• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Disscusion: Vs. Mario

Kati

Smash Lord
I realize that a number of threads and posts complain about Mario, so please understand that this thread isn't for that.

I faced off against three different Mario players last night at a smashfest. All of them employed that tremendous fireball pressure, followed up by that incredibly safe downsmash. I can take on Mario with my main, but I'm hoping to either main Samus or have her has a secondary. Against one Mario player I found that I could boost ball under the fireballs, but another Mario player simply spammed downsmashes after spacing with fireballs and mixed it up with D.A or Fsmash to completely shut me down. Mario can have three fireballs out at the same time (though it is a tiny window), so I found missile cancelling wasn't working.

How do we deal with projectile spamming that rivals our own?

shadow0x0cloud

Smash Apprentice
Well, for starters they're clankable. This means you can knock one out with an ftilt or something and then go into side B to reapply pressure (idk but maybe crawl tilt can clank).

Depending on your reaction time / circumstances, a SWD will put you behind the Mario, away from any fireballs. Likewise a wavedash or run out of crawl to bait the Dsmash and punish / pressure.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Mario is going to spam his fireballs whenever he can, so you have to try to regulate the spam. F-tilt and U-tilt can get rid of them, or you can powershield them. Boost-balling might be helpful too, but then you're all up in Mario's personal space and run the risk of getting grabbed, and getting grabbed by Mario really sucks. A lot. Play it safe, keep your distance with tilts and missiles.

If Mario starts trying to rush you down, just shield and Up B. Normally in the beginning they'll just play defensive though because they benefit more from it rather than just rushing in and getting punished by CC.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Does z-air clank with the fireballs, or does it go right through them? That might be a good option for poking through their fireballs.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Seeing as Mario is one of my main picks I can confirm that Mario really doesn't have to pressure Samus to win. You guys also forgot to mention the cape. You guys can't camp Mario with missiles. And if Mario capes your shield that's a free punish.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Morph Ball, homing missiles, nair and zair are your best friends for dealing with a fireball zoning Mario, at least from my experience. Ftilt and utilt can also clank with his fireballs relatively easy. Platformed stages also help somewhat, as you can put down even more pressure with missile canceling on the platforms.

With this match-up it basically boils down to who can hold their ground harder for longer, read better and respond appropriately.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Morph Ball, homing missiles, nair and zair are your best friends for dealing with a fireball zoning Mario, at least from my experience. Ftilt and utilt can also clank with his fireballs relatively easy. Platformed stages also help somewhat, as you can put down even more pressure with missile canceling on the platforms.

With this match-up it basically boils down to who can hold their ground harder for longer, read better and respond appropriately.
How is her combo game on Mario? I've never really gotten hit by Samus herself. Only her projectiles and her Up B.

Vashimus

Smash Master
How is her combo game on Mario? I've never really gotten hit by Samus herself. Only her projectiles and her Up B.
That's a bad Samus then.

Samus' comboability isn't that great. The guaranteed ones are usually off grabs, which is still laggy if it misses. D-throw can be followed up with any aerial, up smash (fire up smash can combo into any aerial at low percents, which leads into a missile), up tilt, forward smash (at low percents) or Charge Shot (though you only really use that for a kill). Down-tilt is nice CC option and leads to combos at low percents too. Mostly though, Samus will just be spacing out and biding time with tilts and missiles.

Cape isn't that much of a threat if you're platform-cancelling them, and reflected missiles blow up before they even reach Samus at when fired at long range. It's easier to deal with a Caping Mario from afar than a Fireball spamming one.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
That's a bad Samus then.

Samus' comboability isn't that great. The guaranteed ones are usually off grabs, which is still laggy if it misses. D-throw can be followed up with any aerial, up smash (fire up smash can combo into any aerial at low percents, which leads into a missile), up tilt, forward smash (at low percents) or Charge Shot (though you only really use that for a kill). Down-tilt is nice CC option and leads to combos at low percents too. Mostly though, Samus will just be spacing out and biding time with tilts and missiles.

Cape isn't that much of a threat because reflected missiles usually blow up before they even reach Samus. It's easier to deal with a Caping Mario from afar than a Fireball spamming one.
So basically Samus's weakness is that even when she gets a hit she can't get much off of it?

Vashimus

Smash Master
On fast-fallers, she can get quite a bit stuff, but generally, her comboability is low.

What Samus excels at forcing others to approach her, and from there she has a number of good tools to punish.

quote05

Smash Cadet
My brother mains mario, a really good Mario at that. Now with the fireballs you have options. Charged up beam goes through them like nothing and can punish a fireball happy Mario. But they can see this and cape it like nothing. Punishing a fireball with this requires predicting the fireball and hitting him before he can move again. Zair is really good too since it's goes through them without clanking and if you judge the distance you can hit him with it too. Approach with zair. What I usually do with zair is cancel my ascent with an air dodge and zair out of it. You can move forward or backward using this, for approach or retreat. Nair destroys fireballs also but the start has to be precise with the linger being pretty to go through them.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zair is a good tool. So is crouching.

Top Bottom