• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Did you seriously have overblown expectations for Smash 3DS?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Because all of this talk of "THE 3DS VERSION WAS A RIPOFF" and "THE WII U VERSION IS SO MUCH BETTER AND THIS IS A BIG DEAL" is so upsetting that it's hysterical. If you really did have THAT high expectations of Smash 3DS and they didn't deliver, it's your own fault.

Seriously, when has a handheld version ever been better than a home console version when both are released near-simultaneously? Name one example and maybe I'll understand you. It's just common sense, people; a 3DS Game Card isn't going to have as much memory space as a U Blu-Ray disc, so they're not going to fit everything on it. You should've just done the smart thing and waited for Smash U.

I'm not defending Smash 3DS. I'm just saying that I did the SMART thing and waited for Smash U instead of getting a version for a handheld which I'd rather play other types of games on.

Last edited:

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I bought the 3ds version simply because its smash bros i can carry around.

Even if it only had vs mode i would be perfectly fine. I do not care about the wiiu console or any other consoles and am very happy i can play it on handheld.

Even if its more bad than the console, its still very good. Look at the fail Sonic 3ds versions or the godawfull MicroRayman port.

Anyone whos whining about the 3ds version.. Really what the hell did they expect?

chucho

Smash Cadet
I too enjoy the fact that i can carry smash brothers around with me and but honestly people should not complain its a hand held system and for a hand held game. The game is very good.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Mario Tennis GBC had an entire story mode that the N64 lacked (and same for the GBA vs GCN versions), and I seem to recall Mario Golf being similar in that regard. No other cases spring to mind.

But both games are great. Smash at home, Smash on the go, and so on.

Raijinken

Smash Master
That was an awesome game omg.

The only thing I miss from the 3DS version is Arena Ferox =\
I miss Ferox, Brinstar, Gerudo Valley, Magicant, and Mute City, Balloon Fight, and, of course, Smash Run.
But yea, the console version is predictably better, but there is no way the 3DS version is objectively bad.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I only got my 3DS for Kingdom Hearts 3D. Smash for 3DS is just a bonus to that. If it was never made for 3DS I still wouldn't have gotten a Wii U or Smash for Wii U so I'm satisfied with the game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That was an awesome game omg.

The only thing I miss from the 3DS version is Arena Ferox =\
But the Fire Emblem colosseum in Smash U is nearly identical functionally.

Even though I'm probably not going to get Smash 3DS for the time being, I still think it's nice that you can play Smash on your lunch break at work/college.

I still think they should have done a Smash for the DS; I think it would've been Smash 64-level of good at the very least.

JGR

Smash Rookie
NNID
PhoenixVonKarma
3DS FC
0516-8363-0205
Smash 3DS actually exceeded my expectations.

I know I'm pretty much only going to be using this version of the game to play people who only have the 3DS version after I get the Wii U one, but I'm still pleased I got it. It's become my most played 3DS game by far and has been a great hands-on indicator for what the Wii U version will be like.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I had pretty low expectations for this game and was pleasantly surprised. I still think it could have been better, though it is a handheld, so it gets a pass. I don't currently plan on getting a WiiU, so this is fine for now. I'm just surprised that so many people tried to make Smash 4 3DS so competitive.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I had pretty low expectations for this game and was pleasantly surprised. I still think it could have been better, though it is a handheld, so it gets a pass. I don't currently plan on getting a WiiU, so this is fine for now. I'm just surprised that so many people tried to make Smash 4 3DS so competitive.
Competitive players are the REAL fans of Smash 3DS. They can actually practice their strategies on the go, then switch to Smash U when they get home.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Competitive players are the REAL fans of Smash 3DS. They can actually practice their strategies on the go, then switch to Smash U when they get home.
I get that and all, but the controllers are so different, I find it hard to switch from one to the other. I don't find it good practice at all, but it's really fun because it's a Smash game so I don't mind.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I get that and all, but the controllers are so different, I find it hard to switch from one to the other. I don't find it good practice at all, but it's really fun because it's a Smash game so I don't mind.
What we need is some sort of Circle Pad attachment that turns it into a control stick. The reasons why the 3DS doesn't have a real stick is because 1: it won't be able to fold, 2: it might break in your pocket.

If there's some kind of suctioncup 3rd party attachment that optimizes the circle pad, we could see more progress on that front. Otherwise, it's an adequate, not perfect, substitute.

SuperMaddud

Smash Rookie
Sakurai did a fantastic job with Smash 3DS, but, I wish it was never made. It decreased the amount of characters in smash u. Hoping dlc will fix it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sakurai did a fantastic job with Smash 3DS, but, I wish it was never made. It decreased the amount of characters in smash u. Hoping dlc will fix it.
By ONE.

Also, Smash 3DS isn't the cause of the Ice Climbers being cut, it's just an effect. Sakurai's decision to make both versions equal roster-wise is the cause, and also refusing to make a solo Ice Climber or 30 FPS simplified partner.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I replicate a lot of what people have said here - the 3DS was a great way to play smash that I can carry around and commit less time to other games where I need to sit in front of something.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
The two Sonic Boom games were entirely different. That doesn't count.
Fine. You win. But i didn't have big expectations for Smash 3DS.

No they are the same. They have the same name, same concept, and Shattered Crystal is a sequel. They are the same in the sense that Smash 3DS and Wii U are the same, and if not, every single handheld<->console game are entirely and completely different. And they aren't. So rather, just admit that you should be understanding someone now.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't understand what the problem is really. I got to play smash 90 days earlier than I should've been able to and Smash Run is an excellent and enjoyable mode to keep playing on.

