• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dev's hate Nintendo's Mascot

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone feel Mario is on the list of characters who get the short end of the stick? Like he gets unnecessarily nerfed in each game while character's who don't need buffs get them.
In Smash 64 Mario was really good. Great recovery, Fantastic combo's, decent (not fantastic) range, good projectile, and reliable finishers.
In Melee he was still ok but they nerfed Mario's recovery (Mario tornado doesn't go as high, Up-b was shortened), his range was shortened a bit, finishers less reliable, combo game slightly nerfed, fireball's size and hitstun nerfed.
In Brawl he was pretty bad. He has less options and cannot combo as effectively because of the reduced hitstun. Many of Mario's attacks are slightly weaker and/or have less range. His fireballs travel considerably less distance and deal 1% less damage.Mario now has a slightly smaller model (WHY) making his range worse. Mario also has a new down special move (F.L.U.D.D. which does NO damage and only pushes) and down aerial (Mario Tornado), making his recovery worse because he can no longer perform the Rising Tornado technique. Mario's cape it is no longer effective in assisting recovery because it doesn't provide as much lift. Mario's neutral aerial is weaker, and his forward aerial now requires a sweetspot to meteor smash (along with dealing 1% less damage and having lower knockback). Mario's back throw now launches enemies more vertical than horizontally but was weakened by a rather large amount. Mario's forward smash is much more difficult to sweetspot.
Is anyone hoping this game actually buffs Mario to his former glory?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Does anyone feel Mario is on the list of characters who get the short end of the stick? Like he gets unnecessarily nerfed in each game while character's who don't need buffs get them.
In Smash 64 Mario was really good. Great recovery, Fantastic combo's, decent (not fantastic) range, good projectile, and reliable finishers.
In Melee he was still ok but they nerfed Mario's recovery (Mario tornado doesn't go as high, Up-b was shortened), his range was shortened a bit, finishers less reliable, combo game slightly nerfed, fireball's size and hitstun nerfed.
In Brawl he was pretty bad. He has less options and cannot combo as effectively because of the reduced hitstun. Many of Mario's attacks are slightly weaker and/or have less range. His fireballs travel considerably less distance and deal 1% less damage.Mario now has a slightly smaller model (WHY) making his range worse. Mario also has a new down special move (F.L.U.D.D. which does NO damage and only pushes) and down aerial (Mario Tornado), making his recovery worse because he can no longer perform the Rising Tornado technique. Mario's cape it is no longer effective in assisting recovery because it doesn't provide as much lift. Mario's neutral aerial is weaker, and his forward aerial now requires a sweetspot to meteor smash (along with dealing 1% less damage and having lower knockback). Mario's back throw now launches enemies more vertical than horizontally but was weakened by a rather large amount. Mario's forward smash is much more difficult to sweetspot.
Is anyone hoping this game actually buffs Mario to his former glory?
Yes.

I hope the devs. spend a decent amount of time in balancing the characters. And even if they have to make Mario a sure loss to others, I'd love to see some characters that he would be the bane of, to smooth the overall (complaining) tier list. *ugh*

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Yes.

I hope the devs. spend a decent amount of time in balancing the characters. And even if they have to make Mario a sure loss to others, I'd love to see some characters that he would be the bane of, to smooth the overall (complaining) tier list. *ugh*
People can say tier list aren't accurate (I think they're accurate) but I do think the Smash and balancing team should AT LEAST look at all three tier list for all the games and look at ALL of the character positions on each list so they can see what they can do the help them out.

I wouldn't say that the dev hates Mario. Even though his final smash was utter garbage.

64 to Melee said:
When making the transition fromSmash 64toMelee, Mario was neither strongly buffed nor strongly nerfed.
  • Wavedashing improves Mario's movement options.
  • Neutral attack does more damage; hits 1 and 3 deal 1% more each. Hits 1 and 2 now
  • Up tilt is faster and combos more reliably at low percentages.
  • New forward smash is faster and deals a little more damage.
  • Up smash has significantly less ending lag.
  • Down smash is faster.
  • Neutral aerial has much higher knockback scaling.
  • New back aerial is more useful for edgeguarding.
  • Mario can now chaingrab using up and down throws.
  • All tilts deal less damage.
  • Dash attack deals less damage.
  • Up smash is weaker and deals less damage.
  • Down smash damage output now consists of 16% in front and 10/12% behind Mario, instead of 17% regardless of what part of the attack hits.
  • Back aerial deals less damage.
  • Up aerial deals 1% less damage.
  • Down aerial does much less damage and is no longer a meteor smash.
  • Fireballs are smaller and deal a little less damage.
  • Super Jump Punch gains much less recovery distance.
  • Mario Tornado no longer meteor smashes.
  • Neutral attack hit 3 can now clang.
  • Down tilt now hits opponents vertically instead of horizontally.
  • Dash attack now knocks opponents behind Mario.
  • Down smash has higher base knockback but lower knockback scaling.
  • Up aerial angle changed from 80/70 to 55.
Also, it's important to note that one of the reason why Mario was balls in Brawl is because of the reduced hitsun which played a role in nerfing Mario (And maybe other characters). FLUDD isn't as bad as people picture it.... Because they treat FLUDD as if it's an attack when it's not. Might as well refer to this (Might be a bit outdated with the current metagame but I don't know that)

