• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Aye diddy boards, was labbing w/ Diddy just now and stumbled upon this, not sure if it's been discussed before (didn't see any thread w/ all combos/set ups in it so I couldn't check really) but I've never seen a diddy do it before:

dtilt > perfect pivot > turn around fsmash at kill percent (starting 85-90% and onwards for Luigi). I think the turn around fsmash requires c stick to be set to smash attacks but idk. I'm not sure if it registers as a true combo but it looks very interesting. Might wanna look into it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Aye diddy boards, was labbing w/ Diddy just now and stumbled upon this, not sure if it's been discussed before (didn't see any thread w/ all combos/set ups in it so I couldn't check really) but I've never seen a diddy do it before:

dtilt > perfect pivot > turn around fsmash at kill percent (starting 85-90% and onwards for Luigi). I think the turn around fsmash requires c stick to be set to smash attacks but idk. I'm not sure if it registers as a true combo but it looks very interesting. Might wanna look into it.
I'm definitely interessted in this. Luigi seems to most Diddy's as one of our worst matchups. I personally don't struggle as much with Luigi, but he's definitely annoying so yeah, I'll look into this as soon as I can.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I'm definitely interessted in this. Luigi seems to most Diddy's as one of our worst matchups. I personally don't struggle as much with Luigi, but he's definitely annoying so yeah, I'll look into this as soon as I can.
Not against Luigi specifically, Luigi just happened to be the random character that appeared against me lol

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Hey guys, I'm thinking of maining Diddy, but I don't want to get hate from others for using a high tier character.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hey guys, I'm thinking of maining Diddy, but I don't want to get hate from others for using a high tier character.
You'd probably get more hate for using Ness lol

PK FIRE PK FIRE PK FIRE GRAB FAIR X3 BACK THROW

Real talk tho, I think people are well over the diddy hating days, although I guess it still left that much of a bad taste in their mouth. The new victim is Sheik.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong still gets some hate. but it's super minimal compared to what he used to get. Most people won't be annoyed if you choose to main Diddy Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People should just shut their mouths about which character you main, unless you're already an established character wagonist. If you wanna play Diddy because you like to play as Diddy, nobody should be stopping you.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Diddy's Uair got nerfed again XD. :,,(
longer cool down makes rising uairs more difficult.

Edit: Not fact i suppose but it /really/ feels like it.

Last edited:

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
****! Cmon Sakurai. What was the reasoning behind this nerf now?! God this makes me so mad. Im still not going to drop Diddy but its like wtf?! Animal cruelty is illegal.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Diddy's Uair got nerfed again XD. :,,(
longer cool down makes rising uairs more difficult.

Edit: Not fact i suppose but it /really/ feels like it.
Can someone confirm if there were any frame data changes to up air besides the change to the hit boxes?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am pretty sure Diddy has been mostly untouched. He sure still feels great. And I kind of given up on killing with U Air. But a nerf to that move would still be bad... I don't think he has changed much. But am keeping my fingers crossed there are no nerfs...

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Diddy's nerf to up air is pretty huge. The fact it has less range and more end lag hurts his combo potential badly and leaves him way more open with fast fall up air attacks. I'm just baffled by this balance patch. He did not deserve this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So it's true after all..? Is U Air still usable in any way? F Air seems to be fine. And Side B is also still good at least. Any other changes? Or just a U Air nerf?

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Up air isn't bad, but it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. Just lousy range and obnoxious end lag now. :| Up throw was also nerfed. Only does 5% now and I don't know if hit stun was affected.

Last edited:

Snokros

Smash Cadet
has any proof been made on diddy's upair hitbox other than the short vid that was posted? pac man's grab was thought to be better last patch because of a video like that where it was much faster... without it being so in the actual game.

Shog

Smash Ace
Let's see how many people who said "I love Diddy Kong I main him for real" will still use him...

We Charizard Mains always struggle. Time to feel the pain!

Shog

Smash Ace
this dude's victim complex is bigger than charizard's grab range
Haha I like this

Btw if you don't know, I am pissed off @Diddys Nerf. I honestly want to see buffs only from this point on. I just made this joke beforehand to see how people react

RoyNowBoyNow

Smash Rookie
Not sure where to put this, but as someone that primarily mains Diddy and now Roy, I feel like I'm missing something. I can b reverse, reverse monkey flip, jump cancel banana toss, and in general I'm happy with my game. However, I did something by accident today and I'm not sure if it's common knowledge.

