• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
In the sense that we want Nintendo to love DK's big happy family, it's good that Dixie and the others appear in Mario Kart Bankruptcy.
Of course, you'll have to pay a small fee of several hundred dollars during the right month if you actually want to unite the big happy family.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm the type that doesn't give a **** about the tier list, but if Dixie got in where do y'all think she would be? I think she would be just as good or better than Diddy due to her floatyness with her hair and being just as fast. I think Dixie would become the queen of the competitive scene.
She could be yeah. Mostly I think she will statistically be around Diddy's level, which bodes good for her. She might be a bit slower and floatier however. Good grab range, powerful throws, which is always good to have. I could see her end up with a kill throw.

She probably would have good combo potential, great recovery, above average aerial game, and good grabs. Trying to think of her being a sort of mix between the play styles of Diddy and Zero Suit Samus honestly. Minus the tether of course. But that's what I think she'll end up as.

To make the comparison easier, compare Diddy to Young Link, and Dixie to Toon Link. One is high risk, high reward, other plays more safe and slow, but has way less risk involved. I see Diddy and Dixie take this even further. Dixie would share some basic Diddy gameplan as wait and bait, doing the hit and run stuff, but Dixie would specialize in going for grabs as punishes instead of Diddy going for combo starters.

In the end, I doubt she will have the speed and power of Diddy, or his monster neutral game, but make it up for her great recovery and grabs instead.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dixie having alts referencing the extended Kong family would be a nice touch; pear green for Wrinkly, azure blue for Swanky, white for Funky, orange fur for Lanky, baby blue for Tiny.

Include those along with her default pink, Diddy esque red, and DKC2/DKC3 competition mode purple, and you have a pretty solid set of colors.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night that a new DK was leaked in a magazine. The Kremlings were back, and they had this really cool medieval armor equipped. K. Rool looked mostly the same as he does in Smash, only a bit larger. His crown was larger as well. There was a new item called the Kiddy Kong Bell. It worked like Peach's B special: ding the bell and Kiddy Kong would magically appear to be used as a counter shield. From what I could surmise from the images, the game looked like a beat-em up like Streets of Rage.

I then had a lucid nightmare I was in darkly lit, moderately damaged cabin. The window in front of me framed an empty desert during the day. A familiar someone in the next room behind me was screaming in pain. I haven't had the heart to look behind me. I then glanced at the palm of my hand, and found out I had reality in my grasp. In what felt like a desperate attempt to break away from my present troubles, I slammed it hard on the kitchen counter which caused me to lose my balance. I woke up, and while the dream felt real and unique, all I can think about is "Man, I can't wait for that new Donkey Kong game to come out."

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Given that Mario Kart Tour's central mechanic is bilking money out of the proverbial marks willing to shell out cash for the slight chance of reward, its kind of surprising that Swanky Kong hasn't made it in yet.
I am sorry. I simply must reply to this!

I have an uncommon fascination with Swanky-- particularly the prospect (be it unfounded) of a Smash Bros. playable appearance. I even made a support thread for him, but I do not think it would catch on very well until almost every other Kong is used.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I could see Funky happening along with Dixie, but I think that's the possible max we're ever going to get in the case of DK characters in Smash.

Cranky is also a possibility, and maybe even oddballs not even part of the main DK(C) cast as Pauline and DK Jr. Pauline probably also could be considered a Mario newcomer at this point.

If they wanna pull a :ultpiranha:-styled character for DKC, I think Rambi has the best shot.

Honesty, am just happy K.Rool made it in. Sure, no Dixie, but we got the big boi in at least. Dixie's absence made me painfully realize that you can't take a character's inclusion for granted, ever. We where too silent for her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I could see Funky happening along with Dixie, but I think that's the possible max we're ever going to get in the case of DK characters in Smash.

Cranky is also a possibility, and maybe even oddballs not even part of the main DK(C) cast as Pauline and DK Jr. Pauline probably also could be considered a Mario newcomer at this point.

If they wanna pull a :ultpiranha:-styled character for DKC, I think Rambi has the best shot.

