most you'll probably get on someone is two or three grabs. But good try I guess.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
tried it today and its pretty **** useful. didnt acutally go for a chaingrab, i used it on a snake i wanted cargo dthrow off the stage for a spike setup. he had just spawned and was in the middle, i grabbed him, walked a bit and stopped, regrabbed, walked again, regrabbed. dthrow him off and spiked

used it again in other matches when i just wasnt able to make the walking distance for the stage spike. stopped near the ledge, regrabbed and got him

and! i got a ****ty bridge of eldin kill with it. pretty awesome

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
I think a jab combo or ftilt afterwards are much safer. Though the downb would be the smartest option, given that most people would dodge or try to run away. regrab is unrealistic imo, it hardly ever works for me.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
oh yea, you prolly wont be able to do it anymore than two or three times per opponent. havent bother trying it anymore than that

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sometimes the opponent gets out backwards and regrab is impossible

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
do they only get out backwards if you grabbed them and walked the opposite way? or can they get out backwards even if you walked straight?

havent had someone get out backwards on me (while walking in the direction i grabbed them in)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
no, its random but it occurs less often

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
I usually use this to get kills at high % by hitting them a few times then cargoing them and walking so they think I'm gonna throw, and once they get out and think they're safe D-smash is fast enough that it hits most of the time. As long as you don't spam it, it won't become too predictable.

Top Bottom