• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DITCIT combos (forward tossed)

XIIHangman

Smash Cadet
NNID
XIIHangman
3DS FC
0748-1692-2379
After a lot of practice using this tech, getting it consistently feels amazing. Are there any follow ups that are better than others using the forward throw? Being as we have so many options out of the dash and the hit stun the MB puts on the enemy, I'd say uSmash and uTilt are the most obvious follow ups. It gives dSmash more utility which is always nice. Can short hop+any aerial be an active follow up for the forward dash though? Imagine the pressure we could out put with Megaman being right in the face of your opponent, lemons, claws, and torandoes at the ready from any distance

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Is there anyone really lab-nerdy who can spend time breaking this down in slow-mo ideally recorded?

There doesn't seem to be a real consensus on timing the forward throw dictit and whilst I can get it it's super hard to pin point exactly what makes it work. I can do it, but it doesn't feel like a rhythm or some audible cue exists to help nail the timing.

Instead I just hit forwards and A and roll up with the left stick and roll my thumb across onto B as well as A and sometimes I go zoom zoom.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
The two most important combos from this tech are Dash Attack+Item pick up >>> DITCIT >>> (follow up) and DITCIT >>> Footstool >>> Jablock.

yes you can get a combo with anything including air shooter and slash claw.

XIIHangman

Smash Cadet
NNID
XIIHangman
3DS FC
0748-1692-2379
Sorry for the double post, but here are the two I just mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88leXueXlaQ
The first part is a nice piece of theory work, I'd love to see aerial follow ups in a real fight using this tech. The second part looks fresh as hell though, kudos to that.

One thing that's been particularly bugging me about DICIT sliding both forward and up tossed is the terrain we slide across on. For the purposes of example I've only seen footage on Omega Stages and FD. And for the sake of practicing myself I use FD and Smashville. Has anyone else managed to use this consistently on tourney legal stages with less cooperative stage design (i.e Halberd, certain parts of Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, LYLAT CRUISE, etc.)? For that matter, does Whispy Wood's wind gust have any influence on our momentum boost when playing on Dreamland64? We're fortunate enough that almost all of the tourney legal stages and even the dubiously illegal stages that are argued in more stage-liberal regions are a primarily flat surface with platforms, however I feel knowing experiences of other players would expand what we know about this. It can't hurt to further research and discuss the little things likes this, Megaman players can use all the knowledge we can get.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Megaman can ditcit over any surface, I've had particular luck using it on lylat
About whispy wind that's a good question, I'll have to test that tonight

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Well, after months of forceful installment in my game, this is my experience:

Stages with the most nearby/well placed platforms usually give the opponent the opportunity to defend him/herself from this, unless that stage is Smashville, Town & City, Final Destination, and certain sections of both Castle Siege, or Delfino Plaza. I feel that primarily just Battlefield, Dreamland 64, and Lylant Cruise might give the opponent the most opportunities to avoid it due to how well placed the platforms are.

This tech is pretty much useful for primarily far away approaches, as the Metal Blade actually takes a wee bit of time just to finally stick out. You can use it close up, but it won't protect you from (some) projectiles and you risk the enemy interrupting it. However from just the proper space, this tech shines the best giving you far enough human reaction time to punish anything the enemy could throw at you.

Why is that? You cannot really shield it and even if you Power Shield it, there's a bit of shield stun lingering from the combo hit of the Metal Blade. If they do, its a grab. If they jump, then you can hit them with a bair, and of course if they attack, in most cases you're still covered against that. (Link's arrows, Samus' missiles, most jabs, etc.)

Your most primary follow up you'll want is: Bair, Up Smash, Down Smash, grab as they are the most consistent and serve most useful. If you can footstool to jablock and then infinite there from a raw metal blade, then that one would probably be most useful to you.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Its definitely further as expected, but the funniest place to perform this is Pokemon Stadium when it changes to Ice that is... Its hilarious.
Yeah it reminds me of Luigi wavedashing across fountain of dreams lol. Overall the fact that you can combo into any of his attacks with forward throw is amazing, plus its absurdly safe. Technically a huge wavedash with an active hit box.

