• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did your opinions on Miis change after their reveal?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Gonna make a Captain Falcon Mii since he won't be returning :)

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I figured they were going to be fun to play as. Thing is, they are such blank slate characters (in Nintendoland they do exactly what some Nintendo characters do themselves, like Link or Samus afterall), that they can be made specificly for Smash's gameplay. I rather expected them in once I heard about customizable movesets.

They are much better than I expected as I expected them to have just basicly punches + kicks (kind of like Mario, Captain Falcon, and most other characters that don't have weapons with special moves of their own). However it seems they'll have swords+ arm cannons now too. Link + Meta Knight got me into Swords, and Samus + Megaman made me like Arm Cannons, so it'll be fun to use Miis against those characters. I would like to see some gameplay though....

As for customization, I hope I can make the Tron-like costume have green lights instead of cyan lights. We'll just have to see.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
My opinion is still "ehhhh...meh." While I do like the class idea and they look fairly fun to play, I'm disappointed at the Smash-original moves over using stuff from Mii games (WHERE IS MY COW STAMPEDE?!)

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
But we have to consider as well how high the characters you mentioned are on Sakurai's list to warrant them an inclusion; or if they are on said list at all.
Yes... but honestly... There's a correlation between franchise sales and Smash representation.

Donkey Kong games have over 70 million in sales. If Dixie Kong and K Rool weren't on Sakurai's list, then Sakurai f***ed up. We know Dixie Kong was considered for Brawl, so it's seems quite likely that DK was considered for more slots, and it's hard to say that they're "too niche" given the high sales of the series.

We know from Sakurai's statements that there are certain criteria he considers:

Hardcore Nintendo fan popularity/overall popularity
Move set possibilities (how unique, how interesting, how easily designed)
Roster diversity
Series developer input (especially for Pokemon and Fire Emblem)

What he hasn't said, but what I assume is also there is marketing appeal. Which means that sales figure in, not just how popular the character is, but how much sales that character can drive.

Miis lack a lot of popularity among the hardcore Smash fans, but they're popular and certainly are good for marketing. But they undeniably are not notable for their move set possibilities (hence why he made up their move sets whole cloth, largely borrowing from other Smash characters) or roster diversity (or at least, adding two extra Mii move sets doesn't add to that).

The other characters I mentioned can only be said to be lacking in overall popularity or marketing appeal. They are more popular among hardcore Smash fans, they are more unique, they bring more diversity than adding extra Mii move sets.

That's just not a question.

And blaming Sakurai for overdoing the Miis in hope of mass market appeal, rather than picking characters that appeal to the base, and bring more diversity, makes perfect sense to me.

I honestly don't think that adding extra Mii move sets could possibly drive more sales than adding some characters with their own fans. You already get most of the people who would be interested because of Miis when you add the first Mii moveset.

And really, you're not going to placate people by saying that their character wasn't worthy of inclusion anyway.

And like I said... you're not just saying that they're not worthwhile compared to adding Miis... You're saying they're not worthwhile compared to adding a second or third cobbled together Mii moveset.

Obviously if Sakurai made the decision, he didn't consider them worthy in some way. What the Mii haters are going to be thinking is that Sakurai made his decision based on lowest common denominator mass market appeal, trying to win back some of the casual Wii crowd which has abandoned them, instead of pleasing the longtime Nintendo diehards. The people who are keeping the Wii U afloat in the first place.
I'm just gonna say that I do think as well that a game with a roster as vast as Smash can afford a couple of odd choices,
A single Mii and Wii Fit Trainer would be a couple of odd choices.

Three slots for one bland character which is obviously a choice made on mass market appeal, not on appeal to the Smash fanbase, is not just a couple of odd choices. And it makes sense to be irked by it.

Exceus

Smash Rookie
It actually sparked interest for me. I actually really enjoyed the attacks, and there's nothing wrong with customization.

I'd prefer a realistic character style, but, whatever.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
A part of me wishes there was a more generalised Mii with moves based on their games (I never understood why anybody thought it would be weird to see them fighting), but I do like the new approach.

I really hate all the negativity toward Miis. Personally, I'm indifferent to them, but Smash Bros. should have a representative cast of Nintendo all-stars, so their inclusion is unquestionably justified.

It's one thing to dislike a character, but to act with such passion and vitriol toward something so incidental is utterly pathetic, and people should be embarrassed for themselves. Why does everybody have to be so opinionated? Can't you just be indifferent to the things you don't like? Grow up, and learn to save your hatred for things that actually deserve it.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
A part of me wishes there was a more generalised Mii with moves based on their games (I never understood why anybody thought it would be weird to see them fighting), but I do like the new approach.

I really hate all the negativity toward Miis. Personally, I'm indifferent to them, but Smash Bros. should have a representative cast of Nintendo all-stars, so their inclusion is unquestionably justified.

It's one thing to dislike a character, but to act with such passion and vitriol toward something so incidental is utterly pathetic, and people should be embarrassed for themselves. Why does everybody have to be so opinionated? Can't you just be indifferent to the things you don't like? Grow up, and learn to save your hatred for things that actually deserve it.

