• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Destructoid writer: "I'm gonna miss tripping"

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
http://www.destructoid.com/i-m-going-to-miss-tripping-in-super-smash-bros-4-277959.phtml

^ How can this guy have a job? Why are idiots like him being hired? Please help get this idiot fired.

Some quotes:

"That's part of why I'm sad that tripping has been reportedly removed from Smash Bros for the Wii U and the 3DS. While I respect that decision, I feel it would have been better to give players the decision to turn it on or off, or better yet, have the option to make the frequency of tripping even more likely. A game where 1/50, or even 1/5 dashes lead to a trip would be an exciting, hilarious decent into barbarism. "

"Personally, I prefer games that give me the opportunity to safely practice dealing with a flawed, unfair world and an even more flawed, fallible person (myself) than games that work to provide a perfect fantasy where I have total control and predictability. If that's what I was looking for, I'd just play Checkers. It's got the best balance, responsive controls, and is 100% free of unfairness."

I guess this dude can reads his opponents mind because that's the only way a game would be 100% predictable without random elements. Dear god.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
lol wow. It saddens me that there are people out there like this.

Traesket

Smash Rookie

That's his response to basically everyone in the entire world telling him he's ********... Smash balls in competitive play, implement random elements etc. Sounds like an awesome way to play competitively.

Also that second article, best apology ever. How do you apologise again? With more insults.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Because Chess and Starcraft and Street Fighter and Billiards have all these random elements, and a game can't possibly require skill without needing players to constantly cross their fingers for the random number generator, amirite?

His analogy comparing random tripping to a player tripping in a sport was the worst thing ever. A player tripping in a sport is his own slip and much more comparable to messing up a waveshine or missing a tech.

Last edited:

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
the whole article is just absurd. Destruictoid is obviously writing about something he has only a casual viewer idea of. When he minimize the whole competitive smash to having complete control of what your character and your opponent is doing he's completely removing the human aspect of this. His argument would be flawless if we were only considering machines ad inputs. Then it would be obvious why he's right. If smash was only cpu input read we'd just type in a input sequence (which would be the perfect input for each character) and we'd see the inputs being read and the responses appearing on a screen. If the game was based on just that the only thing that would interfere in the perfect outcome of matches would be random events where the processor randomly miss some inputs creating random flaws in perfect data and generating random match events.

The same can be seen into TCG (if any of you is into that). Magic The Gathering, for example. A deck consists of 60 cards, commonly 13~15 lands, 10~20 creatures and the rest are magical cards (spells, enchants, equips, sorcery ... ). Most decks have one specific strategy that consists in a number between 5 and 15 cards. Considering that you can have 4 copies of each card and your combo is a 5 card combo you have 20 cards of the total that are combo cards and the rest are considered assist and resource cards. So out of 60 cards you have 1/3 chance of getting your combo to work. If the game consisted of just drawing cards and performing your winning combo, the only random aspect of the game would be the shuffle before a match. If we assume that we're making the same mistake Destructoid made.

We are forgetting the mind aspect of the game and what makes it so competitive. The mindgames. Outplaying and predicting your opponent move. Getting a knowledge of what they prefer doing and how they respond to certain situations. What are his characters/deck possibilities when i put him in danger. How he CAN counter attack or defend and how he WILL act. Anyone can become a master on tech skill. It only requires practice, patience and a controller. But that's just like building the deck. You can have the best set of cards ever put together on the history of Magic The Gathering and still get outplayed and lose because someone predicted your moves. You got "read like a book".

There's where our hype comes from. It's not just about how to perform a combo, how to execute perfectly, how to godly D.I frame data and character control. It's about getting to know yourself and your opponent. It's about adapting midgame. It's about being able to see where you were mistaken. The beauty of smash isn't on random trips that will ruin your reads because you can't predict when the game will randomly create a possible stock/match loss. It's about whether we will be good enough to outplay someone or polite enough to admit that we were outplayed. No John's involved.

TL;DR : Math is not the whole part of the game. Our psychological aspects is what makes it really incredible. If we don't count the mind aspect of anything it's all about playing perfectly. Happens with everything and will continue to happen. Our inputs are just the smallest part of what's playing competitive smash.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
To be perfectly fair, toggle-able tripping would make perfect sense. As someone who plays a lot of smash casually with non competitive friends having a huge amount of tripping would be hilarious. Cue the drinking games etc.

As someone who also has played a lot of competitive smash no, tripping is an abomination on the competitive scene.

His second article is just blatant troll bait especially when they both seemed pretty calm in what they said. They were literally asked what they would like changed and provided reasoning, he was purely looking to kick up controversy there and it obviously is working.