Yeah, I won't deny that Mario's been getting nerfed but it doesn't mean that Sakurai hates Mario. If he really did hate Mario then why put him in the game? So he's just putting him because it's no all-star nintendo game without its mascot? Oh wait--- That kinda makes sense but whatever. Anyway, just because a dev nerfed a character really badly, doesn't mean he hates him. I mean, look at Captain Falcon.

So far, I haven't read a post where in you explicitly state that Sakurai (Dev) hates Mario so might as well rename your thread :)

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't say that the dev hates Mario. Even though his final smash was utter garbage.

Also, it's important to note that one of the reason why Mario was balls in Brawl is because of the reduced hitsun which played a role in nerfing Mario (And maybe other characters). FLUDD isn't as bad as people picture it.... Because they treat FLUDD as if it's an attack when it's not. Might as well refer to this (Might be a bit outdated with the current metagame but I don't know that)

Yeah, I won't deny that Mario's been getting nerfed but it doesn't mean that Sakurai hates Mario. If he really did hate Mario then why put him in the game? So he's just putting him because it's no all-star nintendo game without its mascot? Oh wait--- That kinda makes sense but whatever. Anyway, just because a dev nerfed a character really badly, doesn't mean he hates him. I mean, look at Captain Falcon.

So far, I haven't read a post where in you explicitly state that Sakurai (Dev) hates Mario so might as well rename your thread :)
I'd much rather have new move or attack to help Mario out. FLUDD was an good concept that wasn't fully fleshed out not to mention the hit to his already predictable recovery. Also Mario was nerfed from 64 to Melee. I listed them above. Especially the lack of finishers which I think hurt him the most in Melee in Brawl. And the reason I named the thread like that was because they aren't showing Mario the proper respect he deserves and keep nerfing him.

I'd much rather have new move or attack to help Mario out. FLUDD was an good concept that wasn't fully fleshed out not to mention the hit to his already predictable recovery. Also Mario was nerfed from 64 to Melee. I listed them above. Especially the lack of finishers which I think hurt him the most in Melee in Brawl. And the reason I named the thread like that was because they aren't showing Mario the proper respect he deserves and keep nerfing him.
Ehh... Disagree with him being nerfed from 64 to Melee. If you noticed, most of his attacks got damage reductions but he also got nice buffs that'll make you forget about the nerfs. Note that Mario is A tier in Melee
  • Neutral attack does more damage; hits 1 and 3 deal 1% more each. Hits 1 and 2 now
  • Down smash is faster.
Wavedashing helped Mario a lot. He also has good combos which mitigates all that damage nerfs (Faster u-tilt). Oh, and the chain grab should say something. Also, he's been given new moves that would help him like his back aerial for edgeguarding. All these buffs are used for practical purposes like edgeguarding, comboing and such. Only nerfs Mario got were only pertaining to damage which didn't do much. Recovery nerf hurts though. Oh right, he can also wall jump. Doesn't help much but worth noting. Oh and, hitsun in Smash 64 was CRAZY. Combos were insane in that game

And there's a difference with respect and hate. Disrespect is basically disregarding something or someone's authority, state or feelings. Hating is actually hating something with the passion. I'm not too sure if Sakurai's disrespecting Mario but I guess that works since well, he's pretty crap in Brawl and he didn't seem to give a ****. But if he did hate him, that'd be a huge contradiction since nerfing a character doesn't really show hostility to a character. Like I said in my last post. His favorite character is Captain Falcon but he was.... BAD in Brawl.