I assure you, the hate for the Miis will go down once everyones Ridleys and K Rools and such are announced later.

As of right now they are simply taking their frustration out on the most relevant thing.

Inb4 people who complain about the Miis "waisting a slot" try and main them.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I really don't care either way. If they weren't in, then so be it, but they are. Whatever.

They aren't going to be playable on the "With Anyone" mode Online, so it's not that big of deal.

katastrophic

Smash Cadet
NNID
katastrophic
3DS FC
3308-4726-7643
Badgraphics is right. This negativity towards Mii Fighters is ridiculous.

In my eyes , miis have been Nintendo all-stars since 2006. Their role in Wii Sports means they'll always be associated with the original Wii's crazy success. Since then they've been all over Nintendo's games, consoles, etc. I was never a huge fan for them or anything, but it's kind of silly to not have expected an inclusion in smash bros.

Those of you complaining about fighting miis online can stop panicking since they will only be playable in With Friends mode.

And of course, those currently mourning the "slots" wasted by the Mii Fighters' varied movesets should consider the fact that every character in the game has the equivalent of three movesets because of the game's customization feature. On a side note, it's a little pathetic that we still believe Sakurai works within a set amount of "slots" that he just fills out at random.

If you don't like the way they look or that they're a little bland or something, that's perfectly fine. However, some of the other reasons I've seen are laughable.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
And of course, those currently mourning the "slots" wasted by the Mii Fighters' varied movesets should consider the fact that every character in the game has the equivalent of three movesets because of the game's customization feature.
Each of the three Mii variations also has 12 special moves, so I don't see what your point is. Each Mii variation also has a distinct set of normal attacks.
On a side note, it's a little pathetic that we still believe Sakurai works within a set amount of "slots" that he just fills out at random.
Well, that's not something I ever said. I don't think Sakurai ever decided "the roster will be 50 characters!" and then filled it out accordingly. He might decide "We're going to add another Pokemon" and then pick a candidate from the Pokemon (in fact, he said basically that with Greninja: they decided they were going to add a Pokemon from X & Y, and then later decided which one). But that's different from the overall roster.

But the fact is that he has limited development time and resources. That shouldn't be a controversial statement. In every previous game, we know that he came up against those constraints, and characters didn't make the cut. Bowser, Mewtwo and Dedede were planned for 64... They didn't have time, so they were dropped. Jigglypuff got the spot, not Mewtwo. They wanted to add more characters to Melee... they didn't have time for six unique characters, they had time for one unique character or six clones, so he picked the clones. Time constraints resulted in Falcondorf, and supposedly King Dedede was left out again due to time constraints.
In Brawl, there's the Forbidden 7.

And every character that was higher priority was partially responsible for those characters not making it in. If they hadn't spent time on Ness, maybe Bowser would've been in Smash 64. Or if they hadn't put in the Melee clones, we might've had Dedede. If we hadn't gotten, say, Snake or ROB, maybe we would've seen Mewtwo or Dixie or Toon Zelda.

This does not require some arcane logic, it's pretty obvious that time spent on one thing could've been spent on something else.

None of that requires thinking that Sakurai works with a set number of slots for anything. And not all characters are created equally... Olimar and Game & Watch clearly weren't the same amount of work to make. So obviously it's not a precise one-to-one relationship where every character is interchangeable with another in terms of dev time.

The one thing you can say about the Miis is that they were maybe a bit less work than other characters, since they have less complicated move sets. I was going to say they had simpler models, but with all the extra costumes that's not really true.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Bandana Dee is probably one of the more less work intensive characters to make for smash. He's simple, and he has a weapon with a specific purpose- Long range gameplay (and maybe a few ranged spear attacks). Gameplay balance is probably the hardest hurdle for Bandana Dee to overcome since every character must struggle with that. So I don't think programming is an issue, compared to someone like Ridley for an Example (of course Ridley has the "all star" power to overcome that if he does get in, as he's one of the few easily recognizable characters left). Bandana Dee might not be as simple as Game & Watch or Jigglypuff, but he's pretty darn close.

His importance for the beginning of SSB4's development is probably what kills his chances the most. As right now he's been getting rather popular, and he's obviously important to the Kirby series now.

I was dreading the idea, because in my mind Miis are still just ugly avatars with sweaters and ball-hands.

And had that been what we got, I would have been disquieted! Fortunately, Sakurai is a creative man and he turned the Miis into a fighter I'd actually be enthusiastic to use. The trailer was humorous, too. I loved the Lincoln, Elijah Wood and Ice-T "join the battle" screens.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Wow, you guys are a butt hurt bunch, aren't you?

I guarantee at no point was the phrase "we'll cut character X for miis" ever said. Miis had a chance to be in brawl too, get over it, you know they look like fun.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wow, you guys are a butt hurt bunch, aren't you?

