• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Definition of a Crew? Fest?

GofG

Smash Champion
Howdy!

So... I have a group of... (counts on his fingers) six friends who I commonly smash with. Once a month, we all get together and play smash for eight hours straight. Now, I have never actually been active in any sort of high-level smash community, so I am not sure if this could constitute a "smashfest" or not.

Now, as we've been doing this for over a year, we're starting to have high visions. I know there's a bimonthly fest at a nearby uni, and we always talk about maybe showing up to learn something. I'm the only one who posts here, and I've seen many different examples of crews here and there, either with a communal sig or whatever. I was thinking: could my little team of smashers be considered a "crew?" What steps would I have to take to have them registered as such?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You don't have to register a crew. A crew is just any group that regularly plays together. A smashfest is any gathering of people to play Smash.

GofG

Smash Champion
I know, but I note that, for instance, on the Smash Wiki, a lot of crews have articles. A lot of crews are nationally recognized. Surely there is some sort of registrar? And if there isn't, there should be. :)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Me, ToXn and Cure are a crew. I would consider 3 or more members a crew. A team is like 2 people. And crews have 'crew battles' against other crews.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
A smashfest is basically when one smasher hosts a bunch of other to play smash at his hours or venue. They're usually big, at least the ones I go to.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
There's no "crew registration" or anything like that. If you want to be recognized as a crew by other people, make a name for yourselves. (in the literal sense, not figuratively speaking) 6 friends who regularly smash together? You can officially be a crew if you want. If you want communal sigs, make them or have a friend make them for you. Like I did.. :p

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the more loose definition of crew and the lack of stringent, concrete requirements is one thing that attracts alot of people to competitive smash. Anyone can get in there and get a name. No registration or any of that crap. Its really a nice, freey and open thing which i think should stay that way.

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah just decide on a name for your crew, introduce yourselfs as a crew, let them know your game tag or your real names, and just smash with the community. You might not be a great crew to start but thats nothing some practice can't fix, as far as getting good, 6 players of equal skill with the knowledge of how to do advanced techs should get you guys really far into being pro in the next year or so. Numbers really help

Zodiac

Smash Master
Me and Yattadante, nick, and sage are a crew, but, the only ones of us that commonly smash are me and Yattadante. Nick smashes with us more now, and we havnt smashed with sage in a long time. I think a crew is a group of your friends you consistently smash with. And Hell unfortunetly moved away.

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
So this is the smash wiki decription of a crew

Crew

A crew is a group of people who usually live in the same area, and who all play Smash together. There is no set number of people required to comprise a crew. Some crews are more active than others, traveling all over the country, making combo videos, or just participating in crew battles at tournaments.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
I also have a crew but none of them are up to my stature...

None of them wavedash shffl or anything should i kick them out or just try to traim them ?

I am the only real good player in my crew are we still a crew??

And yes we smash regularly.

Ares726

Smash Ace
I also have a crew but none of them are up to my stature...

None of them wavedash shffl or anything should i kick them out or just try to traim them ?

I am the only real good player in my crew are we still a crew??

And yes we smash regularly.
Crews don't have to be competitive, in theory. But in my opinion, crews compete. You shouldn't kick them out, help them get better. Just bring them to tournaments. You live in GA, and that's the most active state in the Atlantic South. We have tournaments every weekend (basically).

To me a crew is a group of smasher who consistently play together and attend tournaments. Although, a crew could technically be just a group of smasher that play together...

Top Bottom