XIIHangman

Smash Cadet
NNID
XIIHangman
3DS FC
0748-1692-2379
So keeping into consideration what this tech can do and assuming the user can do it consistently enough in a tourney setting, what stages should we most look towards picking/banning? From what i've practiced, read, and very little i've used in my local scene, I'd say Smashville FD, and Halberd are our best to go to with Miiverse and Dreamland being the ones to specifically avoid. I'm saying this off of personal experience with MM's match ups on these stages but also from use of DICITing, though I would like to hear the opinions of others.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Well in my opinion, FD stages and stages that are more spacious is where we have a lot more room to breathe to play more offensive like using more up airs or combo with DITCIT. For a more defensive player, you typically want more platforms to help with spacing, especially with customs allowed, that's where Danger Wrap actually is most useful. With smart mix ups on the defense I feel like Mega Man wins a lot there, but now with this tech I feel you guys have one more option to consider (a very powerful one might I add) when a player wants to play his favorite stage and still be like "alright, I can STILL deal with this."

There's pros but not too many cons on what ever stage you are force to play on. All it just means you gotta play a lot different than what you're maybe used to which in reality ain't asking you to change that much in your game. Town & City might be the best place for Mega Man player to show off all the Mega Man tech in a nutshell. (IMO)

But in short, if you want to play like that, then yes consider the tech, but not only should you mind the stage you're playing but also the character you're fighting because jabs like Mac's (rapid jab) and an opponent Mega Man's are the only ones in the top of my head that can make it more of a headache to perform DITCIT use. The rest of the cast all seem to flinch or clank with the blade IIRC if they jab.

Aside from that topic, I find the tech pretty much a Rosalina killer. It doesn't automatically secure your win against any Rosalina player, but it sure does make the MU a lot easier. If she uses gravitational pull she gets the stick even more with it, and because you can slide with up smash, you can kill Luma quicker.

I'd like to see more Mega Man players take advantage of it especially in tournament setting before I could be comfortable saying it works really good primarily on FD. I feel like DITCIT, and learning how to repossess your items with aerial attacks all seem really important. No one has really used the Forward Toss at least from all the tournaments I've witnessed.

Last edited:

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Im new to this tech, but very excited to learn! I play with the GC controller. I can get the up toss just fine with the c-stick. However, I can't seem to get the forward toss with the A+B method or even the up toss.

I personally like to play with tap jump. However, I tried taking that off and was able to get the forward toss and up toss with A+B.

So my question is, is it necessary to have tap jump off in order to do these tosses?

Like I said I'm new to this, so I can't tell if I just had better luck with timing while I had tap jump off or if it actually makes the difference.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Tap jump isn't necessary if you refer to the earlier posts. What's actually happening here is momentum gained from the normal running toss being outright taken advantage of. Its the same reason why DACUS existed in Brawl in the first place only with item tosses this time instead of Dash Attacks.

Lets not get DITCIT confused with DACIT or even Jump Cancel Throw, and I refuse to call it a glide toss in order to avoid confusion in how they are executed.

It really makes no difference whether you have tap jump on or off. What determines you getting an accurate slide tossed forward is how you flick your control stick. The flick motion is similar to the hadouken command from Street Fighter. If you want, you can also use the grab button into the mix. I'm not too sure on how much it helps but its helped me perform it more often on the 3DS version.

Not that it matters, but my controller preference at home is the Wiimote & Nunchuck since on there its just effortless to do. The only issue you may face is completely adapting to a new controller, but honestly IMO, Mega Man just plays objectively better on that controller and scheme I use on it. I understand people have preferences and really, more power to them especially if they are pretty dedicated to learning the more difficult way - I admire that. If that's what makes you feel more comfortable, that's fine with me. I just prefer the best controller/scheme over comfort any time of the day. It doesn't make me automatically better than any of you, but it helps me play the way I'd like to much easier. I could do smash attacks without that momentum glitch, perfect pivot faster and easier, and of course DITCIT the best on it.

