• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diar discussion

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
As I'm sure as many of the Young Links mainers do, I LOVE trying to get my meteor spike while edge gaurding. It was basically the reason I started to play young link. But, now with Toon Link's fast fall dair, is this even remotely possible?

Acually, is it even going to be possible to dair edge gaurd at all?, never mind getting the spike

From the videos I have seen, it just looks like random spam with bombs, arrows, and the boomerang.

sigh, I am getting more dissapointed with this character the more a try and figure him out.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
No, the meteor is different. I've noticed in a couple videos that Toon Link's d-air, in fact, spikes. And it looks like it doesn't have to be uncomfortably sweetspotted either. However, in other video's, his d-air does what it usually does and is a powerful upwards hitback.

We're not discussing it because we don't know how it works. That is all.

KangKyu

Smash Apprentice
Although there are some setbacks to his fast dair, I think that there are many more pros than cons for it.
@Kabyk-Greenmyst: How do you get that picture in a sig T_T??

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Has anyone seen a video where he has used it edge guarding?

I have been looking but have come up with nothing

Skillface

Smash Cadet
Although there are some setbacks to his fast dair, I think that there are many more pros than cons for it.
@Kabyk-Greenmyst: How do you get that picture in a sig T_T??
I'm wondering the same thing, the img codes never work for me :p

Also, I really like his new Dair, but I don't know whether or not it's an auto SD when you use it over the edge, or if DI can even be used at all.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
You can't sweet spot it onto the edge sadly. But trust me, it still rocks. =)

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
When you use it you fall straight down. Fast. no DI like old link dair. This is not ppl choosing to ff in the vids you're watching. I hope ppl get clear on that :p
That being said, it spikes 100% of the time; so basically if you do it off the edge:
1: you hit, they shoot down. Guaranteed death for them. you get back to the ledge no sweat
2: you miss. You die. end of story.

I was really messed up at first cause I'm used to jumping and dair'ing and using my momentum to continue forward. But nope- not in brawl! his lil' sword is magnetized and heads straight for the ground. Or the bottom of the screen, if there is no ground there to save you.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I havent seen a spike yet done by time, jsut lame attempts that led to a horrible suicide. watching it amost made me not want to play toon link.

i wish he was a wind waker character rather than a cel shaded link clone though. but, whatever. I guess well have to make do with what was given to us

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
I'm wondering the same thing, the img codes never work for me :p

Also, I really like his new Dair, but I don't know whether or not it's an auto SD when you use it over the edge, or if DI can even be used at all.

Quote this and just copy the code to your sig (easier no?). I remember trying to help you before, but for some reason it doesn't work out. If it doesn't again, well I might PM you a step by step process haha
BTW Nice sig

Is it so hard to do that? Right-click, copy image location, then put it in the code. You don't need to use Photobucket. The only time I ever really need to use Photobucket is when I want hella funny pics from 4chan XD
When you use it you fall straight down. Fast. no DI like old link dair. This is not ppl choosing to ff in the vids you're watching. I hope ppl get clear on that :p
That being said, it spikes 100% of the time; so basically if you do it off the edge:
1: you hit, they shoot down. Guaranteed death for them. you get back to the ledge no sweat
2: you miss. You die. end of story.

I was really messed up at first cause I'm used to jumping and dair'ing and using my momentum to continue forward. But nope- not in brawl! his lil' sword is magnetized and heads straight for the ground. Or the bottom of the screen, if there is no ground there to save you.
So it's not Fast-Falled? Aww, I liked using it with DI in Melee...:ohwell: Does it still fire up when spiked at least (BTW I'm happy that it still spikes), and is there the D-Tilt spike too?
I think I'm gonna have a difficult time getting used to Toon Link when I get the game...
I havent seen a spike yet done by time, jsut lame attempts that led to a horrible suicide. watching it amost made me not want to play toon link.

i wish he was a wind waker character rather than a cel shaded link clone though. but, whatever. I guess well have to make do with what was given to us
Ironically, he's not even Cel-Shaded XD That would've been fun to play with haha

He also looks really floaty, so I hope his Air Combos work out well too...

3GOD

Smash Ace
I'm curious about the Dair myself. From what I can tell in videos, it always spikes if the opponent is airborne, but if the opponent is grounded, it pops them upward. I have a couple of questions I'd like answered though.

1) Is the Dair "Meteor Cancelable?" I haven't seen any videos where someone meteor canceled, so I'm not sure it's even around in Brawl.