Edit : FLUDD has a situational use but that doesn't prevent it from being a good addition. But really, I'd prefer Mario's tornado as a d-special but I wouldn't say FLUDD is crap

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
Ehh... Disagree with him being nerfed from 64 to Melee. If you noticed, most of his attacks got damage reductions but he also got nice buffs that'll make you forget about the nerfs. Note that Mario is A tier in Melee
  • Down smash is faster.
Wavedashing helped Mario a lot. He also has good combos which mitigates all that damage nerfs (Faster u-tilt). Oh, and the chain grab should say something. Also, he's been given new moves that would help him like his back aerial for edgeguarding. All these buffs are used for practical purposes like edgeguarding, comboing and such. Only nerfs Mario got were only pertaining to damage which didn't do much. Recovery nerf hurts though. Oh right, he can also wall jump. Doesn't help much but worth noting

And there's a difference with respect and hate. Disrespect is basically disregarding something or someone's authority, state or feelings. Hating is actually hating something with the passion. I'm not too sure if Sakurai's disrespecting Mario but I guess that works since well, he's pretty crap in Brawl and he didn't seem to give a ****. But if he did hate him, that'd be a huge contradiction since nerfing a character doesn't really show hostility to a character. Like I said in my last post. His favorite character is Captain Falcon but he was.... BAD in Brawl.
While I can agree that got some good buffs in Melee on that list above your last post I saw more Minuses then Pluses. Overall he was a better character in 64. If Mario had Doctor Mario's good traits he would've been top tier in Melee...Oh wait Project M Mario lol

While I can agree that got some good buffs in Melee on that list above your last post I saw more Minuses then Pluses. Overall he was a better character in 64. If Mario had Doctor Mario's good traits he would've been top tier in Melee...Oh wait Project M Mario lol
Hell yeah P:M Mario.

Oh, the number of minuses don't matter that much man. Just a bunch of damage nerfs. (But the recovery is a legit bad nerf)

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I have a personal theory that Mario in Brawl was probably designed early on to be weaker and shorter ranged. I feel like many of the newer characters were balanced later in development, probably causing a bit of a disproportionate balance. In this game, Mario definitely looks like his model is back to its Melee size (compared to the slightly smaller Brawl model that hurt his attack range). He also appears to be much more prominent in the trailers and gameplay demos, which leads me to believe that the developers are really trying to make him a strong competitive force this time around.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
I have a personal theory that Mario in Brawl was probably designed early on to be weaker and shorter ranged. I feel like many of the newer characters were balanced later in development, probably causing a bit of a disproportionate balance. In this game, Mario definitely looks like his model is back to its Melee size (compared to the slightly smaller Brawl model that hurt his attack range). He also appears to be much more prominent in the trailers and gameplay demos, which leads me to believe that the developers are really trying to make him a strong competitive force this time around.
Yeah Dsmash killed really early against Sakuraii (with poor di)

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings
  • Down smash is faster.
Wavedashing helped Mario a lot. He also has good combos which mitigates all that damage nerfs (Faster u-tilt). Oh, and the chain grab should say something. Also, he's been given new moves that would help him like his back aerial for edgeguarding. All these buffs are used for practical purposes like edgeguarding, comboing and such. Only nerfs Mario got were only pertaining to damage which didn't do much. Recovery nerf hurts though. Oh right, he can also wall jump. Doesn't help much but worth noting. Oh and, hitsun in Smash 64 was CRAZY. Combos were insane in that game

Edit : FLUDD has a situational use but that doesn't prevent it from being a good addition. But really, I'd prefer Mario's tornado as a d-special but I wouldn't say FLUDD is crap
Actually now that I think about it the damage nerfs I feel are the biggest nerf. Remember Mario's biggest problem in Melee? The fact that he cannot k.o. reliably. One of the reasons Doc is higher (despite having a worse recovery) is the fact that he has reliable ko moves.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
I dislike the presence of FLUDD not because it's useless (it's not), but because I feel like Mario should be simple to play as. The FLUDD is much too complex in usage for that. Also, he should be an all-rounder, with no obvious strengths or weaknesses. A Mario who's average at combos, average at KOs, average at survivability, and average at mobility would be the perfect Mario for me.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I dislike the presence of FLUDD not because it's useless (it's not), but because I feel like Mario should be simple to play as. The FLUDD is much too complex in usage for that. Also, he should be an all-rounder, with no obvious strengths or weaknesses. A Mario who's average at combos, average at KOs, average at survivability, and average at mobility would be the perfect Mario for me.
Well, the thing about Mario is that he's not just an all-rounder; he's also a Jack-Of-All-Trades. Which is what they were going for with FLUDD. He should be easy to pick up for newcomers, but still be the go-to character for the more advanced players. FLUDD is another move that (while it could still use a buff or two) can really be used to severely gimp the recoveries of other characters. If every move of Mario's is easy and simple, maybe just one complex move wouldn't hurt.