I guarantee at no point was the phrase "we'll cut character X for miis" ever said. Miis had a chance to be in brawl too, get over it, you know they look like fun.
That phrase in particular was likely never said, but resources have to be dispersed and evaluated. At the time that they decided, "Okay, we're going to put customizable Miis in," they also decided to deter those resources from actual brand characters' development as a result. Every choice has a consequence.

I think the Miis will be a fun addition, but they won't likely be used competitively by anyone, and thus I'm a little upset that they're getting the go-ahead in place of someone else they could have worked on instead. Considering that they came up with three entirely different movesets to accommodate the Miis, they likely could have used that time and effort to create one or two other characters instead, and chose not to.

That is why some people are "butt hurt".

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I wanted them to be playable because I knew they'd be unique and potentially give me custom movesets.

I got what I wanted.

I've grown a big attachment to my Mii for some time now and main that "character" in Mario Kart Wii, 7 and now 8. I hope there's a costume to where the gear they sported in Mario Kart 8. Love that design.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Always wanted them. Can't wait to beat players up with Regi!

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
I was neutral regarding Mii's until E3. I'm thinking about maining Reggie now (Got his Mii on Miiverse).

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Three versions of the Mii shouldn't been as "three character slots" - it obviously takes less work to make than three completely different characters. They use the same character model and will share some of the same animations. It's not the same as making three characters from scratch.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
When they got announced, I honestly couldn't be more indifferent
I'd never dislike a chararcter (because why would I dislike on a new fighter that adds new perspectives into the game? Makes no sense to me)

But after learning more about them, instead of being indifferent, I'm now a fan

D

Deleted member

When they got announced, I honestly couldn't be more indifferent
I'd never dislike a chararcter (because why would I dislike on a new fighter that adds new perspectives into the game? Makes no sense to me)

But after learning more about them, instead of being indifferent, I'm now a fan
I felt the same way, except I started to like them when I saw the trailer. If Miis were usable online, I'd probably main Mii Gunner.

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
The moment they revealed Miis, I felt the gaming snob in me arise and scoff at what would no doubt be an incredibly bland character.

Then they showed me the three fighting styles, and now the gunner is my most anticipated character, hands down. Smash bros announced a lot of cool characters, but until E3 nobody whose fighting style looked particularly interesting.

Dose Gunner ariels tho...

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
No, not really. I do like that they gave them a wide array of fighting styles to choose from, but a Mii never seemed like a Nintendo All-Star to me, and never will. Especially when 2 of 5 I'll be seeing will be Jesus, Adolf Hitler and Reggie. However, I'll deal with them the same way I deal with Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart 8; ignore the characters you don't like and enjoy what you do like.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
I felt the same way, except I started to like them when I saw the trailer. If Miis were usable online, I'd probably main Mii Gunner.
Are you sure about that?? I can see them implemending some sort of reporting system that'll take care of Hitler like characters

Hopefully properly made celebs are allowed though (*cough cough* I want to make a Britney Spears character *cough cough*)

D

Deleted member

Are you sure about that?? I can see them implemending some sort of reporting system that'll take care of Hitler like characters

Hopefully properly made celebs are allowed though (*cough cough* I want to make a Britney Spears character *cough cough*)
No, it was confirmed that Miis will not be allowed when playing "With Anyone." They are allowed when playing "With Friends" however.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
No, it was confirmed that Miis will not be allowed when playing "With Anyone." They are allowed when playing "With Friends" however.
Yeah, I just saw it on the official website

What a bummer :\

Guess I'll have to be extra social now so that I can show off my characters haha

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I was really resentful when they were first announced, especially the 'moves enough for nine characters!' bit, but it all changes when I realized I could make and fight with a Waluigi Mii. The dream has come true.

ThePlayer77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Defenceknight
3DS FC
0559-6785-8830
Before the Reveal: Miis? Why would I want to play as one of those?

After the Reveal: What do you mean I can't play as a Mii at Best Buy?

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
At first I didn't like the possibility of Mii being in Smash. But after they were announced and I saw the awesome work Sakurai did with them I was amazed. I'll try them out, no doubt.

Sakurai said this exact words when they were revelead: "I think you can tell that the Miis are going to be just as competitive as the other characters". Online tournaments will require to befriend the people you are going to fight. And there is no restriction of usage for the Miis in local plays. Counting them out just because they can't be used online against random people couldn't be wise (unless you're planing to play only "with anyone" mode. Of course).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I was neutral towards the Mii. I was, however, interested in observing how Sakurai would make them work.

When Mii was revealed, I was not thrilled that three character spaces would be taken by the Mii and that the classes were generic builds of archetypes already established in Smash.

But the Mii are growing on me. First of all, I am aware that the Mii are going to extend the longevity of the game. There are many combinations of moves as well as the infinite faces that could be created.

Plus, from several pictures it seems apparent that body height can also be changed. So the Mii can really be tailored made to how you think you would fight in a Nintendo game. There are three very different classes to initially choose and then variations on the classes.

Looking at the big picture, Sakurai chose a very fascinating path for the Mii that ultimately will make Smash better of for having them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom