• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Discussion

:034:

Smash Hero
Seriously, what? The game's been out in Hong Kong for several days, was released two days ago in Japan and no DK videos? What's up with that? We wanna know whether they made DK better since E for All!

So, if anybody has the game, PLEASE post some DK impressions and/or videos. Much appreciated.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I wouldn't say no one likes him, it's just that Brawl has only been out for 2 days, and people tend to want to use "flashy" characters first. It just happens that DK isn't one of those characters, maybe later in the week we will get some good videos

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
In one of the more recent polls here, while other characters were racking up a good number of votes, DK still had zero. D:

Its actually unfortunate, because I like DK as a secondary fighter. He's just not my main man, and actually he WAS a main of mine in the days of classic SSB.

denisuki~

Smash Rookie
that's because everyone liked broken characters, wait for the game to come out

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I love DK. The first game I ever owned was DKC... And while I never got all that good at Melee after all those years, DK was always my favorite by far.

I can't wait until Bum gets his hands on Brawl... he's like a hero of mine :p

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
DK has sort of fallen from grace since his arse kicking days in DKC

Taking a back seat in the DKC sequels, DK64 and its Banjo Kazooie rip-offery, Jungle Beat series turning him to a bongo playing metrosexual....yeah, its' been rough for dk

however, he will still be one of my mains once brawl hits state side

DK for Top Tier *****es

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
As much as I like DK as a character he is really boring to play with in Smash. Mario/Link/Fox are all way more popular and Diddy Kong stole alot of his spotlight (woot!)

TheLake

Smash Master
I like DK and even I dont like DK.

But hes my favorite character to **** with in melee if thats any consolation.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I have seen seriously ONE video of him and it was horrible...

He is pretty unpopular lol...

I like him though :(

:034:

Smash Hero
DK64>>>>Banjo-Kazooie>>>>You
Banjo-Tooie > DK 64 > Banjo-Kazooie

But I disgress.

DK has fallen from grace, but my heritage will never allow me to hate the big ape! I mean, come on, he pretty much STARTED gaming as we know it! Without our Kong, there would've never been Jumpman, and without Jumpman no Mario! I think it's unreasonable to just shove aside a character for what's he become, instead of looking at what he used to be and loving him for that.

But alas, it seems not everyone thinks this way.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
If DK has recieved super armour then his usage will increase.

DK, like bowser is slow and a big target, super armour will help them both see more battles.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I've always liked DK...it's just unfortunate that Nintendo always seems to give him the shaft when it comes to games...they seem to experiment with him...Donkey Konga? DK Bongo Blast? DK King of Swing? All PRETTY good games...(cept Bongo Blast, heard that was awful...and Konga gets boring quickly)...but where's our DK64 successor? A full 3D DK game with all of his animal buddies and classic moves; that's what we REALLY want Nintendo. DK Jungle Beat was a step in the right direction...but Bongo Blast was two steps BACKWARDS. C'mon Nintendo! Prove that you can make an EPIC DK platformer WITHOUT Rare!

YOU CAN DO IT NINTENDO...

hey i still like DK i think he's one of their best characters. I just think everyone is just going to play the faster more easy characters but i'll still play the Monkey with a tie LOL.

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Wario players have it the same way, except instead of only one or so matches (they have about three) they have absolutely no matches where he wins. Sad but true, but that fight above was hilarious. DK vs. Link. Winner..... Item Box? (Sorry, that was quite amusing, don't you agree?)

Machspeed

Smash Lord
It's pretty sad actually, ever since Rare stopped making platformers for Nintendo, DK has declined in popularity severely. I still like the big guy, and the whole series to be exact.

It seems all he does in his games now is hit bongos and race...

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't have to do with picking faster characters..

Because as far as Heavy characters are concerned, I guarantee that most people will pick Bowser, Ganondorf, Ike, Dedede, even WARIO before Donkey Kong.

As far as character design and aesthetics are concerned, Donkey Kong is the plainest of the bunch by far and large. It's not an insult, I guarantee that most people like DK for what he is, but it's the sad truth that he is quite plain, even compared to his sidekick Diddy Kong.

Nowadays, flashiness = popularity. Just look at how popular Lucario, Meta-Knight and Wolf are becoming. Even ROB is gaining some steam after everyone got a look at his fighting style.

And it didn't help that DK's Final Smash is, some say, the worst aesthetically of the bunch(next to Peach in my book)

People take alot of pride in picking characters that not only appeal to their visual taste, but in some way personify them. I guess DK's just incompatible for most people when looking at the competition.. he is too humble.

Primetime84

Smash Cadet
Yea I like DK, but yes it's true he's super plain and frankly there really isn't anyway to update......a video game character like DK. Atleast Mario and Co. get put into new settings, with new characters and new weapons and moves sets. DK on the other hand will always have to be in a jungle, with jungle stuff. Nobody cares about jungle things and animals anymore it's all about super flashy super high tech anime fighters or realistic war games.

When you mentioned how people identify with characters I totally feel like I am a human version of G&W haha. But yes there are people out there who like to use DK in Smash Bros......hopefully.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dont worry DK, I still love you!

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Rip me apart all you want, they don't make my words any less true.

Unless you can prove to me that DK is as popular or more popular than any of the other current heavy characters, as far as the Smash community is concerned..?

It's not that I don't like DK. I love using green-fur DK. But as I said, I doubt that anyone really dislikes DK.. they just don't like him as much as they do other characters.

eggs-on-toast

Smash Apprentice
Well you have a point he is probaly the plainest character but i like him for the fact that to be good you have to have guts in mu poion. As in you have no projectilles but a decent reach and when you learn how to use him well you get a great character. I love DK and everyhing related, DKC, DK64 even Diddy. I use DK and sometimes diddy in everygame i can and plan to continue that. But I guess i like DK because he isn't popular lol also he isn't an anime warrior with a sword because for me link is good enough. Also my friends who i play Smash with used Link and Falco, two charaters i hate (i like fox and the look of wolf just dislike falco becasue of lylat wars)

I see smash as a chance to see geat videogame characters fight and be good with characters I like not "whos top tier" like I know somepeople do

And let's face it, like in all most of my DK posts there's a simple formula for his coolness
Gorilla + Tie = OWNAGE

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
he is not m main but i like dk :@@@... he was the char i used to unlock ness on smash 64... see how hard it was for a 9 year old to beat normal classic with 3 stocks -.-

well its truth, sadly, sakurai hasnt made a big deal of him since forever

SothE700k

Smash Lord
...what honor? To eat banannas and go showing his "back" to everyone? Yeah, real honor. Pfft

Just kiddin =D

P.S. Aw wtf, there goes the smoke detector for the 30th time now....

Top Bottom