• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion: Your thoughts so far on 3.5 Lucas?

moistslacks

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen a comprehensive discussion thread yet about the new changes, so I decided to make one. I'm sure you've all given 3.5 Lucas a shot by now. What do you think? How will his gameplay/tier position change?

I pretty much just started playing PM, so I really can't determine what this update means for him. Any pros want to leave their opinions?

Last edited:

Sayuri

Smash Rookie
I'm not a pro either, but from what I've seen, lucas meta havent changed so much except for the recovery. I also noticed that his uthrow has been nerfed and I don't why they've done that. It was pretty strong of course, but it's still not fox usmash..

Jynx

Smash Cadet
Not a huge fan. Magnet is really hard to combo out of at low % now, especially fast fallers. End lag is really really high on neutral B, so I find myself rarely getting my charges needed so my Smash attacks can reliably kill. Tether got absolutely destroyed, and Lucas has a fairly predictable b up recovery that is difficult to sweet spot often. So I find myself not being able to do off stage **** unless it's a confirmed back air spike or something because of they can get back I'm pretty boned.

Just from what I've seen as a fairly intensive Lucas main. His on stage combo game is still fairly good, but picking up combos is a lot harder without being able to magnet lowe % so I find myself using my tether grab and DAir waaaaay more than before.

Facading

Smash Apprentice
Spent a bit of time with him today trying to get used to him and heres what I've noticed: no punish game in the up throw, feels a little heavier imo, recovery doesn't compare to 3.0, and his neutral b takes longer to charge up. I have a feeling hes going to fall out of the top 10 when everything is said and done

Jynx

Smash Cadet
Spent a bit of time with him today trying to get used to him and heres what I've noticed: no punish game in the up throw, feels a little heavier imo, recovery doesn't compare to 3.0, and his neutral b takes longer to charge up. I have a feeling hes going to fall out of the top 10 when everything is said and done
I've spent the day with him, and as it stands RIGHT NOW, he's mid-high tier. Calling it now. The changes to his down throw ****ed up high % scalings so it's soooo much harder to close out stocks now if their DI is on point.

Bromoo_Konpakoo

Smash Rookie
I feel that Lucas will still be quite viable (just not as high tier), and I believe all the changes to him were necessary. It's just going to take a lot of getting used to. As someone who got into PM recently (this summer to be exact), I never learned the magnet combos too well, and found it easier to adapt. I feel with time, the magnet worries will be over.

Last edited:

moistslacks

Smash Rookie
That's good to know. I really enjoy his playstyle so I'm glad that it's possible to make him work, even if he's not on the same level as before.

Last edited:

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Well 3.5 lucas seems to be pretty good all in all. Even with the nerfs he is still very solid. It took a little time to get used to the new timing with magnet buut it isn't an issue anymore....just gotta wait a bit longer before i wavedash. All the follow ups he used to be able to do are all mostly still there. I still haven't been able to do his air magnet to immediate DJC U-air like with 3.02 lucas, but hey it's ok at least he still can do somethings out of it. His PKT is extremely difficult to sweetspot. It seems like he always flies past the ledge even when im wayyyyyyyyyyyy down in the depths. Maybe i just have to get used to it idk. Another thing; his bair off stage is sooooooo risky its not even funny. The lag is nice and fierce on that bair. His U-air is great for extensive comboing now due to its new knockback, i can enjoy headbutting people now. Other than those few things he still is generally the same. I'll be ending my observational rant now.

a vehicle

Smash Apprentice
Has NO ONE noticed you can't jump out of a landed magnet anymore?
This absolutely changes everything and no one has even mentioned it.
That means no more chases, no more shield pressure, no more wavedash magnet spam, no more magnet into off-stage into spike.

[TIM]

Smash Rookie
[
Has NO ONE noticed you can't jump out of a landed magnet anymore?
This absolutely changes everything and no one has even mentioned it.
That means no more chases, no more shield pressure, no more wavedash magnet spam, no more magnet into off-stage into spike.
People have mentioned things about magnet changes. It's still possible to jump out of it. There is just +3 hitlag frames from 3.02 now. Check out the "3.5 problems" thread in this forum to see what i'm talking about.

