• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Djc 24/7?

ye25

Smash Journeyman
So i recently started Yoshi (yesterday) and i read up on the Yoshi guide and learned all these techniques that make a viable Yoshi. One of these are DJC which brings me to ask my question. Does every attack that Yoshi does in air have to be from a DJC or are there any times when he can just SH to something instead and when?

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Short hopping a bair with no fast fall will have the bair end before you land, giving minimal landing lag. Short hopping a dair could be useful to whittle down a shield or something. Short hop uair can give another free uair (or any other aerial) immediately by using your double jump.

Try not to spam djc fairs, as the startup lag often leaves your jump easily gimpable. Common moves to djc almost all of the time are nair and uair. Bair looks cool djc'd, but its often useless. (and hard to do!) dair just can't startup before Yoshi touches the ground.

This thread just reminds me of how awesome all of Yoshi's aerials are.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Would the c stick be more viable to use for his aerials or is there just not enough time to get your hand from x/y to the c stick?

bigman40

Smash Master
there's enough time to get your hand to the c-stick. C-stick can be alot more easy for techniques that make the control stick + A button hard. It depends on you though.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Try out all the options and see what suits you best. My guide was intended to make common knowledge the techniques, not the playstyle which has to come from the player.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
A button is closer from the jump buttons so probably easier if your just learning DJC (at least for me it is like second nature now). Only times I use the C-stick for aerials if I want to do a dair and dont want the risk of fastfalling, e.g. edgeguarding and not die by the fastfall.

Like Bloshi said nair and uair are the most awesome to DJC. DJC'd uairs for juggling and nairs for alot of different stuff, like techchasing, punishing an approach by RDJCing it, shieldpressure (DJC'd nair -> jab - > dsmash/grab works particularly well imo). I dont use the dair much, but it's mostly used for edgeguarding and coming from very high up and surprising the opponent by suddenly fastfalling a dair. Full hop DJC'd bair when your not facing the opponent looks really weird/flashy. Its pretty hard to land, but also has its follow ups, like angled ftilt/fsmash. SH bair is the preferred one though. On characters like bowser, dk, ganon, roy, you have yourself a killer combo by just doing a SH bair to DJC'd uairs (to FH fair -> dsmash/techchase for 0-death xD). And like Bloshi said be very carefull with your DJC'd fairs. Ive been gimped by Marths plenty of times in the past by playing too agressive, as they can easily gimp you if they see this coming.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Im having trouble with the DJC uair, ive watched some vids of some yoshi's (fumi) and when he DJC he hits the ground so soon. My DJC uair kinda just hangs in the air, any suggestions?

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
You probably hit your uair too late after the DJ. If you hit it right after the DJ your Yoshi should fall pretty fast. Its all about the timing and as you practise it you will get faster at this move.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
It's possible to djc an uair extremely quickly by uairing as soon as you djc. Doing it at its max speed is actually quite hard to pull of. I can only djc uair at close to max speed consistently, which works for any combos you need to pull off against fast fallers, but max speed is just so **** flashy!

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
easy way to DJC uairs-> hit up on the joystick, immediately press a jump button, slide your finger from the jump button to a asap

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
For a DJC Uair what I do is press up on the stick and X close to the same time, to give a double click sound. Immediately after pressing x, I press A while still holding up on the control stick, and there you go, instant DJC Uair in record time. I can chain these together easily and it's my method for juggles, otherwise I usually never mess with the control stick unless it's a dash canceled Up/Down smash.

Top Bottom