• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong: Official Character Discussion

Ulevo

Smash Master
Discussion for Diddy Kong. Anyone can suggest anything for any of these topics, and it'll be noted. Popular suggestions/values will be marked as such. Final values will be determined by popularity, so voice your opinion!

Suggested Offensive Modifications:

Suggested Defensive Modifications:

Default Physics:
SH:
FH:
FF:
DGrav:
Grav:

Physics Changes:

Specific Move Fixes:

Anything else:

The Cape

Smash Master
So I was reading this post that was bashing the **** out of our project and I came across this gem.

It should be impossible to be tripped by banana peels while in a tripped state (removes Diddy Kong's banana locks and his wall infinites, actually a very small nerf to Diddy Kong as a whole).

This would be excellent. As a counter buff we could increase the KB on his D smash.

This makes it so he can do setups with Bananas, but not combo 0 to almost death with them, or he would just have to time his throws better to get the person as they stood up. Basically more skillful banana combos.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This however removes an effective strategy of Diddy for the sake of preventing wall infinites, meanwhile the wall infinite requires a lot of set up, and isn't easy to meet the requirements. This is a similar case to the Ice Climbers CGs, and I don't think it merits the change.

Revven

FrankerZ
Yeah... I don't think I like this idea at all. If I have two bananas, I'd like to expect that when I use both, you'll still slip and I can get in before you move out of your trip stance. Also, if this were to happen and I threw the second banana, it would knock them out of the trip state but not put them in it again, which would put Diddy Kong at a disadvantage.

Don't change what isn't broken.

The Cape

Smash Master
Well you can consider also that you can still retrip them once they have stood up. Just make it so it wont retrip when they are laying on the ground.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I definitely like Cape's idea. I've been thinking of a way to remove the banana lock infinite, which in my eyes makes permanent walk off stages (like Mario Circuit probably, but not Bridge). It's not too hard to set it up. And also think about it. Say your on the ground, and someone throws a banana peel at you. Do you instantly pop up and land tripped again? no. Sure, a lot of smash doesnt make sense with real life lol, but come on, you already tripped, why trip when ur on the ground. Make it so the banana still does damage, just not trips. Shouldn't be hard to change.

The character still has a chance of slipping on the banana when they get up (like if they roll towards it by accident, which u can also use to limit how they get up for MORE strategy, not less).

Revven

FrankerZ
That still limits the strategy, and it doesn't change the fact that there is nothing wrong with the bananas.
I agree with this guy here, leave Diddy Kong alone. He's already got a huge nerf to him, and that's his recovery, he doesn't need a nerf to his bananas...

Ulevo

Smash Master
I definitely like Cape's idea. I've been thinking of a way to remove the banana lock infinite, which in my eyes makes permanent walk off stages (like Mario Circuit probably, but not Bridge). It's not too hard to set it up.
It has yet to have even presented a problem. It should be left alone. If it proves to become problematic, we can remove it.

And also think about it. Say your on the ground, and someone throws a banana peel at you. Do you instantly pop up and land tripped again? no. Sure, a lot of smash doesnt make sense with real life lol, but come on, you already tripped, why trip when ur on the ground. Make it so the banana still does damage, just not trips. Shouldn't be hard to change.
Chibo, I can't begin to explain how horrible of an argument that is. Please refrain from posting irrelevant reasonings for change. You read the sticky, right? :ohwell:

Revven

FrankerZ
Alright, this bad boy needs his Up B fixed when he hits the ledge. Speed up the blow up animation, when he hits the wall his jump refreshes so that way he can regain lost height and Side B. Sound good?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why? The character is mad beast on stage and requires little to relearn from Brawl to Plus. His recovery is not that horrible that he could be classified as a mother boy. After playing a few diddy's at Hobo 18 last night, I kinda realize if you're beast with diddy in Brawl, you're going to be even better in plus because his metagame works pretty much the same, but if he connects a hit, now he can combo. And he has a Side B jump that aids his recovery. <_>

shanus

Smash Hero
Alright, this bad boy needs his Up B fixed when he hits the ledge. Speed up the blow up animation, when he hits the wall his jump refreshes so that way he can regain lost height and Side B. Sound good?
Lol no way that would make it soooo easy to recover

diddy = beast

just make the tumble time on an aerial hit out of up b a bit less if he needs it (which i dont think he does)

Revven

FrankerZ
just make the tumble time on an aerial hit out of up b a bit less if he needs it (which i dont think he does)
Well, about that last part, according to Guy you said to him that we would fix the Up B. I don't know how true that is, but, I think we should cut down on the lag on it when he gets hit like you said. I was trying to tell him Diddy is beast onstage, he says he hates it when people say that and use it as an excuse to not fix his recovery... so would you please talk to him? More importantly, the other people in the IRC about his Up B? Naucitos is *****ing about fixing it too (or rather, he did when it was brought up). I was telling them because of how good he is onstage I saw no need, but then Guy said you said to him we would fix it...

Soooo yeah.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
If his recovery gets fixed he needs some kind of nerf. Diddy is already waaaay better than the other characters with garbage recoveries in this game (barring Olimar), and his isn't even that bad.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If you want to nerf the guy, reduce the god **** shield stun of the nanners because nanners tactics are so much more powerful simply because of shield stun giving him such leniency to perform his common tactics.

IN exchange for a better recovery that is. Though even still, its not really a balanced trade off.

shanus

Smash Hero
Well, about that last part, according to Guy you said to him that we would fix the Up B. I don't know how true that is, but, I think we should cut down on the lag on it when he gets hit like you said. I was trying to tell him Diddy is beast onstage, he says he hates it when people say that and use it as an excuse to not fix his recovery... so would you please talk to him? More importantly, the other people in the IRC about his Up B? Naucitos is *****ing about fixing it too (or rather, he did when it was brought up). I was telling them because of how good he is onstage I saw no need, but then Guy said you said to him we would fix it...

Soooo yeah.
Hell, I don't ver remember saying that. And I've always had a pretty firm stance on Diddy lol

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, you need to settle some things with those people in the IRC. Because I honestly don't want any of us to be held responsible for promising something to be fixed in the next set.

Though, we should do a SMALL fix to it, not something that'll make him have a better recovery overall.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
idk damage nerfs to reduce the shield stun on nanners? They're not used for the damage output. They're used for the tripping function ie its gimmick. And in a game that is combo-heavy and diddy has a fast moveset that allows for natural combos, its not like it hurt him at all. He'd just wrack up damage slower, and even so, as long as Diddy keeps up the glide tossing, he'd probably be able to continue the nanner > nanner > bthrow for longer to regain damage lost from damager nerfs to nanners. :V

In that sense, diddy might become harder to play and requires more skill to keep momentum and better finger dexterity to keep up the pace of nanner games.

Revven

FrankerZ
We can't change the damage on them, no hitbox data for Magus to do hex editing on them nor can we access them in PSA.

Which is why I said it isn't doable. If it was/is, then we can nerf them in shield stun/damage and then fix his recovery A LITTLE so that it still takes skill to recover with him but they don't just simply die at 0% from hitting the wall.

Top Bottom