• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #5~ JigglyPuff

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jiggly this is your quote in the video description
"1. This was wifi, but it was the ladder on AiB, still, it was wifi.
2. He won the set, close matches on both 2nd and 3rd. Not enough time to save replay though.

Other than that, this just goes to show one of Jiggly's better matchups against a top tier character. I'll take this video down if ADHD requests it."

This is ADHD quote in the video
"ugh LOL you recorded this? XD i needed sleep johns! how dare u!"

so your entire thesis of why Diddy vs. Jigglypuff by ANY means can't be 75:25
is because you beat ADHD 1 time in a 3 round set on wifi, friendly match, and ADHD didn't even know you where recording.
First of all, I said all of those things so I wouldn't look like a complete douchbag who ruins his opponents reputation just like Plank did to me.

Regardless if it was wifi I shouldn't be beating the best Diddy Kong in a supposive 8:2 matchup in his favor.

Also the main point of that post was to tell you that thinkamen is joking and you taking him so serious that it wan an honor to have him agree with you when he never did in the first place.

And no, thats not my whole thesis. Unlike yours, I actually have a reason why it would either be 5:5 though 6:4 in Diddy's Favor. I'm a better player than you and I have exp from both sides of the fence. Stop trying to compete against people who know more than you.

I'm just gonna re-post this since I already showed it on the main index b4 it got changed.

I got rid of what I think the overall match up is but you should listen to what I have to say since I main Diddy Kong and have one of the best Jigglypuffs.

Summary of character: If you thought Kirby and Mk were hard for Diddy, Jigglypuff will be your worst nightmare. In this match up, Jigglypuff will HARDLY EVER touch the ground. She has the second fastest aerial speed, has 6 jumps, and has the slowest falling speed. She also has this move called Pound where she can attack you on the ground with a huge amount of priority w/o having to worry about getting hit by your bananas. The most banana combos your going to get in this match will be no more than 3 if your lucky when playing a good Jigglypuff. The good thing about this match is that shes the lightest character in the game and you can easily kill her which makes up for not being able to hit with your smash attacks.

Air Game: The ground is your best friend in this match because if Jigglypuff gets you off the stage theres a good chance your screwed regardless off %. Whatever you do stay ABOVE Jigglypuff when she knocks you off. Jigglypuff has a super long sex kick which completely stops your b forward and guarantee the kill if it hits your rocket barrel .

Ground Game: If at any moment your somehow able to catch her on the ground immediately use your dash attack. Jiggs' ground game is super slow and she can't do **** especially out of your dash attack. Don't let her grab you though because she has some of the most damaging grabs in the game (each do 11% and a pummel does 3% each). Another thing to worry about is her d air, she can quickly jump and hit you with it and you better know how to DI it because if your at high % your going to get hit by rest. At lower %'s she'll mix her dair game up by either grabbing you after it or DI away after to make you do a U smash thinking that she'll try to combo you after it. The d air has diagonal hit boxes and its out there for a long time. Jigglypuff may not have a glide toss but shes very scary when she has a banana in her hands. If you try sheilding the banana she will follow up with pound which if your shield is less than 50% it will break giving Jigglypuff the chance to do a free fsmash or dsmash. If your near the ledge and you are playing against a smart Jigglypuff they will use the d smash and when that thing is charged your sent flying away and downwards from the stage and trust me after that you won't be able to recover. Jigglypuff can also follow up with Rest but that dosn't happen much since its to risky. I haven't mentioned this much because it shouldn't be something to worry about but don't forget about rollout. Although Jigglypuff will slip on a nana out of rollout and throwing a naner at her will stop her also if this hits you you will die if your above 60% and thats something you don't want. Jigglypuff can also reverse b the startup in the air so it might look like shes charging towards you but actually shes going to go the opposite way and then hit you after you mis timed your attack or jump. The safest thing to do here is stay in the air the whole time. If she's still charging and your out of jumps quickly fall and then jump again. Don't shield this because she can turn it 3 to 4 times which will either shield poke you or break your shield.

What to avoid: Basically being off the stage. Also some Jigglypuffs have mastered this but not many. This is going to be scarey but Jigglypuff can rest out of multi hit combos. Meaning she can rest you out of your Fsmash, U smash, and AAA jab. Never ever use these smashes against them if your at high % and you know your playing a good puff. I wouldn't be surprised if some even tried to trick you by purposely missing a rest just to hit you with rest easier.

What to use: Fair fair fair. It out priorities Jigglypuffs fair and all of her other moves. Of course its going to be much harder for you to time it correctly since you don't have the aerial mobility that Jigglypuff has. But you CAN beat her in the air.

Counter picks: Jigglypuff is bad at stages with short ceilings or stages where she can't gimp you. Bring her to places such as FD, Castle Siege, Halberd, and SV. Jigglypuff on the other hand, has a ton load of cps against you such as Japes, Brinstar, RC, Norfair, Lylat, YI, BF, and Frigate. Don't be afraid of Jigglypuff if she cps' with Delfino, its not THAT good for her and most of the time its very hard for them to hit with rest in the water. You have a dair which will kill them regardless of % and you have a better chance at hitting them with it.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
wow i still have no idea what u guys are saying o-o...legit ratios por favor xD

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Tell ADHD to play my Jiggs with his Diddy in person so we all can learn more about this matchup.

Keeps using Peach >__> I hate that character in Brawl, so annoying >__>

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Tell ADHD to play my Jiggs with his Diddy in person so we all can learn more about this matchup.

Keeps using Peach >__> I hate that character in Brawl, so annoying >__>
dairs ftw????

aargghhh making me stray off subject xD!!!

so jiggs....what is the matchup i cant tell sarcasm in posts!!! ECKSSSS DEEEE

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
A lot of the meat an potatos have been said in this topic, but there is one think I'd like to add. But first, PhatyCHONG, your matchup numbers are completely off, and your logic for them and you logic against Puffmaster's post are of the chopped variety. For anyone who doesn't remember that line from Romeo and Juliet, I'm saying your logic sucks. It loops all over the place worse than a n00b playing MK. As I was saying...

It's weird, but no one's mentioned yet that Jigglypuff can, in fact, apply banana pressure. When Jiggs throws a peel when jumping towards an opponent, she travels so fast that she keeps up with the banana. She doesn't need a glide toss. She has such high speed that that she has basically an aerial equivalent of one.

Think about it. One of the reasons a glide toss is awesome because you can be right beside the opponent when they trip. Jiggs accomplishes this by jumping, except she's in the air, were all her best moves are. She moves so fast that if she is high enough, she could catch the nanner out of the air after she threw it. She can pick it up again right after she throws it and throw it again. Sound familiar?

Count can back me up on this from our wifi match the other day. (He ended up winning, btw, but again, it was wifi) There was a time when I must of picked up and thrown the same banana... 6 or 7 times in a row? This was on wifi, too, were it's hard to control or to have consistency. I remember using nanner pretty well during that match.

She's not nearly as good a Diddy at it, but her skill with them should be taken into account.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong 6 : 4 Jigglypuff

[80:20 - 75:25 = never been so much flamed in my life over the internet,I just considered
Best Diddy Kong vs. Best Jigglypuff
I thought Diddy kong would win 8/10 rounds or 7/10 rounds]

Its already HARD to give a ratio to Jigglypuff when she is such a rare matchup

Jiggly - "I'm a better player than you and I have exp from both sides of the fence. Stop trying to compete against people who know more than you."
Excuse me but there is NO need to question my "playing skill" or "Experience" just because of a "RATIO"! RATIOS < CONTENT
that I stated

regardless to all of this, Diddy SHOULD NOT lose to Jigglypuff

You can argue saying "OMG 8:2 that insane" I'm still just one person, just emphasizing you shouldn't lose to jigglypuff even in list I state above in this post or the list stated in my orginial post if it applies you shouldn't lose.

Jigglymaster I would love to play your Jigglypuff over Wifi and play Jigglypuff Dittos
So you can show me [considering your "one" of the best jigglies.] the matchup.

ALSO NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS FORUM said ANYTING about the content in my ORGINAL POST just about the ratio number stated. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Why don't you flame my about my content rather than my ratio and make your own ratio on your opinion

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff vs. Diddy
60:40

since the ratio is what everyone cares about

I'm not about to get people mad/upset with me on a "Jigglypuff" matchup post
I'd rather be argueing with someone on a tourney viable character

*sorry for double post*

NO MORE TALKING ABOUT THE RATIOS OF WHICH I STATED, MOVE ON TOWARDS THE MATCH UP

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong 6 : 4 Jigglypuff

[80:20 - 75:25 = never been so much flamed in my life over the internet,I just considered
Best Diddy Kong vs. Best Jigglypuff
I thought Diddy kong would win 8/10 rounds or 7/10 rounds]

Its already HARD to give a ratio to Jigglypuff when she is such a rare matchup

Excuse me but there is NO need to question my "playing skill" or "Experience" just because of a "RATIO"! RATIOS < CONTENT
that I stated

regardless to all of this, Diddy SHOULD NOT lose to Jigglypuff

You can argue saying "OMG 8:2 that insane" I'm still just one person, just emphasizing you shouldn't lose to jigglypuff even in list I state above in this post or the list stated in my orginial post if it applies you shouldn't lose.

Jigglymaster I would love to play your Jigglypuff over Wifi and play Jigglypuff Dittos
So you can show me [considering your "one" of the best jigglies.] the matchup.

ALSO NOT ONE PERSON ON THIS FORUM said ANYTING about the content in my ORGINAL POST just about the ratio number stated. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Why don't you flame my about my content rather than my ratio and make your own ratio on your opinion
Ok, the reason we have no comment on your first post content was because of how wrong the matchup number was. An 80-20 matchup is just so wrong, that there is no way your take on the matchup could mean anything. If you think the matchup is that bad there is no one here who would think that you had any idea of what you're talking about.

