• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Differences in lag

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
When you play against someone online, is there such a thing as a difference in lag? i.e. The person with the better connection will have less lag than the other. Obviously, it would not be as profound as the game freezing for one person and running perfectly for the other. And this wouldn't necessarily be ALL the time, just against certain people with a superior connection. If the connections are equal, then the lag would be equal. Personally, in my opinion, I believe the answer to be yes.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mhmm. Since the players are meant to sync together (as in, the actions from either side is supposed to be read at the same time), then the game depends on if the connections are read at the same time.

Of course, if they both have a shoddy connection speed, then it's gonna lag anyway.

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
It seems to me like one bad connection would ruin the connection for every one. When I played Starcraft, one person with a bad connection could lag out the whole game.

If you had a fighting game where you didnt lag, and the person you were fighting did, you could easily capitalize on the lag, which I dont see many people doing.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
When you play against someone online, is there such a thing as a difference in lag? i.e. The person with the better connection will have less lag than the other. Obviously, it would not be as profound as the game freezing for one person and running perfectly for the other. And this wouldn't necessarily be ALL the time, just against certain people with a superior connection. If the connections are equal, then the lag would be equal. Personally, in my opinion, I believe the answer to be yes.
The answer is yes.

First time I played my buddy Soyaku, he couldn't play in the lag. However, it wasn't too bad on my end.

Mitsu. 'Nuff said.

My other friend, S.Snake. He doesn't complain about lag much, but it always seems to screw me over.

It's not as common, but does happen.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The answer is yes.

First time I played my buddy Soyaku, he couldn't play in the lag. However, it wasn't too bad on my end.

Mitsu. 'Nuff said.

My other friend, S.Snake. He doesn't complain about lag much, but it always seems to screw me over.

It's not as common, but does happen.
I'm pretty sure it's a problem of perception.

The one performing juggles or shooting projectiles tends to not feel the lag. Of course, they're just doing inputs ahead of time, and hoorah! Their moves look just like offline!

The one GETTING juggled, or DEALING WITH projectiles... not so much. The person on the defense will always "feel" the lag worse than the person on the offense, since they have to worry about defensive manuevers.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it's a problem of perception.

The one performing juggles or shooting projectiles tends to not feel the lag. Of course, they're just doing inputs ahead of time, and hoorah! Their moves look just like offline!

The one GETTING juggled, or DEALING WITH projectiles... not so much. The person on the defense will always "feel" the lag worse than the person on the offense, since they have to worry about defensive manuevers.
Eeeeh, perception does come into play, but the individuals I mentioned are people I've known for quite some time, so I know what they can or can't play in. Especially S.Snake--I know him in person. Now, I'm not saying one guy can have near-perfect connection and the other rubbish, but there's a noticeable difference. For example--
Player A has lime-worthy connection.
Player B has yellow-worthy connection with occasional frame lag.

Now, I don't think it's possible for:
Player A has green-worthy connection.
Player B has red-worthy connection with much delay / frame lag.

Then again, the answer to this topic might be the same as that age-old question:
How many licks does it take 'till you get to the center of a Tootsiepop?

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
I also think thats true. I often feel i got more button delay than my opposite.
Maybe its if one player has more lag, so the game will be slowed for both players to that point, but the other one does not have that much button delay allthough the game runs at same speed for both

Top Bottom