• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did they loose their life or something? I think so.

xigon

Smash Apprentice
I saw a vid on DBR evolution, it was fox. He was purely the best I think. But when i look at them, i pity them. They wasted their lives on competitive playing. its not bad to be the best but to play as a maniac is just wrong. They played for fun before but now, the fox killed link at 12% by meteor smashing. that no fun at all. I play alot but i have a high degree genetic and biologic chemestrie. When i say wasting your live, it means that you play almost 20H a day. I dont mean everybody, some are perfect and some are playing purely for fun. Smash is also ver very fun but DBR, its plain wrong. I hope nobody is ever going to waste there lives on this.

Sugata Designs

Smash Cadet
At this point or in the near future, it's not really any different from playing professional sports :o
I mean, you can make money on playing games professionally. If you're good enough, you can live on it. If you're REALLY good, you can be rich off it. xP

Depends on the game, though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I saw a vid on DBR evolution, it was fox. He was purely the best I think. But when i look at them, i pity them. They wasted their lives on competitive playing. its not bad to be the best but to play as a maniac is just wrong. They played for fun before but now, the fox killed link at 12% by meteor smashing. that no fun at all. I play alot but i have a high degree genetic and biologic chemestrie. When i say wasting your live, it means that you play almost 20H a day. I dont mean everybody, some are perfect and some are playing purely for fun. Smash is also ver very fun but DBR, its plain wrong. I hope nobody is ever going to waste there lives on this.
You've never heard about the Starcraft players in South Korea, have you? And yes, it obviously isn't for everyone. There's a reason why most competitive players retire.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lol, most of the best Smash players play probably an average of 5 hours a week, maybe less. Its more if you include tournament time but that really isn't practicing so much as performing. PC Chris, one of the best Smash players in the world, doesn't even own a gamecube (unless he has gone out and purchased one in the last few months).

Basically you are suffering from a very common misconception about video game players in general. To learn how to be technical at Smash only takes maybe 10 hours of work, and once you get good technically you never need to relearn things. The only really great player who maybe plays on a constant basis is Mew2King. The DBR video is of Zelgadis isn't of a super good player, he might be one of the top 20 fox players in the country, maybe even almost in the top 10, but he isn't at the level of someone who wins big tournaments like PC Chris/Ken/M2K/Azen/Chu Dat.

Ken almost never practiced in 2006 and he won about $40,000 playing the game. ChuDat almost never practiced and he won about $25,000. Both players are in college too. If you want to say there wasting their time then go ahead but at the end of the year they'll have made some decent cash.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who gets paid decently for playing smash isn't wasting their lives. Smash is their life, and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, nobody not even professionalls play more than 6 hours average a day on smash. Most probably go to college or have a side job that takes time.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Idiot, for you information DBR plays probably once or twice every few weeks, and usually not together. Smash fits very well into our lives, and competitive playing isnt learning everything about the game in one night. Besides, at least for Norcal, smashfests are a way to hang out with each other. We eat together after tournies, do **** together, etc.

They didn't lose their lives. (if you have a high degree you shouldn't be spelling like ****). They enhanced their current lives with another factor that contributes to their happiness and enjoyment.

You shouldn't be on smashboards.
By the way, a spike at 12% by fox is a shine spike, not a meteor. GTFO.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I pity you for how ignorant you are and how poor your grammar is. Besides, what gives you the right to tell other people how to live their lives or to say that your way of spending time is better than their way of spending time?

S2

Smash Lord

You would be surprised that many top players don't play as much as you'd think.

Nobody devotes their whole lives to this game. Tournament players have full lives that involve lots of other activities, relationships, etc. Many do not fit the stereotype of a "nerds" either.

The difference is that they play games to get better and they play to win. I know people who've played tons of Smash and still suck, because they play stupidly still.

If being a pro gamer is a waste of time, then you might as well call professional sports the same thing. Since essentially that's full grown men playing children's games. But that's not true. We reward sports pros because no one else can do what they do at that level. Games aren't there yet, but being a pro gamer certainly isn't anymore a waste of your life than any other recreational activity.

You know this is a board for pro smashers and players who are trying to get better. Don't come insult people by posting this stuff when you know its blatant trolling.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
ENGLISH MOTHER****ER DO YOU SPEAK IT!?

mrshmearo

Smash Rookie
Looks like all the idiots from the Brawl section are leaking into here. Ignorant.

araknophobik

Smash Master
I play alot but i have a high degree genetic and biologic chemestrie. When i say wasting your live, it means that you play almost 20H a day.
please understand all the criticism you're receiving is not us being defensive because of our ignorance, but rather because of you're ignorance.

You based this large assumption of these players spending 20hrs a day playing on a simple combo video. Combo video's are made to display the best of the players ability, and remove the negative. Not to say that DBR aren't outstanding players, but they do have their flaws.

You come to a video game forums throwing out assumptions, followed by saying you too play this video game but you have a degree in genetics and biologic chemestrie? The majority of the pro players attend college and are getting degree's, this is kinda a means to kill time on campus with other college students. If anything you are the one who has wasted his life. You clearly have learned nothing of life's lessons and believe you're worth more than others because of a degree in something you probably do not enjoy

In reality, you should go experience life and stop wasting yours boasting about a degree that you probably haven't gotten a job with. Do something you love, get laid, travel, do something more productive than down talk others on a forum.

punk *** *****

peachori

Smash Journeyman
thank goodness, i thought was about a smasher who passed away or something like that

move along children, nothing much to see here.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
LOL

This thread is very high quality, I suggest it be stickied

and fyi @ topic creator, shine spiking at extremely low percents is like one of the funnest things ever, you don't know what you're talking about lol.

Shweex

Smash Cadet
I play alot but i have a high degree genetic and biologic chemestrie.
I'll bet you do. Last I checked, people could at least spell their majors properly. Also, what is a "high degree" by your standards? Do you even know what you're talking about?
You're griping to the wrong crowd. It's like going to a basketball games and making fun of everyone there for wasting their lives bouncing a ball; no one is going to agree with you and you're going to make an *** of yourself.

xelad1

Smash Ace
even mew2king doesn't play 20 hours a day.... that's absurd haha. I won't add anything else because I'm pretty sure everyone else has listed the reasons why this post was dumb...

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Moderators... I've been trying to ignore these people the whole time, but cant you make the forums so, that people cant post and make topics after they've been registerred for 3 months or something?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
LOL wtf are you talking about?

Bad grammar and bad sentence structure are very American.
The problem is americans do it predictably (namely out of laziness), this sounds like a foreign language's sentence structure that was translated.

That, and the mis-spellings aren't simple mistakes, they're spellings in different languages.

I'm guessing the topic creator is German, judging by the spelling of "chemistry" (chemestrie).

Gary

Smash Apprentice
Heh, this made me chuckle.

Oh, and like Ka-Master said, spiking and gimping at low percentages is hilarious. I don't see why you'd say it wasn't fun.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Okay, you're an idiot.

Not playing solely for fun =/= Not having ANY fun =/= Spending 20 hours a day to play =/= Not playing solely for fun.

You're acting as though the ONLY purpose for video games is for fun. That is a very very very old concept that does not exist anymore. Video games exist for pride, fun, and competition now. Stop trying to go onto a board of mainly competitive smashers and try to impose your stupid, idealistic impression of what is and isn't acceptable in video gaming.

Top Bottom