MrAzureKun

Smash Cadet
This tether nerf is overboard.
Nah, his old tether made no sense in terms of how far the rope snake actually is supposed to go not to mention tethers are really safe even with the current build. The tether is fine.

;Juice-And-Eggs;

Smash Rookie
Now that most of his moves are less dumb (his tether probably being the dumbest out of all of them), 3.5 Lucas is much more enjoyable to play as compared to his 3.0 counterpart imo. However I'm still sad about magnet being harder to follow up...

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Dtilt change is the only change really bumming me out. I'm totally fine with everything else, as I feel it was necessary. Maybe OU didn't need THAT much extra time to charge, even if you can store partial charges now...

Ace Turner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-1026-7348
it's really cool though how fast you can whip that magnet out now that the second one falls. I look like Neon's Lucas and play nothing like Neon but at least my flashy little magnet LOOKS cool. how effective it is in actual gameplay is another story....

also, yes the tether was a little too broken in 3.02, but the tether in 3.5 is near useless. bummer times.

No U

Smash Journeyman
Biggest nerfs: extra frames on bair, shortened tether (gonna take some getting used to), OU superchargetime, lower stun on pkf

Rest of the nerfs seem pretty minor compared with nerfs the rest of the cast got, and Lucas is still sitting pretty with his stage control. New recovery is surprisingly decent too, not as rough as I thought it might be.

What are the changes to magnet? It feels a bit easier to get stuck in.

Also new dtilt is one of the many 'idk why this even needed changed' things in this patch. I miss the pop-up but I guess it's a bit safer on shield.

Also, Lucas is God-tier in Stamina. Dair is an infinite.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
it's really cool though how fast you can whip that magnet out now that the second one falls. I look like Neon's Lucas and play nothing like Neon but at least my flashy little magnet LOOKS cool. how effective it is in actual gameplay is another story....

also, yes the tether was a little too broken in 3.02, but the tether in 3.5 is near useless. bummer times.
Tethers are now a quick way to snap to ledge when in positions where your Up-B would be easily punished.

Consider an Ike facing the ledge while you're diagonally below the lip after having used double-jump. Using PKT or even airdodge there is suicide.

It's still *plenty* safe for that kind of mixup, especially when your opponent can't WD to edge fast enough.

drummaniac28

Smash Cadet
Is anyone having trouble with performing a DACUS? In 3.02 I could do it consistently no problems using an attack button so I had 2 frames, and even though it should be the same frame window now there is something definitely off about it. I can do it every once in a while but knowing what changed specifically would really help in getting the timing down again.

Edit: And another question, is it still possible to spike someone with bair while facing forward? I'm trying to figure out the spacing for it but it just seems to always spike behind me now regardless of how I space it.

Last edited:

Ace Turner

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-1026-7348
Is anyone having trouble with performing a DACUS? In 3.02 I could do it consistently no problems using an attack button so I had 2 frames, and even though it should be the same frame window now there is something definitely off about it. I can do it every once in a while but knowing what changed specifically would really help in getting the timing down again.

Edit: And another question, is it still possible to spike someone with bair while facing forward? I'm trying to figure out the spacing for it but it just seems to always spike behind me now regardless of how I space it.
I actually think DACUSing is maybe easier this time around? I mean it was never hard but I think something about it is easier now. Everyone having a DACUS is super cool, too.

TheAlchemist

Smash Rookie
Hmm.. Well, I feel like most things are relatively the same besides the obvious changes that are stated above. Since they changed Lucas so much, its just going to take a bit of time to get used to them. Although, they may have balanced him out to make more "sense" with the other characters.. I do feel that he will be dropped out of the "6 god characters" that M2K stated with his match up with Neon. 3.5 was a big patch and there's going to be all sorts of bugs that people will find, so hopefully later on the PMDT will come out with some new changes that could ring a little of the old Lucas back. But for now Lucas is fine and just takes some getting used to.

In my opinion anyway.

bËst^

Smash Journeyman
From my honest opinion Lucas changed way too much. Not saying balancing the cast is bad thing or that Lucas has made 180 turn from high tier to low tier. No. I just feel like that I had polished my gameplay with Lucas into very good only short after this new version came out. And the gameplay changed SOOOO much.

