• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Did Sakurai mean that everybody would have their own storyline? If so then they'll probably make up some story which somehow includes Diddy fighting chars in the game. I don't think that any char will have a specific role.

Del Money

Smash Champion
i used the word "role" by accident...my bad. i meant lke who Diddy's story will intersect with and such. like Mario's intersects with Kirbys, Peach, and Zelda. i dunno...mkae guesses, make up your own SE stories for Diddy. go nuts, i dont give a ****....so long as we're on topic

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'm still betting on the story being just one long continuous ride with different characters playable at different points...but today's update kinda changes that slightly. What with the ability to only save one of the two princesses, and having it somehow effect the story means they're putting branching paths in to some degree. I guess they really ARE making this a whole single player experience after all.

And I don't understand why anyone would want specific characters to NOT be in. That just seems silly to me. The more characters that are in the game, the more variety it has. I mean...assuming that they put everyone in that you WANT, would you then just want them to not add anyone else? So you can just have those three beat up each other over and over? Is that somehow more fun...?

MR.WIGZ

Smash Ace
diddys holding people hostage with his peanut gun when he notices wario making more money than him so he thinks of a plan to make money. conclusion: did ends up saving the other princess that wasnt chosen

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
it's hard to come up with one for diddy. i see him beginning with DK, a side scrolling level of the first level of DKC. Something happens to one of them (a la Mario) and that's where it branches off. Diddy is hard to think of something for him, but whatever Sakurai comes up with i'll like it anyway

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of DKC2. Diddy'll have to bust DK loose from some baddie's clutches, K. Rool (hey, a guy can hope) or otherwise. Or, maybe that's how it'll start out but he'll get sidetracked helping another character.

Well, who knows what Sakurai has dreamed up? I'll bet it's better than anything we've thought of yet.

Del Money

Smash Champion
i actually dont have anything to add...i just wanted to direct discussion...looks like it worked

oh and good point, Sinn

Diddy FTW

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm thinking we'll see something along the lines of DKC2. Diddy'll have to bust DK loose from some baddie's clutches, K. Rool (hey, a guy can hope) or otherwise. Or, maybe that's how it'll start out but he'll get sidetracked helping another character.

Well, who knows what Sakurai has dreamed up? I'll bet it's better than anything we've thought of yet.
I agree! Diddy's story will be either saving Donkey Kong or getting saved by. In Donkey Kong 64 all of the Kongs expect Donkey were locked away right?

The Brawler

Smash Apprentice
I'm so happy he made it to brawl thats gonna be so cool playing as him a WHOLE new type of character.. + we really needed more people from the Dk gang.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Thanks Del <3

Another thought that just came to mind...it seems a lot of people assume that each character's run through the story is going to be closely tied to their game plots. That intro stage mixes together three different series of games together though (four if you count the Ancient Minister), and I get the feeling that a lot of the game is going to be like that (remember the screen shot from a cut scene of Link with Yoshi). So Diddy, or anyone else's ultimate participation in the overall story could be something completely off the wall and unexpected.

spike9407

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Del <3

Another thought that just came to mind...it seems a lot of people assume that each character's run through the story is going to be closely tied to their game plots. That intro stage mixes together three different series of games together though (four if you count the Ancient Minister), and I get the feeling that a lot of the game is going to be like that (remember the screen shot from a cut scene of Link with Yoshi). So Diddy, or anyone else's ultimate participation in the overall story could be something completely off the wall and unexpected.
Diddy fights Snake?

boricuaboy

Smash Apprentice
I want to be a diddy fan and he will be the best brawl character and whoop evryone and be the first on the tier list :)

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
And I don't understand why anyone would want specific characters to NOT be in. That just seems silly to me. The more characters that are in the game, the more variety it has. I mean...assuming that they put everyone in that you WANT, would you then just want them to not add anyone else? So you can just have those three beat up each other over and over? Is that somehow more fun...?
Taking into account that there can only be so many characters in the game, the more characters that I don't like that are in means less space for characters I do like. Plus, there is the spite factor, which exists for characters I had never even heard of, yet seem to have a large fanatical fanbase around these parts for seemingly no reason (I'm looking at you Lucario). And finally, characters I simply think are dumb. Again, dumb characters being in means less space for non-dumb characters.