Even your 'settled' ratio is wrong. Almost everyone in this topic said that it is at least around neutral or in Jigglypuff's favour. Just so you know, Thinkaman is saying that it is 70-30 for JIGGS, not Diddy.

I am personally saying the matchup is at least 60-40, but for Jiggs.

Jigglypuff vs. Diddy
60:40

since the ratio is what everyone cares about

I'm not about to get people mad/upset with me on a "Jigglypuff" matchup post
I'd rather be argueing with someone on a tourney viable character

*sorry for double post*

NO MORE TALKING ABOUT THE RATIOS OF WHICH I STATED, MOVE ON TOWARDS THE MATCH UP
Ouch, that's just a low blow. Seriously, of the low tier mains, Jiggs is probably the most seen in tournaments. She's seen more than Bowser, and he's not even low tier anymore!

You want discussion, here:

Idk what you're talking about. What makes you think that a diddy should always win? Jigglypuff can use bananas very well back at diddy, she is constantly in the air, and therefore not affected by the banana traps, and anytime diddy has to use his barrel to recover offstage he will lose a stock.

It is incredibly easy to see his upB recovery coming, since it needs to be charged. In a large window of opportunity, Jiggs can use a move with a lasting hitbox and FF down after diddy uses the barrels. The barrels fly away, and diddy can only fall to his death.

What can you do about that? Prove me wrong.

Edit: Wow, you even said that you've only had one friendly match with a Jigglypuff. Although you say you sometimes play her, you said you've never used her competitively. Why would you know the metagame and be sure you know how she's played based on this alone?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
^ hmm, good point. That's why we need to try harder to get the other side to comment during matchup discussion on the Jiggs boards, lol.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i definitely would dood...but i only know about top-high tier matchups xD and ness/yoshi/bowser for lower tiers o-o, curse of tournaments in all honesty i have only faced one jigglypuff main (not player but an actual jiggly main) and that was last year o.o i see more bowsers/yoshis/ness than anything nowadays o-o

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Idk what you're talking about. What makes you think that a diddy should always win? Jigglypuff can use bananas very well back at diddy
Not exactly. Even though her aerial speed is fast enough, it's easy to see coming when Jigglypuff tries to throw a banana. She's not on the ground. She has no mix-ups like dribbling or popgun cancels; all she can really do is throw back a banana, and it isn't that fast. You can punish on reaction with a retreating fair to recatch and hit Jigglypuff.

Plus, she can't apply the pressure like Marth or MK can to keep you away from getting back your banana. Assuming she ends up whiffing a throw, it isn't hard to breach her defenses and get it back. She realistically only has aerials in this sense, and a Monkey Flip Kick will outprioritize everything well-spaced, everything but pound if not.

And if she does make you trip, what will she do? Fair could kill if it's fresh, but Fair is hardly ever fresh, especially in this matchup. Pound? She doesn't have a scary amount of follow-ups to pressure you away from the banana.

, she is constantly in the air,
And? Wario and MK are both very often in the air, and out matchups with them aren't 70-30.

and therefore not affected by the banana traps
No. Even without tripping, bananas are still a very viable projectile, even more so because they're completely under the Diddy's control. Things like Falco's lasers, even though they cover ground and short hop height, have slight knockback, and are great camping tools, can only go in a set path. Diddy has full control of his bananas. They're still good tools for throwing at your opponent and setting up aerial traps. When a projectile's coming, 99% of the time the opponent is going to try to airdodge or move away. Diddy can force you to react to this and punish accordingly.

Aerial banana traps exist. Just because they don't make you trip doesn't mean they don't work well.

, and anytime diddy has to use his barrel to recover offstage he will lose a stock.
Correction, any time Diddy has to use his barrels to recover under the stage, he'll lose a stock.

It is incredibly easy to see his upB recovery coming, since it needs to be charged. In a large window of opportunity, Jiggs can use a move with a lasting hitbox and FF down after diddy uses the barrels. The barrels fly away, and diddy can only fall to his death.

What can you do about that? Prove me wrong.
Nothing really. But this is all assuming that Diddy's directly under or close to under the stage, trying to get to the ledge. If he is, Jigglypuff possesses the tools to easily gimp him.

However, Diddy realistically shouldn't ever be there. When powerful moves hit anyone, you're DIing up and to the corner. When Diddy's fairly above the ledge and offstage, he monkey-flips then so he can't get intercepted if he tries to monkey flip straight to the ledge. If he's offstage and straight across the ledge, he can charge his rocket barrels until he's far from the ledge and down some, then arc his bananas above the ledge. This way, the barrels disappear, and if he gets hit then, he can instantly use his bananas to recover.

It's like with Snake. Yes, if you grab him out of cypher, you force him to C4 himself back up, and characters with spikes or multiple jumps can easily kill him. However, realistically you shouldn't be able to grab him out of cypher, because he's not going to be recovering close to the ledge.