Edit: Also the magic analogy was all kinds of wrong for magic.... Combo decks do exist and the land/spells/creature numbers were off

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
I guess this writer is just the kind of person who enjoys missing or being critically hit in Pokemon.

"Fantasy"?

Probably in a master-slave relationship with RNG. It's easier to understand where they are coming from if they're turned on by tripping.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hmm. A pretty good sum of the two articles is 'I prefer to be in environments where I am not in control of my surroundings.'

There are people who are like this, but it seems like he thinks his own opinion represents a larger group than it really does.

Also, going on to call these people control freaks kind of shows that he hasn't tried a game competitively. They want control so that they can both go at it at their highest level. It's a cool feeling, being one of two highly skilled players going at it on similar levels. That feeling goes away when weights are tied to your legs (so to speak).

Thor

Smash Champion
TOGOfuff said:
The same can be seen into TCG (if any of you is into that). Magic The Gathering, for example. A deck consists of 60 cards, commonly 13~15 lands, 10~20 creatures and the rest are magical cards (spells, enchants, equips, sorcery ... ).
What kind of low-mana aggressive deck are you running!? I've never got a deck with any consistency with less than 20 lands... or you using Black Lotus and the like? [Generally, use 24 lands] (and you probably run like 20-24 creatures - creature-light decks use 8 or so generally, but often have creature generation in the forms of instants/sorceries).

TOGOpuff said:
You can have the best set of cards ever put together on the history of Magic The Gathering and still get outplayed and lose because someone predicted your moves. You got "read like a book".
They have to mana and be running control or they're hosed. If you've got the best deck and just play your cards, you'll win a lot, sometimes without much thought (shoutout to Red Deck Wins).

Sorry that was totally irrelevant but this annoyed me...

----

I'd love to see this guy play ADHD and see how much he enjoys the banana locks. Or the one-banana infinite.

He clearly has no understanding of what makes a game competitive and should be treated as such.

Or else I need to see an article arguing for tripping in UMvC 3, because it makes sense to trip into zero-deaths, right?

imrai

Smash Apprentice
What kind of low-mana aggressive deck are you running!? I've never got a deck with any consistency with less than 20 lands... or you using Black Lotus and the like? [Generally, use 24 lands] (and you probably run like 20-24 creatures - creature-light decks use 8 or so generally, but often have creature generation in the forms of instants/sorceries).

They have to mana and be running control or they're hosed. If you've got the best deck and just play your cards, you'll win a lot, sometimes without much thought (shoutout to Red Deck Wins).

Sorry that was totally irrelevant but this annoyed me...

----

I'd love to see this guy play ADHD and see how much he enjoys the banana locks. Or the one-banana infinite.

He clearly has no understanding of what makes a game competitive and should be treated as such.

Or else I need to see an article arguing for tripping in UMvC 3, because it makes sense to trip into zero-deaths, right?
If you think Red Deck Wins (or aggro in general) doesn't require thought to win, you are not fit to comment on the subject to be honest. Some of the smartest players that have ever touched those intricately inked pieces of card stock have been aggro players playing good decks and they have lost tournaments with those decks because against a control deck, you can make one mistake and be down 3, 4, even 5 cards if you aren't spot on with your reads to the point of basically knowing what's in their hand without seeing it.

Control has spells that stall the game, wipe the board, regain card advantage, and stabilize from a losing position. Aggro has to invest resources to the board (usually spending its card advantage and life total as the main resources) and has few to zero ways to regain these in most cases (which is why decks like legacy Aggro Loam that actually do have 'virtual' card advantage engines are so powerful, but very few of those exist). In other words, one wrong move by even the smartest aggro player can spell disaster. Put all your dudes on the board and just turn them sideways mindlessly? You're going to get rekt.

tl;dr; you're looking at everything you're talking about from the wrong context; the tripping article, magic, etc;

Also, look up manaless dredge, storm, legacy ravager affinity, ad nauseum tendrils, if you want to see decks that are consistent to the point of competitive legacy viability with between zero and 16 lands.

As for the destructoid writer, it's a blog article. Does sensationalism in internet journalism really surprise you that much?

