• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you think you were "good" when you first started?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

I was wondering if this is a normal habit players have when they first start playing the game in their steps from a casual player to a competetive one.
When I first started back in 2011, I used to find myself a decent, or at least, moderate/mid-evel player. I look back at that, and I realize how horrendous I used to be. I even used to feel good when I took a stock off mid-level players who I thought were "pros"...and that was on wifi. e_e

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
This made me go back and look at my old Wi-Fi replays as Ganon back when it was still day 1 of release. Oh god the memories.

It's weird how it almost looked the same as how I play him now, minus the fail offstage Warlock Punch attempts. Ganon felt just like a slower version of his Melee counterpart, so I guess I had an upper hand when coming into Brawl.

I always thought that I wasn't that great, and Ganon was just OP before I found out what tier lists were about 2 years later. My mind was blown.

Before Brawl came out, I had memories of years before hand being CPUs in melee fairly easily. Go into brawl after a few years and found lv3 cpu a challenge. Things have come far.

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I thought so in Smash 64. It was easy to beat lvl 9 CPU's with Link. But then Melee came and... Level 7 became hard. I was good at it then but now when I'm used to Brawl, I suck in SSB and SSBM. I don't think I were good when I played Brawl for the first time. I don't think I'm good now either.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I thought of myself as decent but I think the bigger thing people had was thinking their characters were top tier. I did, I know like every new person does it (unless their char is top tier already lol) and it takes a while to shake it off. :p

But yes, I thought I could perhaps have a shot at beating the pros then... Ahh man, it's been a long time. :p

Periwinkle

Smash Apprentice
God no, I sucked. That's what makes those old replays with my friends so hilarious, though; we were all terrible. I specifically remember matches between me and one of my friends, both as Captain Falcon, and there were these "combos" we would always employ that, back then, neither of us seemed able to break out of; one in particular was that, if either of us trapped the other person in Falcon's standard A rapid punches, we'd immediately crouch down and down tilt the other person over and over again, and it would take forever for the other person to get out of those tilts. I don't know why, but the sheer stupidity of it all makes me laugh so hard.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Hell no.I've only had the game for under a month,and still need to learn the ATs.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Obviously, no. When I first played the game, Level 5 CPUs were challenging enough. I have improved since then.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
When melee first came out my friends and I played the living hell out of that game. We played hundreds if not thousands of hours before discovering any 'advance players'

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Well, before I mained IC, I used to play Olimar because I liked pikmin.
Found a midhigh level comp player/s that kicked my butt when I played as him seriously againt them. I was basically a pubstar. Trained for months with IC in order to beat them reliably.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yes because I was, I mean sure there were pros and stuff but they are a very minute fraction of the overall Smash fanbase, and I was certainly a whole lot better than all the other ****. Basically anyone who is on this site is probably very good at the game, it's just they don't really realise it because this is where the best players of the game hang out. As in, best in the world.

It's like being good at an instrument and then thinking you suck because you're surrounded by concert professionals.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Yeah, you have to realize that smash is a gigantic game: You're probably in what, like, the top 10,000 players? Out of millions who play the game, that's not too shabby.

That said, I do feel bad when surrounded by concert professionals, to play to Teran's analogy because I know exactly what he mean and i agree, it's just of course i'm gonna say I was bad because i'm being very comparitive: Indeed, it's not so much the amount of people better/worse than me so much as the skill level: A top level player's probably gonna destroy a low-level player just as much they're gonna destroy a casual: Both matches will probably result in three-stocking.

Or if the low-level player is lucky I suppose a stock could be taken off the top player.... maybe... ? o.O

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
When I first played Brawl, I could beat my friend's Ganondorf with Diddy. While in Melee, he always used to slaughter my DK with his Ganondorf. So yeah, I innitially thought I was rather good. For a new player of coarse.

Yazoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
KYYazoo
3DS FC
4596-9950-4728
I thought I was God. Slight exaggeration, but I did think Wolf was the coolest thing ever. I was pretty young at the time, so I was 100% casual. Then I went through my No-Items-Fox-Only-Final-Destination phase that I'm still slowly crawling out of.

Looking at the old replays makes me feel like I'm visiting the Dark Ages, though.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well I had the advantage of picking up the game when it came out and having a bit of experience with competitive playing, so I focused on a single character I considered top tier material when everybody else was trying stuff. Back in those days, it was basically all it took to become your region's best diddy kong in a mere 2 months.

That said, the metagame has evolved much more than me for various reasons. I'm your average scrub now, except people know my name and respect me a lot more than they should.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I've known there are plenty of players who could thrash me since back when I was a kid casually playing Melee. When I first got into the tournament scene I could somewhat easily beat a level 9 CPU from constantly practising in order to beat my brother, so I at least thought I was "good" by casual standards.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I guess I did! When I first started playing, tilts were useless and so were certain advanced techniques. I believed smash attacks were the only useful moves other than recoveries. I approached straightforward but it worked for me because I played against people that sucked even more! XD
I'm a completely new player but it's still hilarious to think about back then ^^

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
no,I remember when I started,I mained ness and I just spammed pk thunder 2 with him in every match for my first 2 months of brawl.

