• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong frame data

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'll add get up actions and such later. I also didn't test anything for invincibility; I'll add that later as well. If there's anything I'm missing that seems important (note: it must be stale move independent so not something like hitstun), I'll add it in.

jab1:

hits: 3
duration: 17
earliest link to jab2: 5

jab2:

hits: 6
duration: 21
earliest link to rapid jab: 9

rapid jab:

hits: 10 (this is the kick before the tail swipes)
duration: 55 (only tested once)

ftilt:

hits: 10
duration: 37

fsmash:

hits: 12
duration: 47
charge release: 4

utilt:

duration: 24

usmash:

hits: 5
duration: 50
charge release: 4

dtilt:

hits: 4
duration: 18

dsmash:

hits: 6 (front), 15 (back)
duration: 52
charge release: 5 (front)

dash attack:

hits: 9
duration: 23
This move can pick up banana peels on frame 1.

nair:

duration: 49
landing lag: 13

uair:

hits: 3
duration: 41
landing lag: 21

fair:

duration: 47
landing lag: 30

bair:

hits: 5
duration: 30
landing lag: 12

dair:

hits: 13

Peanut Popgun (grounded and aerial):

hits (minimum charge, minimum range): 14
cancel with shield: 14 (can't be done if shot has already been fired or gun has exploded)
duration (minimum charge): 38
explodes in Diddy's face: 174 (only tested once)
explosion helpless duration: 109 (only tested once)
move continues execution if landing occurs during use

Monkey Flip:

hits (with grab): 19
duration (no kick): 43
early in move, continues execution after landing; while coming down, has only normal (2 frame) landing lag (no kick)
earliest frame to input kick: 11
last frame to input kick: 42
kick hits (after kick input): 4
duration (after kick input): 32
landing lag (during kick): 18

Barrel Cannons:

hits (minimum charge): 8
hits (maximum charge): 98 (only tested once)
earliest "barrel counter" frame: 8
Move continues if landing occurs during charging

Bananas:

hits: 20 (this is the first frame the banana peel exists)
duration: 39
Move continues execution if landing occurs during use

NOTE: "smash" and "tilt" item throws have the same frame data across the board

Item throw forward (tested with banana peel):

hits: 7
duration: 20

Item throw up (tested with banana peel):

hits: 11

Item throw down (tested with banana peel):

duration: 18

Item throw back (tested with banana peel):

hits: 9

Standing grab:

duration: 29

Running grab:

hits: 10

Pivot grab

hits: 8
duration: 35

Pummel:

hits: 2
duration: 19/20 (you can't buffer pummels during pummels; the earliest frame it accepts another pummel input is 20 which I suppose makes the duration 19)

Ledge climb (under 100%):

duration: 34

Ledge attack (under 100%):

hits: 28
duration: 55

Ledge jump (under 100%):

duration: 15

Ledge roll (under 100%):

Ledge climb (100%+):

duration: 59

Ledge attack (100%+):

hits: 50
duration: 69

Ledge jump (100%+):

duration: 19

Ledge roll (100%+):

duration: 79 (only tested once)

Jump:

duration: 4

Roll forward:

invincible: 4-19

Roll backward:

invincible: 4-19

Spotdodge:

duration: 25
invincible: 2-20

Airdodge:

invincible: 4-23

Glide toss can be done on frames 1-4 of a roll (either direction).

TreK

Is "that guy"
lol i thought it was a bump of the other one
this one's hella good. Thanks for your work =]

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I think the next thing we need to get is the trip frame data for each individual character.
indeed, starting from most used chars xD

and bro thanks for the throwing frames ts really useful and helpful to spotdodges!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
When a banana hits the opponent they trip, are vulnerable, then they roll/get up and are invulnerable, then they are vulnerable briefly again before regaining full control of their character.

What are the frames on this stuff? (Ie how long are you tripped and vulnerable for before you can recover, etc).

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Just throwing this out there, but I'd like to remind everyone that all characters have at least two different tripping animations: one activated by the banana peel's actual hit-box (i.e. when the banana peel is thrown or dropped on your opponent while they are grounded), and the other when they simply "slip" on your banana peel without taking any damage.

I know for sure that there are no invincibility frames during your opponent's actual rolling animation off either tripped state; I don't know for sure whether there are invincibility frames at the beginning of these rolls like there is for a portion of every character's stand-up animation.