:happysheep:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Wireless controllers have been getting banned from majors left and right. Even if one wanted to learn to use the Wiichuck combo, it's probably not in their best interest since they won't be able to use it at any large tournament.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
A lot of people forget to unsync them, so they interfere with the setups, thus slowing down the tournament. They were banned from CEO and Smashcon.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
A lot of people forget to unsync them, so they interfere with the setups, thus slowing down the tournament. They were banned from CEO and Smashcon.
Ultimately I do find it the responsibility of the player, however aren't their moderators who do look after who is actually winning or losing? Couldn't they also make sure players follow the rules and desync their controllers and remove the batteries?

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Ultimately I do find it the responsibility of the player, however aren't their moderators who do look after who is actually winning or losing? Couldn't they also make sure players follow the rules and desync their controllers and remove the batteries?
This.

A few tourneys i went have this problem with pro controllers and classic/nunchuks etc, and while we don't have enough people to make sure they desync after the match, is a simple matter of the players doing it and the TO's reminding them of that when they report the result of the match.

Banning wireless controlers cause of that is bs, if you don't mind me saying. What, should we all buy a gc controller and learn to play with it just cause people can't remind others of desynching their controllers? That's really unfair.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
At Smash n' Splash, if a wireless controller was in any way found to still be synched after that player's match was over, it was an automatic DQ.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
At Smash n' Splash, if a wireless controller was in any way found to still be synched after that player's match was over, it was an automatic DQ.
I'm gonna suggest this to the TO's around my area. Seems a little harsh and that's exactly why i liked it, i guarantee people will think twice before leaving a match without desynching.

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
So it's just a coincidence then that I was able to do it with tap jump off but not with it on?

Also, how exactly do you do the forward toss with the wiimote and nunchuck?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
So it's just a coincidence then that I was able to do it with tap jump off but not with it on?

Also, how exactly do you do the forward toss with the wiimote and nunchuck?
Well since my last posts I completely adapted to a new control scheme on the Nunchuck to allow me to do it even easier and with the knowledge and experience now, I actually do understand the timing. (pretty much effortless)

The point being you would need to have the attack button set to a trigger, and smash attacks set to the d-pad.

You simply dash, flick the stick at any point since its not like AB Smash, after that press Attack, Up Smash, and Forward Smash at the same time or even near the same time. (its not really that picky as I first described it all in terms of timing.)

If you're interested in following suit, my new scheme currently is:

A: Shield
B: Attack
C: Jump
Z: Special Attacks
Button 1: Grab
D-pad up, forward, and down: Smash Attacks.
Command A+B: Grab
Tap jump: off
Motion Controls: off
AB Smash: on

If you hold Attack and Special or buffer it during an attack, it will allow you to perfect pivot easier if you're interested in taking advantage of that. It should look something like this:

https://twitter.com/cosmowright/status/589399683308609536

And yes, its a coincidence that you were able to do it either on or off. It made no difference for me either. The only thing that may work is throwing in the grab button to the mix of things assisting how often you DITCIT.

So with this long post, you should be able to DITCIT on a Wiimote and Nunchuck should you decide to go on and adapt to the controller. Its really easy and can practically be done standing if you follow my directions properly. Good luck my friend.

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it. I'm still not sure if I want to switch controllers, but I will give both a try.

But there is something I am not sure whether or not would work or if it has even been suggested. But you say you need the d-pad set to smashes and that the c-stick won't do because it doesn't reset to neutral after pushing it. So couldn't you set your d-pad on the GC controller to smashes and a trigger to attack and do it just the same as with the wiimote/nunchuck?

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Not sure if this was answered or not, but why do I keep going like, half the distance instead of the full slide? I'm doing the throw, I'm just rarely going max distance (using A+B on GC controller by the way).

