• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
"A new Donkey Kong experience," as alluded to by Reggie, is sure to be at least revealed by February 2020, when the theme park and its DK section also will be closer to completion.

Though, who knows, better watch out in case Gnawty becomes a contender.
Klaptrap is more deserving.

Although Gnawty might be as close to Banjo and Kazooie as we will ever get.

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
Disappointing direct for sure, BUT Dixie is confirmed as NOT being in Diddy's final smash and NOT being an assist trophy! Honestly that's very good news. It doesn't matter that she's a spirit, everyone is a freakin' spirit.

We can get Dixie 1 of those 5 spots!!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
With everyone talking about DLC now Dixie seems to be cropping up on a lot of peoples lists. Kinda like half and those that she's not is people that are going full 3rd party. So at least people don't think shes completely out of the race yet or is still in with a chance/has merit of being DLC.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I still personally feel that being a Spirit drops Dixie's chances down badly, unless we find more playable characters as Spirits themselves which aren't alter egos or alternative versions of a character. As far as I know too, the promotions for trophied characters only applied to Veterans, so I feel it'd be better of treating Dixie among other Spirited characters as such unless she might actually happen as DLC.

Still, it's quite interesting how she wasn't still used on anything with Diddy Kong... if only the implications about being a Spirit didn't make me now feel as pessimistic to her...

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
With everyone talking about DLC now Dixie seems to be cropping up on a lot of peoples lists. Kinda like half and those that she's not is people that are going full 3rd party. So at least people don't think shes completely out of the race yet or is still in with a chance/has merit of being DLC.
It's expected, literally 90% of the other popular choices are dead now or de-confirmed. Even current franchises like ARMS and Xenoblade 2.

Dixie is one of the few besides maybe Geno who survived this direct unscathed. I also don't think Bandana Dee would be a DLC choice, before anyone asks. All she's competing with is third parties, and maybe a new Gen 8 Pokemon.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
The scary thing about the DLC is that truly, anything goes now. Piranha Plant has broken the rules (if there really were any to begin with) far beyond comprehension, and this most certainly opens the door for other potential "generic baddies" to be chosen. Not hating on Piranha Plant or anything (actually think its move-set is interesting), it's just that this is the situation we're looking at now. EVERYONE has to be considered for those 5 slots now, no matter how insignificant they may seem.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The scary thing about the DLC is that truly, anything goes now. Piranha Plant has broken the rules far beyond comprehension, and this most certainly opens the door for other potential "generic baddies" to be chosen. Not hating on Piranha Plant or anything (actually think its move-set is interesting), it's just that this is the situation we're looking at now. EVERYONE has to be considered for those 5 slots now, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
Well, since limitations are broken, people will be getting probably overwhelmed by what can come and go, so they rather stick to ones that do sound safe or plausible enough to them. But again, I'm not too sure how that might go on over the time...

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
The scary thing about the DLC is that truly, anything goes now. Piranha Plant has broken the rules (if there really were any to begin with) far beyond comprehension, and this most certainly opens the door for other potential "generic baddies" to be chosen. Not hating on Piranha Plant or anything (actually think its move-set is interesting), it's just that this is the situation we're looking at now. EVERYONE has to be considered for those 5 slots now, no matter how insignificant they may seem.
That's exactly it.

I think they might adopt this philosophy for DLC: " we won't give you what you want, but what you don't know you want".
A bit like SF5.
Well I expect a mixed of popular requests, Third party, and WTF characters like Piranha.

But they kind of shot themselves in the foot by making so many of the fans favorites AT.
Well lests just hope spirits can be DLC.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Seeing her in the Spirits introduction definitely made me a little disappointed.

But hey, as long as she's not an AT, or in Diddy's FS, there's always a chance for DLC. Here's hoping.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
ok heres my hot take: piranha plant is not necessarily representative of what you can expect with dlc. he's not one of the "designated DLC slots" they showed off and he's also available for free

he's also clearly designed to be this game's "surprise" character in the same vein as wii fit trainer or rob

