• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did they reduce the landing lag?

Beats

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's adversity to change, so much as not wanting the outright removal of options. With aerial approaches, you can fade back or cross up their shield while attacking in order to make it harder for the opponent to punish. On the other hand, when attacking on the ground there's nothing you can do aside from the initial spacing before throwing out a move. The same move will always have the same animation lag, always be in about a similar place relative to the opponent, there's less variation. Ground approaches can't really replace aerial approaches.

As Senario mentioned, there were definitely ground approach options in Melee. Why not make both air and ground viable instead of only ground?

All this said, I realize the amount of landing lag isn't definitive at this point so it's hard to make judgement on how viable different approaches will be. Just trying to argue against the hypothetical case where people are saying smash 4 will be ground based.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I'm probably wrong on this, but:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComplacentGamingSyndrome

It would almost seem to me that the complaining about the aerial lag can also be put down to this. People are so used to playing 75% or more in the air that when things are forcing them down, they dislike it. The game has been so aerial dominated, that when forced to change, people will inevitably hate it.
As was already discussed, that's because ground options have proven to usually be less effective three games in a row.
---------------------------------------------------------
Also can we get @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 in here? I remember him saying that Toon Link's Fair, Nair and Zair have minimal, if any, landing lag. I'd love you to contribute to this. How does it compare to Brawl's landing lag? That's sure to get the topic back to whether landing lag was reduced or not, rather than "will Smash 4 suck because of a lack of air options?". :awesome:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

You just love to try and start fights don't you? Look at Ganon in brawl and see what happens when you try to "balance" with landing lag like you want to.
Sorry, but as previously stated and for many valid reasons, you can not use Brawl as a definitive source to validate your claims that landing lag is inherently a bad direction got Smash 4.

It's really no use going in circles. Wait for the game and play it first. There is so much we do not know about how the smash 4 meta will play out.

makegoodchoices

Smash Rookie
NNID
zimdohicky
3DS FC
0748-3111-1596
I was rewatching some of the SSB3D gameplay from E3 and while I'm no expert, the landing lag looks a lot better there than on the Wii U version. Since the 3DS version releases sooner, maybe so far they prioritized that version and the Wii U version will get better? I don't know for sure, but I'm throwing that idea out there.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Double Posting Warning Received
Can't wait for the balanced landing lag, personally.

Keep it up, Sakurai.
What is your problem? Are you just trying to start arguments with people, because this is getting plain ridiculous now.

I was rewatching some of the SSB3D gameplay from E3 and while I'm no expert, the landing lag looks a lot better there than on the Wii U version. Since the 3DS version releases sooner, maybe so far they prioritized that version and the Wii U version will get better? I don't know for sure, but I'm throwing that idea out there.
This does make me wonder if both versions will have the same mechanics. Landing lag may shorter on 3ds, but I've heard people say the 3ds version is slower than the Wii U version. Maybe both versions differ in gameplay mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

makegoodchoices

Smash Rookie
NNID
zimdohicky
3DS FC
0748-3111-1596
This does make me wonder if both versions will have the same mechanics. Landing lag may shorter on 3ds, but I've heard people say the 3ds version is slower than the Wii U version. Maybe both versions differ in gameplay mechanics.
You know, I'd never thought of that. I always assumed they'd try to make them as similar as possible, but maybe since they're two separate systems we'll end up with two completely different games.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The optimist in me says that hopefully that's because the 3DS version is closer to completion and the landing lag actually IS reduced.
The pessimist in me says that the 3DS version actually isn't running at 60fps (Samurai you lied to us!), so it looks faster than it really is.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You know, I'd never thought of that. I always assumed they'd try to make them as similar as possible, but maybe since they're two separate systems we'll end up with two completely different games.
In a way, I'm fine with that, but it does surprise me both games don't have identical mechanics. At the moment, I am inclined to play the 3ds version to see if what people say is true.

The optimist in me says that hopefully that's because the 3DS version is closer to completion and the landing lag actually IS reduced.
The pessimist in me says that the 3DS version actually isn't running at 60fps (Samurai you lied to us!), so it looks faster than it really is.
Samurai wouldn't lie to us about 60 fps(hopefully). I hope we can see gameplay footage soon of the game's current build of both versions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Senario

Smash Ace
Well that or landing lag is shorter on the 3ds version because it is coming out sooner and thus should be farther ahead in development.

All in all the Landing lag on air moves looks extremely nice for sheik. It is a good thing I happen to like Sheik although I can't play her well enough in melee (those short hops so hrd! I can do tech chases). Although I would like Robin to also have quicker landing lag, I'm a huge fire emblem fan and loved the character in awakening. All else fails I play sheik.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Warning Received
What is your problem? Are you just trying to start arguments with people, because this is getting plain ridiculous now.
You know you have issues when a simple statement of ones opinion is somehow wanting to start a fight.

I like the landing lag and what they're doing with that. That's not an argument, it's a statement. You can argue with it all you want but please, stop acting like the issue of landing lag is one-sided.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You know you have issues when a simple statement of ones opinion is somehow wanting to start a fight.