It seems that your calling this a 70-30 matchup in your favor is entirely based on the fact that you have a largely aerial based game, ergo you stay in the air a lot, ergo you don't get tripped by bananas, ergo you beat Diddy because he doesn't have bananas anymore.

The two main misconceptions with this are that bananas are unviable if the opponent isn't on the ground, and that Diddy is a horrible character without his bananas. Both are false. Diddy possesses the tools to do very well in this matchup even without bananas.

Even though Jigglypuff possesses the good aerial mobility, that's okay; Jigglypuff's normally the one approaching, anyway. Diddy's actual aerials all beat Jigglypuffs, except for Pound, which is able to outprioritize everything except a Monkey Flip Kick that doesn't hit the Pound hitbox. And besides that, it's not as if you'll be pounding every time we try to do an aerial. Will you be able to do a pound during the ending lag of F-air or B-air? Other tools, such as peanuts, aerial banana traps, shieldgrabs, uptilts out of shield and downtilts, baiting attacks or dodges and punishing them with an aerial (see aerial banana traps)...they all help Diddy greatly in this matchup.

This matchup isn't 70-30 Jigglypuff, or 70-30 Diddy, or 60-40 Jigglypuff. This is very close to even. Who has the advantage, who can say, but there's no overwhelming advantage for anyone.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
so im seeing/hearing this so far

55-45, 50-50

whos the 55-45? o.o lets make a clear understanding of this matchup...btw ALL points were valid besides the obvious and i would

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Wow, you even said that you've only had one friendly match with a Jigglypuff. Although you say you sometimes play her, you said you've never used her competitively. Why would you know the metagame and be sure you know how she's played based on this alone?
Well Jiggernaut I've played many rounds against jigglypuffs with my buddies, who also play competative smash, the ONLY COMPETITION jigglypuff I've played was only friendlies and had no problem along with when I'm playing with friends.

I quoted for the VALIDITY of the argument
I've NEVER PLAYED A **** GOOD Jigglypuff to the point where I was worried so my perspective on jigglypuff is obviously off.

I know her metagame because I've been on jigglypuff boards because my buddies and I play low tier tournaments friendlies at home and I like to play jigglypuff or CF.

Honestly, I think people just found something to disagree with and FREAKED OUT.

Content > Opinion

Ouch, that's just a low blow. Seriously, of the low tier mains, Jiggs is probably the most seen in tournaments. She's seen more than Bowser, and he's not even low tier anymore!
Calm down. . . I ment on how "rare" this matchup was.

Maby its just my region but, I've been to plenty of tourneys and I've have never seen a Jigglypuff main. Maby as a secondary but never as a main.

I DO respect the low tier mains.
Low tier tournies I play Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I play against a **** good Jigglypuff here in NM, and I've gotta tell you, this match-up isn't tough at all. The thing about "FFing a lasting aerial and gimping you" is the fact that I can mix up my recovery pretty **** well, often times against Jiggs I'm not in a position where I even need to upB (usually when he attempts to gimp me with a WoP would be the only time, and then he has pound which can allow him to intercept my recovery, which knocks me up) meaning I'm not usually gimped.

The most detrimental part for Jigglypuff players is the fact that you have so few tools in utilizing bananas.

It may just be that I'm a much better Diddy than my friend is a Jiggs, but then again, he usually places in the money just below me at tourneys, so I don't know about that. :O

Not unwinnable for Jiggs, not unwinnable for Diddy.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Well Jiggernaut I've played many rounds against jigglypuffs with my buddies, who also play competative smash, the ONLY COMPETITION jigglypuff I've played was only friendlies and had no problem along with when I'm playing with friends.

I quoted for the VALIDITY of the argument
I've NEVER PLAYED A **** GOOD Jigglypuff to the point where I was worried so my perspective on jigglypuff is obviously off.

I know her metagame because I've been on jigglypuff boards because my buddies and I play low tier tournaments friendlies at home and I like to play jigglypuff or CF.

Honestly, I think people just found something to disagree with and FREAKED OUT.

Content > Opinion

Calm down. . . I ment on how "rare" this matchup was.

Maby its just my region but, I've been to plenty of tourneys and I've have never seen a Jigglypuff main. Maby as a secondary but never as a main.

I DO respect the low tier mains.
Low tier tournies I play Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.
Well whether or not you say you know the metagame and how to play her or not and whether or not your jiggs playing friend is any good is totally irrelevant at this point. 80-20 is just wrong. Period. It doesn't matter what your argument is, because what you’re arguing for is totally ridiculous. The points I made were simply to try and explain how you came up with such silly numbers. Even if content>opinion, if the opinion makes no sense and is blatantly wrong, then the content can’t be any good. And posting profound statements in the form of inequalities does not make you right. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, because I doubt you'll ever change your preconceived notions.

I play against a **** good Jigglypuff here in NM, and I've gotta tell you, this match-up isn't tough at all. The thing about "FFing a lasting aerial and gimping you" is the fact that I can mix up my recovery pretty **** well, often times against Jiggs I'm not in a position where I even need to upB (usually when he attempts to gimp me with a WoP would be the only time, and then he has pound which can allow him to intercept my recovery, which knocks me up) meaning I'm not usually gimped.