Pressure got different timings, offstage tricks are no longer worth doing, heck, you can't even use momentum based PKT's to launch you quickly towards ground/ledge because the thunder now goes through you.

Decreased hitboxes aren't worth complaining because those are easy to learn again, but the overall movement issues (lag of magnet, lag of Bair, changed timing with DACUS...) take a lot of time to relearn.

I know, Lucas's killmoves (bair, Usmash, Uthrow) were extremely good, but nerfing them all and also making it harder to set up into those moves just doesn't make sense. Why to nerf everything, because the new Lucas got absolutely no good killoptions.

This new twist pretty much annihilated all the time I put into learning Lucas and therefore I need to feel like that learning "the new Lucas" is worthy. Until that, I rely on mastering Fox, GW and DK 8)

drummaniac28

Smash Cadet
From my honest opinion Lucas changed way too much. Not saying balancing the cast is bad thing or that Lucas has made 180 turn from high tier to low tier. No. I just feel like that I had polished my gameplay with Lucas into very good only short after this new version came out. And the gameplay changed SOOOO much.

Pressure got different timings, offstage tricks are no longer worth doing, heck, you can't even use momentum based PKT's to launch you quickly towards ground/ledge because the thunder now goes through you.

Decreased hitboxes aren't worth complaining because those are easy to learn again, but the overall movement issues (lag of magnet, lag of Bair, changed timing with DACUS...) take a lot of time to relearn.

I know, Lucas's killmoves (bair, Usmash, Uthrow) were extremely good, but nerfing them all and also making it harder to set up into those moves just doesn't make sense. Why to nerf everything, because the new Lucas got absolutely no good killoptions.

This new twist pretty much annihilated all the time I put into learning Lucas and therefore I need to feel like that learning "the new Lucas" is worthy. Until that, I rely on mastering Fox, GW and DK 8)
All of those moves you mentioned as kill moves in 3.02 are all still great kill moves in 3.5. You can still setup bair and usmash pretty easily, you just have to make a bigger commitment now and can get punished if you mess up. Upthrow was a situational move in 3.02 and not even close to one of his common kill options, and its the same now in 3.5 (I know it was nerfed but I mean the usage of it is still the same). I honestly think that once the dust settles a bit and people move on from talking about how their character got nerfed, people will start realizing that Lucas is still top tier in 3.5, cause I have no doubt that he is.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
I have only played one or two games with Lucas since 3.5, mostly because my muscle memory became a hindrance instead of an asset and I had, in anticipation of something similar happening, main-switched shortly before 3.5 anyway. It's clear that completely changing timings for very precise core techniques while hugely changing a character is a pretty good recipe to make people quit that character, so I hadn't planned on commenting here.
This weekend though I played with another Lucas main from my city and when showing him a bit of stuff I really noticed some of the changes for the first time. Obviously these impressions aren't from playing with Lucas, but I also don't think that's very relevant in this case, as I'll mainly be concerned with the motivations that made me play the character in the first place.

Before continuing, I want to finish the techskill-remark I started above. There's three changes that make playing with Lucas completely awkward for me: The additional hitlag on magnet, different timing for autocancelling PKF and PKF not actually auto-cancelling anymore. The changed magnet timing was already discussed, so I'll only say that I didn't know how much of a difference 5 frames can make - I hit like one out of ten jump cancels when actively practicing the new timing, when before it was like nine out of ten during normal gameplay.
(remark: I thought it was 3 frames, but the hitlag for the repeating hit is also increased. Iirc you could cancel one frame later on hit than on whiff in 3.02, now it's six, which would make 5 frames of difference. I could be off by one frame then it's 4. The five frame difference also explains why I have such difficulties relearning the timing thinking the difference is three frames.)
The change to the PKF-timing is something I don't think anybody but me will have noticed. I spend hours training DJC AC PKFs to the point where I would get it more often than not. Due to changes to landing PKF now doesn't come out, when you do what I'm trained to do. The technique is precise enough to already have fluctuated between prior releases, so I'm not shocked it changed again. Still, I'd like it if some minimal change was made to restore the old timing, because it had multiple nuances that made it easy to perform (for a double 1-frame window that is, see the post I linked above). The changes would be so small, that they wouldn't necessarily be noticeable anyway.
On the other hand, and that's the real bummer, PKF lost its ac-window. (an undocumented change? I didn't find it in the changelog) I was used to occasionally whiffing PKFs and have different timings for when it absolutely has to come out, but those timings are a conscious effort and I'd usually just autocancel my PKF for safety (and have the PKF still come out most of the time.) Now I'm often awkwardly stuck on the ground because my follow-up actions were swallowed by the 9 additional frames of ending lag.
The magnet change definitely is the biggest bummer, but the combined PKF changes combine for an equally annoying hazard and together playing Lucas just became a chore for me.

