• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funny story that I never shared when I was talking about my first memories of Dixie Kong and DKC2. When the game released, I was 5 or so, and I remember thinking Dixie was cute and having a crush on her. I shared that much before.

What I forgot to share was that I got angry and jealous when I was informed that she was Diddy's girlfriend. I never beat DKC2 at that age, partially because I was young and i sucked at it.

...And partially because, from that moment on, I started having Dixie throw Diddy off the ledge to his death every chance I got, meaning I ended up attempting every level solo Dixie. True story. Poor Diddy.
I did the same as a kid, played through DKC1 and DKC2 as solo Diddy.

Might be the wrong thread to say it, but in DKC, Dixie Kong = Easy Mode.

I still appriciate the character however! You casuals obviously need her. :smirk:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
She fought him 4 times if you count the Land games. ;)

We shouldn’t be concerned with playing catch up with other series IMO. Dixie is the last core DK character not in Smash.
Its not about playing catch up, I'm just saying I wouldn't call it perfect representation. Great representation, but considering how many the other big franchises have DK would really need at least 5 to call it perfect representation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I said this yesterday in the 'Official' thread.

Speaking of Dixie, and being a Echo... yes it would suck for her to become one. Yet am confident that with a new game, she would be one of the first characters to be fixed. And seeing how K.Rool made it in, I couldn't complain about Echo Dixie Kong. Especially since Chrom seems to imply there's more to them than being like Dark Pit.

As a Echo, Dixie can still be unique if they managed to tag other character's mechanics unto her. For example DK's Cargo throw mechanics, and a similar concept to Peach's float. Now make Dixie a little slower, lighter and overall weaker than Diddy, and she's essentially already far more unique than all the other Echoes, and a few non-Echo clones as Dr.Mario, Young Link and Pichu.

Dixie has such potential, that even whilst being a Echo, she could feel like a semi-clone.

Situation is FAR FROM IDEAL... and we have a way better potential DKC Echo Fighter with Funky Kong, but I would gladly take it. Need I remind you? King K.Rool is in Smash Bros. now. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Ideally, she would be a new semi-clone addition much to the akin of Lucas or Wolf. But with this in mind, she could easily be more unique than even Toon Link compared to BotW Link.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OK so I noticed that one series gets 2 unique newcomers in each game. I could see that happening with Pokemon or DK; are there any other series that could get this treatment?

Mario, Starfox, Metroid, F-Zero, Punch Out, Wii Fit, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, MOTHER, G&W, Kirby, Kid Icarus and Yoshi seem to be done. However some of those have a chance of getting 1 extra newcomer that may be an Echo or completely unique, but many seem to have 1 character going for them. Any thoughts? What other series besides DK and Pokemon have a reasonable shot of 2 Uniques in this Smash?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
OK so I noticed that one series gets 2 unique newcomers in each game. I could see that happening with Pokemon or DK; are there any other series that could get this treatment?

Mario, Starfox, Metroid, F-Zero, Punch Out, Wii Fit, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, MOTHER, G&W, Kirby, Kid Icarus and Yoshi seem to be done. However some of those have a chance of getting 1 extra newcomer that may be an Echo or completely unique, but many seem to have 1 character going for them. Any thoughts? What other series besides DK and Pokemon have a reasonable shot of 2 Uniques in this Smash?
The Legend of Zelda.

Skull Kid, who would be unique. And Impa, a potential Echo of Sheik.

They also have been shafted pretty badly ever since Brawl, and are a even bigger franchise than us. I think it's highly likely they'll get some love thrown at them this time.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman

I still appriciate the character however! You casuals obviously need her. :smirk:
Me and a friend of mine mostly used Dixie the first time we played through DKC2 but after getting better at the game I found its easier to play as Diddy since he moves faster. There is only a couple of points where its more beneficial to play as Dixie.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The Legend of Zelda.

Skull Kid, who would be unique. And Impa, a potential Echo of Sheik.

They also have been shafted pretty badly ever since Brawl, and are a even bigger franchise than us. I think it's highly likely they'll get some love thrown at them this time.
Yea I know Skull Kid is prominent and I'm sure he'd be unique, but from my glances at the Impa thread people are rooting for Echo or Semi Clone. I'm trying to guess which series stand a chance for 2 Uniques, as I'm confident a few series will get at least one or an Echo.

Not throwing Impa under the bus or anything.

StormC

Smash Hero
I can’t see any series getting two uniques in the base game when we likely have <10 newcomers, but it’s possible with DLC.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I hope to goodness Dixie is not overlooked. I'll still feel like Sakurai doesn't give the DK franchise it's due.

Remember DK is also losing two levels, the DKCR stage from Smash U isn't returning so far, and the Jungle Beat level from Brawl didn't return either. We only have 3 DK levels in Smash Ultimate which is absurd.

Maybe Dixie can debut a Tropical Freeze level.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yea I know Skull Kid is prominent and I'm sure he'd be unique, but from my glances at the Impa thread people are rooting for Echo or Semi Clone. I'm trying to guess which series stand a chance for 2 Uniques, as I'm confident a few series will get at least one or an Echo.

Not throwing Impa under the bus or anything.
Honestly, it's our best bet. Also what StormC said under your post, the potential for unique newcomers is just not as great as in other Smash games. Impa is a character who critics often dismiss as "too similar to Sheik", so we kinda use that to our advantage now. She has the potential to be unique, just look at Hyrule Warriors, but we clamor for Echo because frankly.. it's about 90% sure that if she's in, Impa is gonna be a Sheik Echo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I can’t see any series getting two uniques in the base game when we likely have <10 newcomers, but it’s possible with DLC.
That's a VERY strong possibility. Main reason why I'm considering the 2 Uniques is because of the deconfirmations. On one hand, "not too many new characters" means don't get my hopes too high, but the question of who's left now makes me wonder if a series can get away with 2 Uniques.

StormC

Smash Hero
That's a VERY strong possibility. Main reason why I'm considering the 2 Uniques is because of the deconfirmations. On one hand, "not too many new characters" means don't get my hopes too high, but the question of who's left now makes me wonder if a series can get away with 2 Uniques.
If any series can it’s absolutely DK.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope to goodness Dixie is not overlooked. I'll still feel like Sakurai doesn't give the DK franchise it's due.

Remember DK is also losing two levels, the DKCR stage from Smash U isn't returning so far, and the Jungle Beat level from Brawl didn't return either. We only have 3 DK levels in Smash Ultimate which is absurd.

Am quite sure King K.Rool will bring a stage with him at the very least. And I also think that Jungle Hijinx gets "remixed" into a icey stage, referencing to Tropical Freeze whilst keeping the gimmicks of the Wii U version's stage. Am definitely NOT upset about losing the Jungle Beat stage however. Always felt that it should've been Bramble Scramble instead. That would make for a way better moving stage with obstacles.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I don't find this insulting. They seem to have a Difficulty Dynamic with the Kongs in DKCs, with Funky being Baby Mode, Dixie being Easy, Diddy being Normal, Cranky being Hard and DK being Expert since he has no abilities of his own. That's the dynamic in DKCTF, but in the games where there's 2 Kongs and she's playable, she's the easier one to use.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't think it's impossible, especially since as far as popularity is concerned Dixie stands pretty damn well on her own even though she's been kind of in K Rool's shadow in that regard for a while

StormC

Smash Hero
Am quite sure King K.Rool will bring a stage with him at the very least. And I also think that Jungle Hijinx gets "remixed" into a icey stage, referencing to Tropical Freeze whilst keeping the gimmicks of the Wii U version's stage. Am definitely NOT upset about losing the Jungle Beat stage however. Always felt that it should've been Bramble Scramble instead. That would make for a way better moving stage with obstacles.
I don't see K. Rool bringing a stage with him. They would have shown it in his trailer. Characters themselves rarely get stages. Ridley didn't either.

If Bowser still doesn't have his castle as its own stage after 20 years, I wouldn't expect K. Rool to get one anytime soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't see K. Rool bringing a stage with him. They would have shown it in his trailer. Characters themselves rarely get stages. Ridley didn't either.

If Bowser still doesn't have his castle as its own stage after 20 years, I wouldn't expect K. Rool to get one anytime soon.
Errr.. yeah that's probably right.

Still, Sakurai hasn't really said a word about K.Rool's inclusion yet, like he did with all other newcomers. So there's a chance with that. Plus I think Dixie will be revealed whenever Sakurai goes into detail about K.Rool.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
If Donkey Kong actually does get a new stage it will 100% be a Tropical Freeze one. I've always wanted a DKC2 stage because I love that game but it's never happening at this point.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
I'll just go ahead and add myself to this here handy dandy support thread. Diddy's always been the role of bodyguard in my DKC2 playthroughs to take the first hit because Dixie felt more useful to me in that game, even moreso in DKC3. I'd like to see her introduced, but I'm not sure about being a Diddy echo due to her hairspin being such a relevant part of her character. Semi-clone, I could see.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
If that leak is true I'd be so darn happy! Yoshi would drop to my secondary in favor of Dixie being my main and Banjo would be my backup character. Solo maining Yoshi has taken years off of my life due to stress but if this leak is true then those days are over!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Well let's not get it twisted he did us a favor by removing that stage. If he had brought it back it definitely wouldn't have been the Ultimate Smash anymore. ;) That stage SUCKED. Not to mention it's based off of Jungle Beat a very forgettable DK game to the masses (even if I enjoy the Wii version of that game).

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

I play Diddy and enjoy him.

I just don't like picking the inferior option if I have a choice. I won't judge you just because you do though.