RDK

Smash Hero
This thread is made of win.

Taking into account that there can only be so many characters in the game, the more characters that I don't like that are in means less space for characters I do like. Plus, there is the spite factor, which exists for characters I had never even heard of, yet seem to have a large fanatical fanbase around these parts for seemingly no reason (I'm looking at you Lucario). And finally, characters I simply think are dumb. Again, dumb characters being in means less space for non-dumb characters.
*COUGH* IKE *COUGH* POKEMON TRAINER *COUGH*

Sorry. I think I had a crappy playable character caught in my throat.

Diddy FTW.

Del Money

Smash Champion
yes but you need to be taking into account that brawl has a large roster and that that roster is divided up among franchises. a character you hate from one franchise shouldnt affect the chances of a character you like appearing from another franchise...unless its the 3rd party or retro/other divisions like Pit for instance

Sinn

Smash Lord
But again...assuming that they put the specific characters you want in, do you really have a problem with anyone else? Like Del says, it seems that most people around here are saying 40 or 45 characters (I'm not sure where that figure comes from, personally).

And I think PT is a great addition. Its uniqueness beats the socks off of any other character so far for one, and it's an integral part of that series. I'm not gonna comment on Ike...I don't know enough about him, nor have I played any FE games yet.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I want to be a diddy fan and he will be the best brawl character and whoop evryone and be the first on the tier list :)
I know you probably weren't being serious, but we seriously can't determine the tier list until we've played the game.

It's ESPECIALLY silly and illogical to claim that he'll be top tier from the few screenshots we've been given along with the vague statements.

boricuaboy

Smash Apprentice
Too bad im not getting the wii and ssbb until next year i guess ill gave to watch youtube vids of diddy players kicking mario and samus players ***es
Andrew Im not serious im just excited about Diddy

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
But again...assuming that they put the specific characters you want in, do you really have a problem with anyone else? Like Del says, it seems that most people around here are saying 40 or 45 characters (I'm not sure where that figure comes from, personally).
Sakurai once stated that he would like to have a roster 40 strong for Brawl; if it was that size, he thought they would be doing well. Few people want to imagine less than 40 so the number just goes upwards as far as they dare to hope.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
yes but you need to be taking into account that brawl has a large roster and that that roster is divided up among franchises. a character you hate from one franchise shouldnt affect the chances of a character you like appearing from another franchise...unless its the 3rd party or retro/other divisions like Pit for instance
The character I hate from one franchise will affect other franchises simply by taking up slots. We don't know how the slots will be divided among franchises. Logically they'd be uneven, which would allow for characters to take up space that could have been occupied by characters from other franchises. The only way this is not so is if it's confirmed how many slots each franchise gets, and even then, it could still mean that slots were taken up by characters I don't like.

It's not like things are divided between "the 3 that I want" and "people I don't want." I also have "People I don't care about" and "People who are so likely I don't worry about them."

But hypothetically, if all three I wanted got in, I'd be fine. Mostly. I'd still look at certain characters and groan. Like I do with Melee.

Del Money

Smash Champion
The character I hate from one franchise will affect other franchises simply by taking up slots. We don't know how the slots will be divided among franchises. Logically they'd be uneven, which would allow for characters to take up space that could have been occupied by characters from other franchises. The only way this is not so is if it's confirmed how many slots each franchise gets, and even then, it could still mean that slots were taken up by characters I don't like.
wrong. i strongly doubt they fill up one franchise first before moving to the next. they probably alrady map out who the representatives of each franchise are going to be rather than filling up a franchise count and subtracting from total

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
As long as every franchise has the RIGHT representatives. Nobody wants Zant to take over for Midna or possibly another option like Baloon Fighter. It's possible to **** this roster up BIG TIME! But I'm sure they've got everything where it should be. And don't worry about the seperate franchises...if a franchise has a couple chars and another doesn't yet have one, it's going to them!

Edit: Scramble

BerDinosaur

Smash Cadet
Diddy Kong FTW! I've waited long for him to get into the SSB series. Man, I can't wait! That moveset and music set for him seems very realistic. I can picture it all.