Now while I hate having to relearn my most important techniques, I'd just get over it and do so, if Lucas was still as interesting to me (at least compared to the rest of the cast) as before - obviously he isn't. In 3.02 Lucas as we all know was an absolute beast and could do everything, so I agree he had to be toned down. But the direction he was taken in is not the one I'd wished (whether it was the right one I do not know, that depends on the reason other people played Lucas for).

Let's start by coming back to the PKF autocancel. If you asked me what I thought should be changed about Lucas before the patch, part of my answer would have been "normalize PKF ac and no-ac." Lucas PM-historically was the character with the most technical depth or at the very least right up there and had absurdly difficult techniques like perfect multimagnets, but those techniques always had less efficient, but easier alternatives that could be substituted to good effect. Autocancelling PKF was the same, but compared to magnet-shield pressure or SH-/DJC-PKFs the difference was more digital than analogue. Autocancelling PKF was so much better that you'd hardly imagine going back, but also much, much harder. The PMDT and I probably agreed in this being a problem.
Removing the autocancel, though, imo was the wrong way to go about it. Autocancelling PKF was niche, but useful as a movement option even without the projectile coming out, which fits right into how I want Lucas to be. Also, did I mention how good DJC AC PKFs felt due to the low lag? Here's what I think should have been done for normalization:
  • Reduce PKF landing lag to 8 frames (from 13)
  • Slightly increase travelling speed of aerial PK
  • Slightly reduce travelling speed of grounded PKF (each by about 1/4 of the current difference)
  • Reduce endlag of grounded PKF
  • Nerf projectile hits accordingly
Notes so these are understood correctly: PKF stays for a set amount of time, the speed of the projectile dictates the distance it goes. Auto-cancelled aerial PKFs fly the grounded distance and have 4 frames of endlag.

Now to Magnet. Before explaining what I like/don't like about it, I'll lay out what I see as the effect of the changes. Combos will usually not be affected. While it can be SDI'd more easily now due to the longer hitlag, it could be SDI'd into the ground before anyway and a well-spaced magnet still shouldn't be escaped otherwise. Each SDI input also does less now than before, which somewhat offsets the longer hitlag. The timing changed, but the result in combos didn't.

Shield pressure got butchered. Of course, footstools against a shield were taken out. My opinion of this: Good, no character should have an option as safe and rewarding against shield as Lucas did in 3.02. Now, Lucas next best option was multi-magnet pressure. It's still there but not that much better (if at all) than DJC FAirs + magnets to be worth learning. Opponents can now act between aerial magnet->magnet, grounded magnet->magnet can be grabbed if of by one frame and all magnets are easier to SDI out of due to ASDI in shield.
The one thing I noticed that could be called a buff is how opponents can now act on the frame of the release hit if released as soon as possible. This means that rolls/spotdodges have to be buffered more precisely or the opponent will get hit. On the flip side: You now can't hold Magnet for a tiny bit (1-3 frames) longer to change the timing without opening up escape windows. Also: Holding Magnet 3 frames longer than necessary already had this effect in 3.02, it was just hard to do. (which considering it's Lucas we're talking about could actually be considered a good thing.)
Lucas still has good pressure on shield, but he went from having the best hands down (magnet+footstool) over being comparable to Spacies and probably better (magnet) to maybe top 10, maybe not. I'm pretty sure Spacies and Lucario, whose shield pressure always was easier, now also have better shield pressure than him.
Last but not least, poking with magnet now requires more commitment. You have to call whether you're going to hit something before cancelling the magnet or risk being stuck in it for much (5 frames) longer than necessary. This isn't too important against characters whose bnb moves outrange magnet, because you'll seldom try to catch options with it where five frames would matter. Against lower-ranged characters though I'd often throw out a magnet in case they e.g. dash dance to a certain place and either hitconfirm off of it or retreat via wavedash and be mostly safe. Now if they take a step less, the formerly safe retreat could get punished.