XIIHangman

Smash Cadet
NNID
XIIHangman
3DS FC
0748-1692-2379
Not sure if this was answered or not, but why do I keep going like, half the distance instead of the full slide? I'm doing the throw, I'm just rarely going max distance (using A+B on GC controller by the way).
This happens pretty often to me as well, the reason as far as I know is pretty simple. There's a really tight window of frames that the slide occurs during, and an even tighter window for getting the full slide. That tighter frame is the main focus of what we're looking at, but outside of that window is the input being put in 1-2 frames too soon or too late, I haven't figured out which one it is yet. If you get the half slide, which can still have its uses but not nearly as much as the true DICIT slide, it just means you need to practice the timing of the inputs. Admittedly this is hard to do but then again, it's an advanced piece of tech.

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
So I realized that you can't set your GC d-pad to smash attacks for whatever reason:/

But how many of you actually use the GC controller and do this vs the nunchuck?

Curisu

Smash Cadet
So I realized that you can't set your GC d-pad to smash attacks for whatever reason:/

But how many of you actually use the GC controller and do this vs the nunchuck?
I use the GC controller with the c-stick set to tilts. It's hard, I'm not good enough to get a forward toss every time with it yet. There is another guy I'm my area that uses GC too, he recently started trying it without the C-stick, I dunno how he's doing yet.

It's so easy with the c-stick. There are nice combo setups with the up toss for when people least expect it. But I really want that forward toss on command x.x...

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I use the GC controller with the c-stick set to tilts. It's hard, I'm not good enough to get a forward toss every time with it yet. There is another guy I'm my area that uses GC too, he recently started trying it without the C-stick, I dunno how he's doing yet.

It's so easy with the c-stick. There are nice combo setups with the up toss for when people least expect it. But I really want that forward toss on command x.x...
Wait, you can use the c-stick to do this with it set to tilts? Cause i tought that you can only do it with it set to smash, wich is why i am trying to use the a+b method. Is that exclusive to the GC controller?

Curisu

Smash Cadet
I use the a+b method with my c-stick set to tilts. The c-stick method only works with smash attacks on.

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
Well after a lot of practice time, I'm finally starting to get the forward toss relatively often. Im trying to practice some every day so it really sinks into muscle memory. I'm so excited to start using this in actual matches. What are the best uses for this tech and how often is it actually used during a match?

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Just about any time you would throw a held metal blade at someone on the ground you would instead ditcit into an usmash on confirm or grab on shield, for example

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So I'm going to sacrifice my own knowledge to help out the greater good (my fellow mega mains).

Pro tip to get the timing down;

After performing the initial dash I found it hard to determine when to initiate the A+B smash. If you listen carefully you can hear the thump of megas feet as he runs. Right After the 3rd "thump" do the A+B and it will help out a ton getting the timing down.

So,
Dash> 3 thumps > a+b
While the 3 thumps are going move the control stick from side to slightly up from side.

Game over I am you mega man XD

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I have noticed some underwhelming slides but always thought MAYBE it was just in my head. I should test/verify this. It could prove useful mostly for those who want to mix up an approach. Its very rare for me that it happens so it might mean I may have input a certain command late, but not particularly sure which one yet. Now that someone brought it up, I'll check it out.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
So I'm going to sacrifice my own knowledge to help out the greater good (my fellow mega mains).

Pro tip to get the timing down;

After performing the initial dash I found it hard to determine when to initiate the A+B smash. If you listen carefully you can hear the thump of megas feet as he runs. Right After the 3rd "thump" do the A+B and it will help out a ton getting the timing down.

So,
Dash> 3 thumps > a+b
While the 3 thumps are going move the control stick from side to slightly up from side.

Game over I am you mega man XD
intesting. have you done forward toss in a match. just curious

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I think the fault of these half slides might be player input after the item toss. I tried so hard to get this but its making me believe that people are actually dashing after DITCIT which might explain it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I have only messed around in training mode so far. Not sure if you hear the steps in a normal game or not, I believe you do though. I went from being able to do ditcit 1 out of 30 maybe instantly to 1 out of 3 or 4 once I started using the footstep sounds. Just a little more practice and it wil be pretty easy I'm thinking.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Along with the sound of his feet hitting I found you have to wait until his head bobs down 2 times once you start running. when it goes down that second time then do the a+b for the timing.

Top Bottom