I was messing around with ways to fake out with banana, and I was practising reversing into banana throws. Anyway, I dashed away, and immediately hit the c stick in the opposite direction, and the result was diddy sliding back whilst remaining in the original direction. Essentially it was a slide, so it could be used to dodge and trip at the same time. Does this have a name within the community and is it common knowledge? It genuinely looks like a banana induced wave dash.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Not sure where to put this, but as someone that primarily mains Diddy and now Roy, I feel like I'm missing something. I can b reverse, reverse monkey flip, jump cancel banana toss, and in general I'm happy with my game. However, I did something by accident today and I'm not sure if it's common knowledge.

I was messing around with ways to fake out with banana, and I was practising reversing into banana throws. Anyway, I dashed away, and immediately hit the c stick in the opposite direction, and the result was diddy sliding back whilst remaining in the original direction. Essentially it was a slide, so it could be used to dodge and trip at the same time. Does this have a name within the community and is it common knowledge? It genuinely looks like a banana induced wave dash.
could it be this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Sbeua8i-k

RoyNowBoyNow

Smash Rookie
It looks like that but it seems... Off. Idk, I never even considered it before because I was focusing on other areas of my game but in terms of banana mix ups it's great, it helps me against mario because I can slide just enough to avoid being cape tripped if I don't connect the banana.

I wish I had recording equipment to show what I mean. I've never seen it done but I believe it has genuine application as a fake out. Input is easy, from standing facing any direction, begin dashing away, then cancel the animation by c sticking in the opposite direction as soon as you begin to move, and you'll face your original direction, and slide backwards as you throw. I have c stick set to smashes, unsure if it works for tilts.

EDIT: could someone either confirm this or test this further for me? It's really easy to pull off, the timing isn't even that strict compared to stuff like neutral b wavebounce.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I don't main Diddy, but after the patch they have to fix the hitbox trail on up air. If it's going to only have upwards hitboxes now, the trails should match it. They need to fix that and Mewtwo's tail and forward air hitboxes (Shulk's n-air too).

Spatman

Smash Ace
It would have been better for us diddy players if mvd and zero didn't perform well (at least, with diddy) at this CEO.
Now sakurai will believe he did the right thing with this completely unnecessary nerf, and he won't ever buff diddy again. Or rather, probably, he will nerf the chimp again

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It would have been better for us diddy players if mvd and zero didn't perform well (at least, with diddy) at this CEO.
Now sakurai will believe he did the right thing with this completely unnecessary nerf, and he won't ever buff diddy again. Or rather, probably, he will nerf the chimp again
This distresses me as well, even though I love how nerfed Diddy still is preforming well. Any chance of any footage of ZeRo and MVD?

Orocket

Smash Cadet
This distresses me as well, even though I love how nerfed Diddy still is preforming well. Any chance of any footage of ZeRo and MVD?
And MVD and Zero's placements were entirely based upon skill not the character they chose. I feel like people won't understand that the skilled players who main Diddy really push the character and don't place well because the character is too strong, but rather because of their understanding of the game.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Good, that's how it should be. Skill trumps character choice almost every time. Problem is that the skill gap is very small in high competitive play which makes this apply less to the upper echelon of tournaments.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
This question's coming a bit late but really, what was the logic behind nerfing Diddy AGAIN?

who complained about him lmao

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Who knows. A lot of people were thrilled when Diddy Kong got nerfed again until there was a sudden influx of Shiek dittos everywhere. Many players were still super salty over 1.0.4 Diddy Kong and wanted to see 1.0.6 Diddy Kong get nerfed because he was still being used a ton.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope all other bandwagonists get hit hard after next patch. Especially :4sheik::4luigi::rosalina:. Can we start to complain about these damn characters to? :4diddy: got all the nerfs that should've been equally spread around :4sheik::4luigi::rosalina:, and while they're at it, make :4sonic: less cringe-worthy to. :4pikachu: needs some nerfs on his Customs to.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
At this point, all I really care about is Diddy not getting touched the next patch (or delay the patch for a month or two ffs). I don't really want to relearn the character for the third time, having all those set-ups and MU knowledge just go down the drain.

If worse comes to worst, I'll switch to Melee since the game hasn't been patched for the past 13 years lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Melee was 'patched' with PAL Melee. Which imo is a far more balanced game.

But yeah, all these patches have really ripped apart Diddy's playstyle. 1.06 wasn't bad at all. I think I might actually prefer Diddy that way. He was still an extremely solid Top Tier, and not broken at all. I wish they could've just not touched him since then. Hopefully Sakurai takes notice of this.

Top Bottom