Honesty, am just happy K.Rool made it in. Sure, no Dixie, but we got the big boi in at least. Dixie's absence made me painfully realize that you can't take a character's inclusion for granted, ever. We where too silent for her.
I still think Dixie did better in the Smash Ballot than Dark Samus and the other Echos except for maybe Daisy. But Sakurai didn't put her in as a Echo because he might have thought of her as more important or unique wanting to make her into a full unique fighter at sone point. In terms of DKC's character representation in the roster, DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky and Funky would make it complete and would be enough to satisfied me forever. But while I would also want Lanky too, Dixie, Cranky and Funky are the only Kongs left we really need in the game.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
So... Would you guys like to see them make a main Kremling cast like Rare did for the Kongs? I'm talking about a Kremling family. That would be cool.
Do you mean 'shoe-on-the-other-foot' style? If so, I would enjoy it. Cast K. Rool as the protagonist, Klump or Krusha as the partner, and bring map assistance from Kudgel (trading places with Klubba), Kalypso, and perhaps some new faces. "Would gameplay be the same, similar, or different?" is my question.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Do you mean 'shoe-on-the-other-foot' style? If so, I would enjoy it. Cast K. Rool as the protagonist, Klump or Krusha as the partner, and bring map assistance from Kudgel (trading places with Klubba), Kalypso, and perhaps some new faces. "Would gameplay be the same, similar, or different?" is my question.
That or just them still being the bad guys but having a main Kremling family or group. I would love to see Kudgel return and be part of that group.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Dixie did better in the Smash Ballot than Dark Samus and the other Echos except for maybe Daisy. But Sakurai didn't put her in as a Echo because he might have thought of her as more important or unique wanting to make her into a full unique fighter at sone point. In terms of DKC's character representation in the roster, DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky and Funky would make it complete and would be enough to satisfied me forever. But while I would also want Lanky too, Dixie, Cranky and Funky are the only Kongs left we really need in the game.
Am pretty sure there are more characters who did better than both Dark Samus and Daisy on the ballot. Daisy did have some big support however, so am not sure. I think K.Rool kind of took all the attention from all the DKC fans worldwide. Same situation with Diddy and Brawl, we just focused on whoever we found most worthy.

Dark Samus might've got a lot of traction at one time because Ridley was deemed out. Ironically, her Assist Trophy in Smash 4 did a better job of representing the abilities of Dark Samus than her Ultimate Echo incarnation. This is from a guy who didn't even play the Prime games she was in.

Ken and Richter are curious cases for Echoes. Chrom got a lot of attention being outrightly denied for Smash 4, and Awakening being sort of the OoT for Fire Emblem, thus very popular.

I agree with your list of Kongs who should make it in Smash however.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Am pretty sure there are more characters who did better than both Dark Samus and Daisy on the ballot. Daisy did have some big support however, so am not sure. I think K.Rool kind of took all the attention from all the DKC fans worldwide. Same situation with Diddy and Brawl, we just focused on whoever we found most worthy.

Dark Samus might've got a lot of traction at one time because Ridley was deemed out. Ironically, her Assist Trophy in Smash 4 did a better job of representing the abilities of Dark Samus than her Ultimate Echo incarnation. This is from a guy who didn't even play the Prime games she was in.

Ken and Richter are curious cases for Echoes. Chrom got a lot of attention being outrightly denied for Smash 4, and Awakening being sort of the OoT for Fire Emblem, thus very popular.

I agree with your list of Kongs who should make it in Smash however.
Sakurai said Ridley got in because of the Smash Ballot so I think that kind of shows there could have been a lot of DKC fans that voted for Dixie as well instead of K. Rool since there was a lot of Metroid fans who voted for Ridley or Dark Samus.

So is the Klaptrap the baby of the family?
Yep.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If the rumors are true, and DK will get (yet another) grand revival, Dixie is one of the safest bets for a new character. We said this with Smash 4, and Ultimate, but ended up being wrong. Same was said about Takamaru, twice. Pauline had some great following, same with Rex. I do think we've established ourselves as one of the biggest first party fanbases left. Maybe only topped by Isaac, which is obvious cause Golden Sun is also a neglected franchise of Nintendo with way too much potential to just be swept under the table.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
K. Rool would be a great addition to Mario Kart Tour, but let's also not forget the rest of the Kongs!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I agree with more Kongs in Mario Kart but I'd rather have Lanky or Chunky than Candy. I'd even take Kiddy tbh.

