• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did you like or not like Star Fox Zero?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Truthfully, the main challenge is just defeating Andross quickly, because it seems that the faster you take down a boss, the more hits you'll receive; that's something that you must also do against Star Wolf if you want to reach the hit goal for acquiring a medal. I also read somewhere that destroying the cannons with charged shots without targeting them can give you as many as 4 hits if done just right, but I'm not even sure if that information is right.
All true, and it's all carried over from 64. Well, I'm not sure how much the cannons give you if you lob a charge shot next to them, but it'd at least be a +1. If it takes multiple charge shots to take down the cannons then +4 would be possible. Though, I think Star Wolf's point timer starts as soon as the first phase properly starts, and they drop from +30 to +10 pretty quickly. As long as you kill the bosses fast enough the medal is yours, if that's all you're interested in.

If you're interested in absurdly high scores, then shoot everything you can with charged, unlocked shots. Or rather shoot next to everything with CUS. Charge shots give you a bonus, but only if you don't hit a bonus giving target directly. In 64 if you were good then you could throw out CUSes at any enemy squad since CUSes had a timer before they blew, but now you need to hit a bit of scenery (or Slippy) because now they go on forever. Both 64 and Zero give you a way to cancel lock-ons, if you're wondering. In 64 you press L and R at the same time, and and Zero it's just L.

Let's see what else I can think of... Shooting certain enemies after they're dead gives you +1s. Some can be shot after CSing them, some can't. Notable example are the butterfly things in Sector Gamma, since they rarely fly close enough together to even get a CS bonus. Another thing is that CSes can trigger other CSes, which can give you an extra point (or two in the Landmaster) in some situations.

D

Deleted member

Truthfully, the main challenge is just defeating Andross quickly, because it seems that the faster you take down a boss, the more hits you'll receive; that's something that you must also do against Star Wolf if you want to reach the hit goal for acquiring a medal. I also read somewhere that destroying the cannons with charged shots without targeting them can give you as many as 4 hits if done just right, but I'm not even sure if that information is right.
Aquarosa has to be the single hardest boss in the game. I just can't beat it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Aquarosa has to be the single hardest boss in the game. I just can't beat it.
Easiest way is to fly around and almost kill the satellite dish things one lap, kill 'em next lap, and use the three bombs you got to destroy the rest.

Power-ups from Cornaria carry over to the fight. Hyper lasers + full HP is basically a win already, since you can destroy everything on to in one lap easy. If you come in with twin, you might get blasted by the barrier once on the first lap, but if you play it safe you should be fine. First dish to the left has a laser upgrade and you can definitely get it in time.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Played Zero and hated the forced motion control scheme, the game kinda flopped, that proves that Miyamoto should no longer be allowed to develop Star Fox games, it was just a glorified motion control game, but maybe see what Platinum can do with the series independent of Miyamoto

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Last I checked we weren't looking at complete sales figures (mostly in the west where Starfox always did much better) so it's a little early to say it flopped.

Most people that actually bothered to try the motion controls liked the game, and after Splatoon it's obvious the Nintendo playerbase is willing to play a game with that type of control scheme. Nintendo's not going to stop with motion controls... Actually, we have evidence that the NX controller is going to be a Gamepad 2.0.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Last I checked we weren't looking at complete sales figures (mostly in the west where Starfox always did much better) so it's a little early to say it flopped.

Most people that actually bothered to try the motion controls liked the game, and after Splatoon it's obvious the Nintendo playerbase is willing to play a game with that type of control scheme. Nintendo's not going to stop with motion controls... Actually, we have evidence that the NX controller is going to be a Gamepad 2.0.
It did in Japan, I never liked Gyro controls to be honest with you

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
True, then why not just hand it to Retro, who are a Western studio
No. I meant they never sold that well in Japan.

Pretty sure you just want SFA2 when that would doom the series at this point.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No. I meant they never sold that well in Japan.

Pretty sure you just want SFA2 when that would doom the series at this point.
No I don't want SFA2, I want a Star Fox game like Ace Combat or Halo:Reach (but with more empahisis on the space combat, and less on the FPS

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Guess I'm a bit late to this, but I honestly don't know how to answer.

I will fight anyone who says this is a bad game. Because I really don't think it is. But I wouldn't be so sure if I'd call it good either. I guess I can say that I enjoyed it, but definitely not love it. Not even close.

There's nothing I can say about the control scheme that hasn't been said before, and that's the main thing holding the game back if you ask me. The motion controls are fine by me, they let you aim separately from your movement and offer a greater amount of precision than dual-analog would considering how aiming in Star Fox works as opposed to any other type of shooter.

What I absolutely can't ****ing stand and I think is completely unjustified is splitting the gameplay accross two screens. You can recreate exactly the same style of gameplay with absolutely no changes by just having the camera in the main screen point in the direction you're aiming. Switching screens constantly is extremely disorienting and kinda breaks my immersion. And I have to say, even without motion controls or screen changes, the Walker controls like **** during all-range mode.

Sure, you might say, "you just have to get used to the controls to actually enjoying them".

The problem is... What's the point? There's nothing about the dual-screen gameplay in Star Fox Zero that can't be done by single screen (as proven by every single shooter ever made), meaning that this set up is just creating an inconvenience rather than actually adding depth to the gameplay by making it more complex. Looking at two screens to do something as simple as shooting while moving is not complex. It's complicated, which is not something you should be striving for when it comes to game design. You make a complicated control scheme when your game is complicated enough to call for it, not make a complicated control scheme first and then force your game to justify it.

But even outside of controls, the highest compliment I can give this game is "not bad". It's not that I didn't enjoy it, and the game definitely has its moments (stuff like the Star Wolf battle in that small Mario-Galaxy-style planet before andross, or seamlessly flying inside a large ship to destroy it from the inside as a walker and then escaping with the arwing mode was pretty genious) but the vast majority of the game is just... Decent. Even forgettable at some points. And there's nothing good I can say about the Gyrowing missions or hacking.

Did I have fun?

Definitely.

But I really, really wanted a Star Fox revival to be better than this. Nintendo is still an expert at making good games. But they haven't been all that good at making excellent ones in recent years like they used to.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well now that I played it, I will say that it is a good game but the motion controls just held me back from enjoying it so I stopped playing it and had not gone back to it since. The fact that I had to look at the TV to see where I'm going and look at the GamePad for targeting and shooting down enemies and **** was very tedious as well.

And so, I lost my interest in playing the game again and I have no plans to play Star Fox Guard either.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well now that I played it, I will say that it is a good game but the motion controls just held me back from enjoying it so I stopped playing it and had not gone back to it since. The fact that I had to look at the TV to see where I'm going and look at the GamePad for targeting and shooting down enemies and **** was very tedious as well.

And so, I lost my interest in playing the game again and I have no plans to play Star Fox Guard either.
You can switch the screens with minus you know...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Alternating between the TV screen and GamePad can potentially help you get out of certain jams though, especially when the game forcibly locks onto a boss.

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
Star fox zero is honestly a great game. The controls are something that after a short while adjusting are fine and i began to appreciate what options it gave the dev team in both levels and boss fight and it only legitametely annoyed me once in the final andross fight ( as well as to an extent the egg carrier fight but thats parially because im bad). the stealth sections are really cool, levels have high replayability and the variety is top notch as are the bosses. my only other complaint is no free level choosing(doesnt bother me too much it just would have been preferable) and a lack of online multiplayer features like 64 3d. 8/10 and it solidly deserves it.

Top Bottom