• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Trouble

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I know theres a thread that deals with DK's matchups, but I really need help against Diddy Kong. How do I get around the bananas? I was told to do that item throw roll dash thing, but its ****ing ********. It doesn't seem like help at all, just novelty. I was also told that Diddy's recovery can get gimped pretty hard when you're holding the ledge, but I don't get that either.

Please halp a Kong out. <3

TrikELotus

Smash Apprentice
The most important thing about gimping a Diddy is being better at the banana game than he is. Just practice picking them up rather with a small jump over it and pressing Z to pick it up, or just walking up and gently grabbing it. You'll turn their advantage to their vice. Many diddy's fall into their own traps, and if they roll into you, you can punish very well with one of your very powerful DK smashes or your Donkey Punch.

To gimp their recovery, you have to learn ledge-hogging. You have to force them not to sweet-spot onto the ledge, and force them to land on the stage. You get up quickly (just a quick left/right [depending on side] will do) and punish with

A) A forward smash
B) A side-B to DK Punch
C) Grab
1) Learn and use the Stagespike
2) Bthrow and edge-hog again
3) Any alternative attack or combo based on %

But again, out-banana them, and they get all that much easier.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Glide toss is actually very useful to DK. Since it covers so much ground, you can glide toss a banan and follow right behind it. If they get hit, free >B/Fsmash/DownB, if they block, you can pressure shield or grab, if they dodge/roll, DownB takes care of both of those, if they jump, you can Uair or Usmash.

The easiest way to get ahold of a banana is to shield it then jump out of shield and air dodge grab. Or, pick it up with Bair.

Other than banana games, it's a pretty standard fight vs. a lightweight.

Kone

Smash Master
Its made out as if playing the banana game vs a diddy is the best option and thus the way to get the advantage in the matchup. Any decent diddy will know the nana game much better than u and also if there really anygood what toe xpect from their opponent if they use their bananas. Its really ****e advice =x

lol

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Just remember you can also pick up the bananas once they have been thrown and diddy will also trip on them if you threw it last. Use this to throw him off and punish with a forward smash or giant punch.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
It's what has worked for me for a lot of Diddy matches. Using his own bananas against him breaks up his banana game. Even if Diddy knows his banana game well, he still has to react to a glide toss, which forces some predictable options from him that can be punished. Meanwhile, if you gain control of a banana, that's one less that Diddy has to use against you, which gives him less pressure options.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Use dodges and R button in general to grab those peels and through them back. The peel mindgame is the most important aspect of fighting Diddy. Also, you need to use tilts to no end here, and try to stay heavy on the agressive. Diddy has little defense against pressure and DK is good at applying pressure.

Oh and one more thing, Jab a lot.

Top Bottom