The most detrimental part for Jigglypuff players is the fact that you have so few tools in utilizing bananas.

It may just be that I'm a much better Diddy than my friend is a Jiggs, but then again, he usually places in the money just below me at tourneys, so I don't know about that. :O

Not unwinnable for Jiggs, not unwinnable for Diddy.
About your recovery, it's obvious to me that that Jiggs player is doing it wrong. He's not gimping you properly. At all. I'm not saying he's a bad player, just that he doesn't know how to gimp diddy.

If you can mix up your recovery sometimes, then you won't be gimped every time you're offstage, but seriously, you should get gimped often enough by a player that knows what there're doing. After being hit off stage, the only options you have to recover that I can think of are your second jump, monkey flip, and the barrels.

The thing you don't seem to understand is if we are on stage near the edge and you recover with your second jump or monkey flip(I think...), we can hit you back off the stage and you lose those options. Even if you don't lose monkey flip, without your second jump, we can easily hit you far enough away (including secondary hits off the stage) that monkey flip won't be enough. You may even be too low and need to gain some height. Now, all you can do is your monkey barrels.

Now we have you. All we have to do is hit you with a weak, lasting attack and you are dead. nair and dair will do fine here. NOT pound. First rule of gimping with Jiggs: Don't use pound! You're right when you say it helps you recover, because it does. That's why I don't think your friend knows what he's doing because he's trying to gimp you with pound.

We don't have many options with the banana's eh? Why do you people keep saying that? She has as many options as someone with a glide toss, except in the air because she can move as fast as the banana in the air. She can still throw them while on the ground you know. She can even get an fSmash in if she throws it on the ground while diddy is rushing towards her.

Something I'm surprised no one has come up with yet, is using a banana and comboing it directly into rest. If Jiggs has a banana and diddy misses an attack/is charging an attack, trying to hit you with an attack etc, she can go directly over him and throw the banana straight down. Diddy would then trip and we could use the hitstun to combo into rest. It would be exactly the same thing as the possible trip after dair, except it's guaranteed if the banana hits. Although this is still hypothetical, I could see it working. It just needs to be tested.

So, still think she has no options with her bananas?

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
@ Jiggernaut:

Honestly, I think the match-up revolves around how well Jigglypuff can stay in the air, and how well Diddy Kong can defensively respond with his own aerial attacks and measured rush-down. Diddy users should not crutch on grounded banana peel combos, as they will be infrequent at best. This alone spells out a very even match-up.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
@ Jiggernaut:

Honestly, I think the match-up revolves around how well Jigglypuff can stay in the air, and how well Diddy Kong can defensively respond with his own aerial attacks and measured rush-down. Diddy users should not crutch on grounded banana peel combos, as they will be infrequent at best. This alone spells out a very even match-up.
I agree with you. Grounded banana peel combos are not the way to go here. If the Diddy player doesn't try to use them, it would be better for him in this matchup. He could concentrate on other things. Directly, I believe that it would be a very even matchup... if Diddy had a decent upB attack.

What I believe gives Jiggs an advantage in this matchup is the fact that any time she forces diddy to use the barrels to recover, she can hit him with nair or dair and he will fall to his death.

Not exactly. Even though her aerial speed is fast enough, it's easy to see coming when Jigglypuff tries to throw a banana. She's not on the ground. She has no mix-ups like dribbling or popgun cancels; all she can really do is throw back a banana, and it isn't that fast. You can punish on reaction with a retreating fair to recatch and hit Jigglypuff.

Plus, she can't apply the pressure like Marth or MK can to keep you away from getting back your banana. Assuming she ends up whiffing a throw, it isn't hard to breach her defenses and get it back. She realistically only has aerials in this sense, and a Monkey Flip Kick will outprioritize everything well-spaced, everything but pound if not.

And if she does make you trip, what will she do? Fair could kill if it's fresh, but Fair is hardly ever fresh, especially in this matchup. Pound? She doesn't have a scary amount of follow-ups to pressure you away from the banana.
You make it sound like every time we get a banana we will throw it right towards you and fly towards you at the same time. We don't have to be that predictable. Obviously she doesn't have as much mixups as Diddy does, but she can still use them.

Your assumption that Fair is never fresh "especially in this matchup" astounds me. Where did you get that information? Why do you think that? A good Jiggs player knows how to not stale fair and use it as a kill move. In fact since she has a way to basically combo into her fair and can't use her other kill moves as well, the Jiggs player should keep fair fresh, especially in this matchup.

And? Wario and MK are both very often in the air, and out matchups with them aren't 70-30.

No. Even without tripping, bananas are still a very viable projectile, even more so because they're completely under the Diddy's control. Things like Falco's lasers, even though they cover ground and short hop height, have slight knockback, and are great camping tools, can only go in a set path. Diddy has full control of his bananas. They're still good tools for throwing at your opponent and setting up aerial traps. When a projectile's coming, 99% of the time the opponent is going to try to airdodge or move away. Diddy can force you to react to this and punish accordingly.