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
ok heres my hot take: piranha plant is not necessarily representative of what you can expect with dlc. he's not one of the "designated DLC slots" they showed off and he's also available for free

he's also clearly designed to be this game's "surprise" character in the same vein as wii fit trainer or rob
Pretty much. He was introduced after his "trailer" with a "!?" to show massive surprise. I'm willing to bet that Piranha Plant is an enjoyable, hilarious exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Just watched the direct, and I’m sad I won’t be able to get piranha plant unless he eventually becomes a paid dlc, because I doubt I’ll be able to preorder this. Also, happy we still have a shot, but 5 dlc characters still sounds pathetic, especially compared to the previous game. Luckily enough, spring man and Rex are out, which gives Shantae and Dixie some high chances at it. But honestly, this game might not even be worth picking up, considering events are gone, no target smash, and some really **** version of all star exists now. What the **** Sakurai? Why aren’t there any damn non versus modes to enjoy? No wonder game mode leaks don’t exist, there were never any game modes to reveal in the first place. The last 2 newcomers are lacking, and R.I.P. Isaac and Shadow fans of the world. Sorry, guess I’m just triggered from expecting a bit more for a FINAL direct.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^its actually a bonus for registering the game with my nintendo, so you dont need to preorder to get it

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
^its actually a bonus for registering the game with my nintendo, so you dont need to preorder to get it
Ok, but I’m still triggered by the rest of that direct regardless. The entire Isaac fan base must be seething with rage right about now (r.i.p. to them), but luckily we still have a chance

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I didn't see any playable characters among the sticke...ehm, the spirits (considering k rool because there is a stick...ehm, a spirit of kaptain k rool would be a huge stretching), so as reguarding me and my hopes, Dixie died today

those 5 dlcs likely will be something like bandana dee and 4 third parties, the absolute disappointment for me

ps: I have to say also that there could be another possibility: maybe they showed us several dlcs characters among the stickers on purpose (Dixie, Chorus Kids...)
but it's almost the same concept of saying "well, maybe Waluigi will be promoted in a playable fighter!!!", a thought that is clearly completely delusional and so doesn't deserve any attention. THe very last hope is that we will find, in the game at launch, stickers of playable characters (and not alternate versions of them, of course)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still personally feel that being a Spirit drops Dixie's chances down badly, unless we find more playable characters as Spirits themselves which aren't alter egos or alternative versions of a character. As far as I know too, the promotions for trophied characters only applied to Veterans, so I feel it'd be better of treating Dixie among other Spirited characters as such unless she might actually happen as DLC.

Still, it's quite interesting how she wasn't still used on anything with Diddy Kong... if only the implications about being a Spirit didn't make me now feel as pessimistic to her...

I don't see how it does, Mewtwo and Lucas having trophies in smash 4 didn't stop them from being DLC characters so why would Dixie being a glorified sticker make a difference? Besides, if she wasn't one then people would get suspicious about it.

If being a spirit deconfirms a character then that pretty much means every first party character is deconfirmed

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
mmm, I'm reading online that also male WFT and King (?) K Rool are stickers..? ok, that's interesting

so, if being spirits doesn't deconfirm characters, who are the most likely dlc in your opinion? I hope at least 3 of them will be Nintendo characters

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It's okay, guys. Dixie Kong will not be playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. And that's okay.

The game looks super fun. Granted, Spirits Mode looks a little mobile game-ish, and I'm concerned about Stage Builder, plus the removal of trophies is devastating...but darn it, this looks like a really fun game and I can't wait to play it, pink monkey or no.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't see how it does, Mewtwo and Lucas having trophies in smash 4 didn't stop them from being DLC characters so why would Dixie being a glorified sticker make a difference?
I mentioned it already before, but what a lot of people are overlooking around here that made Lucas and Mewtwo become "promoted", was that they were already veterans from last games before. They used to be playable.

With Dixie or other characters now as Spirits, applying this possible theory on them also not being shown in Smash Ultimate at large as NPC would imply these characters could also be allowed to be promoted.

The only best idea I can think on seeing if Dixie's really feeling feasible for DLC after this is that we find Spirits that are basically like the playable fighters themselves first - so far you could say Kaptain K.Rool or Male Wii Fit Trainer would count, but these are just alter egos or alts of the main fighters, depending if the Story mode will mainly have you play as the default characters in the roster instead of Alts.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Let’s be honest: it would be really weird for Dixie not to have a spirit given she is a main character of one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises, regardless of whether she’s dlc or not.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
"A new Donkey Kong experience," as alluded to by Reggie, is sure to be at least revealed by February 2020, when the theme park and its DK section also will be closer to completion.