My opinion on these changes: Magnet is less interesting now. I believe it's a good change that poking with magnet is a bit more committing, but I also feel like the difference between hitting and not hitting is too great - three frames would be enough. Lucas shield pressure also feels toned down a bit too much. I really liked how Magnet had parallels to shine in creating really good shield pressure, but differentiated itself by being slower to come out but with better advantage in case it hits. It was a bit unfair before, but now it's not good enough to warrant learning the really difficult techniques.
Another aspect here that dissuades me from picking Lucas up again is how now the obvious usage of Magnet feels like it's also the best. Before due to the multiple quirks in its implementation (lower hitlag than shielding opponent, gets slower when transitioning from air to ground, really good but too fast to make out the nuances) you could use it effectively just by playing with it, but looking at frame data and theorizing also helped find stuff, that probably no one would have noticed without. I love analyzing stuff and now it just doesn't feel as rewarding to do so. Especially with all of my findings getting taken out. :( I'm half kidding with that last sentence. I'd have no problem losing old stuff, if it felt like new options were to be explored.

Further still: Besides the theoretical exploration aspect, I liked playing Lucas for his insane mobility and plethora of options in neutral/advantaged situations. What I didn't like about him were his super long combos. I'll take them, but I also wouldn't care losing them. Now the aspect of Magnet, Lucas' most interesting and pivotal move, that got nerfed the least is the combo aspect. I'd much prefer it if Magnet was tweaked to be better at poking and pressuring again, but harder to follow up on. E.g. can be released 1 frame sooner, release hit does 1 more damage. That would make Magnet one frame faster in neutral, +1 on shield and keep the opponent shield-stunned until the release hit. Then, if necessary, make it lead into positional advantage instead of combos (which probably also would make ccing worse against it), and I'd be set.

To continue that line of thought, let's look at what defined Lucas as a character in 3.02 (or rather what I think did.) Lucas could do just about anything, so it's a bit hard to categorize him, but I see a few main distinguishable attributes that made people main him.
  • Insane mobility due to a huge quantity of quick movement options
  • Probably the highest tech-skill ceiling in the game and in extension enormous technical depth
  • Great pressure options
  • Extreme combo potential
  • Good pokes (mostly Magnet), safe neutral
  • Top tier
Of those, him being top tier is not something innate to his character, but rather contingent and people who played him for that reason alone will just switch to whoever is top tier now. But for the other four points, it seems like all of them combined may be too much for one character in this new age of PM. Meaning a direction would have to be chosen. I believe his mobility and technical depth are the pillars of his design, while the combos, pressure and safe neutral are more dependent on them. The first two also may be summed up as him feeling like an offensive character. Which of the latter three aspects you want to focus on depends on what the majority of Lucas players prefers (I'd wager pressure), but the first two are quintessential.
The above is why I think the Magnet and PKF changes are such a big deal. They removed a lot of effective technical depth by making some of the most difficult techs not really worth using over the simpler stuff. The missing AC on PKF also limited movement options unnecessarily.

Now even though my post has all those negative responses, almost all the other changes I like or at least don't mind. Not having tested it I'm a bit sceptical about the ZAir change and whether it'll still be viable as an on-stage attack with the increased hitlag (I really think it should be) and DAir feels a bit lazily changed, again rewarding the obvious usage. Something like a landing-hitbox to prevent the semi-infinite (which also is much less of a deal with normalized SDI) would have been much more interesting. Also DThrow still feels unfair. Those complaints are minor, though.