Speaking of which, most of my opponents who have had significant Diddy Kong practice have been timing the invincibility frames on their stand-up animations so that banana peels will harmlessly pass through them in the event I whiff a banana lock attempt. However, what I have started to do is bait the stand-up animation, because there's a period - as AZ notes - where your opponents have a handful of frames of vulnerability before they can act. The problem as it appears to me with this strategy at the moment is that different characters have different lengths of invulnerability while standing up, and this sort of punishment more or less demands frame-perfect precision.

Uhhhh...does anyone want to research this?

Player-1

Smash Legend
Just throwing this out there, but I'd like to remind everyone that all characters have at least two different tripping animations: one activated by the banana peel's actual hit-box (i.e. when the banana peel is thrown or dropped on your opponent while they are grounded), and the other when they simply "slip" on your banana peel without taking any damage.

I know for sure that there are no invincibility frames during your opponent's actual rolling animation off either tripped state; I don't know for sure whether there are invincibility frames at the beginning of these rolls like there is for a portion of every character's stand-up animation.

Speaking of which, most of my opponents who have had significant Diddy Kong practice have been timing the invincibility frames on their stand-up animations so that banana peels will harmlessly pass through them in the event I whiff a banana lock attempt. However, what I have started to do is bait the stand-up animation, because there's a period - as AZ notes - where your opponents have a handful of frames of vulnerability before they can act. The problem as it appears to me with this strategy at the moment is that different characters have different lengths of invulnerability while standing up, and this sort of punishment more or less demands frame-perfect precision.

Uhhhh...does anyone want to research this?

When you throw a banana at your opponent they're vulnerable throughout the entire trip animation(I think), then when they roll/get up they get invincibility frames. When someone runs over a banana and slip they have invincibility frames at the beginning of the animation, then they're vulnerable, then they get more invincibility frames once they start to roll/get up

Dekar173

Justice Man
When you throw a banana at your opponent they're vulnerable throughout the entire trip animation(I think), then when they roll/get up they get invincibility frames. When someone runs over a banana and slip they have invincibility frames at the beginning of the animation, then they're vulnerable, then they get more invincibility frames once they start to roll/get up
Also, a lot of characters have a strange trip animation that makes them bounce above your dsmash (DK being one, but this isn't much of a problem as a good diddy will ALWAYS beat a good DK XD)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Also, a lot of characters have a strange trip animation that makes them bounce above your dsmash (DK being one, but this isn't much of a problem as a good diddy will ALWAYS beat a good DK XD)
actually, I've always felt that the DK Diddy matchup is pretty even, but this isn't the place for this talk.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Indeed.
Simple solution :
1) charge your dsmash
2) ????
3) Profit

Dekar173

Justice Man
Indeed.
Simple solution :
1) charge your dsmash
2) ????
3) Profit
It was more a reminder for those of us who haven't experienced it first hand ;) then again, this might be because of the character experiencing trip animation 2 instead of 1 (1 being when you throw the banana at them, 2 being when they actually just slip on it when it's on the ground, doing no damage).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Frame advantage is a phantom. It varies based on stale moves, and since in real games your useful moves are almost always at least somewhat stale (which definitely includes Diddy Kong's dash attack), it becomes a useless number.

However, do remember that attacks are active for more than one frame. If you hit with a later frame of a particular hit, you will have more frame advantage (or disadvantage as is usually the case). Especially with a move like Diddy Kong's dash attack, how often do you hit on the first frame it's active? I'd wager almost never.

Lastly, hitstun and blockstun are calculated based on launch speed and not move specific (there may be a few exceptions, notably Ganondorf's probably bugged up special). What's the point in measuring them when they are calculable? I don't know the formulas offhand, but I'm sure they're kicking around somewhere. The hackers mess with them so they'd be good people to ask. I make a point of this since I considered including such a thing, but I had to realize that it more than doubles the work and is ultimately probably a waste of time since it could be calculated instead of measured. I don't even know how well known the formulas are, but measuring non-fundamental values for a purpose other than deducing the underlying mechanics just seems like a bad approach to me.

Anyway, I'll get around to working out the tripping values eventually (by eventually I mean probably sometime this week). I checked out Diddy Kong's basic defensive options and will edit them into the main post (I think it's redundant work but it's no big deal). I was originally planning on checking out his ledge action invincibility and get up actions first, but as I think about it, the tripping stuff is probably more useful (and is definitely more fun to investigate).

EDIT: I did some initial investigation into tripping speeds, and I believe the "walk over the banana peel" trip rate is 29 frames for all or at least most characters. It's just a guess from measuring it to be that on Mario, Diddy Kong, Wario, and Captain Falcon. Unfortunately, hitlag makes measuring the other value a bit of a pain...

Mario: 29
Diddy Kong: 29
Wario: 29
Captain Falcon: 29

Top Bottom