Aerial banana traps exist. Just because they don't make you trip doesn't mean they don't work well.
MK is slow as crap in the air, and Wario doesn't have multiple jumps. Wario has to land a lot, and MK can't make his way through your defences easily.

Bananas are a viable projectile, but it's tripping that makes them amazing. The problem with your statement is that opponents can use bananas too, where falco's lasers cannot be picked up and used against him. Jiggs doesn't have to airdodge or move away when you throw them. She can use any aerial attack to catch them and then use them against you. Even if she just throws it on the ground, it makes you more predictable and limits your options.

Alright, I can concede that aerial traps exist, though I have no idea what they could be. They wouldn't work well, however, if Jiggs caught the banana with an aerial, and if she knew about aerial traps, could easily use the aerial that would totally neutralize any threat from you by looking at your current position.

Correction, any time Diddy has to use his barrels to recover under the stage, he'll lose a stock.
No, not really. If diddy does an arc from not under the stage, Jiggs can still hit him with a nair or dair as he's recovering.

Nothing really. But this is all assuming that Diddy's directly under or close to under the stage, trying to get to the ledge. If he is, Jigglypuff possesses the tools to easily gimp him.

However, Diddy realistically shouldn't ever be there. When powerful moves hit anyone, you're DIing up and to the corner. When Diddy's fairly above the ledge and offstage, he monkey-flips then so he can't get intercepted if he tries to monkey flip straight to the ledge. If he's offstage and straight across the ledge, he can charge his rocket barrels until he's far from the ledge and down some, then arc his bananas above the ledge. This way, the barrels disappear, and if he gets hit then, he can instantly use his bananas to recover.

It's like with Snake. Yes, if you grab him out of cipher, you force him to C4 himself back up, and characters with spikes or multiple jumps can easily kill him. However, realistically you shouldn't be able to grab him out of cipher, because he's not going to be recovering close to the ledge.
Diddy can be gimped if he's not under the stage, too. It's not edgegrabbing that gets him, it's getting hit by a weak, long lasting attack that will make him lose his barrels. I really have no idea what you're talking about with bananas and recovering. From what I understand, unless you get near the stage it won't work. So if we hit you off stage with your barrels out, you won't be getting near the stage.

Cipher grab is not a good comparison. You can't grab in the air. The only reason cipher grabbing should not happen to Snake is, as you said, because he won't recover that close to the stage. The situations do not compare because Jiggs can do an aerial off the stage too. If diddy uses the barrels anywhere offstage, Jiggs can very easily hit him. She isn't limited to when diddy recovers from straight up.

It seems that your calling this a 70-30 matchup in your favour is entirely based on the fact that you have a largely aerial based game, ergo you stay in the air a lot, ergo you don't get tripped by bananas, ergo you beat Diddy because he doesn't have bananas anymore.

The two main misconceptions with this are that bananas are unviable if the opponent isn't on the ground, and that Diddy is a horrible character without his bananas. Both are false. Diddy possesses the tools to do very well in this matchup even without bananas.
No, that's not what I'm saying. You're putting words in my mouth here. I am not saying that banana's make the character. It is a great matchup for Jiggs mostly because of Diddy's gimpable recovery. Yes, Jiggs can easily avoid the bananas, and since she's in the air a lot she has to worry about tripping very little compared to every other character in the game. Plus she can use banana decently well. See my point above about banana>rest. She has almost every defence against bananas (which I will not repeat).

I don't think diddy isn't good without his bananas. Actually if diddy never used bananas in a match against my Jiggs, I would be much more worried. If he decided to fight directly, I think he would have an easier time with things. Maybe.

Even though Jigglypuff possesses the good aerial mobility, that's okay; Jigglypuff's normally the one approaching, anyway. Diddy's actual aerials all beat Jigglypuffs, except for Pound, which is able to outprioritize everything except a Monkey Flip Kick that doesn't hit the Pound hitbox. And besides that, it's not as if you'll be pounding every time we try to do an aerial. Will you be able to do a pound during the ending lag of F-air or B-air? Other tools, such as peanuts, aerial banana traps, shieldgrabs, uptilts out of shield and downtilts, baiting attacks or dodges and punishing them with an aerial (see aerial banana traps)...they all help Diddy greatly in this matchup.
His aerials do not beat all of hers. Even if they did, she could wait until he used one and then use her mobility to go in with one of hers. This paragraph makes no sense to me, because it is mostly based off of the fact that diddy's aerials beat out Jiggs' directly, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true. If they did, we would just have to punish the cooldown of the moves, which is simple for her.

This matchup isn't 70-30 Jigglypuff, or 70-30 Diddy, or 60-40 Jigglypuff. This is very close to even. Who has the advantage, who can say, but there's no overwhelming advantage for anyone.
I seriously think this matchup is in Jiggs' favour. I think being able to gimp Diddy every time he uses the barrels to recover along with neutralizing his banana game is a huge advantage.