Though, who knows, better watch out in case Gnawty becomes a contender.
With Beaver Bother as his/her final smash

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
With Beaver Bother as his/her final smash
Now I'm trying to picture Beaver Bother as a Final Smash, and picturing some angry Smash player who wasn't christened with the true meaning of Satan in min-game form not understanding why they can't actually herd the other players into the nonexistent hole screaming at the screen.

"0/3 players lured!

Weeeeeelllll dooooonnneee!"

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish Sakurai would've padded out some easy echoes as DLC in between the 5 major releases. This one character every 3 months is gonna be rough...granted Smash Ultimate is PACKED with content already and 2019 on Switch from a 1st party perspective will definitely keep me busy and help pass the time quicker in between new character releases. But I'm sorry I'm not buying the season pass until I know what I'm getting because I fear all the DLC characters are gonna be 3rd party just based off of pricing. Wasn't it $4.99 for 1st party DLC characters for Wii U/3DS and $5.99 for 3rd party? It's been awhile maybe I'm mistaken but the fact that they each come with a stage as well as music really makes me feel we're just gonna get a bunch of 3rd parties which obviously doesn't bode well for Dixie.

We saw Shantae in Spirits mode so Sakurai has obviously been in contact with Wayforward, Rabbid Peach is there so we know Sakurai has been talking with Ubisoft. My predictions for the 5 DLC characters are: Rayman, Shantae, Geno, another Capcom rep like a Resident Evil character, another Namco rep. Like I said the idea I'm basing this on is lousy but I just have a feeling we may not see any 1st party characters. I'd LOVE to be wrong and of course I'm still on the Dixie train but man I've said it before I can't stand 3rd parties in Smash so if the DLC is what I fear it will be I'll probably just skip out on it entirely that being said I'd rather have any 3rd party character over another Piranha Plant type character...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Maybe this should be a character. We need a more hardcore DK villain in Smash that is actually responsible for making DK fans cry.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
the third-party reps were $5.99 in smash 4 likely because they all came with a stage and music. i dont think its unreasonable to think first parties could get the same treatment.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hiya.

Just stopping by to say my piece: I don't think Spirits are in any way indicative of whether or not a character can be DLC. It's literally just recycled art. Less than trophies, even. Nothing stopping them from deciding on a character for DLC and also throwing in a jpg of them in the base game.

With that said, I think Dixie has a pretty good shot at DLC. I can totally see a scenario in which K. Rool was added to the base roster in response to Ballot demand while Dixie is saved for post-release DLC.

I support you guys. Let's round out the DK roster. :b:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I just realized. Everything I said about Toad not being able to be playable in Smash has been completely rendered obsolete by Sakurai with the addition of Piranha Plant. I'm sorry Toad fans.

About Dixie, I'm unsure of her chances now. Each character will have a stage, and I doubt she would come with her own.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I could definitely see Dixie being added as DLC. Would kill 2 birds with 1 stone because DK could definitely benefit from a new, unique stage.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I propose we make an alliance with the Banjo Kazooie and Geno support threads, seem like a good idea?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Just dropping by to say

I still root for Dixie Kong as DLC. Yes, I would use one of the 5 DLC packs for her if I could. Still an ally.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whelp. I guess Dixie's one of my most wanted characters for DLC now. Was quietly pulling for her, especially after K. Rool's addition, but didn't want to get in to the unique vs echo fighter debate. At least if she's DLC, we won't have to worry about being the latter now, and I don't think someone being a spirit dooms them that much like being an AT would, but well, whatever happens, I support her now more than ever as one of the last profilic 1st parties (for me at least) that has still yet to be added...

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Yeah, new big three banding together to all get a slot, I like that idea.
Birthnote would have to decide, they would know whether it’s a good idea or maybe not now, as I have only been on this site a few months hehe.

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I suppose there's no point in social media campaigning now.
I'll leave it up to you all, but I sorta disagree. Mii Fighter costumes didn't stop the K Rool Kampaign. Again, we don't know if round 2 DLC will come around or not. I still say we try to be a vocal as possible. Even if it means she gets into the next game :urg:

I'm almost pushing 30 years old so I'm not sure if I'd have as much time for the next Smash when or if it comes out but if I could one day see my future kid maining Dixie or just play a smash game with Dixie included it would totally be worth it. Sorry for the out of left field ramble. lol

Last edited:

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
I bet DLC will be 5 third parties. As much as it sucks I don't think Dixie is getting into ultimate.

Top Bottom