Maybe give Mario the Hover Nozzle as a variation. You know, air use of FLUDD gives Mario an additional recovery that gets better the more you charge it (Think Diddy's Up+B that doesn't suck with minimal charging) and it could boast a constant meteor effect from the stream of water.

The thing about Mario being a jack-of-all-trades is that he has so much potential to put into his moves, limiting him to simple tactics sometimes feels like they're not respecting the character enough, you know?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
A lot of characters get nerfed in weird ways. Kirby's transition from 64 to Melee and Falcon's transition from Melee to Brawl were both very painful, to name a few. Some characters have also been underpowered in every game they have appeared in, Bowser and Ganondorf being good examples. It's nothing against Mario. Both Melee and Brawl had really awkward character balancing.

I am hoping for a better Mario this time around, though. Who isn't?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Some characters have also been underpowered in every game they have appeared in, Bowser and Ganondorf being good examples.
Uh, I don't thing he's the best example there considering his standing in Melee.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, the thing about Mario is that he's not just an all-rounder; he's also a Jack-Of-All-Trades. Which is what they were going for with FLUDD. He should be easy to pick up for newcomers, but still be the go-to character for the more advanced players. FLUDD is another move that (while it could still use a buff or two) can really be used to severely gimp the recoveries of other characters. If every move of Mario's is easy and simple, maybe just one complex move wouldn't hurt.

Maybe give Mario the Hover Nozzle as a variation. You know, air use of FLUDD gives Mario an additional recovery that gets better the more you charge it (Think Diddy's Up+B that doesn't suck with minimal charging) and it could boast a constant meteor effect from the stream of water.

The thing about Mario being a jack-of-all-trades is that he has so much potential to put into his moves, limiting him to simple tactics sometimes feels like they're not respecting the character enough, you know?
The thing is, Mario really doesn't need any of that. He's meant to be the most basic character of the game. With Mario, you can have a better understanding of the game's physics.
Let's say someone want's to introduce his friend to Smash Bros, what character does he recommend his friend? Mario. They're on practice mode, and after been explained about the controls, the friend may ask about what the moves do, if he doesn't already figured it out on his own. This is basically what his mentor'd say:

Fireball: "That's the projectile"
Cape: "That's the reflector"
Super Jump Punch: "That's the recovery move"
Mario Tornado: "That's the defensive move"
FLUDD: "It pushes enemies away. It's kinda pointless"

The first four moves are quite basic and easy to use, allowing newcomers to get used to the game by starting with Mario. With FLUDD, though, they're introduced to a complex, situational move that has little use in normal circumstances. And that should not be.
And by the way, he's already a go.to for advanced players in both 64 and Melee. He may be simple, but that doesn't make him any weaker. Due to him having an easy time making combos, dealing damage and finishing off opponents, Mario can become a fearsome opponent in competitive matches (as far as I'm concerned).
Besides, he's already got his iconic moves in Melee. He doesn't need anything else. You shouldn't fix what isn't broken.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The thing is, Mario really doesn't need any of that. He's meant to be the most basic character of the game. With Mario, you can have a better understanding of the game's physics.
Let's say someone want's to introduce his friend to Smash Bros, what character does he recommend his friend? Mario. They're on practice mode, and after been explained about the controls, the friend may ask about what the moves do, if he doesn't already figured it out on his own. This is basically what his mentor'd say:

The first four moves are quite basic and easy to use, allowing newcomers to get used to the game by starting with Mario. With FLUDD, though, they're introduced to a complex, situational move that has little use in normal circumstances. And that should not be.
And by the way, he's already a go.to for advanced players in both 64 and Melee. He may be simple, but that doesn't make him any weaker. Due to him having an easy time making combos, dealing damage and finishing off opponents, Mario can become a fearsome opponent in competitive matches (as far as I'm concerned).
Besides, he's already got his iconic moves in Melee. He doesn't need anything else. You shouldn't fix what isn't broken.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I prefer the tornado over the FLUDD (if just by a little),and while I totally understand what you're saying, I'm just suggesting that if Mario still had FLUDD in Sm4sh, then we have to learn to live with it and hope for the best.