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
imrai said:
If you think Red Deck Wins (or aggro in general) doesn't require thought to win, you are not fit to comment on the subject to be honest. Some of the smartest players that have ever touched those intricately inked pieces of card stock have been aggro players playing good decks and they have lost tournaments with those decks because against a control deck, you can make one mistake and be down 3, 4, even 5 cards if you aren't spot on with your reads to the point of basically knowing what's in their hand without seeing it.
Control has spells that stall the game, wipe the board, regain card advantage, and stabilize from a losing position. Aggro has to invest resources to the board (usually spending its card advantage and life total as the main resources) and has few to zero ways to regain these in most cases (which is why decks like legacy Aggro Loam that actually do have 'virtual' card advantage engines are so powerful, but very few of those exist). In other words, one wrong move by even the smartest aggro player can spell disaster. Put all your dudes on the board and just turn them sideways mindlessly? You're going to get rekt.
tl;dr; you're looking at everything you're talking about from the wrong context; the tripping article, magic, etc;
Also, look up manaless dredge, storm, legacy ravager affinity, ad nauseum tendrils, if you want to see decks that are consistent to the point of competitive legacy viability with between zero and 16 lands.
After reading your post, you and I are on completely different subjects (other than the whole "It's Magic"), so let's start over here.

First, my "you don't have to think too hard to win" is more related to a drafting or sealed format (which is 40 cards, forgot to mention that, and also luck-based, since you could be sitting next to a draft idiot or pull 6 genius sealed packs) which means if you have actual red-deck wins (especially if it was Dark Ascension, Hellrider so good), then you could put stuff down, turn it sideways, and win games, because that deck was fairly solid (red/green deck wins too). It can (but not often) relate to perfect hands in standard with an aggressive deck (1 drop 2 drop 3 drop 4 drop 3 lands, or something like that), especially if your opponent doesn't do anything but play a land for the first two or three turns [yeah they're holding counter or burn or destroy in blue/red/black, but if they're dropping green lands...], since the only "cheap" board wipes in those formats (as of now) are 4 mana and sorceries [and Anger of the Gods] (Alchemist's Refuge brings it up to 6 mana, which is not helpful against aggressive decks really, and that was in Avacyn Restored, not the current block). There are times where when each player plays their hand perfectly, one will be destroyed, because they should've taken a mulligan or got unlucky draws - it happens.

My "you need like 20-24 land" was for Standard, in the current format (and I guess in the Innistrad/RtR block - not sure how Mirrodin/Innistrad worked). If you can send me a Standard deck list that is strong, wins a lot of events/FNM/whatever (it's strong in practice too), and runs 13-15 land, by all means, but I'm seriously doubting you'll find it. There just aren't enough other good mana producers in the format that mean you can run so little land (mono-green ramp MIGHT pull it off I suppose, but I don't think that's the greatest strategy - as you pointed out for aggressive decks, a single board wipe and it's very difficult to come back).

I run a Standard Deck Maze's End (and not Turbo Fog, that deck is kind of silly and not very strong), so I definitely know about thinking about how to win games, and that most games can't be breezed through. I don't run aggressive decks (usually) because I don't think they're usually the best bet in formats with the kinds of control options that are out there, but I will say that Standard Aggressive Decks do take a lot of thought, both in building them and in deciding how to allocate precious removal spells (they usually have a few, but they are there), and I imagine Legacy aggressive decks are very difficult to run, because of how much awareness of all the cards that exist are to know what an opponent will do.

I've seen low-land decks before, but again, only in Legacy, which I wasn't aware TOGOpuff was referencing. My mistake, and I apologize.

If you're still thinking I have no right to talk about MtG, we can probably discuss this in a private thread, since this thread is about a guy whining that tripping isn't an in-game mechanic, not a discussion of the game of Magic. I will say that I politely disagree in the context of Standard and Limited formats (but I would not presume to know enough about Legacy or Modern to discuss those formats in depth, since I do not attempt to play in either of them). The remark "sometimes without much thought" again was referencing Standard/Limited when your opponent keeps a bad hand or you simply hold all the answers at all the right times, which I have seen before [and also implies you also often need to think things through].

I will say that I think my context of the article was accurate, or else I'd like further clarification of what I'm missing - he's trying to say that random chance makes a game good, and that competitive video games are bad - I don't think he's considered how this would act in other games (tripping into an infinite in UMvC 3) or that people want the game to be competitive (I agree that his examples are rather laughable), where they can control their character with a large amount of efficiency and pit mind against mind, character against character, without allowing for someone to win because the opponent tripped into KO moves 3/4 times while one did not, meaning the opponent had to set up the 2/3 KOs they did achieve.

I find his solution about altering trip rate amusing, because it would give both sides what they wanted, but I don't think the side that wants random tripping is very large.

Last edited:

imrai

Smash Apprentice
He's saying that he likes tripping, because he enjoys not being in control. He doesn't care about how the game is competitive, because he has a noncompetitive personality. That's how he winded up being an internet journalist who doesn't even get his facts right, and that's why you're taking it out of context. He's not writing about a game he perceives as competitive and he doesn't seem to care about having the 'correct perception', quite frankly. Whether or not it is, that's a different discussion. What does not make me mad is that his opinion is different than mine. People like this dig their own grave. You don't want to be in control of your destiny? No problem with me. I'll be over here not sucking at life and bettering myself.