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
wrong. i strongly doubt they fill up one franchise first before moving to the next. they probably alrady map out who the representatives of each franchise are going to be rather than filling up a franchise count and subtracting from total
I absolutely love how you say I'm wrong and then proceed to spout forth an assumption no more based on absolute fact than mine.

Besides, what you say is "probable" means that it still stands to reason that characters can take from other franchises. If they want a certain character, but this character ends up making the final roster larger than they want or can conceivably create, they must take from somewhere else, and if all the other characters from the same franchise can't be taken from (too iconic or something), they must take from somewhere else.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I absolutely love how you say I'm wrong and then proceed to spout forth an assumption no more based on absolute fact than mine.

Besides, what you say is "probable" means that it still stands to reason that characters can take from other franchises. If they want a certain character, but this character ends up making the final roster larger than they want or can conceivably create, they must take from somewhere else, and if all the other characters from the same franchise can't be taken from (too iconic or something), they must take from somewhere else.
no, im saying youre wrong because my assumption has practical reasoning behind it. you know why they didnt give us a fixed roster number? because they dont have a fixed roster size either. they are determining who from franchises is worth putting in. who can reasonable be given a moveset, and who the buyers of the game can recognize from the franchises as well as enjoy playing as. if you mean that other characters chances were lowered in ssb64 and melee, then yes. remember melee was rushed and franchise balancing was overlooked. this is NOT the case in brawl because Sakurai doesnt want the franchises to be unrepped in brawl. the ONLY things preventing a specific character from one franchise from showing up is:
1. lack of popular, significance, or fanbase
2. lack of creativity with character/moveset design
3. preference of another character from the SAME franchise
it has nothing to do with a character from another franchise lowering their chances

LightLink17

Smash Apprentice
no, im saying youre wrong because my assumption has practical reasoning behind it. you know why they didnt give us a fixed roster number? because they dont have a fixed roster size either.
Yet they don't have a "whatever" number either. You have to draw the line somewhere. They aren't about to come out with a hundred characters.

they are determining who from franchises is worth putting in. who can reasonable be given a moveset, and who the buyers of the game can recognize from the franchises as well as enjoy playing as.
Anybody can reasonably be given a moveset. That "criteria" isn't one.

if you mean that other characters chances were lowered in ssb64 and melee, then yes. remember melee was rushed and franchise balancing was overlooked. this is NOT the case in brawl because Sakurai doesnt want the franchises to be unrepped in brawl. the ONLY things preventing a specific character from one franchise from showing up is:
1. lack of popular, significance, or fanbase
2. lack of creativity with character/moveset design
3. preference of another character from the SAME franchise
it has nothing to do with a character from another franchise lowering their chances
Says you. Once again, based on assumptions that are no more valid than mine. Your entire froth hinges on the idea that there is no set limit, which of course there is. It may not be a solid number, but there is definitely a range. Further, some franchises are more important and/or popular than others, and that could cause certain characters from one franchise to be put in in place of somebody from another franchise.

RDK

Smash Hero
Says you. Once again, based on assumptions
....that have so far been correct.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to show for the side you choose. So far, the pattern for character inclusion Del has set in that post is, for the most part, true.

IMO, I don't think they gave us a final number because it's much more fun as a mystery that way. We don't know when Sakurai is going to stop.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Yep, I mean, what causes more hype: The 39th character of a confirmed 40, or the 39th character of an unconfirmed roster size? If we know there's only one more left, how many people would still be clamoring for their favorite farfetched possible inclusion?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
LL17 and Del
Just listen to eachother...
When Brawl is released...It is possible that later, one box will be seen as a bad rep and should've been given to another char...from a different franchise even! At the same time, the roster may be in mid downsizing or it may be downside accordingly already. Either way, they wouldn't tell us the EXACT number for the sake of surprise and secrets. Popularity, significance and fanbase are the main keys and that does not factor in other franchiseseseses... :dizzy:
The truth is that this isn't a Pokemon, Zelda vs Mario game and in Brawl (thus far) have dispersed the chars through appropriate franchises. Expect chars you've never seen and chars that are basically in due to obviousness. A character from one franchise will not take the spot from an un-repped franchise unless they aren't of FULL or second to, in terms of those^ 3 factors to their given franchise.

Top Bottom