On a side note, I'd say the tornado was probably far more versatile than just a "defensive move." It was an additional recovery, a great combo ender, and could once in a while be used as a surprise attack due to how quickly it starts up.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace

???? Mario has reliable and easy to land kill moves in Melee???? Are you confusing him with Doc?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
???? Mario has reliable and easy to land kill moves in Melee???? Are you confusing him with Doc?
Both, maybe Dr. Mario is a bit more reliable, but Mario isn't overshadowed by him. Forward smash, Up smash, Down smash, Back throw and Forward aerial. They all hit hard and are rather quick (Forward aerial is a bit slow, but effective). They're even better in Smash 64, because everything in that game went flying even farther.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Both, maybe Dr. Mario is a bit more reliable, but Mario isn't overshadowed by him. Forward smash, Up smash, Down smash, Back throw and Forward aerial. They all hit hard and are rather quick (Forward aerial is a bit slow, but effective). They're even better in Smash 64, because everything in that game went flying even farther.
I guess....

GoinBananas

Smash Rookie
I really like Mario across all 3 games. He's one of my mains so that's pretty obvious, but I think people really overlook how versatile he can be in terms of spacing and movement. His B moves aren't anything too special, but I hope they don't tweak them too much. I'm even cool with FLUDD as long as it's improved.

I think you should be able to tap A repeatedly ( or hold A) during Mario's Dair to have the duration of the move increase as well as have it function as The original Mario Tornado with some flashy air streaks on it.

Also it should have the OG Mario Tornado spike from 64.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't get why he has the fludd and not any new move from galaxy or changes at all. I hope he loses the fludd i want him to be great i dropped him in brawl due to he was unfun to play and weak.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
As musch as i love SMSunshine, i hate the FLUDD as an attack in smash games, the Mario Tornado, was so fitting since he gains more height in the air just like in Galaxy.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't just love Mario because he's the mascot of Nintendo, I love Mario because the Mario games are my favorite games, and it really pains me to see how he has been becoming progressively worse.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Eh, F.L.U.D.D.'s cool, they should just have it shoot stronger and have it deal maybe a little bit of damage. Maybe shorten the charge time a bit as well. Not to mention it looks cool having F.L.U.D.D. out for a few seconds after using it.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Eh, F.L.U.D.D.'s cool, they should just have it shoot stronger and have it deal maybe a little bit of damage. Maybe shorten the charge time a bit as well. Not to mention it looks cool having F.L.U.D.D. out for a few seconds after using it.
Is actually highly suspected from some footage we seen (not confirmed) but mario's fludd push back looks alot better.
The charge time should definitely be shortened or removed and have a quick auto charge like ROB

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah in that Rosalina trailer it seems like it blasts more powerfully. I like your idea of having it be an auto charge like ROB's laser. But I'd much rather manually charge it and use it at full charge rather than have to wait for it to build up and then use. That auto approach works for ROB because it does damage. The FLUDD only has pushback, and if it isn't all the way charged then to me it doesn't seem worth doing.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah, people are always making up crap about developers hating whoever and favoring this or that franchise or not being educated with whatever series but it's all in their heads. But Mario always seemed more like a "balanced" character than anything else. He has very basic moveset with standard punches and kicks but he feels great. However, In Mario games and spinoffs where characters had different stats, I would never play as Mario. He could do most the things any other character could do, sans with any standout stats. Like, in Super Mario Bros. 2 I'd always play as Luigi because he could jump higher, or in Mario Kart Double Dash I'd play as Toad or Toadette because their karts had better acceleration, or I'd always use Petey in Mario Strikers Charged because of his offensive deke and power. At least, I feel like Smash gets a "balanced character" right, in regards to Mario.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I always felt as though Mario was designed to be a beginner's character. I don't necessarily think the developers hate him.
The fact that he's a beginner's character doesn't mean he has to suck at higher levels of play. Just look at Naruto on the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games, he's the perfect character for begginers, very easy to use, but he's as deadly as some of the most powerful characters when used by an experienced player, Mario should be like that, he's Mario! For god's sake!

Morbi

Scavenger
The fact that he's a beginner's character doesn't mean he has to suck at higher levels of play. Just look at Naruto on the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games, he's the perfect character for begginers, very easy to use, but he's as deadly as some of the most powerful characters when used by an experienced player, Mario should be like that, he's Mario! For god's sake!
I have never been a big fan of Mario BECAUSE he was a beginners character with no real strengths or weaknesses; however, with move-set customization. I am probably going to give the character another try, the new up-special they show-cased looks amazingly fun and his giant fireball looks like a great zoning tool.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I have never been a big fan of Mario BECAUSE he was a beginners character with no real strengths or weaknesses; however, with move-set customization. I am probably going to give the character another try, the new up-special they show-cased looks amazingly fun and his giant fireball looks like a great zoning tool.
I've always chosen Mario on most games where he's the balanced character, like on SM3DW, I just like how standard and familiar he feels to play, and Project M got him down perfectly!

Top Bottom