• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

distinct character advantages.

tomtom0919

Smash Cadet
I was wondering....Is it true the some charachters have weaknesses against others? I noticed its harder to beat pikachu with charachters who don't have good recovories.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Thats because pikachu >>> all

also there are certain characters who are better against other certain characters however I don't think any character necessarily counters another...like CF vs fox -> fox has disadvantage and fox vs Jiggly -> jiggs has disadvantage. things like that...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
He probably wants more specific examples.
The example of Fox vs Jiggs goes something like this.
Fox advantages:
Blaster spam
Floatiness = Fair/Bair chains
Low weight = Usmash/Uair kills

Fox disadvantages
Relatively predictable recovery
Fthrow --> Rest is unavoidable if caught in throw, but usually not deadly
...Comboed easily?

Jiggs advantages
Aerial Combos
Fthrow --> Rest
Good horizontal recovery

Jiggs disadvantages
Low weight
Really bad vertical recovery

Yeah, Fox has the upper hand because Jiggs's disadvantages are really glaring in this matchup. More general comments - Fox's Fair and Bair have some disgusting priority attached, and it makes like harder for Jiggs to get close. Lots of blaster also limits approach and general movement.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
there are definitely character advantages, but it would be more helpful if you were referring to a specific matchup rather than being general. it would help us to give more appropriate examples of what you are talking about.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Fox outranges Jiggs, both with his Lasers and with his melee attacks. All Jiggs can do is hope for a shield grab or perhaps a missed Z-cancel or laggy attack. They can both 0-death combo each other well enough though.

In general, if character A can combo character B at a wide range of percents, character A has the advantage.

AlexBarry

Smash Journeyman
In general, if character A can combo character B at a wide range of percents, character A has the advantage.

I'm a fan of this quote. Mainly the part where you take very obvious stuff, complicate it, and disguise it as a thought.

I'm just ****in with ya.:laugh:

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
CF doesn't have advantage over Fox. o.o If Fox stays low on the air attacks there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't like picking some characters against others, though. It does affect gameplay a little. For example, if I pick Link and they pick Mario, it's like... hmm... ****. Fireball spams are gonna mess up my boomerangs. Yeah. xD I know it's just minor but it's like that. Also like, Luigi vs. Mario, or Jiggly, or other fast recovers, is really annoying but not too much of a problem I guess. Actually pretty much all fast recovers are a pain in the ***. I usually take Samus to take care of them. xD She doesn't need too many combos to win.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm a fan of this quote. Mainly the part where you take very obvious stuff, complicate it, and disguise it as a thought.

I'm just ****in with ya.:laugh:
Just doing my job. Spend 12 years at public school and you'll get very good at this.

Anyway, back on point: the main aspects in decreasing importance is the ability to combo (includes finishing off the character), range/priority, recovery, and the ability to avoid getting comboed. And there's some overlap: recovery is kinda part of the ability to avoid getting comboed since a part of comboing is finishing off your opponent, and range/priority can be a part of comboing since you need this to land the first hit.

And yeah, in a nutshell, combo and don't get comboed.

Wonsang

Smash Rookie
Just pick pikachu and you'll never have to worry about a single match up. Unless it's another pikachu, then you might have to start trying.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Pikachu is the best character in the game. Falcon, is a punching bag and could be comboed by an 80 year old ******** acid-stoned tortoise.

No. pikachu just plain owns on dreamland. Koso combos cant do jack to stop the pika.

So to put it plainly, if you think falcon has any sort of advantage over pika, you're wrong.

If you think falcon is wayyyy cooler than pika, you're darn right.

_kSo_

Smash Master
falcon vs pika on dreamland

fthrow -> fair -> uair -> upb = death

pika has nowhere to run, however superboom is right that one throw off the edge and edge guard with pika and falcon is basically dead. so i guess on dreamland, there is no advantage its just somewhat even battle? i dunno valoem always argued with me that falcon has advantage on dreamland vs pika. or a lot of characters for that matter.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
fthrow -> fair -> uair -> upb
DI

Its way harder, however, to DI a combo that starts with a fthrow to shuair, then is just basically as many uairs as you can squeeze in according to your opponents DI to up B. Really bland, really gay, but effective.

With the fair combo, you can DI both kicks and completly avoid the upair, Ive seen it done countless times with falcon, so with pika it should be even easier.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Both Falcon and Pika can 0-death combo each other very effectively. If Falcon misses his finisher, though, he's screwed. If Pika misses his finisher, he at least has a few options. Pika's recovery and edgeguard also pwns Falcon's recovery and edgeguard.

As for approach, Pika has a projectile. Their hitboxes and speed are more or less equal.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
Pika definitely has advantage over Falcon on Dreamland, but not as much as some people think
Keep in mind Valoem is a pika/kirby player so obviously he is going to argue pika doesnt have advantage

Also, I think Fox has advantage over pika in hyrule... Pika owns fox on the left side but fox can do better in the center and **** tent

greenblob

Smash Lord
But the short wall next to the sloping edge on the left side kills Fox's laser camping. Against a Fox player on Hyrule, you can just camp there.

Top Bottom