• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

NeoSoul

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps it is just that they're popular? Plenty of older people I know are fans of peach, and Jiggs and Pichu were huge in Japan. Thus filling the requirement for being a Nintendo star.

I can't help but get the feeling, from a brief look at some of your past posts, that you only want and can accept the "cool" characters. You've made mention of Ridley, Dark Samus, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Ganondorf and... Gray Fox, for gods sake. Seems to me that the last choice especially indicates what you want. You want broody evil coolness, when Brawl is all about bringing together all of the stars of Nintendo, the majority of who do not fit this imagined category you appear to have.

Now, I just want to say that I would like to see the majority of those characters too, so I can agree with you on that stuff, but the idea that Diddy has taken away roles from more 'deserving' characters is ludicrous until we know the full lineup. And also, Black Shadow and Gray Fox are not more deserving characters. Diddy is in fact an icon of Nintendo. Those two are not. Nor is Mach Rider, nor is Black Knight. However, the retro aspects of Mach Rider mean that I'd like to see him in. And BK in if Ganondorf doesn't use a sword.

EDIT: And to say that Diddy's appearance is standard and not in any way unique while supporting Black Shadow, a generic evil rival, and supporting him to use a cloned Falcon moveset no less, is pure hypocrisy.
yes thats true.... its pretty crazy, I wont dispute the fact that diddy is a staple to an established franchise but I will add that I preffer tall, dark and muscular characters (no homo lololol) because the inner child inside me died

Sinn

Smash Lord
Gah, if I'da stayed awake for another half an hour...

In any case, awesome! I was really hoping he'd be added. I'm all about speed characters anyway, so he could be one of my new frequently used characters too. Though...I was also really hoping for Dixie (as an individual character, not alongside him), so this might mean they didn't put her in...but no matter.

Rocketbarrel Boost and Peanut Pop Gun...having personally only played the SNES games, I REALLY hope they remembered his cartwheel and make it his side special or something. I will spam the HELL out of that just for fun. I remember how you could use it off of platforms, so I hope it'll be used to aid his recovery too.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, I'm so far satisfied with the roster. I'm so glad they added Diddy, I was sort of skeptical about him appearing. But, now that he's in, I love him just about as much as I did for the spin-offs he appeared in. He's definitely gonna be one of my mains!

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Even though I'm one of many pro Lucario loons out there, I'm glad that Diddy made it in. It doesn't feel right to just have DK.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I say that August 22nd, 2007 should be considered the International Day of the Diddy in honor of this great announcement. YES! YES! YES!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
What does his Peanut Popgun look like?

I always imagine a wodden shotgun thing that shoots peanuts :ohwell:

EDIT:

Also, I think Diddy will be a kick *** aerial fighter! I don't know why, I just do :laugh:

Sinn

Smash Lord
lol.

Wouldn't it be neat (this is all based on assumtion) if Diddy could use his upB and use his Popguns as well; it would fend of edgeguards quite well.
O_O

That would be...quite evil...

And it would be unlike any upB so far...unless the upB is already the rocket AND the popgun by default. Which would still make it evilly delicious.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
wow! this is tight, althought I can't get over myself that Dixie didn't make it with him as the new duo bot seeing Diddy by himself made me realize he's much better off by himself so yead Diddy FTW!!

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Well, In don't mind him, so I'm glad the Diddy fans got there wish.

PS: If no one has pointed this out yet, the trainer hugely lowers mewtwo and jiggs return chance and greatly ups Lucarios.
I'm sorry, but no. If anything, the trainer lowers Lucario's chances and raises Jigglypuff and Mewtwo's. But this is off topic, congrats Diddy fans!

dark_templar_99

Smash Cadet
I love diddy kong. I hope he can ride the Rino from dkc, and i hope his cartwheel is in the game. I'll probably main as either Z-samus, PokeTrainer, Zelda, or Diddy Kong. Maybe i'll have 4 mains!

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Not surprised by him as a starter...who else would they have 0_o

I love how this was one of the main arguments
Against:
"His MS wouldn't be anything special"
For:
"It's not a matter of MS it's the way he moves that'll make his character"

There you have it, and a duo would have sucked, the idea was bad from the begining.

IC's and Bub&Bob would be enough!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
now I am wondering what his stage will be? if he even has one, but I hope it's not Rumble Falls that will act as his stage because I really do want to see a stage for him which would be awesome

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
NeoSoul
but look at the facts: petey pirahna, diddy kong, now I expect toadette, king boo, waluigi, daisy etc blah sakurai loses credibility as a creative mind...
Petey Pirahna isn't a playable character. And why would you expect Toadette when Toad's not a even in? Diddy isn't just another Mario sports character, he's a major DK character who's had a significant role in the DK series and even got his own spin off game.

The real problem you have was Diddy is that you don't like him. Too bad. The game isn't being made just for you. Diddy's in, get over it.

NeoSoul
sarcasm nice... cuz of diddy a cool character is not gonna get a spot.....
How's that? Diddy is a cool character, so his presence in the game means a cool character gets a spot.

NeoSoul
how many can honestly say that they will play as him let alone make it their primary character?
Probably a lot of people.

NeoSoul
because, hes giving into what people want instead of setting a standard with unique design
Yeah, he's trying to sell a product based on what the consumers want. My God, what an idiot...

NeoSoul
its obvious that diddy kong is there to appease the younger crowd to play the game, just like pichu, jigglypuff, peach etc
Even if that were true, what's wrong with appealing to the younger crowd? They also have more mature characters like Snake and Ike in the game. What's wrong with having characters directed at all different age groups?