Also, I hope this adamant post was not fuelled by the extremely rude post I make on the Jiggs board matchup thread, because I apologized for that.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
thing is tho just because someone can gimp diddy doesnt necessarily mean its in their favor in any way o.o gotta get him out there in the first place and how easy can that be accomplished.

im seeing this as 55-45 jiggs o.o...

*tomorrow i post new matchups*

PND

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but Jiggs dair off stage is enough to completely screw a Diddy. Doesn't matter if he monkey flip / kicks or rocket barrels, falling dair will beat it.

Pastaboy and I had a set last Sat in pools, and he beat me. So thus, this matchup is obviously 90-10 Diddy's favour :laugh:. We play often, and he can attest that Jiggs puts the fear of god into him, but he's starting to adapt to the match and I can see it being likely 55-45 either way. He always keeps moving, and uses Diddy's high ground speed to attempt to bait a bair and either pivot grab or attempt a smash, and he's getting good at only tossing banana's when I go to replenish my jumps.

I will submit that these are player tactics, or "mindgames", but things like this must be taken into account. Bananas are NOT completely useless against Jiggs, but they aren't especially effective. They have situational uses and should be treated accordingly. The battle is really allow about spacing and baiting. On Jiggs side, he need to constantly drift in and out with dairs and nairs, and Diddy should stick on the ground, running back and forth trying to get a grab or dash attack. Off stage it's completely Jigglypuff's favour, on stage I'd call it even. If there's a platform, it'd probably swing Diddy's favour as he can reverse toss a nanner onto it as we approach, or toss one up and read the airdodge / catch with a poking aerial.

So I think stages should be looked at, who counterpicks where? Who bans which levels? Which character has a better pool of levels to select from?

Next week there's another tournament, we're thinking of having a Bo5 MM and recording it.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but Jiggs dair off stage is enough to completely screw a Diddy. Doesn't matter if he monkey flip / kicks or rocket barrels, falling dair will beat it.
Here is the post I just made in the Jigglypuff match-up thread that indirectly acknowledges this point:

@ Jiggernaut: Well, a majority of the cast can combo off of a banana peel into one of their KO moves, but rarely do match-up advantages pivot on these points.

Similarly, I don't think it's fair of you to assume that this match-up oscillates ever so slightly in the direction of Jigglypuff's margin, solely based on the fact that she has something of an advantage once she forces Diddy off-stage. Part of this scenario involves getting Diddy Kong off the stage in the first place, and stripping a Diddy player of his constant stage control to move him into that positional disadvantage is going to be a great deal more difficult than you give him credit for.

I do acknowledge that characters who have multiple jumps or a superior aerial game overall tend to limit Diddy's recovery options more effectively, but many of us have refined alternative recovery techniques and mix-ups in lieu of this fact over the course of the last several months in an effort to at least try and avoid this scenarios to the best of our ability. If the only component to thwarting Diddy were to B-throw him off the stage and edge-guard him accordingly, characters with far more superior aerial games than Jiggz like Marth, Meta Knight and Game & Watch would be having a field day against us.

Clearly, this is not the case.

The bottom line is that we should do our best to omit the use of hypothetical scenarios in order to reach a mutual conclusion about this and all future match-ups. Both sides have been guilty of this (myself included), and the focus should be put back on what realistic advantages each character has against one another, as opposed to what who can do to the other person in very situational scenarios.

While we are at it, I would like to point out that both sides have brought very persuasive arguments to the table in arguing the favor of each specific character. It would appear that both Diddy Kong and Jigglypuff have a variety of answers for a multitude of situations that they can force each other in, and that whatever preconceived advantages each character might have over the other are, at best, situational and do not tilt the margin of favor overwhelmingly in anyone's direction. Until this match-up is explored further in higher-profile MMs or tournament sets, I am willing to settle on this being an even match-up for now.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
PhatyCHONG; In a PM titled Diddy vs Jiggypuff 100-0 said:
Well whether or not you say you know the metagame and how to play her or not and whether or not your jiggs playing friend is any good is totally irrelevant at this point. 80-20 is just wrong. Period. It doesn't matter what your argument is, because what you’re arguing for is totally ridiculous. The points I made were simply to try and explain how you came up with such silly numbers. Even if content>opinion, if the opinion makes no sense and is blatantly wrong, then the content can’t be any good. And posting profound statements in the form of inequalities does not make you right. I'm not going to argue with you anymore, because I doubt you'll ever change your preconceived notions.
Are you serious?!?!?!?! your still caught up with 80-20 I disbanded that LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time ago thats why
CONTENT > OPINION!

Get over yourself, "I doubt you'll ever change your preconceived notions." screw you.

You think Jigs vs. Diddy is 60:40 70:30 in Jiggs favor
thats more extreme than Diddy vs. Jigs 75:25 diddy favor

jig - " Even if content>opinion, if the opinion makes no sense and is blatantly wrong, then the content can’t be any good."