As for if he should be fired? Yes, because you can tell by how many of his facts he got wrong, he does **** for research.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
If that guy wants randomness, tell him to go play Bubsy 3D.
That stuff is random.

Thor

Smash Champion
Thor said:
he's trying to say that random chance makes a game good, and that competitive video games are bad
imrai said:
He's saying that he likes tripping, because he enjoys not being in control. He doesn't care about how the game is competitive
Given the line about "impatient control freaks," what both of us has said is not mutually exclusive. I may not have said he enjoys not being in control, but I did say that he thinks tripping makes the game better (random chance), and that the competition side is bad ("impatient control freaks"), which suggests that he also doesn't care about competition.

I may not read him the same way as you but I'm not misinterpreting the article.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Don't piss off Smash people so much with other articles" and kept him.

Last edited:

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Given the line about "impatient control freaks," what both of us has said is not mutually exclusive. I may not have said he enjoys not being in control, but I did say that he thinks tripping makes the game better (random chance), and that the competition side is bad ("impatient control freaks"), which suggests that he also doesn't care about competition.

I may not read him the same way as you but I'm not misinterpreting the article.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Don't piss off Smash people so much with other articles" and kept him.
Yeah, unless bloggers are doing something just terribly distasteful, it seems most websites don't care these days.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The only tripping I liked was "Forced Tripping" that could be initiated by some characters like Kirby, DK, Ness, Zelda and Diddy's banana. But other than that, I don't think this writer is really looking at the broader picture and knows much about the competitive scene, clearly.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
First of all I think it is unfair and unreasonable to call someone an idiot because they don't share the same opinions as you. If he said "1 + 1 = 11" or something...

Second of all there are TONS of competitive real world sports with random elements. TCGs, Poker.

And TONS of video games with random elements, like all of the popular shooters use random elements in recoil, or the MOBAs with crit chance, or Smash Brothers Melee and Brawl (I mean... hate to break it to you, but its built in guys... unless you want to start banning characters)

Random doesn't negate skill, no, pro players learn to mitigate and/or expand on these risk and use them to their advantages. When you are using random properly it magnifies skill. That's why you see the top players stay on top so long even in games like the ones I listed.

I always plug extra credits... but they are SO good at explaining this stuff.

Thats said I sort of respected the idea of tripping honestly. At casual level it is a LOL RANDOM~ At top level play it is "Am I willing to take this risk now?" (I thought that every time before I dashed in brawl)
Do I think its a great game mechanic? No, I appreciate the intention behind it but... I think there was already enough variation between the walk and run already in brawl. (where as in melee there is no real difference. walking is a slower run) I don't think its a good idea to punish a player for moving...

But because I feel that way doesn't mean everyone has to agree with me. And it definitely doesn't mean they are an idiot if they don't.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
First of all I think it is unfair and unreasonable to call someone an idiot because they don't share the same opinions as you. If he said "1 + 1 = 11" or something...

Second of all there are TONS of competitive real world sports with random elements. TCGs, Poker.

And TONS of video games with random elements, like all of the popular shooters use random elements in recoil, or the MOBAs with crit chance, or Smash Brothers Melee and Brawl (I mean... hate to break it to you, but its built in guys... unless you want to start banning characters)

Random doesn't negate skill, no, pro players learn to mitigate and/or expand on these risk and use them to their advantages. When you are using random properly it magnifies skill. That's why you see the top players stay on top so long even in games like the ones I listed.

I always plug extra credits... but they are SO good at explaining this stuff.

Thats said I sort of respected the idea of tripping honestly. At casual level it is a LOL RANDOM~ At top level play it is "Am I willing to take this risk now?" (I thought that every time before I dashed in brawl)
Do I think its a great game mechanic? No, I appreciate the intention behind it but... I think there was already enough variation between the walk and run already in brawl. (where as in melee there is no real difference. walking is a slower run) I don't think its a good idea to punish a player for moving...

But because I feel that way doesn't mean everyone has to agree with me. And it definitely doesn't mean they are an idiot if they don't.
there's no random factor in any solid competitive game that completely negates a fundamental mechanic to full of risk and little reward. there's already enough luck in smash to suffice (double blind pick, not knowing fully what your opponent is going to do, char MUs, etc..), we dont need to be punished for trying to master our movement options. Plus, the idea of making running a risk by itself is horrible. there's no reward to dashing by itself except for exact positioning and only if smash was turn based. In real time, ou're going to be moving alot, and putting a punish element to dashing randomly isn't good game design period

Top Bottom