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
Well, since I picked up the game because of seeing MLG Columbus videos, I entered the ''competetive'' aspect intimidately and I didn't find myself that good. However, before my first tourney, I thought that I could place fairly high. Looking back at those replays, I played HORRIBLY, and that was just last summer.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, since I picked up the game because of seeing MLG Columbus videos, I entered the ''competetive'' aspect intimidately and I didn't find myself that good. However, before my first tourney, I thought that I could place fairly high. Looking back at those replays, I played HORRIBLY, and that was just last summer.
Haha, I guess there aren't really any smash players who started off good. Smash is much for complex than most people think.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
I didn't know. I thought I was at least average. I didn't know anyone for a while who could challenge me as I'd just beat everyone with Jigglypuff. Still use her as a secondary. I've even taken 1 or 2 stocks off pros with her in recent times. But looking back.... I was horrible... I didn't know simple things like to use Marth's shield breaker to recover farther and still tried to sideb like melee.... It makes me sad to remember those days.

And for those still having trouble with CPUs I seriously suggest fighting level 9s with yourself at 300% via handicap. You will notice where you're going wrong and improve your spacing a lot more. Well it helped me anyways. Oh, and you might actually learn to implement footstools into your play. That or you'll just rage quit.

RNH

Smash Cadet
No, and I still need some work, its hard to alternate between this, Arkham City and Darksiders 2

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Yes, at first, I thought I'm a pro at brawl, I go every where, challenging any one who wants a fight, and taunt a lot, and I spam almost all the time to, but after getting owned by a good player, I start looking up videos on YouTube, and become competitive.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I thought I was the ****. It was so hard to just accept I was bad at this game and start working towards actually becoming good.

Vale

Smash Ace
I've always known I'm not top-tier, but I am at least good enough to beat everyone consistently on an extremely local scale.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I was wondering if this is a normal habit players have when they first start playing the game in their steps from a casual player to a competetive one.
When I first started back in 2011, I used to find myself a decent, or at least, moderate/mid-evel player. I look back at that, and I realize how horrendous I used to be. I even used to feel good when I took a stock off mid-level players who I thought were "pros"...and that was on wifi. e_e
I used to think that I was OK, but then... well... I found out how much I stank when I started to watch replays. Everyone has their mistakes.... many, many mistakes.....

D

Deleted member 189823

Last year, I had a friend who started playing and was extremely arrogant reguarding his skill-level. He used to think only the four better players could top him, and that he could beat everyone else even though he based himself 90% off online play and used to upload the matches he won only.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Last year, I had a friend who started playing and was extremely arrogant reguarding his skill-level. He used to think only the four better players could top him, and that he could beat everyone else even though he based himself 90% off online play and used to upload the matches he won only.
Wow you were friends with Izaw?

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
I really thought I was good, but then as I played more against higher level players and learned more about the game, I really became more aware that I had much much more to learn.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
LOL, nice one.
But Izaw's at least good, isn't he? Extremely tech-based and all?
I admit that guy destroyed me when we played, he is good, but he is not the best in the world as his fanboys think.

D

Deleted member 189823

That doesn't make you good.
I didn't exactly say it did, but I did kind of imply it. Anyhow, in his case, I very well think it does make him good. Or in most noticable European players, anyway.
In my case, I try to adapt a technical and somewhat flashy style. And yeah, I'm pretty bad besides that.

I admit that guy destroyed me when we played, he is good, but he is not the best in the world as his fanboys think.
Oh...in that case, wouldn't it be his fanboys the one at fault for hyping him? If I recall, I remember him making videos the way he does for the fun of it, he loves good material matches and likes to elaborate them into artistic-like matches.

Remember people who comment in Youtube usually seem to be rather casual people, or simple beginners.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
He didn't just upload the matches for the fun of it, he created the image his fanboys have on purpose by himself.
When our best Diddy Kong, Schwa beat Izaw quite badly in a mm and they had promised to upload the matches, Izaw secretly removed the replays while no one was looking.

[Catlord] Kazoto Skytear

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I thought I was decent. I could take on level 9 high tiers in about 2 weeks. But then versing two at once I sucked o-o

And now I'm out of practice since I rarely play anymore so yeah :p

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Oh, my terrible, casual past. :sonic:... yes, I mained Sonic. I actually didn't spam the homing attack. I was terrible, but I suppose decent for a casual. I was even able to beat my equally casual friend when he was Meta Knight with items.
I eventually got tired of Sonic, and went on Brawl hiatus.
Then a guy at school told me about Ocarina of Time. I loved it.
I decided that I NEEDED to represent Link, and everything kinda went from there. My videogame knowledge, my competetive Brawl knowledge... all from an old, cheesy N64 game. butwindwakerisstillthebestzelda
So on topic,
Reality = lolno
My thoughts = COME AT ME BRO YOUR TOO SLOW YOUR TO SLOW

Top Bottom