Candy Kong in general is long overdue for an design overhaul. Something about her current design just rubs me the wrong way...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So going by the theory that certain Metroid fans voted for Dark Samus in the Smash Ballot after seeing Ridley in Pyrosphere as a stage hazard in Smash 4 and thought he was deconfirmed, I wonder how many DKC fans abandoned K. Rool and voted for Dixie after seeing his Mii costume back in July of 2015. They stopped counting the votes in October that year, but I wonder how many DKC fans who didn't voted until after the K. Rool Mii costume voted for Dixie.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Looks like the Nintendo Ninjas took out some of the video at the end. He clearly was going to say Diddy and Dixie's KongQuest. :troll:

In all seriousness, they seem to tease Tooka Laylee and a spinoff starring Capitol B. It's also pretty cool they're in the publishing game to help other indies.

This article made me laugh btw. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/playtonic-might-be-teasing-a-banjo-kazooie-game/

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I agree with more Kongs in Mario Kart but I'd rather have Lanky or Chunky than Candy. I'd even take Kiddy tbh.

Candy Kong in general is long overdue for an design overhaul. Something about her current design just rubs me the wrong way...
I agree. It seems obvious what the designers had in mind with the appearance. In my opinion, there is reason to doubt they even cared about the development of Candy as an individual initially, and it is disturbing that she has human proportions when most of the cast look like they were designed with primates in mind, even though they are quite unrealistic themselves. Still, when I look at Donkey, Diddy, Funky, Lanky, Kiddy and even Cranky, and to a lesser extent, Dixie, I think of apes and other primates, but Candy... She always made me think of a human.

To me, that renders Candy a far less interesting (Though I would still like a playable appearance), and in my opinion, an obligatory inclusion within the series as a whole. However, it might be too late to 'squash' her down to gorilla (or whatever she may be) proportions. I prefer consistency to realism, since they have persisted for so long, but I am still bothered. I would not miss Candy if she were removed in the future.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If Capital B gets his own game, I hope it's something like Wario Land. Some people want a golf game, but I don't know if I'd be into that.

Candy is definitely my least favorite Kong. She was kind of funny and had a semi-passable design in DK64, though. I wouldn't mind her so much if they'd kept that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So going by the theory that certain Metroid fans voted for Dark Samus in the Smash Ballot after seeing Ridley in Pyrosphere as a stage hazard in Smash 4 and thought he was deconfirmed, I wonder how many DKC fans abandoned K. Rool and voted for Dixie after seeing his Mii costume back in July of 2015. They stopped counting the votes in October that year, but I wonder how many DKC fans who didn't voted until after the K. Rool Mii costume voted for Dixie.
Good question, and I think it correlates to each other, definitely. The K.Rool Mii costume was the result of the massive K.Rool demands on the ballot we all believe. There was a massive campaign backing K.Rool up, there where people who voted him despite even ever really been DKC fans, and know him from the Smash threads alone. I mean, this was dedication. Now I do see BirthNote BirthNote especially trying a very similar approach, and it's definitely working !

Least favorite Kong tho? I can't say for certain. I like even Candy, for what she's worth. If I absolutely gotta make a choice, the Jungle Beat gibbons. For outrightly trying to replace Diddy in Jungle Beat. Swanky made the least overall impact on the whole storyline, and his minigames where not even required for any sort of completion in DKC2 & 3. Candy had her musical instrument shop in DK64, that had it's clear purpose. If we gotta choose a Rare created Kong, I think Swanky is the least impressive because he's Donkey Kong's model, but a shady pimp type of guy. Which is way too hilarious now I realize when typing this out, so I can't hate him either .

What makes the Kong family so great is the exaggeration of 90s family themes in them. They should totally bring something like that back, but modern, however I can't see anyone but Rare up for this task unfortunately. I would at this point just settle with whichever Kong was already done by Retro in the past, and Nintendo sticking to that, and add K.Rool and the Kremlings, who could quite literally just act like the Snowmads did, and am fine. I don't want Nintendo to take huge risks with the franchise before making a solid base of what's already established. And then again, I also don't want them to play too safe, and deliver some quality creative changes as well...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good question, and I think it correlates to each other, definitely. The K.Rool Mii costume was the result of the massive K.Rool demands on the ballot we all believe. There was a massive campaign backing K.Rool up, there where people who voted him despite even ever really been DKC fans, and know him from the Smash threads alone. I mean, this was dedication. Now I do see BirthNote BirthNote especially trying a very similar approach, and it's definitely working !
I already knew about K. Rool's Mii costume in Smash 4 being a result of his popularity in the Smash Ballot as that's clear as day now that he is playable in Ultimate. But what I was saying was, how many DKC fans abandoned the Gangplank Galleon and voted for Dixie after they saw that K. Rool Mii costume? It is a interesting question we'll never know as I think a good number of DKC fans voted for Dixie after that same with a lot of Metroid fans who I assumed voted for Dark Samus after seeing Ridley as a stage hazard in Smash 4.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Candy is an interesting case of being one of the few Kongs whose design really didn't stick the landing, which is notable given that it felt like everybody else got a visual aesthetic that really nailed their characters. Even Kiddy's in game sprite looks completely fine with only stuff like his renders and certain artwork making him look worse. While her later redesigns to improve her somewhat, she still feels she lacks the stand out personality elements the other characters have.

