• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Hump Grab Release (DHGR)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well I was expermenting with this the other night. I was in training mode and I got the idea that maybe you can DHGR into a spike. Well of course it works on a computer. Anyone willing to try this on a human? Also, I noticed that diddy's normal GR will get the same trajectory as his DHGR when it's not DI'ed. I may be wrong on this, but if you DI during a GR, the DI will be seen after the release, when you DHGR, all the DI your opponent is might just go, and only go, to right then and there, as Paool showed us in the "gow to be Pro with Diddy part 2" guide, so that none of the DI will be used after your opponent is released. Now this is just a hypothesis so if someone could test it out, that'd be great.

Now the 2nd thing I found with this, is while playing a Snake player, I Diddy humped him while he was recovering with his up-b, then he broke out and he fell to his death. It could have been that he just didn't up-b for some reason, but I think what happened is that the DHGR takes away his up-b just like a normal GR would. I thought this was pretty cool and thought I'd share it with you guys.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Did SOME messing around, I think this depends on the height of the character. For example, if you DHGR MK, then when the release happens you let go and have landing lag when you hit the ground. Need to check what would happen against CF or something.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Did SOME messing around, I think this depends on the height of the character. For example, if you DHGR MK, then when the release happens you let go and have landing lag when you hit the ground. Need to check what would happen against CF or something.
I had this problem some of the time when I was messing around with it, try jamming your control stick as soon as you hit the ground to a spike. It worked better that way for me, also this didn't work on fast fallers when I was trying it. You'll have to try some other edguarding tatic for others.

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
Now the 2nd thing I found with this, is while playing a Snake player, I Diddy humped him while he was recovering with his up-b, then he broke out and he fell to his death. It could have been that he just didn't up-b for some reason, but I think what happened is that the DHGR takes away his up-b just like a normal GR would. I thought this was pretty cool and thought I'd share it with you guys.
Snake player was lazy, if snake is at a high enough percent and you knock him low enough, he can't recover in time, but he can up+b after he's hit

IDK

Smash Lord
thought of this a while ago when thinking about marth's grab release tricks, but i found nothing with it. you can still learn what is happening if you are diddy's opponent, and wait to DI, or just KEEP DIing.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Snake player was lazy, if snake is at a high enough percent and you knock him low enough, he can't recover in time, but he can up+b after he's hit
He never got hit...it's a grab release. Anyway I did the DHGR to another snake player and he couldn't recover either

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
He never got hit...it's a grab release. Anyway I did the DHGR to another snake player and he couldn't recover either
Diddy Hump has the same properties as a normal grab. You can also DHGR and immediately foot stool the opponent, or even footstool barrel spike. Just did that today in a match :p

:monkey:

cycon365

Smash Apprentice
whoops, read it wrong, but yes, if you grab release after he uses up+b, he cannot use it, so now i'm a little worried about Diddy mainers

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Now that was nasty.. so you just follow it up with a footstool hmm do you have just mash jump or just wait till you're above them

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So basically it is better to grab release someone if you DH them off the stage and then immediately footstool then to simply press the jump button or A button? Does the footstool work 100% of the time or is it dependent on DI or something?

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm wondering that too.. It would be a great out of random kill if the opponent tries to be too agressive.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Diddy Hump has the same properties as a normal grab. You can also DHGR and immediately foot stool the opponent, or even footstool barrel spike. Just did that today in a match
I have been telling people about this for a while now and I get ignored, but when NinjaLink does it everyone is amazed. I guess its because he is Better and KooLer..... oh wells :urg:

Any ways good stuff at C3 NinjaLink, and thnx for the vids vs MK I know I definitely need help in that match up.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Diddy Hump has the same properties as a normal grab. You can also DHGR and immediately foot stool the opponent, or even footstool barrel spike. Just did that today in a match :p

Will Diddy always get the footstool first or does the other person have a chance of footstooling diddy? I've died a few times when I diddy hump them and they break out before I get low enough for it to kill and they footstool me.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
it goes by grab release frames. MK has a disadvatange so it'll work on him if u time it right. Others they can attack but its usually not a good idea being most chars has only 2 jumps

And advent they are amazed at who i did it to.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I did some testing against a human opponent and I'm almost certain it's inescapable against Metaknight.

To test it, I got the MK player to hang off the ledge while I ran off the stage and monkey flipped back, grabbing MK while he held the ledge. The two fall down a bit til MK releases, and I was able to footstool MK every time. I'd have to retest this against a few different people and get them to test a few different ways, but otherwise I'm pretty confident in my conclusion.

Might also have to slow it down to quarter speed just to be sure Diddy can do it before MK has a chance to react.

If it's escapable, it's very difficult to recover from. NL states a valid point when he says using an aerial to get out of that situation isn't going to be the best option for the opponent.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I did some testing against a human opponent and I'm almost certain it's inescapable against Metaknight.

To test it, I got the MK player to hang off the ledge while I ran off the stage and monkey flipped back, grabbing MK while he held the ledge. The two fall down a bit til MK releases, and I was able to footstool MK every time. I'd have to retest this against a few different people and get them to test a few different ways, but otherwise I'm pretty confident in my conclusion.

Might also have to slow it down to quarter speed just to be sure Diddy can do it before MK has a chance to react.

If it's escapable, it's very difficult to recover from. NL states a valid point when he says using an aerial to get out of that situation isn't going to be the best option for the opponent.
think about why MK gets ***** by aerial grab release. Yoshi infinite, ZSS infinite, marth to fair, sheik to DAC upsmash, i think falcon to knee. Its beause he cant move. Look at my sig closely. Hes still in the grab release animation.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
think about why MK gets ***** by aerial grab release. Yoshi infinite, ZSS infinite, marth to fair, sheik to DAC upsmash, i think falcon to knee. Its beause he cant move. Look at my sig closely. Hes still in the grab release animation.
Yeah. I used the right side of Hyrule Temple to test it as well so I could see what was going on.
I think it's safe to say MK can't get out unless Diddy screws up.

Top Bottom