• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dev's hate Nintendo's Mascot

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Donkey Kong saga is connected to the main series since the Mario VS Donkey Kong games have Peach and Toad Minis, and Pauline serves as the evidence that it's part of the same canon as the original Donkey Kong games.

Things like Dr. Mario aren't necessarily their own canon and are just random games that use Mario to sell them. I would consider them non-canon though.

And I wouldn't see a problem with that Koopaling thing since Miyamoto clarified that they are now his adopted kids anyway, which isn't that different than biological for a Mario game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm only wondering that because I'm not entirely sure if Brooklyn and the Mushroom Kingdom are a part of the same world (since Mario was apparently a carpenter from Brooklyn originally if I recall correctly) and I'm not sure if Nintendo really associates the series anywhere with the real world or Brooklyn anymore. Not to mention whenever they celebrate the series anniversary. It's usually with Super Mario Bros but I don't know this all might not even matter for all I know.... Like I said, I need to do a bit more research on that.

Oh really? That's cool then I guess if that's true...

Edit: I looked into the whole Donkey Kong Circus thing and apparently that game is a reskin/remake of a Mickey Mouse game with Mario and Donkey Kong instead of Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse..... Well this explains a lot. First the whole original Donkey Kong being originally meant to be a Popeye game and now this one was apparently a reskin/remake of a Mickey Mouse Game & Watch game. At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if Super Mario Bros or Mario Bros was meant to be some sort of fresh reboot for the Mario series or something.... <_<

Anyway, I think we are getting a bit off-topic now. We can discuss this further via PM if you like.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I agree that Mario seems a bit....well, it's hard to describe, but he's not getting the attention he rightfully deserves.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, Villager, Pit, and a couple others had so much attention put in their moves, Mega Man uses interactive metal blades, Pac-Man throws fruit and stuff, Villager rides on a rocket and blasts into people, and Pit has a spammy projectile, a double-sided shield, a side B with Super Armor.

And then Mario still has the same punches and kicks we've seen for too long...

The Fireball is just an arguably quirky projectile, but it isn't near quite as spammy as Pit's, it can be decent, but like I said, nowhere near Pit level.

The Cape is nearly useless as an attack, as recovery, it's okay, but it's not like Pit's reflector which stays up for a long time, you just have a split second to use Mario's cape on that charge shot that Samus fired, while Pit can just hold his handy dandy shields up the whole time and Mega Man can use the Leaf Shield to absorb the charge shot power.

The Super Jump Punch is literally just a generic recovery move, i'll be changing it to Explosive Jump Punch when the game is out.

F.L.U.D.D is Mario's only unique attack that has some imagination in it. One problem though, it SUCKS. The Mario Tornado was just a generic spin move but it had it's uses in recovery. F.L.U.D.D doesn't even do damage! What is the point of an attack if it doesn't do damage? I'll definitely be switching to Scalding F.L.U.D.D, but even so, i'll miss the Mario Tornado.

I know im complaining a bit too much, but it angers me how they put so much imagination from Mega Man's games into his moveset, but yet Mario just has a bunch of generic punches and kicks, and with Mario Galaxy released, I was thinking they would give Mario some Galaxy move, but it's like Rosalina stole all of the galaxy moves from Mario! Rosalina is great and all, but the character you PLAY AS should have the moves incorporated into his smash moveset.

I have to admit though, I am very glad that Mario has been sped up on nearly all of his attacks, and has had a lot of buffs for this game.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mario just has a bunch of generic punches and kicks, and with Mario Galaxy released, I was thinking they would give Mario some Galaxy move, but it's like Rosalina stole all of the galaxy moves from Mario!
The only new attack Mario gained (outside of power-up related ones) in Galaxy is the Spin Attack (and that secret Homing Attack technique that came with it). However, it was granted to him by the power of one of Rosalina's Lumas, and Rosalina is inherently able to perform it being one with the cosmos and all of that. She didn't steal anything from him. If anything, giving Mario the move in Smash would be stealing it from Rosalina.

Though Rosalina doesn't even use the Spin Attack in Smash (unless it's part of her Neutral, Side, or Up custom specials), so this is all a moot point. Rosalina's moveset is improvised, most of the things she does haven't been done by her or any other Mario character before. They simply used the fact that she is basically a goddess as an excuse to be able to do anything she does (which is valid, her power has no known boundaries), and then incorporated Lumas because of the bond they share with her.

And no, the shooting of Star Bits was not something Mario did in Galaxy, it's just a fourth wall breaking mechanic that isn't really given in-game explanation. He blatantly is not the one shooting them, the implication is that the player is shooting them from their Wii Remote Pointer, and into the game world. The fact that Rosalina's Gravitational Pull uses the Pointer graphic from Galaxy is just a cosmetic nod to the Galaxy games. And Luma shooting Star Bits makes sense, since the two are strongly associated.