The new DTilt looks really interesting. The change to OU is great (but I still don't like the move and think it should be either replaced or worked on :p.) Shorter Magnet pulls sounded bad, but the new distance is fair. Lucas neutral now requires commitment, which should make him more fun to play as. Having to be more precise with moves also sounds interesting (and opens up even more opportunities to intentionally hit with flubs.) UpAir can kill again and not just combo (I preferred the old version with the sweetspot over the one he had in 3.02.) The stuff that annoyed people but wasn't actually important got removed, so I'll now here less complaints (should I play him), which is good.
Really, if it wasn't for Magnet and PKF, I'd be playing Lucas again and would be a huge proponent of the changes. Also would be having more fun than before :).

tl,dr: Magnet and PKF changes are a huge deal because they cost Lucas technical depth and a movement option (DJC PKF AC), other changes are good

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I'm still adjusting, but Lucas feels a lot more stiff with the weird new lags. And of course the nerf to recovery means I can't be Spider-man anymore, sad I can't just web sling my way back to stage.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Is there no Lucas Social?
I'm picking up Lucas as a secondary,and I have a question.
How does canceling his 2nd jump work?It's difficult to explain my exact question,but if you cancel it at different times,you can cancel his upwards movement sooner,yes?
How many different 'levels' so to speak,of this are there?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I don't think I've gone into detail my likes/dislikes about 3.5 Lucas, so I might as well put it out there now.

I don't dislike the fact that they nerfed Lucas. That was obviously warranted. However, they made Lucas less of a technical character and I really don't like that.

Magnet's new hitlag, once you get the timing down for this, you'll be able to get a lot of those followups you got in 3.02, so I don't think it's that bad in that regard. It's just annoying trying to completely drop the muscle memory I have from 3.02, where I would get it correctly like 95% of the time then. For 3.5, it's more like I'm getting it correctly 70% of the time. That's not a huge deal, as I can keep practicing until I can get it right as much as possible.

What DON'T like about magnet is that we lost a lot of mixups on shield pressure. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Magnet is worth using as shield pressure in 3.5. I'm also not sure if doing multi-magnet on shield could even be considered an actual multimagnet, as it'd be no faster than say, Fox shining on shield, wavedashing down, and then shining again (in fact I'm pretty sure it'd be slower than that, making it even more useless than the Fox scenario I gave). There is no way to quickly implement magnets into DJC aerials (Well, you can, it's just incredibly slow now). Fox, Falco, and Wolf all have frame 1 shines and still have fast execution on their shield pressure, but apparently when Lucas did as well it was considered broken (despite you being able to buffer a roll out of it, like surprise, spacie pressure as well). Even Ness' magnet mechanics feel untouched in this regard, and while his magnet pressure wasn't as good as Spacie or Lucas', you could still pull off some interesting things. So I don't dislike magnet because people think that followups from it are more difficult. I dislike it because it doesn't feel like a good pressure tool because of how slow it is, and you've have to commit to that a lot more with that over any other attack of his in 3.5, while getting a very mediocre result/low reward (assuming you're rewarded for it, which is unlikely). I would have rather had less shield damage from Magnet (again). You don't shield pressure to break a shield (though doing so automatically makes you a god), you do it to put your opponent in a disadvantageous position, and try to force an action out of them. In 3.5? All they gotta do is grab through, because you can totally do that now (You could do this in 3.02 with certain characters like Marth, but now it feels more prevalent)

The next subject is his grab...jeez. I know his grab in 3.02 and earlier was pretty ridiculous, what with the hitboxes covering the snake the entire animation, every hitbox on it appearing at the same time, and his dash grab being active for like 14 frames (making spotdodging this an absolute pain in the ass, but whatever they did to this thing, they can take it back. This thing is insanely unreliable now, from my experience. There have been so many times where the head of the snake goes right through my opponent, and that thing just DOESN'T grab them. The changed hitboxes make chaingrabbing fast fallers/spacies a bit messy, as it feels so inconsistent as to when it actually wants to grab them or let them hit the floor. I feel like even when I try to use a consistent timing, it fails, so this is another one of Lucas' options that I think have gone out the window. Chaingrabs, juggles, and magnet pressure are the ways I like to deal with spacies, but since two of those feel unreliable now, is it even worth going Lucas against someone like Falco anymore? His dash grab has less active frames, it has the changed hitboxes, and I think it has the same amount of cooldown from 3.0 (I haven't tested it with debug mode, so someone please correct me if I'm being wrong). So the way I'll see it, you'll probably land a dash grab maybe once out of every 10 attempts, so there's never any reason to use this. I mean, sure the only reason people used it in 3.02 was because it was broken, but I feel like there's no benefit of using this at all, though that might just be a thing with tether characters in general. I'll stick with Jump-Cancelled grabs, as usual. The throws themselves are fine, but the grabs feel a bit iffy for me. Maybe this is just another case of 3.02's memory.