Well have you said anything about the content NOOOO!!!

have you quoted and said any other arguement other than the ratio number NOOOO!!!!

Are you just fooling yourself and have little self satisfaction because you disagree with an opinion and want to argue rather than a matchup content YESSSSSS!!!!!!

Jiggernaut I've never been so livid with smashboards before I met you.
Wow. How juvenile. You don't agree with the way I do things or my opinion so you send me an angry PM? This isn't the first time I've had to deal with these, k? I don't know if you're trying to troll me or something, but if you have an argument directly concerning the matchup you don't do it in a PM. You do it here, where everyone can see it. It's a borderline personal attack as a PM. Watch yourself, man, and try to calm down.

Again, I don't know what's up with your little statements that parody mathematical inequalities or whatever. Just because you make a cute statement like that, it doesn't make it right.

Let us take a look at what you said, Content>Opinion. Though I am still unsure exactly what you are proving with this, I don't really agree with it.

Let me give you an extreme example. I am of the opinion that Gravity is purely repulsive in nature, meaning the more mass something has, the more it repulses other bodies with mass. I could give the best arguments possible and use extremely credible sources, create a PhD level thesis on the subject even. But no matter how good my content is, my argument can be countered by one small thing. By looking outside. The fact that the world stays together and the fact that it rotates around the sun, among many other things, prove me otherwise.

I can't be right, no matter how good my content is, because it simply isn't what is observed. My content of my work would then obviously be wrong.

During matches between Diddy and Jiggs we don't see such extreme winnings for Diddy and when the matchup is analyzed, there is no extreme advantage that Diddy has. Therefore an argument that the matchup is 80-20 or 100-0 for diddy makes no sense and the arguments for that must be flawed.

You say you disbanded the 80-20 notion. Ok, it would be nice if you made it clearer. Saying now you think it's 75-25 is not much better, you know.

First of all, 75-25 Diddy is more extreme than 70-30 Jiggs by the fact that 75>70.

Let me repeat it a couple more times. 75>70. I made an inequality statement, therefore I am right.

I never said I found 75-25 for Diddy extreme, just wrong. They are about even on the stage, and your banana game is essentially neutralized by Jiggs. But whenever Jiggs forces Diddy to use if barrel off the stage, he loses a stock. It is because of this extreme flaw that I think the matchup is in her favour.

Look, I've commented on lots of other posts in this thread, where the content has been similar to your arguments, so it's not like I'm sitting here yelling out matchup ratios.

It's not like anyone else has commented on your content, so I don't know why you're picking on me. I just told you why no one felt the need to comment, so you start tearing into me. I'm not the only one who shares the opinion that you're wrong.

"Are you just fooling yourself and have little self satisfaction because you disagree with an opinion and want to argue rather than a matchup content YESSSSSS!!!!!!"

And I don't even know what THAT means.

Look, if you really want me to tear apart you arguments, so be it. Tell me if you'd rather have me disprove the first post or a later post. For now, I'm going to go do work on my summer courses like I originally planed on doing.

I'm sorry to upset you, but I'm aloud to have an opinion too.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
@Jiggernaut

Sorry, I said bananas in place of barrels.

Again, you're DIing up and to the left, normally, so you're normally going to be considerably above the stage when trying to recover. If Diddy's above the stage, he can Monkey-Flip to where he's above the ledge and DI towards the stage, that way even if Jigglypuff hits him, he's close enough to recover without being gimped.

If he's on ledge-level to the stage but considerably far, instead of monkey-flipping to the ledge to try to get the ledge (and probably get attacked by Jiggs), he can charge his rocket barrels then. If Jiggs tries to chase, he can arc over Jiggs and get to the ledge. If Jiggs stays by the ledge, he just charges them longer, then arcs the barrels over the ledge regardless (going straight for the ledge will get him gimped or edgeguarded).

When he's doing his upB and you hit him during it, it takes him a while to do another one, and that's the time where Diddy normally gets gimped. However, during the phase of his upB where his barrels disappear, if you hit him then, he can immediately upB again.

I know the cypher was a bad example, but it's sort of similar. Yes, it's a powerful tool that you have, but Diddy is able to recover around getting gimped. The only way he's really going to get gimped is if he DIs wrong or you push him offstage with a not as hard-hitting aerial. However, Diddy is going to be aware of this, and the Diddy player is going to be more adamant in his placement and isn't going to let himself be edged towards the ledge as often (lol).

The two are similar in the sense that the majority of the time, neither character is going to get gimped unless they themselves mess up.

And apology accepted for that other post.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
^gtfo xD we all truly know diddy's slightly bad matchups everything else is easy stop trollin dawg

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Whoa
Whoa
Whoa...

Whoa.

I've been using this color since i first started :(
Plus. Me and Benny are like thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis

DFEAR

Smash Hero
that space between those many i's bothers me some :s...but...you're allowed to use MY font color...for now >_>

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Good.

Also the space was not intention.
I blame it on the IExplorer on campus.

who even uses internet explorer anymore. wtf.

Top Bottom