I like the landing lag and what they're doing with that. That's not an argument, it's a statement. You can argue with it all you want but please, stop acting like the issue of landing lag is one-sided.
And now you're saying I have issues? What? The way you typed your sentence... it's like you know exactly why people are becoming frustrated, yet you continue with your little attitude.

Please stop. For the sake of the people reading this thread, commenting on this thread, and arguing with you on this thread.

D

Deleted member 245254

And now you're saying I have issues? What? The way you typed your sentence... it's like you know exactly why people are becoming frustrated, yet you continue with your little attitude.

Please stop. For the sake of the people reading this thread, commenting on this thread, and arguing with you on this thread.
So why is everyone becoming frustrated since you seem to know about everyone better than I do?

Senario

Smash Ace

psst quick tip. Don't feed it. Carry on people! Nothing to see here!

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
So why is everyone becoming frustrated since you seem to know about everyone better than I do?
I have enough sense to know the people who were initially viewing this thread were not interested in viewing an argument.
psst quick tip. Don't feed it. Carry on people! Nothing to see here!
Yeah, I'm done with him now.

D

Deleted member 245254

I have enough sense to know the people who were initially viewing this thread were not interested in viewing an argument.

Yeah, I'm done with him now.
So you live in a fantastical world where disagreements never happen?

If someone addresses landing lag in a landing lag topic in a way I disagree with, I'm going to let them know. That's how a forum works. That's how discussion works.

You are the real trolls in this thread, the only difference is I enjoy "feeding" you because I'm legitimately curious as to what makes Melee-fans tick, and why they're so against new design elements and new mechanics or takes on mechanics.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
So you live in a fantastical world where disagreements never happen?

If someone addresses landing lag in a landing lag topic in a way I disagree with, I'm going to let them know. That's how a forum works. That's how discussion works.

You are the real trolls in this thread, the only difference is I enjoy "feeding" you because I'm legitimately curious as to what makes Melee-fans tick, and why they're so against new design elements and new mechanics or takes on mechanics.
Like I said, I'm done. Anymore conversation with you will just result in a headache.

D

Deleted member 245254

Like I said, I'm done. Anymore conversation with you will just result in a headache.
I feel sorry for you then. It takes such a minuscule amount of effort to read and respond on a place like Smashboards, if it really gives you physical headaches to process this kind of content I fear what your experience in college is (was/will be?).

I'll make it simple for you in an effort to be considerate. Landing lag is not some kind of enemy of the state. Many folks recognize a solid direction the games development is going in concerns to landing lags use. It is because of this that I do not hold a chip on my shoulder on whether it will be reduced or not in the next piece of footage. I like where its at and wouldn't mind if it released as it was seen.

So what do you think the inclination is when I see people speak as though the concept is inherently bad? Of course it entices minds similar to speak up and stop you speaking for us when acting like its a foregone conclusion that everyone wants zero landing lag.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a difference between discussing something and beating a point into someone's head needlessly.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Please don't miss quote people. I find it very offensive that people might think I said something when I never did.
Edit: Didn't realize your name got in there somehow by accident. Didn't mean to, was in a rush on my way to work. Don't know how that happened, but I corrected it. Please accept my apology.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Warning Received
I feel sorry for you then. It takes such a minuscule amount of effort to read and respond on a place like Smashboards, if it really gives you physical headaches to process this kind of content I fear what your experience in college is (was/will be?).

I'll make it simple for you in an effort to be considerate. Landing lag is not some kind of enemy of the state. Many folks recognize a solid direction the games development is going in concerns to landing lags use. It is because of this that I do not hold a chip on my shoulder on whether it will be reduced or not in the next piece of footage. I like where its at and wouldn't mind if it released as it was seen.

So what do you think the inclination is when I see people speak as though the concept is inherently bad? Of course it entices minds similar to speak up and stop you speaking for us when acting like its a foregone conclusion that everyone wants zero landing lag.
There you go again... If anyone needs me, I will be reading Miiverse posts.

Hong

The Strongest
This discussion has become remarkably uncivil.

It's possible to discuss the game without having to needlessly jab at each other and instigate conflict. Get back on topic.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
You just love to try and start fights don't you? Look at Ganon in brawl and see what happens when you try to "balance" with landing lag like you want to.
Ganon/Brawl was a case where the landing lag concept was sound, but the balancing itself wasn't. AKA Ganondorf didn't have enough to offset his slowness. For example look at Melee; the idea was there too, just better balanced.

SSB4 is looking great so far and like Zipzo mentioned Sakurai acknowledged the mistakes he's made in Brawl and this is the first time he's acknowledging the competitive players and saying that he wants a game that appeals to everyone.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Edit: Didn't realize your name got in there somehow by accident. Didn't mean to, was in a rush on my way to work. Don't know how that happened, but I corrected it. Please accept my apology.
=) Thank you for fixing your post =)

Edit: Oh just a heads up your 'Air Dash Online' thread has many broken links within it.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Pretty sure those are N-airs autocancel frames, which really don't prove much.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also can we get @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 in here? I remember him saying that Toon Link's Fair, Nair and Zair have minimal, if any, landing lag. I'd love you to contribute to this. How does it compare to Brawl's landing lag? That's sure to get the topic back to whether landing lag was reduced or not, rather than "will Smash 4 suck because of a lack of air options?". :awesome:
There's lagless landing for roughly half the aerials.