You seem to dislike any cartoony type character... You do realise it's a Nintendo game, right? That's like watching the new Halloween movie and complaining that it's too violent. If you only like serious characters you'd be better of buying a PS3.

NeoSoul
but seeing diddy in the game means uber-sweet chars like mach rider, black knight, black shadow wont have representation in this series
Black Shadow is dumb, Black Knight could still get in, and Mach Rider's chances were never good anyway.

Chidosengan
Btw, you've notice we're getting alot of newcomers lately? Where's Metaknight?
I don't know, but I'm guessing Metaknight and Snake are hidden characters and they're saving hidden characters for last.

Nergal
Even though I'm one of many pro Lucario loons out there, I'm glad that Diddy made it in. It doesn't feel right to just have DK.
Are pro Lucario loons usually against Diddy or something?

Gamingboy
I say that August 22nd, 2007 should be considered the International Day of the Diddy in honor of this great announcement. YES! YES! YES!
A year from now most people won't even remember what month he was confirmed, let alone the day.

Pluvia
What does his Peanut Popgun look like?
It's a little brown pistol that shoots peanuts. In DK64 he had two of them, one in each hand. On smashbros.com it just says "Peanut Pop Gun", so I'm assuming he only uses one in Brawl.

RVD_fan
PS: If no one has pointed this out yet, the trainer hugely lowers mewtwo and jiggs return chance and greatly ups Lucarios.
Wtf does that have to do with Diddy?

WFL

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is definitely going to be one of my alts or maybe even my main if Black Knight isn't in Brawl, knock on wood. Anyone who can shoot peanuts or use a jetpack while playing tennis deserves a spot in brawl.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Where is Dixie?! Well, i guess it wouldn't make sense for another tagteam character after pokemon trainer.

I just have a feeling that Diddy is going to play like Pikachu with Fox's specials.

Peanut Poppers=Laser
Jet Barrel= Fire Fox
Chimpy Charge=Fox Illusion

In the picture where he is attacking Link, it looks like he stole Pikachu's forward tilt. We will see.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yah, congratulations guys!

...wait....lemme retract that for a moment...

Yah, congratulations to everyone EXCEPT those who found it to disrespect Ridley in the process. I'm pro-Ridley, but I came here to see the joyous celebration and any naysayers getting pwned.

So three cheers for Diddy and high-fives to all those who got their wish.

...Except to those who spouted anti-Ridley banter. For you guys, I hope Diddy feels LOUSY in your hands when you finally play him!

Salaad

Smash Ace
****, I wish my area didn't get a black-out last night...W00t! Diddy!

I would've loved to see all those Diddy-haters go nuts last night. xD

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
long time lurker 1st time poster here a lot of franchises only got 2 if not 1 representitive unless it was a bigger franchise than most like mario or zelda so do you guys think K. Rool is gonna show up or not?
If he dosen't at least I've got Diddy man am I glad and today is only 3 days away from my birthday I wonder what else will show up in the big 3.

Caael

Smash Lord
O YA! I'm changing my avatar to diddy now, I'm happy! :) My monkey for the f***ing epic win! And I love the name, all those f***ers can suck it! :laugh: :p :)

LOL at you hugging your emo sister! XD After xianfeng started this thread, it's finally done! Yes, our insane biased, dedicated, and extremist fanbase has done it! WE HAVE WON THE WAR! :)

F*** YES! After hearing Peepy say "Do a Barrel Roll!" "And Do A Backflip" for so long, I finally did both, multiple times! :laugh:

And that's nothing xianfeng, I screamed so loud my mother thought she heard a robber, and came out with a lamp, and I poped up, and she freaked out [I'm not that ugly *takes off mask*]. HEHE, this is a sign of good things to come. This alone makes Brawl better than Melee! :)
War? What war? It's not a 'race to see who gets posted first'! There's no way to change that! My god, what is wrong with you? I'm happy for Diddy too, but war? It was nothing to do with your fanbase. If it was to do with fanbases, Ridley would have won by far, with 7500+ posts, our own forum for him, and many, many supporters.

Yay, diddy and w/e. This guy spoiled my mood.

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
War? What war? It's not a 'race to see who gets posted first'! There's no way to change that! My god, what is wrong with you? I'm happy for Diddy too, but war? It was nothing to do with your fanbase. If it was to do with fanbases, Ridley would have won by far, with 7500+ posts, our own forum for him, and many, many supporters.

Yay, diddy and w/e. This guy spoiled my mood.
Awww... c'mon, he's just having a bit of fun. After all, this is a day for celebration. Beautiful, glorious celebration.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
i am very glad to see diddy kong in brawl. I soo hope Bowserlick isn't right about him having pikachu's movement and fox's specials. even if they are really similar specials to fox, I would bet they make diddy's moves act and react in different ways. i wonder what will his down-b will be? do you think he throws out banana peels or maybe has a healing/protective move? my guesses for his moves are that the Barrel Boost is obviously Up-b, and the peanut popgun is neutral-b. If they do make his side-b the chimpy charge, I certainly hope its not just another "charge up and headbutt attack" like so many other characters already have. Anyways, all in all, this is totally a reason to get excited. yay diddy!

thehowielife

Smash Cadet
Why is everyone so stupid about this? If they were going to put anybody in from the DK clan it was going to be Diddy! Why did everyone not know this?

boricuaboy

Smash Apprentice
I think Diddy is the first best character in the Dk series not Dk.. That was the best brawl update that they've had so far.. Diddy would not be a Dk clone but he would kill Dk anytime lol

Top Bottom