2) Might it be possible to "Ken Combo" with Toon Link? That is, could something like a Bair possibly lead into the Dair spike? If so, Toon Link might be really awesome.

debaser

Smash Lord
2) Might it be possible to "Ken Combo" with Toon Link? That is, could something like a Bair possibly lead into the Dair spike? If so, Toon Link might be really awesome.
I've been thinking that too. I'll get to play it briefly later today so perhaps I will see!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Young Link's Sword Plant doesn't always send him hurtling down to the ground in the videos. As far as I can tell, if he still has upward momentum when he initiates the attack (for example, if he just used his double jump a moment before), he won't plunge downwards. If he's already at the peak of his jump or falling, then he gets forced into the vertical fastfall.

I can't test it first-hand, as I don't have that kind of access to the game, but this is definitely what it looks like from the videos.

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious about the Dair myself. From what I can tell in videos, it always spikes if the opponent is airborne, but if the opponent is grounded, it pops them upward. I have a couple of questions I'd like answered though.

1) Is the Dair "Meteor Cancelable?" I haven't seen any videos where someone meteor canceled, so I'm not sure it's even around in Brawl.

1) Its a Spike, I think that there isn't a meteor in Brawl.
2) http://youtube.com/watch?v=E7voERORf-g

But we need to see how the glitch works (if it works without being hit) to use this in a safer way ^^'

EDIT.
Toon Link combo ability is good as Melee's Marth.
Most of his attacks kills at 100%~130% if you don't stale his powerful moves.
Uair (works like Melee's Doc Sex Kick), Upsmash, Utilt, Nair, Fair are his good moves.

Dthrow is too good!

His aerial pressure is better than Marth. Because most of his attacks covers him and he is so fast.

You also can do a Double Arrow in Short Hop, works like Melee's Samus Missiles (one in the air, and one in the ground). If done correctly there less lag between the shots.

I just played Brawl yesterday (first time so good), and Toon Link is one of most impressive characters in Brawl.
Lovin' that fact XD~

EDIT2.
We need a moderator here, theres a lot of topic with the same discussion. (sorry can't spell properly)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i love TLinks dair, and its one of his best attacks. from all i used it though, it seemed to spike instead of meteor. I was practicing with m2k in brawl the other day and used it as an edgeguard and spiked him into an oblivion lol. if it was a meteor cancel, m2k would have cancelled it haha

Iwan

Smash Ace
As I'm sure as many of the Young Links mainers do, I LOVE trying to get my meteor spike while edge gaurding. It was basically the reason I started to play young link. But, now with Toon Link's fast fall dair, is this even remotely possible?

Acually, is it even going to be possible to dair edge gaurd at all?, never mind getting the spike

From the videos I have seen, it just looks like random spam with bombs, arrows, and the boomerang.

sigh, I am getting more dissapointed with this character the more a try and figure him out.
First off...i wouldn't be disappointed. I've been playing as TL for the last week and i LOVE HIM. I fully plan on maining him. As for getting the spike...it doesn't necessarily spike everytime, but if you hit them near the edge, or off stage....AT ALL...they die. Period. The con about that though is that if you miss (i.e they air dodge or you just mis -aim it), you die. That's why when i get someone off stage i like to take out a bomb, throw it downward first, and then dair. That way if they dodge the bomb you can go straight into your dair, and their dodging animations already over by the time you hit them. Also, you can go straight into TL's dair after throwing a bomb downward, which is pretty useful. Sometimes you hit with both the bomb and then his dair, which does some pretty nice damage. And if you miss with one, chances are you hit with the other.

k...done ranting :p

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i love TLinks dair, and its one of his best attacks. from all i used it though, it seemed to spike instead of meteor. I was practicing with m2k in brawl the other day and used it as an edgeguard and spiked him into an oblivion lol. if it was a meteor cancel, m2k would have cancelled it haha
what does M2k think of brawl? i remember hearing that he didn't want to get into it or something like that (sorry if i'm wrong)

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
it looks like learning to control the dair is going to be hard. control meaning used properly. I caught some videos were it looks like people didn't mean to spike but somehow pulled it off.

the "glich" looks like something that every toon link player is going to need to master. Hopefully this wont turn out to be a spam move or what appears to be every over advance character specific technique. hopefully all of these supposed broked AT will end up creating a really balanced game.

CHIP VS GIMPY!!! BROKEN MATCH OF THE YEAR!!! boozers floats, cel link spikes X 3.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
yeah, i get pretty pissed when i SD with people cause I try and ledge hop dair (being a falco/fox main in melee, it was useful for them) So whenever i use sheik or tLink or such, i always just SD cause of that downwards trajectory thing on the dair. guess i just have to get used to it.

Top Bottom