Mario's punches and kicks are not all generic either, many of them are moves from Super Mario 64.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Mario really does need some buffs.
They should make him just about exactly how he was in 64. Top buffs they should make for him IMO:
1. Recovery. With a guy with the nickname of Jump Man, he should have better recovery.
2. FLUDD. I like his FLUDD move, but it should deal more knockback and do some damage.
3. Fireball. This move needs to deal more damage, and maybe travel farther.
4. Faster. They should really increase his speed a bit.
5. Attack power. It's clear that most of Mario's attack were a tad weakened in Brawl, so they should have more power this smash.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
The only new attack Mario gained (outside of power-up related ones) in Galaxy is the Spin Attack (and that secret Homing Attack technique that came with it). However, it was granted to him by the power of one of Rosalina's Lumas, and Rosalina is inherently able to perform it being one with the cosmos and all of that. She didn't steal anything from him. If anything, giving Mario the move in Smash would be stealing it from Rosalina.

Though Rosalina doesn't even use the Spin Attack in Smash (unless it's part of her Neutral, Side, or Up custom specials), so this is all a moot point. Rosalina's moveset is improvised, most of the things she does haven't been done by her or any other Mario character before. They simply used the fact that she is basically a goddess as an excuse to be able to do anything she does (which is valid, her power has no known boundaries), and then incorporated Lumas because of the bond they share with her.

And no, the shooting of Star Bits was not something Mario did in Galaxy, it's just a fourth wall breaking mechanic that isn't really given in-game explanation. He blatantly is not the one shooting them, the implication is that the player is shooting them from their Wii Remote Pointer, and into the game world. The fact that Rosalina's Gravitational Pull uses the Pointer graphic from Galaxy is just a cosmetic nod to the Galaxy games. And Luma shooting Star Bits makes sense, since the two are strongly associated.

Mario's punches and kicks are not all generic either, many of them are moves from Super Mario 64.
You are clearly defending Rosalina. That's not the point i'm making, Rosalina can have all of her moves, but I wanted a new move for Mario too. Pit got new moves, and so did Palutena, so why not Mario?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You are clearly defending Rosalina. That's not the point i'm making, Rosalina can have all of her moves, but I wanted a new move for Mario too. Pit got new moves, and so did Palutena, so why not Mario?
...Actually, that was more in defense of Mario. You said his moves were stolen by Rosalina, so I simply shot that claim down, as it's ridiculous. She uses none of his moves in Smash, or any other game. Saying the Spin is "Mario's move" is like saying the Powers in Kid Icarus: Uprising are Pit's moves, and that Palutena is stealing them in Smash, when in actuality, Palutena grants him the powers through her magic.

You also said his moves were generic, though, but a lot of them are the same physical attacks from Super Mario 64. The majority of Mario's moves are stuff he has done in his own games.

And over the course of the Smash series, Mario has gotten a lot of new moves. There isn't a whole lot that needs to be added or changed anymore though. Custom Moves will help bring him more variety though. Pit only got one or two new moves because he needed to be fine-tuned and balanced anyway. Mario doesn't need that to the extent of needing new moves, he's perfectly fine the way he is.

As for Palutena, she's a newcomer to the series, she didn't get any "new moves" as such, since it's her first playable appearance.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
...Actually, that was more in defense of Mario. You said his moves were stolen by Rosalina, so I simply shot that claim down, as it's ridiculous. She uses none of his moves in Smash, or any other game. Saying the Spin is "Mario's move" is like saying the Powers in Kid Icarus: Uprising are Pit's moves, and that Palutena is stealing them in Smash, when in actuality, Palutena grants him the powers through her magic.

You also said his moves were generic, though, but a lot of them are the same physical attacks from Super Mario 64. The majority of Mario's moves are stuff he has done in his own games.

And over the course of the Smash series, Mario has gotten a lot of new moves. There isn't a whole lot that needs to be added or changed anymore though. Custom Moves will help bring him more variety though. Pit only got one or two new moves because he needed to be fine-tuned and balanced anyway. Mario doesn't need that to the extent of needing new moves, he's perfectly fine the way he is.

As for Palutena, she's a newcomer to the series, she didn't get any "new moves" as such, since it's her first playable appearance.

...I don't think Pit really needed to be upgraded, he had the spammiest projectile in Brawl as well as that really annoying Angel Ring attack.

Mario on the other hand, certainly did, FLUDD is such a bad move.

It doesn't matter, Mario 64 is old news, Mario should draw inspiration from his new games, but Sakurai is completely ignoring it in favor of other characters, and it makes me angry.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Mario should have "iconic" moves. Fireball? Yes! Super Jump Punch? Sure. These are things he does in almost all his games so it makes sense for him to have them.

But the Cape has only been in one Mario game, and so has the FLUDD.

So what moves and powers does Mario consistently have? Well he Ground Pounds in almost every game now. He Spins in a lot of games too.

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
...I don't think Pit really needed to be upgraded, he had the spammiest projectile in Brawl as well as that really annoying Angel Ring attack.

Mario on the other hand, certainly did, FLUDD is such a bad move.

It doesn't matter, Mario 64 is old news, Mario should draw inspiration from his new games, but Sakurai is completely ignoring it in favor of other characters, and it makes me angry.
I'd just like to say that annoying moves is a good reason to change them.
Now back to lurking :198:.

Top Bottom