Other than those, I feel like the changes were better for the most part. I'm sorta not a fan of the crazy amount of sour spots the PMDT decided to put on like all of his aerials and tilts, but it encourages better spacing, I suppose. I'll miss the bigger disjoint on his fair, as now I don't even consider the thing to be disjoint given how small it is. His recovery took a hit, but he's still capable of making it back on stage. It's predictable as all hell now, but I still think there are some recovery mixups I have yet to discover. As for removing the aerial drifting he got from his Up-B in 3.02, why? I don't really see what the point in taking that away was. It didn't seem polarizing to the game or to recoveries in general imo (Magnet stalling was the problem).

Overall, I feel like he's still a good character. He definitely lost some of his fun factor, which I am struggling with. The entire reason that I even got into the character for PM was because I saw a TAS video of Lucas' insane magnet shield pressure (it was a 2.6 video and I had started the game with 3.0, didn't even notice that half the stuff wasn't possible or at the very least, would take much longer with the weaker shield damage). But now, there's no way to even remotely emulate that amount of flashiness and speed, making him feel stiff and a bit boring now. I'll make it clear that I'm not dropping the character, but I am messing around with some other characters for potential secondaries. I've put way too much time into this character to drop him so quickly and I actually want to prove a point that I can make the character look good, even without him being considered broken. I feel like Lucas mains are trying 3.5 Lucas in tournaments, seeing the new hitlag and sourspots and just immediately go, "Well, **** this character, I'm done with him." I'd rather see how far I can take him in the next few months rather than dropping him immediately.

TL;DR - I don't like Magnet all that much anymore since it's a much less technical move. Grabs feel a bit odd now and inconsistent as hell. Most of everything else is fine and I'm willing to endure the changes for a while.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for this! its perfect xD.. Although, does all of this work in 3.5?
I put an annotation on the only thing that (to my knowledge) changed: DAir semi-infinite only works on higher percentages now. Otherwise the aerials were tweaked a bit, but nothing of what the tutorial explained changed. (unless it was another undocumented change that I didn't notice)

By the way @ JayTheUnseen JayTheUnseen , the general discussion thread just disappeared to the second page, but it exists.

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
I don't think I've gone into detail my likes/dislikes about 3.5 Lucas, so I might as well put it out there now.

I don't dislike the fact that they nerfed Lucas. That was obviously warranted. However, they made Lucas less of a technical character and I really don't like that.

Magnet's new hitlag, once you get the timing down for this, you'll be able to get a lot of those followups you got in 3.02, so I don't think it's that bad in that regard. It's just annoying trying to completely drop the muscle memory I have from 3.02, where I would get it correctly like 95% of the time then. For 3.5, it's more like I'm getting it correctly 70% of the time. That's not a huge deal, as I can keep practicing until I can get it right as much as possible.

What DON'T like about magnet is that we lost a lot of mixups on shield pressure. Honestly, I'm not even sure if Magnet is worth using as shield pressure in 3.5. I'm also not sure if doing multi-magnet on shield could even be considered an actual multimagnet, as it'd be no faster than say, Fox shining on shield, wavedashing down, and then shining again (in fact I'm pretty sure it'd be slower than that, making it even more useless than the Fox scenario I gave). There is no way to quickly implement magnets into DJC aerials (Well, you can, it's just incredibly slow now). Fox, Falco, and Wolf all have frame 1 shines and still have fast execution on their shield pressure, but apparently when Lucas did as well it was considered broken (despite you being able to buffer a roll out of it, like surprise, spacie pressure as well). Even Ness' magnet mechanics feel untouched in this regard, and while his magnet pressure wasn't as good as Spacie or Lucas', you could still pull off some interesting things. So I don't dislike magnet because people think that followups from it are more difficult. I dislike it because it doesn't feel like a good pressure tool because of how slow it is, and you've have to commit to that a lot more with that over any other attack of his in 3.5, while getting a very mediocre result/low reward (assuming you're rewarded for it, which is unlikely). I would have rather had less shield damage from Magnet (again). You don't shield pressure to break a shield (though doing so automatically makes you a god), you do it to put your opponent in a disadvantageous position, and try to force an action out of them. In 3.5? All they gotta do is grab through, because you can totally do that now (You could do this in 3.02 with certain characters like Marth, but now it feels more prevalent)