Also I was at a tournament two days ago and we weren't allowed to play friendlies on the wii u, so we did the logical thing of playing on the 3ds. Still very much worth it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don't understand what the problem is really. I got to play smash 90 days earlier than I should've been able to and Smash Run is an excellent and enjoyable mode to keep playing on.

Also I was at a tournament two days ago and we weren't allowed to play friendlies on the wii u, so we did the logical thing of playing on the 3ds. Still very much worth it.
Someone here is smart.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
Because all of this talk of "THE 3DS VERSION WAS A RIPOFF" and "THE WII U VERSION IS SO MUCH BETTER AND THIS IS A BIG DEAL" is so upsetting that it's hysterical. If you really did have THAT high expectations of Smash 3DS and they didn't deliver, it's your own fault.

Seriously, when has a handheld version ever been better than a home console version when both are released near-simultaneously? Name one example and maybe I'll understand you. It's just common sense, .
Sonic Boom, Sonic The Lost World, all Pokémon games, are waaaaaay better in the 3ds, also SFXT is way better on the vita than the ps3..... So... yeah, a portable console sometimes can have better games

videojames

Smash Rookie
If they didnt make smash for the 3ds I probably wouldnt be playing smash seeing as i live in a college campus and i bet theres a lot of people like me. constant 60 fps smash on a 3ds whats there not to like

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
If they didnt make smash for the 3ds I probably wouldnt be playing smash seeing as i live in a college campus and i bet theres a lot of people like me. constant 60 fps smash on a 3ds whats there not to like
You wouldn't be playing because you're in college? I'm pretty sure Smash is huge in lots of colleges. At least, it is from what I've heard.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You wouldn't be playing because you're in college? I'm pretty sure Smash is huge in lots of colleges. At least, it is from what I've heard.
I participated in a little "For Fun" Smash 64 tournament at my college once. However, I was knocked out the first round because I don't own the game, not even on the VC.

MSDChaos

Smash Rookie
I actually appreciate the 3DS version more with the Wii U version out. It means I can pretty much carry the game around with me. (I like Smash Run as well.)

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
By ONE.

Also, Smash 3DS isn't the cause of the Ice Climbers being cut, it's just an effect. Sakurai's decision to make both versions equal roster-wise is the cause, and also refusing to make a solo Ice Climber or 30 FPS simplified partner.
Uh... I read somewhere that Sakurai said himself that they were having issues putting Ice Climbers in the 3DS version for some reason ._. .

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
Uh... I read somewhere that Sakurai said himself that they were having issues putting Ice Climbers in the 3DS version for some reason ._. .
The 3DS can't handle all the Nana AI. Ice Climbers probably worked for games with 2 people; but if they can't work with 4 players, it's a bust. (These statements assume everyone is playing Ice Climbers.)

However, Sakurai also stated that they were low-priority, so he and his team didn't put too much effort into figuring out a way to get them working on the 3DS. I really do have hope for and believe in the Ice Climbers. They may not have put forth the resources for them during development, but I can't help but think that their time will come.

Holiday 2015, boys. I believe

*Before someone says it, Nana is not like Luma. Luma is not an AI, she's an extension of Rosalina.

Last edited:

Apple Jaxx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jaxvex
3DS FC
3566-1709-4610
Seriously, when has a handheld version ever been better than a home console version when both are released near-simultaneously? Name one example and maybe I'll understand you.
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (that game sucks though).

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
Yeah i find it fun that i can now play smash bros on the go and even though i have smash bros for wii u.I still have purpose to play the 3DS one and its Very good for a portable game

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I love my Smash 3ds

The graphics on that thing don't cease to amaze me, and it handles very smooth.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I go to college and also have a job so yeah man I'm with you, also I preffer to use my free time wich is 4 hours per day with my GF or watching movies going outside. Smash on my lunch break or while I'm waiting for the teachers is so freaking awesome. Im my case people are more into Pokémon so also I play Pokémon and Animal crossing a lot with other students.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
If it weren't for the 3DS version, I wouldn't even be able to play Smash 4 right now. I'm in the kind of financial situation now where I'm not going to be able to get a Wii U for quite awhile. 3DS version is actually far better than I anticipated. Controls are kinda meh, but other than that, I applaud Sakurai for his effort. The only thing I really had overblow expectations for was hitstun. i.e. I thought there would be more of it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Seriously, when has a handheld version ever been better than a home console version when both are released near-simultaneously? Name one example and maybe I'll understand you.
Sonic Boom 3DS is better than Sonic Boom Wii U.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on DS is better than the Wii counterpart. The former had a fully fledged Adventure Mode (the latter had better events IMO, but not so much that it overshadowed the awesome Adventure Mode in the DS version).

*Before someone says it, Nana is not like Luma. Luma is not an AI, she's an extension of Rosalina.
Actually, Luma does have independent AI. He moves about on his own if you separate him and don't give him commands. And him sticking by Rosalina is literally just like Nana. Luma is also affected by custom equipment, meaning he is considered a player of sorts.

The reason Luma works though is because his model is basically a ball.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
i kept all my expectations low for both the wii U and 3DS smash. After the disappointment of brawl, I wasn't gonna get overhyped for the new smash at all and make the same mistake.

Smash3DS was exactly what I expected it to be and wanted it to be, a portable smashh bros. It was pretty much what I expected it to be.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sonic Boom 3DS is better than Sonic Boom Wii U.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games on DS is better than the Wii counterpart. The former had a fully fledged Adventure Mode (the latter had better events IMO, but not so much that it overshadowed the awesome Adventure Mode in the DS version).

Actually, Luma does have independent AI. He moves about on his own if you separate him and don't give him commands. And him sticking by Rosalina is literally just like Nana. Luma is also affected by custom equipment, meaning he is considered a player of sorts.

The reason Luma works though is because his model is basically a ball.
I thought it's because Luma is 30 fps.

Top Bottom