Do you all know what Z-canceling is in Smash 64=???

Basically it's like L-canceling in Melee in every way EXCEPT there is ZERO landing lag after you do it! NONE!

"Lagless landing" is 100% that, only without the Z-canceling.

Thus, it literally is an an automatic Z-canceling mechanic! :laugh:

Roughly half of the aerials of each character have lagless landing, and usually they're the good ones.

===

Toon Link's are his forward air, neutral air, and z-air. Fox's are down air, neutral air, and (I think) back air.

I think the Wii Fit Trainer's were like down air, neutral air, and maybe back air. I don't remember too well because I was too busy trying to learn her, lol.

Mega Man's I think were back air and neutral air; I couldn't figure out if the down air had any.

From what my brother told me Marth's were neutral air, back air, and (I think) down air.

My brother told me the ones for Little Mac, but I forgot.

From what this guy Ryan told me (he's essentially a Brawl guru, at one time was the best Fox in Brawl and was ranked 10th in NorCal Brawl, and knows A TON about Brawl and buffering and has hidden Brawl combos no one else knows, lol), Samus' are her Z-air, neutral air, back air, and maybe her forward air.

===

But to answer the thread's question, yes they did. Toon Link's back air, up air, and especially down air have less landing lag, and none of them have lagless landing.

Also, Fox's landing lag is significantly less in his up air. It is very similar to Melee; maybe even less (than without L-canceling).

pickle962

Smash Lord
Unnecessary instigating
There's lagless landing for roughly half the aerials.

Do you all know what Z-canceling is in Smash 64=???

Basically it's like L-canceling in Melee in every way EXCEPT there is ZERO landing lag after you do it! NONE!

"Lagless landing" is 100% that, only without the Z-canceling.

Thus, it literally is an an automatic Z-canceling mechanic! :laugh:

Roughly half of the aerials of each character have lagless landing, and usually they're the good ones.

===

Toon Link's are his forward air, neutral air, and z-air. Fox's are down air, neutral air, and (I think) back air.

I think the Wii Fit Trainer's were like down air, neutral air, and maybe back air. I don't remember too well because I was too busy trying to learn her, lol.

Mega Man's I think were back air and neutral air; I couldn't figure out if the down air had any.

From what my brother told me Marth's were neutral air, back air, and (I think) down air.

My brother told me the ones for Little Mac, but I forgot.

From what this guy Ryan told me (he's essentially a Brawl guru, at one time was the best Fox in Brawl and was ranked 10th in NorCal Brawl, and knows A TON about Brawl and buffering and has hidden Brawl combos no one else knows, lol), Samus' are her Z-air, neutral air, back air, and maybe her forward air.

===

But to answer the thread's question, yes they did. Toon Link's back air, up air, and especially down air have less landing lag, and none of them have lagless landing.

Also, Fox's landing lag is significantly less in his up air. It is very similar to Melee; maybe even less (than without L-canceling).
inb4 Zipzo comes in here with some **** argument trying to convince us otherwise despite being proven WRONG on several accounts ;) Anywhom, nice finds JohnKnight. Can't to see what the final version of Smash 4 gives us :)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
inb4 Zipzo comes in here with some **** argument trying to convince us otherwise despite being proven WRONG on several accounts ;) Anywhom, nice finds JohnKnight. Can't to see what the final version of Smash 4 gives us :)
Do you really have to start a fire in here?

Also what are you talking about being proven wrong? He has been arguing that landing lag can be a good thing and is necessary, and that he trusts Sakurai will appeal to all audiences (including Melee fans who like mobility and techs). Johnknight1 hasn't said anything contradictory to Zipzo's beliefs.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
As @ Hong Hong stated, the topic does not need any callouts/jabs at other users. If anyone is caught doing so, simply ignore/report them and continue discussing the topic. Failure to do so will result in this getting locked and infractions being handed out, accordingly.

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
I really hope landing lag is reduced. There is really no reason for it to be the way it was at the e3 demo. Smash looks faster than Brawl for sure, combo that with the higher hitstun, and it has some real potential. That landing lag though is going to just be a detractor and nothing more. There is no reason for it to be in the game, pls sakurai fix it.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

I see very little lag on Mario here. Was this present back in the E3 demo?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I really hope landing lag is reduced. There is really no reason for it to be the way it was at the e3 demo. Smash looks faster than Brawl for sure, combo that with the higher hitstun, and it has some real potential. That landing lag though is going to just be a detractor and nothing more. There is no reason for it to be in the game, pls sakurai fix it.
if the lag is used as a point of balance then it is needed. I see people saying robin has too much lag on his aerials, but if he does in fact have an air smash attack having low lag on a hit like that seems absurd and unbalanced.

Top Bottom