• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Did you ever really want Melee physics in the 3DS version given the option?

Melee physics in the 3DS version: Approve or Disapprove

• Total voters

PCHU

Smash Lord
That last sentence right there: Melee's not balanced. Good you understand that. I would also agree with the fact that we could use another Melee port. One with like a For Glory mode system or something. Though, I don't know what Nintendo would do with it if they're not going to embrace the competitive community.
Actually, I was referring to Smash 4.
I mean, I know Melee ain't balanced, but none of the characters really suffer from being overly slow/prone to being camped, their range is just poor/they're unnaturally weak.
Pretty much everyone has a combo game to an extent and it's kinda cool how all of the low tiers have some sort of gimmick that really sets them apart, but the skill needed to play them against top tiers can be borderline absurd.

D

Deleted member

I'd honestly take it, I mean it'd be way too much work to implement it in a already made game, though.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
There isn't a need to "live up to Melee's hype." If a person wants Melee physics, they'd go ahead and play melee (and PM by extension). Smash 4 is the most recent game of the series and regressing back to having its gameplay engine like that of melee seemingly just makes it a clone with more characters. Both games are great in their own aspects, and meshing together the physics destroys both of their uniqueness in the franchise.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
You might as well add an actual GC controller port to the 3DS if you want to get Melee physics.

Gold Zero

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrezDlog
3DS FC
4441-8406-8476
I'm just happy we don't have Brawl's physics. And tripping.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I don't really see why this discussion is only limited to the 3DS version. If the Wii U and 3DS version did have different physics I would prefer the 3DS version the way it is now and the Wii U version have Melee physics. Not saying that the two versions should even have different physics in the first place.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Hell no. If you want Melee's physics you have Melee. Sm4sh's physics are unique, but they work very well as they are, so I wouldn't change them for anything else.

And even if I was forced to change them to a previous smash game, I never liked Melee anyway, so I'd go for 64 over that or Brawl anyday.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I'm just happy we don't have Brawl's physics. And tripping.
Brawl physics really weren't all that bad; at least most characters could safely shorthop with an aerial and have it either outright end or autocancel, not to mention more characters had decent aerial mobility.
A lot of people have switched over to Smash 4 and not looked back and yet hate on something they haven't even tested.
I've gone back and played Brawl with friends a few times and each time we played we noticed things that we could do in Brawl that we just can't do in Smash 4, and most of it is because the base knockback isn't really high and attacks in general don't have a bunch of startup/endlag.
A lot of people remember Brawl as being slow, but looking back and playing it, it's actually not that much slower than 4, and it's really smooth in comparison, especially to Wario mains such as myself.

Don't get me wrong, Smash 4's Fox/CF feels almost like Melee, but the mobility gap is so huge sometimes that I find it nearly impossible to catch up to my opponent without thinking two moves ahead since not much I have will cover the specific point I'll need to cover in a timely manner, and even then I'm likely to hit a powershield or leave myself wide open because I can't get away, but it's rare to see someone play aggressively.
If they made everyone faster, I couldn't say that Brawl's anywhere near it, but a lot of characters still feel like their Brawl counterparts, if even worse now that others have received buffs.

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
I like smash 4 physics because i couldn't compete with melee players (wave dashing, edge guarding, dash dancing)
and smash 4 kinda balances out the characters more.

stryk3r

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-6715-5588
They should just lock Sakurai in his office until he ports melee to the 3ds via virtual console.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I like smash 4 physics because i couldn't compete with melee players (wave dashing, edge guarding, dash dancing)
and smash 4 kinda balances out the characters more.
Well, that's what learning is for!
Besides, a lot of people can't compete against me already in Smash 4 thanks to Dedede's many stupid setups; all wavedashing and dashdancing lets me do is refine my movement and, by consequence, positioning.

Some Melee characters hardly even depend on technical play (Jiggs, Samus, Ganondorf, Marth, Sheik), not to mention edgeguarding is already present in Smash 4 (unless you're talking about edgehogging).

Characters are more balanced in Smash 4, most definitely, but the lack of mobility and inclusion of rather intrusive startup/endlag really makes for a limited experience.
On the bright side, if you get good at Smash 4 (provided it's not by projectile abuse), your fundamentals will be excellent enough to carry your own in Melee without having to learn much tech.

You still don't have to play Melee, of course, but it's honestly not as hard as you'd think.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Well, that's what learning is for!
Besides, a lot of people can't compete against me already in Smash 4 thanks to Dedede's many stupid setups; all wavedashing and dashdancing lets me do is refine my movement and, by consequence, positioning.

Some Melee characters hardly even depend on technical play (Jiggs, Samus, Ganondorf, Marth, Sheik), not to mention edgeguarding is already present in Smash 4 (unless you're talking about edgehogging).

Characters are more balanced in Smash 4, most definitely, but the lack of mobility and inclusion of rather intrusive startup/endlag really makes for a limited experience.
On the bright side, if you get good at Smash 4 (provided it's not by projectile abuse), your fundamentals will be excellent enough to carry your own in Melee without having to learn much tech.

You still don't have to play Melee, of course, but it's honestly not as hard as you'd think.
I find this to be true. I was playing Project M the other day (to celebrate the Mewtwo and Lucas reveal!) after a month hiatus since I was playing Smash 4 at the time....and after my controller got messed up. Anyway, it was weird getting used to it initially, but once I practiced my tech again, I was set.

The things I did in Smash 4 transferred to PM, resulting in pretty interesting gameplay. For example, the empty short hops I did in SSB4 works well in PM and given wavedashing and dash dancing, I can fake out opponents and position myself.

My handling on certain characters like Meta Knight in Sm4sh kinda screwed up how I played him in PM though, but the fundamentals were still there. If anything, Sm4sh has taught me how to play patiently.

Last edited:

Ravio_Yo

Smash Apprentice
I'd love it. I'm not a big fan of Sm4sh's dodge-happy slow style and I love everything about Melee, so that would be right up my alley. It wouldn't make any sense from a developer perspective, though.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Most of you might have NO idea how good melee physics will be good on here. If there is an option that is available for it

CaikLazer

Smash Cadet
Because you know, during the early days of the game's development people were wondering how would this affect Melee as a game and people always wanting what Melee had and Brawl "sucked" and yadada.

Despite how people claimed how different it felt playing on a 3DS compared to a Gamecube Controller and with all the horror stories of how people were breaking off circle pads playing Smash 3DS to a competitive level (and before you ask, yes I do remember seeing someone making a post questioning if they were going to include the Melee air dodge to the game during one of Sakurai's Pics of the Day), would you still want Melee physics for Smash 4 (Wavedashing, L-canceling, Wavelanding, the works), even if it meant having the 3DS version to have those same physics with even more of a chance to break your 3DS only to live up to Melee's hype?

This was kind of a "just-wondering" kind of question I thought I might ask. I don't have any intentions to start Flame Wars about "X game is better than Y game". Personally, if you ask me this question, I wouldn't want Melee physics for this kind of console, only means my 3DS would break in less than a month.
To be honest I HATE Melee physics. I could never adapt to them fully and I never really liked the gamecube controller.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No, I wouldn't want the 3DS version to play horribly. I am glad it plays similarly to the other version.

Top Bottom