;)

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
That leak seems very very very very very fake to me whatever they say, no surprises or WTF entry, also A LOT of characters following fan-service, even Magolor could be hinted with that japan fandom non-official ballot.
Richter leaks appearing after Richter, I can't buy it.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I have been catching up with this thread since I've been a little busy in the past few days. Of course reading the echo vs. unique debate caught my eye. I really hope Dixie will be unique or the Luigi/Falco semi-clone. If she is an echo, then I can be okay with that. Whatever happens, happens. I'll be glad that Dixie gets her rightful place in Smash as a Nintendo All-Star.

So when Dixie Kong is announced which DK character will you support next? For me, I would love Lanky Kong to be in, although far more likely I would love if Cranky would be in also.
I would support Funky next though I like to see Cranky, Chunky, and Lanky. Having Dixie in would complete the main DKC core cast and the rest like everyone says would be the icing on the cake.

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet
I know it’s silly, but I find it so frustrating that barely any of the (fake) leaks have Dixie in them :dizzy:

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
I know it’s silly, but I find it so frustrating that barely any of the (fake) leaks have Dixie in them :dizzy:
I feel the same way. I know that most if not all of the leaks are gonna be fake, but I can't help but feel worried about seeing so many without her.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I feel the same way. I know that most if not all of the leaks are gonna be fake, but I can't help but feel worried about seeing so many without her.
I have noticed that too but it seems like past leaks before the recent direct had Dixie on them but more recent ones post direct do not. My best guess are outsiders that think K. Rool getting in automatically "disqualified" Dixie for some reason.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Honestly, it's our best bet. Also what StormC said under your post, the potential for unique newcomers is just not as great as in other Smash games. Impa is a character who critics often dismiss as "too similar to Sheik", so we kinda use that to our advantage now. She has the potential to be unique, just look at Hyrule Warriors, but we clamor for Echo because frankly.. it's about 90% sure that if she's in, Impa is gonna be a Sheik Echo.
I see. In that case I'm not sure LoZ is a candidate for 2 Uniques, unless there's another potential newcomer we may have missed?

So far, I can see Pokemon managing to get 2 because it's more than big enough to get away with it. Basically Super Mario had the same thing going for it in the previous games. With Donkey Kong's expanded focus this time I can also see them getting 2 Uniques, but that hinges heavily on who's left, who else can get this treatment, roster size and resources. Though I could be completely wrong...

So far I've deduced Pokemon and Donkey Kong are potential candidates. Any other series?

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I can see Pokemon getting 2 uniques but definitely not at base game. We could get Incineroar or another Gen 7 at base game and a Gen 8 down the road as DLC. I don't think any series will have 2 unique characters base game. The selection is just too exclusive right now.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I highly, highly doubt that developers look at characters with the idea of "reps per series" in mind. That is, for instance, K. Rool and Dixie Kong were both looked at and analyzed separately and independently, without the inclusion of one of them affecting the chances of the other. Yes, the number of characters is limited and it is likely that potential newcomers get prioritized, but only as a whole and not in a "per series" manner. Regardless of K. Rool's priority in the newcomer roster, he was not added to fill the "1 DK rep" quota, or was not chosen over Dixie.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I was just playing World 1 of TF and Busted Bayou is so great looking. It really makes me want a silhouette stage.

Speaking of great looking levels, I just wanna bring up Zip Line Shrine cause that seems criminally underrated. The temple aesthetic could be a cool stage as well since Returns and TF really put a focus on them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

The Wah ought to get at least 2. :ultwario:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I play Diddy and enjoy him.

I just don't like picking the inferior option if I have a choice. I won't judge you just because you do though.

;)
Inferior? You can pretty much roll jump to make most distances you Easy Mode endorsers do with Helicopter Spin. Plus Diddy climbs, runs and swims a bit faster than Dixie. And cartwheel > hair spin as well.

It's why Diddy is the choice of the speed runners of DKC. Aka people who know how to play the game.

I like her best in DKC3 tho which is a far more slow paced game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I was just playing World 1 of TF and Busted Bayou is so great looking. It really makes me want a silhouette stage.

Speaking of great looking levels, I just wanna bring up Zip Line Shrine cause that seems criminally underrated. The temple aesthetic could be a cool stage as well since Returns and TF really put a focus on them.
The silhouette stage idea sounds cool but would probably just be frustrating in practice tbh

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Inferior? You can pretty much roll jump to make most distances you Easy Mode endorsers do with Helicopter Spin. Plus Diddy climbs, runs and swims a bit faster than Dixie. And cartwheel > hair spin as well.

It's why Diddy is the choice of the speed runners of DKC. Aka people who know how to play the game.

I like her best in DKC3 tho which is a far more slow paced game.
People seriously underestimate the usefulness of the cartwheel for some reason

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
so i had a dream during the night that dixie was in smash and her neutral B was a hair dryer. similar to diddy's popgun but it shot out hot air. i know she never uses a hair dryer anywhere but it kinda makes sense for her to have one and i thought it was a surprisingly not-bad idea considering it came from a dream. aside from the fact that it was basically the gust bellows and thats not a controversial item at all

idk

Top Bottom