• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Defying the Matchup Odds?

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
I was just wondering if anyone else has matchup experiences contrary to what our character matchup guide is saying.

In my experience, Snake is not nearly as difficult of a matchup as people say he is. I've found that Jiggs can approach really well while avoiding his grenade camping and major damage dealing moves (ftilt et al), and if you can predict his airdodges well enough we've got him beat badly in the air.

On the other hand, I've struggled immensely against good Diddys, even though we supposedly should have an advantage. I'm still pretty sure the Jiggs people who think we're dominating this matchup only concern themselves with theory and not practice. In order to approach him, we will be in his banana range; that's just a foregone conclusion because of the size of his hurtbox. And his aerials size up pretty well with ours. And most Diddys learn quickly enough which moves of theirs not to use to avoid perfect rest.

MK is another matchup that I don't think is 45/55 for us, but that's another story.

Framerate

Smash Lord
I agree for the most part. I think the point you are trying to get across, or at least what I got out of your post, is that most if not all of our match-ups are based on theory. So let's discuss some!

Snake kills me. I took Anther to last stock both matches I played against him (ok so maybe he was sandbagging a little but still) but I get wrecked by nobody snakes. It's those **** tilts. His appendages have such huge priority and range, all a snake has to do is throw out a ton of tilts and we can't get close. And let's not even talk about his nair...

But I agree completely about diddy. He is fast. Like, unbelievably fast. I don't care if he doesn't use a single banana, that match-up is tough because of his speed alone. He can get in and out so quick, and his moves have little to no start-up or ending lag. Of course his recovery is uber gimpable, to the point where I get giddy when I see a monkey off stage.

Game & Watch. I love the match-up. I was playing a fox player, lost the neutral, barely won on my CP, and then he CPed G&W on BF. I was relieved. I actually sighed with relief. Then I 3 stocked him. G&W isn't very fast, his moves are predictable, his playstyle is predictable, and a ton of his good moves have lag. Not to mention his kill moves all have start-up lag, sans the fair. I say it all the time, I'd rather play a G&W than Snake any day.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I find Snake to be a lot easier than most of our "bad" match-ups. Though his recovery is great, it's really predictable. If you knock him off stage with Dash Attack and follow him, jump twice and you'll be in Fair range. If he recovers low, he'll be in stage spike range. We're fast enough in the air to follow him without worries. Grenades aren't even an issue with us. Ftilt can be baited with a SH Crosscut airdodge, which leaves Utilt as the only threat.

In case you didn't know, we CAN'T trip in the air. That aside, stay off the ground, and wait for the gimp opportunity. Learn to SH airdodge Banana Grab and keep Diddy away from them. As Frame stated, he's retardedly easy to gimp off stage. Be patient.

The only problem with GW that I have is him nair-ing Jiggs' faux combos and breaking them. Bair out ranges our aerials, but it only covers one side. His smash attacks, while deadly, are faily slow and predictable.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
U-tilt really is the threat against Snake.

And Anther is world's greatest sand-bagger. I think of the 4 times I've played Anther's Pikachu in friendlies, I've beat him thrice. He also almost lost to a level 9 Snake in a circuit event regional pools.

Like... wut.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
U-tilt really is the threat against Snake.

And Anther is world's greatest sand-bagger. I think of the 4 times I've played Anther's Pikachu in friendlies, I've beat him thrice. He also almost lost to a level 9 Snake in a circuit event regional pools.

Like... wut.
Yeah it is. Its why I made the numbers so bad, every move you have loses to U-tilt. That is all. And that is everything.

And yeah, although it was kinda funny when me, who had NO melee experience at the time besides rotating a C-stick, rested him through a windmill lol. He was taunting and teaching me at the same time lol, and he reset afterwards lol.

Top Bottom