Its telling that just a King of Swing inspired design (credit Bowsaremyfriends on Deviantart) really improves her overall look.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Swanky made the least overall impact on the whole storyline, and his minigames where not even required for any sort of completion in DKC2 & 3.
Correction! You need to visit every Kong at least once to get 102% completion in DKC2, I think. And in the GBA version of DKC3, you need to beat Swanky's terrible Sonic 2 mini-game at least once to get a Banana Bird.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I already knew about K. Rool's Mii costume in Smash 4 being a result of his popularity in the Smash Ballot as that's clear as day now that he is playable in Ultimate. But what I was saying was, how many DKC fans abandoned the Gangplank Galleon and voted for Dixie after they saw that K. Rool Mii costume? It is a interesting question we'll never know as I think a good number of DKC fans voted for Dixie after that same with a lot of Metroid fans who I assumed voted for Dark Samus after seeing Ridley as a stage hazard in Smash 4.
Am not sure. That's a very good question. However, K.Rool never had the same situation as Ridley, being a stage obstacle and all that. Dixie might still have gotten significant votes, but not as much compared to K.Rool. Dark Samus might've gotten a whole lot of traction because of the whole Ridley situation, which she obviously otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

I think they just looked which characters could be reasonable Echoes, and which are not. I am sure the likes of Bandana Dee and Impa also got significant votes, but not compared to say, K.Rool, Ridley, Isabelle (a glorified Echo), Snake and other highly requested veterans as Wolf, Ice Climbers, name then.

If veterans wouldn't be as much requested, and they only brought back the most popular ones as Snake, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer and such, I bet we'd see more semi clones in the place of Young Link, Pichu and whoever else wouldn't be there if it wasn't for "Everyone Is Here".

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Entrance to the DK section at Super Nintendo World.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Source Gaming released their analysis on the selection process for Brawl. He does briefly mention Dixie and the tag team concept. Dixie will probably get talked about more in depth in the Brawl cut characters portion. I know it's been said time and time again, but it's still baffling on how Dixie has not gotten into Smash by now. You would think with more female characters getting in during Smash 4, she would have gotten the nod at that time. While my expectations are low, I hope to think that Dixie will be chosen because of the 40th anniversary of DK. Tropical Freeze needs more content in Smash.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Source Gaming released their analysis on the selection process for Brawl. He does briefly mention Dixie and the tag team concept. Dixie will probably get talked about more in depth in the Brawl cut characters portion. I know it's been said time and time again, but it's still baffling on how Dixie has not gotten into Smash by now. You would think with more female characters getting in during Smash 4, she would have gotten the nod at that time. While my expectations are low, I hope to think that Dixie will be chosen because of the 40th anniversary of DK. Tropical Freeze needs more content in Smash.
Speaking of tag-teams, what if the Smash team brought back that idea in the form of a Dixie-Kiddy team? I wonder how you guys and other people would feel about this; personally, I think it'd be a great idea that reflects the gameplay style of the original DKC trilogy, despite people having a distate for Kiddy.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dixie-Kiddy is one of those concepts that's not inherently bad, but does feel like it benefits him more than her. I've always maintained there are a ton of mechanics from the DKC to utilize with Dixie that don't require a buddy set-up with either Diddy or Kiddy. Smash could easily make a tag team work, but I couldn't help feel it would signal a lack of creativity in making an interesting moveset for her.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Diddy-Dixie probably would have been the best tag-team option, but that ship's surely sailed.

As much as I would rather Dixie Kong be her own character, I can't deny that a tag team has a lot of really cool moveset potential, with plenty of stuff you can lift directly from DKC3.

Top Bottom