The next subject is his grab...jeez. I know his grab in 3.02 and earlier was pretty ridiculous, what with the hitboxes covering the snake the entire animation, every hitbox on it appearing at the same time, and his dash grab being active for like 14 frames (making spotdodging this an absolute pain in the ***, but whatever they did to this thing, they can take it back. This thing is insanely unreliable now, from my experience. There have been so many times where the head of the snake goes right through my opponent, and that thing just DOESN'T grab them. The changed hitboxes make chaingrabbing fast fallers/spacies a bit messy, as it feels so inconsistent as to when it actually wants to grab them or let them hit the floor. I feel like even when I try to use a consistent timing, it fails, so this is another one of Lucas' options that I think have gone out the window. Chaingrabs, juggles, and magnet pressure are the ways I like to deal with spacies, but since two of those feel unreliable now, is it even worth going Lucas against someone like Falco anymore? His dash grab has less active frames, it has the changed hitboxes, and I think it has the same amount of cooldown from 3.0 (I haven't tested it with debug mode, so someone please correct me if I'm being wrong). So the way I'll see it, you'll probably land a dash grab maybe once out of every 10 attempts, so there's never any reason to use this. I mean, sure the only reason people used it in 3.02 was because it was broken, but I feel like there's no benefit of using this at all, though that might just be a thing with tether characters in general. I'll stick with Jump-Cancelled grabs, as usual. The throws themselves are fine, but the grabs feel a bit iffy for me. Maybe this is just another case of 3.02's memory.

Other than those, I feel like the changes were better for the most part. I'm sorta not a fan of the crazy amount of sour spots the PMDT decided to put on like all of his aerials and tilts, but it encourages better spacing, I suppose. I'll miss the bigger disjoint on his fair, as now I don't even consider the thing to be disjoint given how small it is. His recovery took a hit, but he's still capable of making it back on stage. It's predictable as all hell now, but I still think there are some recovery mixups I have yet to discover. As for removing the aerial drifting he got from his Up-B in 3.02, why? I don't really see what the point in taking that away was. It didn't seem polarizing to the game or to recoveries in general imo (Magnet stalling was the problem).

Overall, I feel like he's still a good character. He definitely lost some of his fun factor, which I am struggling with. The entire reason that I even got into the character for PM was because I saw a TAS video of Lucas' insane magnet shield pressure (it was a 2.6 video and I had started the game with 3.0, didn't even notice that half the stuff wasn't possible or at the very least, would take much longer with the weaker shield damage). But now, there's no way to even remotely emulate that amount of flashiness and speed, making him feel stiff and a bit boring now. I'll make it clear that I'm not dropping the character, but I am messing around with some other characters for potential secondaries. I've put way too much time into this character to drop him so quickly and I actually want to prove a point that I can make the character look good, even without him being considered broken. I feel like Lucas mains are trying 3.5 Lucas in tournaments, seeing the new hitlag and sourspots and just immediately go, "Well, **** this character, I'm done with him." I'd rather see how far I can take him in the next few months rather than dropping him immediately.

TL;DR - I don't like Magnet all that much anymore since it's a much less technical move. Grabs feel a bit odd now and inconsistent as hell. Most of everything else is fine and I'm willing to endure the changes for a while.
This guy gets it.

NALEXOS

Smash Rookie
Lucas is my favorite character but i have 2 problems on 3.5 he's heavier on his jumps he goes back down straight instead of his regular float making it hard to use the A button attack on the air my second problem is the height of the jump not only is he heavier but his jump covers less distance i noticed this when throwing my self down to do a edge shield instead of defeating the other character i simply fall to my death

Top Bottom